Police State

370 posts / 0 new
Last post
epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

Portland Police Under Fire over Friendly Texts with Far-Right Leader

In Oregon, Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler is calling for an independent investigation after newly revealed friendly text messages between a Portland police officer and the leader of a white supremacist group provoked backlash last week. On Thursday, Willamette Week reported that Portland police officer Jeff Niiya exchanged hundreds of messages with Joey Gibson, leader of the far-right group Patriot Prayer, including sharing information on upcoming protests organized by leftist, anti-fascist groups. Some have defended the friendly tone of the exchanges, saying it is a common police tactic, but others point to a track record in Portland of failing to hold far-right groups accountable while targeting anti-fascist protesters. Last August, Portland police found a group of Patriot Prayer members on a rooftop with a cache of guns right before a major white supremacist rally. No arrests were made of Patriot Prayer members—and Portland police instead fired rubber bullets at anti-fascist protesters at the march.

NDPP

Ebay Founder Pierre Omidyar is Funding a Global Media Information War

https://t.co/PtYoqQG8Dk

"Pierre Omidyar has become a politically sophisticated data monarch through his purchase of a media empire and national security state ties. And while he directs his fortune into many of the same politically strategic NGOs and media outlets that George Soros does in hotspots around the globe, he has never been subjected to the public scrutiny and often ugly attentions that dog Soros. And yet, Samantha Power, the former US ambassador to the UN and liberal interventionist guru, has explicitly praised Omidyar as someone who is following in his footsteps..."

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..turn the post into a thread.

Aristotleded24

More OPP officers died by sucide than on duty

What's the relevance? Whatever we may think of the institution of police, being a police officer is a tough job that takes a huge psychological toll on those who do it. That stress is no doubt a huge factor in police abuse (although not an excuse) because a person under that level of stress can only hold it in for so long before snapping. We hear a great deal about violence directed at police officers. That is because it is easy to use that issue to support restricing freedom in the name of safety. How can an officer suicide be scapegoated to the benefit of the ruling class?

To bring police unions into this discussion, since the police unions are supposed to be advocating for the interests of their officers, why don't we hear anything from them about protecting their psychological well being?

Unionist

Aristotleded24 wrote:

More OPP officers died by sucide than on duty

What's the relevance? Whatever we may think of the institution of police, being a police officer is a tough job that takes a huge psychological toll on those who do it. That stress is no doubt a huge factor in police abuse (although not an excuse) because a person under that level of stress can only hold it in for so long before snapping. We hear a great deal about violence directed at police officers. That is because it is easy to use that issue to support restricing freedom in the name of safety. How can an officer suicide be scapegoated to the benefit of the ruling class?

To bring police unions into this discussion, since the police unions are supposed to be advocating for the interests of their officers, why don't we hear anything from them about protecting their psychological well being?

I'm unimpressed by that CBC report. Maybe I should read Marin's full report?

How can a journalist write an article like this without asking themselves:

"What's the suicide rate for the overall population? Is it more or less than the OPP suicide rate?"

It's irresponsible and scandal-mongering to tell half the story.

I found this Stats Canada summary on suicide rates, from 2009. It put the male suicide rate that year at 17.9 per 100,000. I'm taking the "male" rate because I'm guessing that the vast majority of OPP officers are male (especially if we're looking back since 1989 - women were only first admitted in 1974). So if you multiply that rate by 30 (because Marin's study is since 1989), you get roughly 540 per 100,000 over 30 years. Marin says 23 officers (including retirees) have taken their own lives since 1989, while the current OPP has 8,000 in all. I'll take 8,000 as the annual figure, just because I don't have any other info. That means that for a population of 8,000, the 30-year rate (540 per 100,000) should have produced:

(8,000 ÷ 100,000) x 540 = 43.2 suicides.

I dunno, but sounds to me like those poor oppressed OPP folks are enjoying life to the fullest, compared to the rest of us.

If my math is wrong, please let me know. More importantly, "news" stories like this should be written more responsibly.

 

Aristotleded24

Marin estimates the number of officer suicides since 1989 to be 23.

I also don't know what "killed on duty" means. Does it refer to the number of officers murdered, or the total number of officers who die in the line of duty from such things like traffic accidents? That's another thing we don't often hear about.

It is true that there are professions that are far more dangerous than being a police officer. That does not mean that if it can be shown that police forces are not doing all they can to protect their members (and by "protect," I mean "look after their health and safety," not "turn a blind eye and refuse to hold them accountable for their misdeeds") that the problem shouldn't be addressed.

Unionist

Aristotleded24 wrote:

Marin estimates the number of officer suicides since 1989 to be 23.

Yes, I got that.

Quote:

That does not mean that if it can be shown that police forces are not doing all they can to protect their members (and by "protect," I mean "look after their health and safety," not "turn a blind eye and refuse to hold them accountable for their misdeeds") that the problem shouldn't be addressed.

The stats that I found and my calculations show that the rate of suicide among OPP officers is far less than the average of the male population as a whole. So what is there to address? I'd rather address issues like, say, disarming cops? Stopping racial profiling? Etc.

Aristotleded24

What is there to address? Maybe that when we talk about the dangers of being a police officer, certain dangers are played up because it allows governments to more easily control the population. But if an officer commits suicide or has serious mental health problems, how can the powers that be effectively turn that around to their advantage? There are also mental health hazards that officers come across that have nothing to do with criminal activity, for example traffic accidents, missing children, people who freeze to death, people who commit suicide (sometimes even in the officer's presence) and so on. But we only hear about the stresses of dealing with the "bad guys," even though dealing with "bad guys" is only part of a police officer's duties.

And since when does one come at the expense of the other? Why can't we provide better support for officers while at the same time holding officers accountable when they violate people's rights?

Unionist

A24: Did you get my point that police suicides are far less than the average? Did you wish to comment on that?

Aristotleded24

Unionist wrote:
A24: Did you get my point that police suicides are far less than the average? Did you wish to comment on that?

Fair enough, I'll concede that point.

My point: Stress that police experience on the job not direclty related to violent attacks is not discussed openly in large part because it is not convenient to turn that around in order to increase government control. Do you wish to comment on that?

Unionist

Aristotleded24 wrote:

My point: Stress that police experience on the job not direclty related to violent attacks is not discussed openly in large part because it is not convenient to turn that around in order to increase government control. Do you wish to comment on that?

That could very well be correct. I'm just not familiar with any information on such police stress. The article you linked provides none. If you have other sources, I'll gladly have a look and give an opinion. 

WWWTT

Unionist wrote:

If my math is wrong, please let me know. More importantly, "news" stories like this should be written more responsibly.

 

No there’s nothing wrong with your math! There’s nothing wrong with the stats you used either. All very logical. 

What you did is you found a real jem of an example of why the cbc is just another icm outlet. 

Way more construction workers have died in Canada than cops! I don’t need a stat either. I know this for a fact!

when I was working at the Portland’s power plant project in Toronto in 2008 (snc-lavelin project by the way!) an electrical apprentice died working on a panel. Real sad story because electrical apprentices aren’t allowed to work on live panels and his father was a foreman on the same job. Did the cbc do a story on it? If they did, it was buried and got next to no coverage. Same goes for most work related deaths. Oh but when a cop dies, whole fucking country is supposed to go into mourning. 

Thank you icm for telling me who’s lives are more important than mine!

Paladin1

WWWTT wrote:

Oh but when a cop dies, whole fucking country is supposed to go into mourning. 

 

Are we?

NDPP

America's Killer Kops (and vid)

https://t.co/rUtMUfaUuS

Bodycam footage shows Vallejo police shoot Willie McCoy while asleep in his car.

Our American 'friends' and their murderous piggery.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

I didn't know where to post this very disturbing article. This RCPM officer needs to be fired for his treatment of this young woman and his obvious misunderstanding of the term sexual assault.

Police briefly interviewed her and then she was brought into the West Kelowna RCMP detachment the next day for questioning with two ministry workers.

She said a male officer immediately took her into an interview room and started to barrage her with questions.

“I felt very alone in there,” she told APTN. “There was no parental support for me there at all. I was terrified.”

‘Were you at all turned on during this at all? Even a little bit?’ the officer said. “You understand that when a guy tries to have sex with a female and the female is completely unwilling it is very difficult.”

In one exchange, he appears to question how hard she tried to fight during the alleged assault.

“Go over again with me how did you try and get him to stop,” he said. “Did you scream ‘no’ did you say ‘get off me’, did you say ‘this was rape? I need you to stop?’”

https://aptnnews.ca/2019/05/13/were-you-turned-on-by-this-at-all-even-a-...

 

NDPP

New Zealand PM Leads Global Internet Censorship Campaign

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2019/05/18/chch-m18.html

"No one should be fooled by worthless assurances that these governments and corporate giants will protect 'freedom of expression'. What constitutes 'terrrorist' or 'extremist' material will be decided by the state agencies. The New Zealand prime minister, having been glorified in the media internationally for sharing 'kindness' and 'compassion' following the Christchurch shootings, has become one of the chief propagandists for censorship globally. More sweeping and permanent censorship mechanisms are being planned..."

NDPP

Canada's National Security Landscape Will Get A Major Overhaul This Summer

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-c59-national-security-passed-1.518...

"Canada's national security architecture is about to undergo a major demolition and rebuild this summer, now that C-59 has received royal assent. The bill, which  after two years, passed through both houses of Parliament this week - gives Canada's signals intelligence agency new powers, although most of its new authority, will come into force down the road.

Once the prime minister and cabinet issue an order, the Communications Security Establishment will be permitted under C-59 to launch cyber-attacks (also called 'active cyber-operations') for the first time in Canadian history. Civil liberties groups have warned that a section of C-59 dealing with CSIS and datasets has the potential to usher in mass surveillance."

This dovetails nicely with the news release by Global Affairs Canada, after the recent official visit to Washington that the 'Prime Minister Announces Enhanced Cooperation With the United States.'

Moo...

NDPP

Canadian Spies Given New 'Disruption' Powers To Combat Foreign Influence in Elections

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2019/07/04/canadian-spies-new-d...

"Canada's domestic intelligence agency sees its new 'threat reduction' powers as a tool to disrupt foreign influence including during the upcoming federal election campaign. Canada's intelligence community has already identified foreign operations targeting the country's 'democratic institutions' ahead of the Oct 29 election. The Communications Security Establishment, Canada's [FIVE EYES] cyber defence and espionage agency, has assessed it's 'very likely' that foreign actors will attempt to intervene in the election - although not of the scale [NOT] seen [Only alleged] in the 2016 US presidential election.

But civil liberties groups have expressed concerns about CSIS's ability to disrupt [alleged] threats with little public oversight - or even public knowledge - and these concerns are likely to be more pronounced when it comes to intervening during an election period. Cara Faith Zwibel, a director of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association said it's a 'fundamental concern' for her organization. 'We outside of the security agencies don't really know what they're doing..."

'Russiagate' - a gift that keeps on giving : although disproven still manufacturing international consent for police state enhancements which will ultimately be used against you. Let it be a lesson for chumps everywhere to learn the true costs of treating propaganda campaigns of intelligence agencies and msm as 'truth.' Dark official forces will always exploit your gullibility. Beware...

NDPP

American Apocalypse

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/08/23/american-apocalypse/

"This is how you prepare a population to accept a police state willingly, even gratefully. Mark my words. There's trouble brewing..."

Pages