Free Gaza! Support the Freedom Flotilla II

142 posts / 0 new
Last post
NDPP
Free Gaza! Support the Freedom Flotilla II

Canadian Boat To Challenge Israeli Blockade of Gaza   -  by John Bonnar

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/johnbon/2011/05/canadian-boat-challenge-...

"...Composed of 600 passengers from 40 countries, the Flotilla will include 12 ships plus the Turkish Mavi Marmara which was attacked by Israeli naval forces in the first mission..."

European Campaign Slams Ban Ki-moon Calls Curtailing Gaza Aid

http://uprootedpalestinians.blogspot.com/2011/05/european-campaign-slams...

"...Ki-moon has deployed official messages to countries overlooking the Meditarranean Sea that have citizens who will take part in the aid mission, calling on them to use their influence to help stop the ships before they set sail to Gaza.

The International Committee to Break the Gaza Siege has held UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon responsible for the danger ahead of Freedom Flotilla 2, set to deliver aid to Gaza in late June.

In the statement, the committee said the activists are carrying out a 'noble humanitarian task that the UN secretary general should encourage and provide protection rather than try to thwart.."

Issues Pages: 
M. Spector M. Spector's picture

Quote:
MONTREAL, May 29, 2011 (AFP) - Canada’s top diplomat warned Sunday against Canadian involvement in a new aid flotilla that organizers say will leave in June for the blockaded Gaza Strip, calling the unauthorized efforts "provocative."

"I strongly urge those wishing to deliver humanitarian goods to the Gaza Strip to do so through established channels," said Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird....

Baird’s warning comes amid reports that a group representing about 100 Canadian organizations says it plans to send a Canadian boat to the Gaza Strip as part of the second "Freedom Flotilla" — this time comprising some 15 ships.

The Canadian government is going into attack mode in support of its Zionist allies in Israel, and the bourgeois media are giving them lots of ink and airtime.

Now is the time for the NDP to step up to the plate and do what's right!

 

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

Canadians to Baird: 'Israel's Gaza blockade is illegal, we will sail to Gaza'

The [url=http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/johnbon/2011/02/canada-boat-gaza-join-fr... Boat to Gaza[/url] (CBG) is dismissing Foreign Affairs Minister Baird’s misinformation about the upcoming flotilla, and is promising to sail with the Freedom Flotilla II next month. John Baird, newly appointed Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister, has taken to discouraging Canadians from participating in the upcoming flotilla, which aims to break the siege of Gaza.

CBG views Minister Baird’s statement as an attempt to abdicate the Canadian Government’s obligation to ensure the safety of the Canadians who will be on board the flotilla, including the Canadian boat Tahrir, and to justify, in advance, any crimes Israel may commit against peaceful unarmed civilians from Canada and all over the world, as it did a year ago tomorrow.

“We are sailing to change the unjust and illegal situation Israel imposes on Gaza and to challenge the Canadian government’s support for those policies,” said Wendy Goldsmith, CBG steering committee member.

“Baird has characterized the Freedom Flotillas as 'provocative'. How is aid provocative? How is standing up for international law and social justice provocative? How is it provocative to work for the freedom of the 1.5 million Palestinians in the open air prison of Gaza?” asked Ehab Lotayef, a CBG spokesperson.

“What’s provocative is the government of Israel’s impunity and systemic violations of international law,” said Lotayef. “What’s provocative is the Harper government acting as an apologist for all of Israel’s actions, even when they are illegal and immoral, like the siege of Gaza. CBG and the flotilla are nonviolent direct responses to Israeli provocation.”

In his statement Mr. Baird mentions Israel's right to prevent the smuggling of weapons.  "What is he trying to imply?" asked Goldsmith.  "If Mr. Baird has any doubts about our mission or what we will carry, we invite him or any Canadian body to inspect the Canadian Boat to Gaza,” she added.

"We would like to remind Mr. Baird that the [url=http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/update/palestine-update-1406... Committee of the Red Cross[/url], one of the official channels to send aid to Gaza, has itself said: 'all States have an obligation to allow and facilitate rapid and unimpeded passage of all relief consignments, equipment and personnel [into Gaza],' not just those passing through channels approved by the government of Israel," said Lotayef.

CBG is a civilian to civilian initiative funded by citizens and civil society organizations and did not benefit from any government funding or taxpayers funds, as some media have recently wrongfully reported.

The full list of endorsements and supporting individuals and organizations is online at www.tahrir.ca.

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

[url=http://www.peacealliancewinnipeg.ca/2011/01/canadian-boat-to-gaza-campai... Boat to Gaza Campaign is Legal, Ethical, and Necessary[/url]

[url=http://www.tahrir.ca/content/canadian-voice-women-peace-supports-canadia... Voice of Women for Peace Supports the Canadian Boat to Gaza[/url]

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

[url=http://www.tahrir.ca/content/canadians-and-others-demand-safe-passage-fr... and others demand safe passage for the Freedom Flotilla II[/url]

Toronto, Thursday May 26th, 2011. Today prominent Canadians from diverse backgrounds united to demand safe passage for the boat sailing to Gaza (tahrir.ca) this spring as part of the Freedom Flotilla II (freedomflotilla.eu) to challenge the blockade which the International Committee of the Red Cross and the United Nations Human Rights Council have called "a crime against humanity."

Human Rights activist (Independent Jewish Voices & Not in Our Name: Jews Opposing Zionism) Suzanne Weiss offers the following, "I am proud to stand today, as a Jewish holocaust survivor, in solidarity with the Canadian participants in Freedom Flotilla II in its courageous mission to challenge inhuman Israel's siege of Gaza. We must demand that the Harper government take steps to guarantee the safety of its citizens who are heading to Gaza on a humanitarian obligation."

James Loney is a Toronto writer and member of Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT), an international violence reduction organization that places teams trained in nonviolence to work in lethal conflict zones. He was kidnapped in 2005 while leading a CPT peace delegation in Baghdad and held for four months. Last month, Loney published a memoir entitled Captivity chronicling his experiences in what is likely the most publicized kidnapping of the Iraq War. Loney states, "When facing injustice, we must choose between the power of violence and the power of nonviolence. Nonviolence leads to a new and transformed social order. The Freedom Flotilla II is nonviolence in action seeking the transformation of the Middle East. We call upon Stephen Harper to support nonviolent change in the Middle East by working to ensure the safe passage of the more than 30 Canadians who will be joining the Freedom Flotilla in late June. One of those Canadians is my friend Harmeet Singh Sooden, whom I was held hostage with for four months in Baghdad. I'm concerned for Harmeet, given what happened on the Mavi Marmara last year."

Anton Kuerti, renowned classical pianist and human rights activist, states: "I strongly support the attempt by Canadians to send a highly symbolic shipment of medicine and other necessities to the people of Gaza, who have, for so many years, been strangled by Israel's cruel blockade, making Gaza indistinguishable from a concentration camp. All we hear about from our government is the need to ensure the security of Israel, but there can never be security for anyone in that part of the world as long as the legitimate needs and rights of the Palestinians in Gaza and elsewhere are deliberately ignored. Israel's arrogance in attacking boats bringing aid to Gaza in international waters can only further inflame the helpless furor of its essentially unarmed neighbour and prolong the debilitating stalemate which has ruined so many lives for so many decades."

John Greyson, filmmaker, professor and activist who will be among the 32 Canadian delegates on the Tahrir, adds: "I'm getting on the boat because, as a filmmaker, I know how cinema can build bridges between worlds. Cinema can capture the subtleties and contradictions of people's lives, in ways that illuminate and enlighten, that keep us all in a room together listening and talking to one other. I'm joining the flotilla because artists, like all citizens, have a responsibility to speak out in the face of injustice. I can hopefully use the tools of filmmaking to contribute something meaningful to this global movement to end the Israeli siege of Gaza. I'm getting on the boat because the people of Gaza need cameras, so that they can tell their own stories: their dreams, their realities, what it's like to live in an open air prison."

Michael Mandel, Osgoode Law School professor and specialist in international law, explains: "The blockade of Gaza is an act of aggression under international law, as is the continued military and settler occupation of the territory seized in 1967 and the denial for 44 years of the fundamental human rights of the millions of Palestinians living there. The occupation has been condemned by the General Assembly of the United Nations, the Security Council and the International Court of Justice. It also clearly constitutes a grave crime in Canada, contrary to the Canadian Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Act. I fully support the right of Israel to exist and to defend its legitimate borders within the ample limits of international law, but the blockade of Gaza goes far beyond that and is an integral part of an egregiously illegal occupation that has to end."

Toronto Quaker and peace trainer Lyn Adamson is Co-Chair of Canadian Voice of Women for Peace and will also be on the Tahrir. She states: "We are extremely concerned about the continuing blockade of Gaza and about its severe impact on the people of Gaza. This blockade is ignored by governments around the world, including our own. We support whole-heartedly the second Freedom Flotilla which seeks to deliver essential aid for the people of Gaza and more importantly to challenge the blockade itself through nonviolent action."

Mairead Maguire, Nobel Peace Prize winner (Ireland, 1976), was in Ottawa for the Nobel Women's Initiative, and commented : "I fully support the call to the Israeli government for safe passage for the Canadian Boat to Gaza. The Canadian boat will join at least ten other boats and another thousand people sailing to Gaza to show the people of Gaza that the world has not forgotten them. I also call on the Egyptian government to allow the Spirit of Rachel Corrie to dock in an Egyptian port for them to deliver the sewage pipe to Gaza."

David Heap speaks on behalf of the Canadian Boat to Gaza steering committee: "Despite the campaign of intimidation targeting our Freedom Flotilla partners in different countries, and despite the threats of violence by the Israeli government, we refuse to be intimidated. Where our governments have failed the Palestinians of Gaza, civil society must act instead. We will sail to Gaza next month to non-violently challenge this illegal and inhuman blockade. As the captain of one of the boats in last year's Flotilla replied when hailed and ask to identify their destination: our course is the conscience of humanity. With this in mind, there can be no turning back."

We also note that the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights welcomes the news of the opening of the Rafah crossing but emphasizes that this does not change the key issue, which remains the lifting of the Israeli blockade of Gaza, in compliance with international law.

 

Northern Shoveler Northern Shoveler's picture

I think Libby and at least one other MP should be aboard as British MP's have been in the past.  This needs to get a high profile.  If the NDP wants to distinguish itself from the other parties then all it needs to do is merely start demanding compliance with UN Resolutions.  This is about Israel defying the UN and imposing its will on a captive population. Taking a line that UN Resolutions are meant to followed not ignored or subverted might even open a door to get them out of their ill conceived support for bombing the crap out Libya.

NDPP

Undefeated, Freedom Flotilla Expands  -  by Eva Bartlett

http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=55867

"...an outright ban on our sailing to Gaza is essentially a statement against the rights of the Palestinian people to control their own ports and lives."

notional

 

Provocative? The cons have a way of framing their words to cast darkness over truth to suit their agenda.

Am I wrong in thinking that this new crime bill will provide the muscle needed in order to control efforts it doesn't support simply based on how they frame events, voices of dissent and acts of protest - no matter how peaceful?

 

NDPP

A Shameless Secretary General Versus Freedom Flotilla 2  -  by Richard Falk

http://richardfalk.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/a-shameless-secretary-genera...

"...it shocks our moral and legal sensibilities that the UN Secretary General should be using the authority of his office to urge member governments to prevent ships from joining Freedom Flotilla 2.."

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/07/baird-calls-gaza-flotilla-provocati... NDP MPs support contentious flotilla to Gaza[/url]

Quote:
NDP MPs Alex Atamanenko and Alexandre Boulerice are among a group of Canadians who back a humanitarian flotilla to Gaza – an effort Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird has called unauthorized and provocative.

The Canadian Boat to Gaza plans to join other countries as part of a 12-boat flotilla this month to bring aid and challenge Israel to stop its blockade of the destitute Palestinian territory....

Atamanenko – MP for the BC southern interior – and Boulerice – Quebec MP for RosemontLa Petite Patrie – are both listed on the Canadian Boat to Gaza’s endorsement page.

Opposition leader Jack Layton said he was unaware the two MPs supported the effort, but party communication advisors were briefed before his scrum with reporters.

“We think that the unauthorized intentions run severe risks,” said Layton, who met with the Israeli ambassador Tuesday. “It’s not an initiative that is supported by the NDP. We want the blockade to end according to the call by the United Nations.”

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird has said those wishing to deliver humanitarian goods to the Gaza strip should do so through “established channels.”

Liberal leader Bob Rae agrees.

So the Liberals, Conservatives, and NDP are unanimous in opposing the Canadian Boat to Gaza.

So much for the theory that broadly-based extraparliamentary social action will pull the NDP to the left.....

Northern Shoveler Northern Shoveler's picture

No support from Libby. 

Embarassed  Frown

Northern Shoveler Northern Shoveler's picture

I've spent over 15 years bucking up first Svend and then Bill.  I'm fucking tired of it.  You work your ass off to send  progressive people to Ottawa and you end up with a sycophant like Paul Dewar taking the lead on international affairs.  I might as well not vote if all parties are going to cheer on NATO's ongoing and expanding war for oil and other goodies.  

I am ashamed to be Canadian.  I am ashamed that our citizenry buys the lies from our state media.  I am ashamed that now the NDP is denouncing Syria just like all the other imperialist parties.  But I have nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. 

NDPP

No doubt the terror tactics against Alex Atamanenko and Alexandre Boulerice have already begun - we'll see if, like Libby, he buckles and recants.

Buck him up:

Atamanenko.A@parl.gc.ca

and Alexandre Boulerice

Alexandre.Boulerice@parl.gc.ca

NDPP

the time to run and hide is definitely past - and as for not voting you'll get no argument from me...

Northern Shoveler Northern Shoveler's picture

When I can walk again I will take to the streets.  I am truly disheartened that the convention is in Vancouver and I cannot attend to tell my party what I think. 

 

NDPP

US Boat To Gaza Is A Quarter Jewish. 'Not Too Shabby!'  -  by Robert Naiman

http://www.truth-out.org/us-boat-gaza-quarter-jewish-not-too-shabby/1307...

"...According to the New York Times, a quarter of the passengers on the upcoming US Boat To Gaza are Jewish.."

Slumberjack

Northern Shoveler wrote:
I've spent over 15 years bucking up first Svend and then Bill.  I'm fucking tired of it.  You work your ass off to send  progressive people to Ottawa and you end up with a sycophant like Paul Dewar taking the lead on international affairs.  I might as well not vote if all parties are going to cheer on NATO's ongoing and expanding war for oil and other goodies.  

I am ashamed to be Canadian.  I am ashamed that our citizenry buys the lies from our state media.  I am ashamed that now the NDP is denouncing Syria just like all the other imperialist parties.  But I have nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. 

The level of disappointment being expressed here appears as clear evidence that you've existed for far too long within the same fiction that has so enraptured the general voting population into expecting anything at all from this representation of a democratic society. As NDPP suggests, the pathetic farce has to be either directly confronted, or provided with the contempt that it so richly deserves from where you are, instead of continuing to engage in the futility of relying on this court of jesters and fools in Ottawa for solutions.

Northern Shoveler Northern Shoveler's picture

The level of frustration is from working for decades within a system I didn't think would make a difference.  However I was willing to work for the individual MP's.  And those MP's like Svend, Bill and Libby were worth fighting for because they unabashedly spoke truth to power.  

But they were also staunch believers in the NDP as a vehicle for progressive change. I have always considered that a bit naive but a positive outlook. Svend's leadership bid brought a lot of activists together in the party.  In the next leadership battle Svend and his close supporters made the decision to back Jack for leader because they believed he was from the progressive side of the party.  How wrong we all were.  First lessons are learnt at the family table and his apparently were great lessons in political expediency. 

I guess when you get close enough to power you get seduced into speaking nice to it.  

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

[url=http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/canadianboattogaza/2011/06/open-letter-n... letter to the NDP: Will you join us in opposing inhumane blockade of Gaza?[/url]

- on rabble.ca

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

There'll be no leadership from the NDP on this issue:

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/06/08/pol-ndp-flotilla-layton... flotilla support up to MPs, Layton says[/url]

Quote:

A media report indicated two NDP MPs had endorsed the Canadian ship that is part of the flotilla.

Asked whether they should remove their endorsements, Layton said: "These are decisions they'll make."

After Layton's comments, only one NDP MP, Alex Atamanenko, was still listed in the endorsement section of the Canadian Boat to Gaza's website. Atamanenko respresents B.C.'s southern interior.

Layton said he has had conversations with the MPs, but told reporters those conversations are private.

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

Matt Gurney, of the Notional Pest, wrote:
Mr. Atamanenko, first elected in 2006, has been quite public with his support of the Gazan cause before. He was quick to condemn Israel for the original flotilla incident. He also criticized its military operations against Hamas terrorists in the Gaza Strip in 2008 and 2009. His endorsement of the Canadian Boat to Gaza is therefore logically consistent, if nothing else.

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

Saw on a Facebook link yesterday that someone in Toronto has filed a lawsuit to try and block the Canadian boat to Gaza from sailing. Didn't save the link, sorry, and can't say I remember much about it.

 

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

Here it is, Boom Boom: [url=http://www.jta.org/news/article/2011/06/07/3088041/lawsuit-seeks-to-bloc... seeks to block Canadian ship in Gaza flotilla[/url]

-------------------------

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB6qZs-VJLw]"This is the Freedom Ride of this era" - Alice Walker[/url] (YouTube, 2 minutes)

milo204

http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=224166

 

Ex-AIPAC members involved.  The logic behind their suit is a joke.  Even if hamas DiD seize the contents of the boat, how do you use medical supplies to bomb people?  

Perhaps they'd be better off investigating how american and canadian aid is actually used to buy munitions that WE ALL KNOW have one purpose, killing palestinians.  

Or better yet, sue AIPAC and the israeli government for putting israelis in the midst of such a violent situation, and continuing to evade peace at all costs so they can steal more land.  That is the reason people in sderot are living in fear.  Not an aid ship filled with volunteers.

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

Wow - she's asking for 1$million - but that has nothing to do with the aid ship as far as I can see.

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

Gaza: A View From the Ground
A South African Perspective
Patrick Bond

June 8, 2011

Quote:   

Apartheid – Israeli Style

South Africans who get through immigration invariably confirm conditions here that deserve the label ‘Israeli apartheid.’ Last month, Judge Richard Goldstone's reputation-wrecking reversal on the UN Goldstone report, regarding the Israeli army's intentional killing of Gaza civilians during the January 2009 “Operation Cast Lead” invasion, cannot disguise 1400 dead, of which no more than half were Hamas-aligned officials.

That massacre was, according to Israeli journalist Amira Hass, a chance for the army to practice high-tech urban warfare against a caged populace, replete with white phosphorous, combat robots, drones and other terror weapons.

Just as I crossed Gaza's northern Erez border post last Friday, Israeli Defense Force soldiers fired on unarmed marchers who are Palestine's unique contribution to the Arab Spring, leaving two wounded. The Sunday before, tens of thousands of these brave people, especially refugees, mobilized using FaceBook and walked to several 1967 lines, resulting in fifteen murders by trigger-happy Israeli soldiers.

Along with the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions non-violent struggle against Israeli power, this Satyagraha-style movement, adopting strategies and tactics pioneered in Durban, South Africa by Mahatma Gandhi a century ago, must strike fear in the hearts of TelAviv securocrats. No longer can they portray their enemies as rocket-launching Islamic fundamentalists who worship Osama bin Laden.

What I also learned from Palestinian civil society activists is that the pillaging of this region by the West is being planned by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank, following similar support to dictators last year – though with unintended consequences! – in Tunisia, Libya and Egypt.

Evidence includes two documents presented by the IMF and World Bank to an April 13 Brussels donor conference, spelling out Palestine's wretched economic fate in technocratic terms. The IMF insists on lower civil service wages, electricity privatization, subsidy cuts and a higher retirement age. The World Bank advocates a free-trade regime which will demolish the tiny manufacturing base...

http://www.socialistproject.ca/bullet/514.php

NDPP

URGENT: Contact MPs NOW To Support The Canadian Boat To Gaza

http://www.tahrir.ca/en/content/urgent-contact-mps-now-support-canadian-...

'Urgent Action Required'

NDPP

NDP MP Retracts Support Of Flotilla To Gaza

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/06/08/ndp-mp-retracts-support-of-flotilla-...

"Quebec NDP MP Alexandre Boulerice has yanked his support of a humanitarian flotilla bound for Gaza this month, following media coverage about the endoresement and a 'conversation' with party leader Jack Layton.."

 

''...members both of the coalition and the opposition are loyal friends to us, both with regard to their worldview and their estimation of the situation in everything related to the Middle East. Canada is a true friend of Israel." Avigdor Lieberman

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

From the same news story:

"Atamenenko's office confirmed he still supports the flotilla but he isn't speaking to the media."

Obviously he's under a gag order from Layton. This is shameful conduct on Layton's part.

laine lowe laine lowe's picture

Well I sent my message to Jack and Paul, and copied Alex.

I strongly support Alex Atamanenko conscientious endorsement of the Canadian Boat to Gaza. I strongly support the global community of conscientious activists who are courageously bringing much needed supplies to help the 1.5 million Palestinians of Gaza who have been living for years in an open air prison.  The time to end the inhumane and illegal blockade of Gaza was yesterday and still our government fails to acknowledge this human rights atrocity.

I thought your position as official opposition would bring much needed change on the foreign policy front. So far, I’m not seeing it. I hope you have a change of heart and reverse your position on this.

Unionist

Excellent, laine!

It seems as if Layton is betraying, with record speed, the expectations of the millions who voted NDP for the first time. They did not vote for this crap. Let's hope the party establishment does not succeed in crushing the spirit of the mostly young idealists who were elected and are expected by their electors to be the harbingers of change and the vehicles to crush Harper's agenda.

 

 

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

[url=http://www.ndp.ca/press/statement-on-gaza-flotillas]Gag me with a fucking spoon![/url]

Jack Layton, in a press release, wrote:

In difficult situations of conflict, it is important to respect people’s right to peaceful protest, and the protection and safety of all parties involved must be a priority.

Earlier this week, I met with the Israeli Ambassador and urged the government of Israel to lift the blockade of Gaza. I also indicated that it was not New Democrat policy to support the flotilla but reiterated New Democrats’ concern for the safety of protesters and urged that the utmost caution be used.

New Democrats echo the United Nations’ concerns about potential clashes between Israeli forces and the activists, and urge restraint on all sides. The NDP has consistently called for an end to the blockade of Gaza to alleviate the human suffering caused by the conflict. We also recognize Israel’s legitimate security concerns with respect to the smuggling of weapons into Gaza and have called for effective international arrangements to address these concerns.

This position is in keeping with the UN Security Council resolution 1860, which called for “an immediate ceasefire in Gaza leading to a full Israeli withdrawal, unimpeded provision through Gaza of food, fuel and medical treatment, and intensified international arrangements to prevent arms and ammunition smuggling.”

We continue to urge the Canadian government to play a balanced and constructive role in the Middle East.

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

"We continue to urge the Canadian government to play a balanced and constructive role in the Middle East."

Holy crap. I don't think I've ever read a more misleading statement from an NDP leader in my lifetime. Hasn't Layton been paying attendance to Harper's total and unquestioned devotion to Israel, and Israel's brutality to Gaza?

 

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

Layton wrote:
This position is in keeping with the UN Security Council resolution 1860, which called for "an immediate ceasefire in Gaza leading to a full Israeli withdrawal, unimpeded provision through Gaza of food, fuel and medical treatment, and intensified international arrangements to prevent arms and ammunition smuggling."

This is not a quote from resolution 1860, but a cherry-picked sequence of words that occur in the resolution, pulled out of their context and strung together, and padded out with other words that don't even appear in the resolution.

Here's the [url=http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2009/sc9567.doc.htm]text of the resolution[/url], omitting only the Preamble:

Quote:
[The Security Council]

1. Stresses the urgency of and calls for an immediate, durable and fully respected ceasefire, leading to the full withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza;

2. Calls for the unimpeded provision and distribution throughout Gaza of humanitarian assistance, including of food, fuel and medical treatment;

3. Welcomes the initiatives aimed at creating and opening humanitarian corridors and other mechanisms for the sustained delivery of humanitarian aid;

4. Calls on Member States to support international efforts to alleviate the humanitarian and economic situation in Gaza, including through urgently needed additional contributions to UNRWA and through the Ad Hoc Liaison Committee;

5. Condemns all violence and hostilities directed against civilians and all acts of terrorism;

6. Calls upon Member States to intensify efforts to provide arrangements and guarantees in Gaza in order to sustain a durable ceasefire and calm, including to prevent illicit trafficking in arms and ammunition and to ensure the sustained re-opening of the crossing points on the basis of the 2005 Agreement on Movement and Access between the Palestinian Authority and Israel; and in this regard, welcomes the Egyptian initiative, and other regional and international efforts that are under way;

7. Encourages tangible steps towards intra-Palestinian reconciliation including in support of mediation efforts of Egypt and the League of Arab States as expressed in the 26 November 2008 resolution, and consistent with Security Council resolution 1850 (2008) and other relevant resolutions;

8. Calls for renewed and urgent efforts by the parties and the international community to achieve a comprehensive peace based on the vision of a region where two democratic States, Israel and Palestine, live side by side in peace with secure and recognised borders, as envisaged in Security Council resolution 1850 (2008), and recalls also the importance of the Arab Peace Initiative;

9. Welcomes the Quartet's consideration, in consultation with the parties, of an international meeting in Moscow in 2009;

10. Decides to remain seized of the matter.

There's a big difference in meaning between "unimpeded provision through Gaza of food, fuel and medical treatment" (Layton's paraphrase) and "unimpeded provision and distribution throughout Gaza of humanitarian assistance, including of food, fuel and medical treatment" (paragraph 2). Moreover, the latter is precisely what the aid flotilla is aiming to do, and the Israelis aiming to prevent. Yet it's not Layton's party's "policy" to support the flotilla, a fact which puts the party at odds with paragraph 4 of the resolution.

Moreover, his only reference to paragraph 6 of the resolution is the reference to "arms and ammunition smuggling". In the first place, this has nothing to do with the aid flotilla; but by mentioning it Layton lays the groundwork for the phony justifications that are to be offered by the Israelis for intercepting the convoy. In the second place, he completely ignores the same paragraph's call for "the sustained re-opening of the crossing points", the failure of which is precisely the problem giving rise to the need for the flotilla's aid effort!

 

NDPP

complete bs and ndp gobbledygook. This is who they are and what they do. Shameful slippery nonsense to disguise the fact they're going to back Netanyahu's Israel on this..

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

[url=http://rabble.ca/rabbletv/program-guide/2011/06/best-net/warren-allmand-... Liberal cabinet minister[/url] supports the Freedom Flotilla II.

So does a [url=http://rabble.ca/rabbletv/program-guide/2011/06/best-net/jim-manly-retir... NDP MP[/url].

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

A CALL FROM GAZA IN SUPPORT OF THE FREEDOM FLOTILLA II : BESIEGED GAZA, OCCUPIED PALESTINE

June 12th 2011 -- We the Palestinians of the Besieged Gaza Strip, on this day, five years after closures began on Gaza, are saying enough inaction, enough discussion, enough waiting - the full siege on the Gaza Strip must end.

Shortly after 2006 democratic election which were supervised by people and bodies from the international community, nations formerly supporting aid and cultural organizations in Gaza withdrew their support. In mid-2007, our borders, controlled by Israel and Egypt, fully closed, locking Palestinians within and preventing imports and exports from crossing our borders.

From December 27 2008 to January 18 2009, Israel waged an all-out slaughter on Gaza, killing over 1500 Palestinians, the vast majority innocent civilians and among them over 430 children, and destroying thousands of homes, businesses, factories and buildings including universities, schools, hospitals and medical care facilities, and damaging vast tracts of our water and sanitation system.

Two and a half years following the cessation of Israel's attacks, almost no homes and few buildings have been rebuilt, our sanitation and sewage system is more dire than ever, raw waste continues to be pumped into our sea -for want of proper treatment facilities -polluting our water and the fish along the coast which fishermen are forced to harvest -banned from entering the 20 nautical miles of sea accorded to Palestinians under the Oslo agreement-contaminating our drinking water and food supply.

Our farmers continue to be shot at, maimed and killed by Israeli soldiers along our border, prevented from working, growing and harvesting their land, denying us a rich supply of produce and vitamins. Nutrient deficiencies and malnutrition continue to rise, affecting our children's growth and their ability to study. Our economy is shut down by lack of functioning factories and electricity. Our students hold little to no prospects of exiting for study abroad, even when placements and scholarships have been secured, due to the Israeli control of the Erez crossing and the Egyptian-controlled Rafah crossing being closed more often than opened. Our ill suffer for want of necessary medications and medical supplies and equipment.

Since 2005, over 170 Palestinian organizations have called for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions to pressure Israel to comply to international law. Since 2005, Palestinians have weekly met in villages in the occupied West Bank and occupied East Jerusalem, to protest Israel 's occupation policies.

Creative civilian efforts such as the Free Gaza boats that broke the siege five times, the Gaza Freedom March, the Gaza Freedom Flotilla, and the many land convoys must never stop their siege-breaking, highlighting the inhumanity of keeping 1.5 million Gazans in an open-air prison.

On the 2nd of December, 22 international organizations including Amnesty, Oxfam, Save the Children, Christian Aid, and Medical Aid for Palestinians produced the report ‘Dashed Hopes, Continuation of the Gaza Blockade' calling for international action to force Israel to unconditionally lift the blockade, saying the Palestinians of Gaza under Israeli siege continue to live in the same devastating conditions. Human Rights Watch published a comprehensive report "Separate and Unequal" that denounced Israeli policies as Apartheid, echoing similar sentiments by South African anti-apartheid activists.

The recent announced opening of the Rafah crossing has yet to be fully enacted. Even when open, it will mean little with respect to the imports and exports of goods to and from Gaza and will not improve the plights of fishermen, farmers and Gaza 's unemployment and manufactured poverty rates.

We request that the citizens of the world oppose this deadly, medieval blockade. The failure of the United Nations and its numerous organizations to condemn such crimes proves their complicity. Only civil society is able to mobilize to demand the application of international law and put an end to Israel 's impunity. The intervention of civil society was effective in the late 1980s against the apartheid regime of South Africa . Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu have not only described Israel 's oppressive and violent control of Palestinians as Apartheid, they have also joined this call for the world's civil society to intervene again.

We call on civil society organizations worldwide to intensify the anti-Israel sanctions campaign to compel Israel to end to its aggression. We call on the nations and citizens of the world participating in the Freedom Flotilla 2 to continue their plans to sail to Gaza where they would be welcomed by Palestinians. The civil society initiatives of the Freedom Flotillas are about taking a stance of justice and solidarity with besieged Palestinians when your governments will not. We call on the Flotilla movement to grow and continue to sail until the siege on Gaza is entirely lifted and Palestinians of Gaza are granted the basic human rights and freedom of movement citizens around the world enjoy.

Signed by:

University Teachers' Association
Palestinian Nongovernmental Organizations Network
Al-Aqsa University
Palestine Red Crescent Society in Gaza
General Union of Youth Entities
Arab Cultural Forum
General Union for Health Services Workers
General Union for Public Services Workers
General Union for Petrochemical and Gas Workers
General Union for Agricultural Workers
Union of Women's Work Committees
Union of Synergies-Women Unit
Union of Palestinian Women Committees
Women's Studies Society
Working Woman's Society
Palestinian Students' Campaign for the Academic Boycott of Israel
One Democratic State Group
Palestinian Youth against Apartheid
Association of Al-Quds Bank for Culture and Info
Palestine Sailing Federation
Palestinian Association for Fishing and Maritime
Palestinian Women Committees
Progressive Students Union
Medical Relief Society
The General Society for Rehabilitation
Afaq Jadeeda Cultural Centre for Women and Children
Deir Al-Balah Cultural Centre for Women and Children
Maghazi Cultural Centre for Children
Al-Sahel Centre for Women and Youth
Ghassan Kanfani Kindergartens
Rachel Corrie Centre, Rafah
Rafah Olympia City Sisters
Al Awda Centre,
Rafah Al Awda Hospital,
Jabaliya Camp Ajyal Association,
GazaGeneral Union of Palestinian Syndicates
Al Karmel Centre,
Nuseirat Local Initiative,
Beit Hanoun Union of Health Work Committees
Red Crescent Society Gaza Strip
Beit Lahiya Cultural Centre
Al Awda Centre, Rafah
Al-Quds Bank for Culture and Information Society
Women section -union of Palestinian workers syndicate
Middle East Childrens' Alliance -Gaza
Local Initiative -Beit Hanoun

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture
epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..thank you M. Spector. do you have a link to this?

edit to add: found it

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/canadianboattogaza/2011/06/call-gaza-sup...

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

Well, Atamanenko is still there, even though he's been silenced.

The fact that Libby Davies isn't there is testimony to the atmosphere of intimidation that must exist in the federal NDP caucus.

remind remind's picture

*snerk*

 

So you are saying Libby is being intimidated, and we are supposed to believe that?????

 

LMAO

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

remind wrote:

*snerk*

 

So you are saying Libby is being intimidated, and we are supposed to believe that?????

 

LMAO

When you finish laughing your ass off, you might pause to contemplate what her reason could possibly be for not endorsing this broadly-based humanitarian effort. Then you might let us know.

You might also get a huge chuckle out of the fact that one NDP MP has already been intimidated by Jack Layton into withdrawing his endorsement of the CBG.

Aristotleded24

M. Spector wrote:

Well, Atamanenko is still there, even though he's been silenced.

The fact that Libby Davies isn't there is testimony to the atmosphere of intimidation that must exist in the federal NDP caucus.

While I am surprised that Libby's name wouldn't appear on the endorsement list, she does not strike me as the type who is easily intimidated. I cannot speak for why that would be the case, but to conclude that it must be the result of intimidation is very disrespectful and insulting to Libby.

remind remind's picture

Aristotleded24 wrote:
While I am surprised that Libby's name wouldn't appear on the endorsement list, she does not strike me as the type who is easily intimidated. I cannot speak for why that would be the case, but to conclude that it must be the result of intimidation is very disrespectful and insulting to Libby.

IMV, it is more than disrespectful and insulting.

Moreover, the presumption that the fellow who withdrew his name was intimidated into doing so, is almost as offensive, but on a different level.

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

Um, Libby was the one who was forced by the party to grovel before the media after she had been tricked by a mischievous interviewer into saying that Israel's occupation of Palestine began in 1948 (which of course in fact it did, but truth doesn't enter into the picture apparently).

And new Quebec MP Alexandre Boulerice was an endorser of the Canadian Boat to Gaza until the day after Jack Layton found out about it and told the media the NDP didn't support it. Boulerice's name mysteriously vanished form the list of endorsers the next day, and he has given no explanation.

And the only remaining NDP MP endorser refuses to talk to the media about it.

Now tell me with a straight face that there's no intimidation going on in the NDP caucus with regard to support for the struggle of the Palestinians.

Slumberjack

M. Spector wrote:
Now tell me with a straight face...

That they can is the issue.

Northern Shoveler Northern Shoveler's picture

Libby has received a lot of donations from peace activists and Palestine advocates over many elections.  Her outspoken advocacy in areas that others were too timid to enter has earned her the respect of many in this country.  Her and Bill Siksay were sometimes lonely voices speaking truth to the power of oppression but they were welcomed by many of us.

Where is her voice when the NDP is abandoning its anti globalization policies and adopting a pro NATO pro "humanitarian" intervention policy.  If she hasn't been silenced then I would like her not anyone else to tell me why she no longer speaks with a burning desire to see justice and peace for the people of Palestine and Libya. What in the world has changed that has caused her to no longer speak on the important struggles that she used to be so eloquent about?   Why is she not walking the walk any more?

Aristotleded24

M. Spector wrote:
Now tell me with a straight face that there's no intimidation going on in the NDP caucus with regard to support for the struggle of the Palestinians.

Where's your evidence to back up the claim? Conversations? Letters? Leaked e-mails? Far as I can see, there is no evidence, just your speculation presented as an iron-clad fact. Is there intimidation going on in the NDP Caucus? I can't say one way or the other because I don't know. I do know that Libby is not the type of person to be intimidated easily, nor does it logically follow that Boulerice was intimidated. You think he was, and you're entitled to that viewpoint, but just expressing that viewpoint doesn't make it a fact because you say it does.

Aristotleded24

Northern Shoveler wrote:
Where is her voice when the NDP is abandoning its anti globalization policies and adopting a pro NATO pro "humanitarian" intervention policy.  If she hasn't been silenced then I would like her not anyone else to tell me why she no longer speaks with a burning desire to see justice and peace for the people of Palestine and Libya. What in the world has changed that has caused her to no longer speak on the important struggles that she used to be so eloquent about?   Why is she not walking the walk any more?

Good questions. We should ask  her.

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

Aristotleded24 wrote:

M. Spector wrote:
Now tell me with a straight face that there's no intimidation going on in the NDP caucus with regard to support for the struggle of the Palestinians.

Where's your evidence to back up the claim? Conversations? Letters? Leaked e-mails? Far as I can see, there is no evidence, just your speculation presented as an iron-clad fact. Is there intimidation going on in the NDP Caucus? I can't say one way or the other because I don't know. I do know that Libby is not the type of person to be intimidated easily, nor does it logically follow that Boulerice was intimidated. You think he was, and you're entitled to that viewpoint, but just expressing that viewpoint doesn't make it a fact because you say it does.

I presented the evidence in detail immediately before the part you quoted. It all came from the media and my own observation of the state of the endorsers list of the CBG from time to time. I have no inside information.

But we have the evidence of 3 NDP MP's whose behaviour resembles that of persons who have been intimidated - all on the same issue - and you have nothing to put on the balance scales on the other side. Excuse me for drawing logical inferences.

Aristotleded24

M. Spector wrote:
Aristotleded24 wrote:
M. Spector wrote:
Now tell me with a straight face that there's no intimidation going on in the NDP caucus with regard to support for the struggle of the Palestinians.
Where's your evidence to back up the claim? Conversations? Letters? Leaked e-mails? Far as I can see, there is no evidence, just your speculation presented as an iron-clad fact. Is there intimidation going on in the NDP Caucus? I can't say one way or the other because I don't know. I do know that Libby is not the type of person to be intimidated easily, nor does it logically follow that Boulerice was intimidated. You think he was, and you're entitled to that viewpoint, but just expressing that viewpoint doesn't make it a fact because you say it does.
I presented the evidence in detail immediately before the part you quoted. It all came from the media and my own observation of the state of the endorsers list of the CBG from time to time. I have no inside information.

But we have the evidence of 3 NDP MP's whose behaviour resembles that of persons who have been intimidated - all on the same issue - and you have nothing to put on the balance scales on the other side. Excuse me for drawing logical inferences.

Once again, your inference does not a fact make.

Pages