Justin needs our help on the TPP

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
indigo 007 indigo 007's picture
Justin needs our help on the TPP

 

When the kick ass corporate lobbyists come calling for Justin’s signature on the TPP we need to be there for him.

 The way for us to be there is to let him know in no uncertain terms this agreement has to be trashed. We need to give him our reasons for refusing it.  We have to do it in large numbers by fax, phone, petition, email and good old snail mail.

We have to be the louder voice! Corporations have bags of money. They have undue influence.  Their only loyalty is to profits and profiteering. For them people come last.

Our only weapon is our voice. It must be loud, clear and unequivocal.  

We must authorize Justin to quite simply tell them, “The people say no!”

Please support my petition:

http://you.leadnow.ca/petitions/kill-thetrans-pacific-partnership-tpp

Contact your MP:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parliamentarians/en/members

Email feedback to the Government of Canada:

TPP-PTP.consultations@international.gc.ca.

 

 

 

monty1

indigo 007 wrote:

 

When the kick ass corporate lobbyists come calling for Justin’s signature on the TPP we need to be there for him.

 The way for us to be there is to let him know in no uncertain terms this agreement has to be trashed. We need to give him our reasons for refusing it.  We have to do it in large numbers by fax, phone, petition, email and good old snail mail.

We have to be the louder voice! Corporations have bags of money. They have undue influence.  Their only loyalty is to profits and profiteering. For them people come last.

Our only weapon is our voice. It must be loud, clear and unequivocal.  

We must authorize Justin to quite simply tell them, “The people say no!”

Please support my petition:

http://you.leadnow.ca/petitions/kill-thetrans-pacific-partnership-tpp

Contact your MP:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parliamentarians/en/members

Email feedback to the Government of Canada:

TPP-PTP.consultations@international.gc.ca.

 

As always, the loud voices of the  people are very important. Trudeau's Liberals are in the right head space on the issue but there is going to be huge pressure. Not only on Trudeau for this issue but also for his stance on the US's wars in the ME.

We voted for the Liberals and Trudeau and only received a third of the vote, or a little more. But we also can feel sure that on most issues the NDP are with the Liberals, pulling from the left as the Conservatives are alone pulling from the right. All 99 of them. We can at least feel secure in that we are the 65% to 70% on most issues.

Notalib

Moreover instead of hangin the new Governemnt with the Harper negotiated TPP, the NDP should be "proposing" versus simply opposing. By that I mean, the NDP claimed during the election they would end the TPP. They should say how they would have done that, show Justin's Liberal's the way. Mulcair made no bones about his position while at the same time expecting to become PM. How would he have ensured the end of the TPP as he claimed he would? Layton did well with the "propose" vs "oppose," it delivered Canada's first and only"NDP Budget." That approach would be much more fruitful for the future of the NDP than simply tarring the Liberal government with a Conservative trade agreement.

mark_alfred

Notalib wrote:
By that I mean, the NDP claimed during the election they would end the TPP. They should say how they would have done that, show Justin's Liberal's the way.

If I recall correctly, Mulcair officially put it on record in a letter to Minister Fast that the NDP would not consider itself bound to an agreement that was negotiated by a government during an election campaign since that government is in "caretaker mode", and thus not truly representative.  Therefore, (I'm guessing) they would deem that a proper agreement was never reached with Canada, and the case would be made for renegotiating it.  Regardless, he stated that he would not table it.

This was quite publicly done, but the Liberals did not follow suit, even though they too had concerns that the "Harper Conservatives have failed to be transparent through the entirety of the negotiations." (link)

jjuares

mark_alfred wrote:

Notalib wrote:
By that I mean, the NDP claimed during the election they would end the TPP. They should say how they would have done that, show Justin's Liberal's the way.

If I recall correctly, Mulcair officially put it on record in a letter to Minister Fast that the NDP would not consider itself bound to an agreement that was negotiated by a government during an election campaign since that government is in "caretaker mode", and thus not truly representative.  Therefore, (I'm guessing) they would deem that a proper agreement was never reached with Canada, and the case would be made for renegotiating it.  Regardless, he stated that he would not table it.

This was quite publicly done, but the Liberals did not follow suit, even though they too had concerns that the "Harper Conservatives have failed to be transparent through the entirety of the negotiations." (link)


Renegotiation is probably a non- starter but Canada should not sign. More ominously the new Liberal government seems to want to look at free trade with China.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

I would be satisfied if the NDP had a simple bottom line message. Any "trade" deal with an Investor's rights clause will not be acceptable.

mark_alfred

kropotkin1951 wrote:

I would be satisfied if the NDP had a simple bottom line message. Any "trade" deal with an Investor's rights clause will not be acceptable.

That makes sense.  NDP policy says the following,

Quote:
New Democrats believe in

Not negotiating investor-state dispute resolutions mechanisms into trade agreements, consistent with the policy of the Labor government and party of Australia.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

But Mulcair instead talked about Harper not the fact that every preview of the deal showed it had a investors rights deal on steroids. Yes Mark I know that is what the policy says that wasa passed by convention. Despite that clear policy direction the NDP cacucus supported the Jordan Canada free trade agreement. It is actions like that which make them look like hypocrites that test the wind before taking a position. The NDP of course hates China because it is evil but likes the monarchs in the Middle East because they are our allies and good friends with our best friend israel.

The NDP gave up the moral high ground on free trade and that is why they did not gain any advantage over the Liberals on this issue during the last election. It could have been a game changer if they had a clear message about investors rights clauses instead of we don't like the fact that it is Harper negotiating.

Quote:

The NDP, breaking with tradition, supported the recent free-trade agreement with Jordan. On the other hand, it opposed the acquisition of Canadian oil firm Nexen by the Chinese state-owned firm CNOOC, and has deep reservations about the foreign investment protection agreement the Harper government signed with China.

These mixed signals reflect conflicting constituencies. While Quebec, where so many NDP MPs now hail from, is generally pro-free trade, the party’s labour wing is suspicious of foreign deals and environmentalists loathe them. The West is mostly open for business; Ontario workers split between globalists in the office towers and protectionists on the assembly line.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/can-the-ndp-find-its-way-in...

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..investor-state dispute resolutions or not no deal should be signed where corps and govs go off in secrert to negotiate...and citizens have no meaningful say. trade deals impact us all in devestating ways including climate. they exploit us but even more folks in poorer countries and it's time we made greater effort in standing against this. we need referendums for them to be implemented because it's dam clear we can't trust parliment to look out for us.

NDPP

Good For Them Not For You: Tell the Government To Reject the TPP!

http://www.leadnow.ca/reject-tpp/

**URGENT**

 

Our new government is under intense pressure to sign the TPP IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS. We can stop it but we need to speak out now. Please send your quick message and we'll make sure it gets to the official consultation address..."