Talking about race with white people

707 posts / 0 new
Last post
Timebandit Timebandit's picture

I think what we can do is step into the opportunities that present themselves to make things better. Pipe up when the opportunity arises. Simply being aware and looking for opportunities to equalize things is a feat in itself. Seeing it, acknowledging it, even when you can't directly do anything about it helps, too.

Boze

Bret Weinstein posted one of his "colleague"'s posts recently.

I don't understand how anybody could say that this woman's co-workers shouldn't be expressing their utmost contempt and disgust for her, with a lot more than eye-rolling.

Can we dispense once and for all with the notion of collective guilt? With the idea that "this is YOUR mess"? I'm not responsible for racism. Whiteness is not responsible for racism.

Paladin1

6079_Smith_W wrote:

That's the thing about our privilege. You don't see that you aren't being followed around by security, or carded by cops because it isn't happening to us.

So what are you doing about your white privilage Smith?  Do you demand store security follow you? Do you demand cops card you?

 

 

Seen this on FB. Really captures, in my opinion, a lot of the virtue signalling going on.

6079_Smith_W

Yeah, I do feel pretty fortunate that I don't have to spend my time looking over my shoulder and considering where it is safe and not safe to go. I think it is shitty that is how things are for many people because in a decent world they should enjoy the same freedom we do.

And that is precisely why I speak up about it.

 

 

Paladin1

6079_Smith_W wrote:

Yeah, I do feel pretty fortunate that I don't have to spend my time looking over my shoulder and considering where it is safe and not safe to go.

I understand the context you're using but never the less being vigilant and spending time doing threat assessments (or safety assessments?) isn't time wasted.  Being white isn't a bullet proof shield and I would argue in certain areas being white and well dressed might infact make you a target.

Quote:
I think it is shitty that is how things are for many people because in a decent world they should enjoy the same freedom we do.

I've read reports comming out of Syria and Iraq of women being starved then fed their own babies. I don't think we live in a decent world at all.

Quote:

And that is precisely why I speak up about it.

The girl in the Twitter pic-capture I posted is speaking up about it too.

 

 

 

6079_Smith_W

So you don't think we should do anything to change what is wrong in the world?

You don't think we as white guys should recognize that people of colour and women have a much different and more difficult experience in this world than we do, and that in many ways we benefit from that?

As for throwing whatever lame shit you can find just to see if it might stick, sorry, I'm not buying it.

WWWTT

Timebandit wrote:

I think what we can do is step into the opportunities that present themselves to make things better. Pipe up when the opportunity arises. Simply being aware and looking for opportunities to equalize things is a feat in itself. Seeing it, acknowledging it, even when you can't directly do anything about it helps, too.

Helps who? Minorities or white people who feel guilty about their privelage?

This is what I think helps:

1)Free education

2)Increasing minum wage to 18-20 $/hr ($15/hr was a great idea in 2014! Please check your calendars and the cost of living people!)

3)De-militarization of the police, less emphasis on more police is better, like the saying goes , less is more.

4)Establish a ministry of anti poverty

5) Possibly rewrite the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms to address workers.

That billboard add in a way can be a very very bad approach to racism in Canada! In a way it does nothing at all and it is only used as a diversion! What that add does is put the burden of responsibility of colonialism/racism/imperialism on to people who have very little chance of actually changing a political system in Canada that revolves around corporate extrapulation of services and resources(slave labour is dependant on racism)

Look at this add and tell me what is wrong with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZGghmwUcbQ

I remember when I was on FB, my very first FB friend Fred Hahn would post these rediculous videos. I would explain to my brother that these adds are intended to put the burden of responsibility on to the people who have absolutely no ability to actually do anything about poverty, malnutrition injustice etc etc. They are intended to reflect away from corporate evils. I was in Bangkok in 2012, I gave money to those desalute childrens mother as their child slept face down on the pavement beside them covered in filth! Did they get a university education? Oh fuck no! Maybe they got food to eat that week at best!

Here's another idea, how about an add with a white provincial/federal leader (ya I know Canada has so few to choose from so it will be really tough to find a white premier/pm) and have a caption below their long sad faces saying that the negative impacts of racism are my responsibility and I benefit from white privelage!

Lets all hold our breath together for that one to happen.

6079_Smith_W

So you can't fight poverty and work for labour rights and recognize racism at the same time? Or better still recognize the intersection between that and systemic racism and sexism.

Or is it just a handy distraction? If we put our focus on workers' rights and point the finger at how racist politicians and the rich are we can ignore our own racism and privilege.

Nice try, but Brad Wall isn't the guy who allegedly shot that kid for coming in his yard. And he isn't one of the people in that area who still think their property is the main problem here. It is regular people who are doing that.

 

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

That post is reeking with privilege. "Not my responsibility, I didn't do it!" No, not personally and no one ever said you did. So let's stop arguing a position no one's ever taken - you're building a straw man argument, your logic is faulty and you sound like a defensive little boy. Grow the fuck up.

The fact is, those of us who benefit disproportionately from systemic racism *are* the ones who have to step up to make change.

And while I agree that all of the points made above regarding education, law enforcement and onward are things we should strive for, stepping up in small ways where you can is also a good idea. You *can* do both, you know.

My thought, though, reading this thread, is that there are some posters here who aren't going to leave their comfort zone. I'm not even sure why they're here on rabble.ca. It's threads like this one that make me wonder if babble should just shut down.

6079_Smith_W

I am of two minds about it. On the one hand it is kind of a depressing indication of who is here, and more importantly who is not.

On the other hand, it calls these boneheaded attitudes out of the woodwork. I have said already that much of this commentary perfect examples of stupid racist defensive white thinking. They could just sit back and ignore it, but of course white guys gotta get in there and whine about how hard done by and misunderstood they are, and how it is all about them and how this is just how things are.

I'd rather spend my time dealing with weightier issues, and I do just assume the mods are monitoring this and are fine letting it go, but if it is going to be there I think there is some value in people seeing out in the open how stupid this stuff is.

(edit)

... and of course, trashing something until it needs to be shut down is the desired result.

 

WWWTT

Timebandit wrote:

That post is reeking with privilege. "Not my responsibility, I didn't do it!" No, not personally and no one ever said you did. So let's stop arguing a position no one's ever taken - you're building a straw man argument, your logic is faulty and you sound like a defensive little boy. Grow the fuck up.

The fact is, those of us who benefit disproportionately from systemic racism *are* the ones who have to step up to make change.

And while I agree that all of the points made above regarding education, law enforcement and onward are things we should strive for, stepping up in small ways where you can is also a good idea. You *can* do both, you know.

My thought, though, reading this thread, is that there are some posters here who aren't going to leave their comfort zone. I'm not even sure why they're here on rabble.ca. It's threads like this one that make me wonder if babble should just shut down.

First off, that's a real good rant brother/sister! Little heavy on the insult side but pretty good and with some misguided linear thinking hallmark of good rants!

Sure  responsibility bears on the shoulders of white people! White people are the ones that created the system we all must adhere to in Canada (or no wait a second, is it "white" people or "greedy wealthy white" people?) But look at that billboard again. And ask why is it so vague? Why can't the billboard add actually address the hard core realities of those who benefit from racism the most? Is that white person wealthy? Or is he homeless?

Lets look at a homeless white person, is the homeless white person not prejudiced against? Does that homeless white person have the same opportunities as a wealthy well educated white person? Does the security gaurd not follow around the homeless person? Are laws not passed at the municipal level outlawing panhandling and basically declaring war on homeless people? Do homeless people even have a color?

Boze

Benefiting from something and being responsible for it are not the same thing. I'm all in favour of doing whatever I can to reduce racism and other forms of discrimination, both at the individual and at the systemic level. But no, I do not accept that my responsibilities and options must be circumscribed by my location along racial, gender, class etc. axes. 

And let's not pretend that we aren't living in a time when anti-oppression theory is being maliciously misused by people who barely understand it and have an axe to grind. i.e. "stop hiring white people"  http://blogs.ams.org/inclusionexclusion/2017/05/11/get-out-the-way/

As for shutting down Babble, can we talk about how this board has declined in membership over the last ten years, mostly due to heavy-handed moderation, splits and internecene warfare, and the evaporation of genuine progressive/labour politics in the wider society generally? 

6079_Smith_W

See what I mean about the desired result?

And yeah, let's hide behind homeless people now.

WWWTT

6079_Smith_W wrote:

So you can't fight poverty and work for labour rights and recognize racism at the same time? Or better still recognize the intersection between that and systemic racism and sexism.

Or is it just a handy distraction? If we put our focus on workers' rights and point the finger at how racist politicians and the rich are we can ignore our own racism and privilege.

Nice try, but Brad Wall isn't the guy who allegedly shot that kid for coming in his yard. And he isn't one of the people in that area who still think their property is the main problem here. It is regular people who are doing that.

 

Ohh I like your comment here!

Ok here it is, are you ready?

Compare racism to a disease. Diseases have symptoms. To lose the symptoms, you cure the disease. Very simple really. So how do you cure racism? Is racism the disease or the symptom of the disease? We have all these different cures for racism, the billboard add is just the newest cure. But racism still exists. And gues what? Unless all those things I mentioned happen today, racism isn't going away. Racism is the symptom of corporations running the country. Racism is a symptom of colonialism/imperialism. Racism is a symptom of greed and the worship of money. Racism is a symptom of ignorance.

Remember these two white people? One is a real hero who threw away her so called white privelage career to fight a servant of evil sent by the corporate/imperial forces to destroy human equality in political practice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dKdBlKgquw

WWWTT

6079_Smith_W wrote:

See what I mean about the desired result?

And yeah, let's hide behind homeless people now.

Ya shame on me to mention that homeless people are discrimated against. I should add that many have mental health issues that many people in Canada, because of prejudice and ignorance, do not feel are real health issues that need to be desperately addressed. Ya what was I thinking, racism, prejudicm and ignorance could never be related and overlap?

Paladin1

6079_Smith_W wrote:

So you don't think we should do anything to change what is wrong in the world?

Quite the opposite actually. Most of us could do a lot more to help.

Quote:
You don't think we as white guys should recognize that people of colour and women have a much different and more difficult experience in this world than we do, and that in many ways we benefit from that?

Strawman argument my friend. Never have I suggested anything of the sort. I believe I actually pointed out that I'm probably one of the most privilaged posters here. 

Serious question here, if you get pulled over by the police for speeding and they let you off with a warning do you, as a white het male, demand they give you a ticket? Demand that they search your car? Demand they treat you the way you percieve POC are treated? Do you give them shit for only giving you a ticket and tell them that if you were a black male then they would have given you a ticket?

What's your opinion of the girl comments in the picture I posted? Do you think she was in the right telling the black male that she cares more for his race than he does?

Paladin1

Timebandit wrote:

My thought, though, reading this thread, is that there are some posters here who aren't going to leave their comfort zone. I'm not even sure why they're here on rabble.ca. It's threads like this one that make me wonder if babble should just shut down.

Am I one of the members who you believe won't leave their confort zone?

 

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Yes, absolutely. Continuing to defend your stance with stupid-assed suggestions like demanding a traffic ticket because you're white illustrates my point perfectly.

Paladin1

Timebandit wrote:

Yes, absolutely. Continuing to defend your stance with stupid-assed suggestions like demanding a traffic ticket because you're white illustrates my point perfectly.

 

Fair enough. So how then do I come out of my comfort zone? What would I have to do to do better?

I already recognize my massive privilage. I educate others in real life on the various forms of privilage. What's my next step?

PS I wasn't defending my stance but rather asking Smith about his.

6079_Smith_W

Sinead O'Connor is Irish, and she's talking about the pope. It has nothing to do with white privilege; it has to do with the effect of that religion on her people.

Sure, there will be no racism once we realize we are all workers and achieve the revolution. I think I have heard that one before.

And Paladin, you asked that question already and I answered you at 655.  I'm not going to defend stupid internet memes that have nothing to do with what we are talking about. You aren't black, and I'm not making assumptions about a sign.

 

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Fair enough. So how then do I come out of my comfort zone? What would I have to do to do better?

Not making stupid-assed arguments like the one I referenced would be a start. When you do that, it makes all the stuff you say you do much less believable.

Paladin1

Timebandit wrote:

Not making stupid-assed arguments like the one I referenced would be a start. When you do that, it makes all the stuff you say you do much less believable.

Alright, no stupid assed arguments (questions/suggestions). What's the next step for me?

Paladin1

6079_Smith_W wrote:

I'm not going to defend stupid internet memes that have nothing to do with what we are talking about. You aren't black, and I'm not making assumptions about a sign.

That wasn't a meme Smith. It was a black person saying that KKK spelled out (what's probably quite accidentally) wasn't offending him and a white girl suggested she cared more about blacks than he does.  We're talking about race with white people and there's a pretty significant exhange, if you ask me, between a white person and a black person.  Unless you think white people are in a better position then black people to determine what's offensive to blacks?

I think it's a great example (or poor, depending how you look at it) example of a white person virtue signalling.

WWWTT

6079_Smith_W wrote:

Sinead O'Connor is Irish, and she's talking about the pope. It has nothing to do with white privilege; it has to do with the effect of that religion on her people

 

Ya so what? Sinead was doing a lot of Canadians a favour! Don't think so?

http://www.thewhig.com/2013/07/12/why-a-pope-john-paul-ii-day-is-wrong

 

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
I think it's a great example (or poor, depending how you look at it) example of a white person virtue signalling.

I think that in the end, the term "virtue signalling" will be laid at the feet of the haters (like "politically correct") but I think that's a shame.  It nicely explains someone's need to tell me how they're vegan, or tell me how they do cross-fit, or tell me how they only buy "fair trade" coffee -- none of which I really want to hear all about.

6079_Smith_W

Ah, so that's where you got the word from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling

And what are you talking about Magoo? No one is forcing any of this on you. This thread is about white privilege and white racism, and has been for five years. If you don't want to hear about it you don't have to be here.

But of course all of you do have a reason for being here , so please spare the whining about how those of us who do take this seriously are somehow forcing it on you to presumably make ourselves look good.

Paladin1

6079_Smith_W wrote:
But of course all of you do have a reason for being here , so please spare the whining about how those of us who do take this seriously are somehow forcing it on you to presumably make ourselves look good.

To steal a quote from this thread "it's not about you".

I can't speak for others but when I'm refering to virtue signalling I'm speaking about people like in the example I posted and not directing it at anyone on the forum.

 

Are you disagreeing that there ARE people out there who virtue signal when it comes to anti-racism? Who are less than magnanimous in their actions?

6079_Smith_W

Well you are asking me about it, and trying to challenge me on a bunch of other stuff. My guess is your bringing it up has something to do with me.

If not, why are you demanding some sort of response from me rather than just leaving it as your own opinion?

But if you really want to know I don't care about some encounter in an internet thread, Paladin. Is that really the most important thing for you?

WWWTT

Virtue signallin? Is that like a US citizen saying, hey I'm not racist, I'll vote for Barak Obama, then Obama expands US military campaigns sending tens of millions of lives in chaos. And Obama's impact on racism itself in the US is virtually undedectible?

Paladin1

I don't see anywhere I made demands of you Smith. I value your opinons and views hence why I'm asking you. I believe there is a difference between asking your opinion and views on this stuff and accusing you of being guilty of a certain behavior.

I just found it interesting because on one hand we're talking about how white people need to shut up and just listen more. Yet there's also white people out there who think they're so enlighten and "woke" (or whatever you wanna call it) that they're confortable telling black people they're opinions on racism and whats offensive is wrong. I'll point out I'm not lumping you in with that catagory.

I touched on some of this stuff earlier like white people calling black people racist or straight people calling conservative gay people bigots and such.I'll digress and have a drink.

Paladin1

WWWTT wrote:

Virtue signallin? Is that like a US citizen saying, hey I'm not racist, I'll vote for Barak Obama, then Obama expands US military campaigns sending tens of millions of lives in chaos. And Obama's impact on racism itself in the US is virtually undedectible?

 

Nope not at all.

WWWTT

Paladin1 wrote:

WWWTT wrote:

Virtue signallin? Is that like a US citizen saying, hey I'm not racist, I'll vote for Barak Obama, then Obama expands US military campaigns sending tens of millions of lives in chaos. And Obama's impact on racism itself in the US is virtually undedectible?

 

Nope not at all.

Why not? If someone's willing to stick their neck out for a different race, wouldn't that same person actually give a break to a visible minority the oportunity to prove themself and vote for them?  Or does voting for a visible minority disqualify someone from the term "virtue signalling" 

 

WWWTT

6079_Smith_W wrote:

City of Saskatoon bus ad:

take look at this picture again 

is this just a random picture? If so, then why is this guy have a beard and not clean shaven? Why did they use an older guy with dark frame glasses?

 Could a younger model not be used, one clean shaven?  Why isn't he wearing a tie? In fact why does this person not look like a stereo typical successful white male as opposed to a dirty white hippie a little cleaned up? Check out their web site and they also use a woman's image to pretty much explain the same thing. 

6079_Smith_W

Asking me why I don't demand that a cop treat me like a non-white person isn't exactly valuing my opinion.

If you are going to come out with stuff like that, or that internet smear, please don't act coy and pretend you are just asking honest questions. I know you are not stupid.

 

 

6079_Smith_W

*sigh*

Maybe because he is not a model, but a real person expressing his real feelings?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/billboard-racism-saskatoon-respo...

WWWTT

6079_Smith_W wrote:

*sigh*

Maybe because he is not a model, but a real person expressing his real feelings?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/billboard-racism-saskatoon-respo...

Sigh all you want brother/sister, I pointed out the possibility of how this campaign may not do anything other than act to deflect from the root causes of racism. Ok then, why didn't this guy shave his beard clean shave, use different glasses, where a tie? Did no one make these suggestions? Did he not think of this?

Sounds like you don't even want to look at the possibility of what I suggested. Now that's something to sigh about.

WWWTT

6079_Smith_W wrote:

Sinead O'Connor is Irish, and she's talking about the pope. It has nothing to do with white privilege; it has to do with the effect of that religion on her people.

One of the reason's why I posted that clip is to show a white person with white privelage the sacrifice she made. She made the selfless act in New York city. There has been many comments here of what white people can do. I believe it's actually a damn good example! I stand by it!

6079_Smith_W

You mean dress himself up like a stereotypical white business guy so we could again pretend this is something only wealthy and powerful people do? Perhaps that is what you want, but it isn't what the campaign is about.

He said: "I feel that it is a good thing to examine my own stuff."

It is kind of defeating the purpose if you can pretend that it is only rich guys who need to do this work and that it is not directed at all of us. In fact it is about all of us looking at ourselves and asking these questions. That's why he is a normal person and not the monopoly man.

And there are some good white people? Sure, but be careful, someone might accuse you of virtue signalling. I'll just say so what? It doesn't erase the reality of white privilege. Besides, as I said, what she was doing was calling out the pope, and as a woman, she has a personal understanding of the oppressive nature of that church in a way that men do not. So it isn't simply good white heroism.

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

O'Connor was sexually abused as a child and was sent to a Magdalen laundries group at 14 for being delinquent. Her protest had nothing to do with race and one could argue that it came from a place of non-privilege - as a female survivor of abuse. It's rare that one of those finds a platform like the one she had access to. She's also spoken out about racism and acknowledges white privilege. 

You you seem to be having trouble with the idea that we come with varying types and levels of privilege or lack thereof. 

WWWTT

Hey I'm just providing some different views That's what these forums are for actually.

I came across this article. I have heard of this before.

https://medium.com/message/how-white-people-got-made-6eeb076ade42

“There’s nothing that a white man with a penny hates more than a nigger with a nickel!” — Chris Rock

There’s a perception that whiteness is working for white people. It’s not. Whiteness is one of the biggest and most long-running scams ever perpetrated.

The above link is actually a good read! Divide and conquer has been around a long time. And it never went away! 

One of the reasons's why I think racism is around still is because the causes are still there. And the corporations have no interest in sharing the wealth. If you worship money, the corporations win. Basically if you share the same values as the elite, you lose!

So if a black man has a nickel, and I have a penny, I'm happy for the black man!

I personally have no interest in forcibly changing anybodies perceptions. 

6079_Smith_W

In case anyone thinks this is the only place where it is going sideways (I know it is on various forums and threads here in Saskatoon). And there's this:

http://healingfromwhiteness.blogspot.ca/2017/05/post-mortem-conversation...

(edit)

On the nickel thing, problem there is that it doesn't all come down to financial equality. I heard a radio documentary last year about an African American college professor who shot and killed a burgler in his house. There were two of them - one white, and one black. He was fortunate enough to kill the black one, and was not charged himself. He said hewas terrified at the thought of what might have happened to him if he had killed the white man instead, even though they were invaders in his house, and even though he was a professor.

 

 

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Well off and middle class black people still suffer from systemic racism. It doesn't matter how much money you have.

Remember when Oprah Winfrey was dissed by the Hermes scarf store? No other billionaire media star would have been treated that way. Now, I'm not proposing that we weep for Oprah's scarf shopping debacle, however, her blackness was absolutely a factor in being treated differently, even in her stratosphere.

It's not about the money, honey.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
There were two of them - one white, and one black. He was fortunate enough to kill the black one, and was not charged himself. He said hewas terrified at the thought of what might have happened to him if he had killed the white man instead, even though they were invaders in his house, and even though he was a professor.

Had he been a white professor, I'm sure he'd have been relieved if it turned out that he shot the white criminal!

Because these days, it matters.  Even if some fuckwad smashed their way into your house for who-knows-what reason.

Did the local BLM chapter have a statement on the latest loss of life by a black man, tho?

6079_Smith_W

Cute.

I guess you can afford to have a chuckle over that SJW conundrum. It's not like you have to seriously think about how little it takes to wind up getting shot or lynched, like what had that fellow terrified. Or actually getting shot and killed for just being black, as has happened to many more.

Or having to deal with the shitty realization that you are glad you didn't shoot the white guy, because you know your life isn't worth as much as his just because you are black.

In fact had the situation been the same your white guy would probably wind up walking like George Zimmerman. So while I know you're just making a fucking joke about it, I don't think that's how it usually works when a white person kills a black person.

Or maybe you're equating his poor hurt feelings with someone winding up dead.

 

 

 

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

I'm just pointing out that either way it's a coin toss, if you shoot an intruder in the dark.

If he's the same race as you, it's reasonable defense of property and safety.  If he's not, it's racism.

Personally, I'm just happy to see that it's OK to shoot a criminal in your house now. 

6079_Smith_W

I guess that makes this racism. 

http://nationalpost.com/news/toronto/egregious-police-cover-up-alleged-i...

Honestly Magoo, do you believe these things you are saying, or is this just some fratboy game to you?

6079_Smith_W

From this morning's Sunday Edition. "White innocence":

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/social-media-bubbles-dyson-on-r...

 

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
Honestly Magoo, do you believe these things you are saying, or is this just some fratboy game to you?

What are we supposed to say about a story such as the one you told?  It's literally about what DIDN'T happen.  It was a happy ending, for everyone except one burglar.  That burglar could have at least seen his face on a thousand t-shirts and posters, except he had the bad luck to be shot by a guy the same skin colour as him.

Paladin1

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Had he been a white professor, I'm sure he'd have been relieved if it turned out that he shot the white criminal!

Because these days, it matters.  Even if some fuckwad smashed their way into your house for who-knows-what reason.

Yup.

Mr. Magoo wrote:

I'm just pointing out that either way it's a coin toss, if you shoot an intruder in the dark.

If he's the same race as you, it's reasonable defense of property and safety.  If he's not, it's racism.

Yup. I just read an article where a black writer complains that white women "walk racist". The white women don't move out of the way for him because they're racist and they don't see him as a person.  Someone wisely pointed out if they did move out of the way for him then the article would have been about women walking racist and getting out of his way because hes black and they're afraid of him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4720006/New-York-Times-reporter-...

Quote:

Personally, I'm just happy to see that it's OK to shoot a criminal in your house now. 

Canada has surprisingly strong home defense laws, so to speak. The problem is police can find other ways and reasons to charge you if you use a firearm to defend your life and family in your home. Were your firearms properly stored and locked? Where was your ammo and was it locked? Did you use a pistol or AR15 because they can only legally be used on a registered forearm range. Discharging a firearm in the city limits.

You can shoot (and kill) a home intrder in Canada but it runs a very real risk of bankrupting you.

6079_Smith_W

Happy ending?  That a guy is so terrified about what might have happened if he shot a white guy that he thinks it is better that he killed someone of his own race?

I think you are missing the point of the story, which is that it doesn't matter how wealthy a black or Indigenous person is, they are always at risk of being killed just because of the colour of their skin.

Pages