"Sacrifice Medal" for Canadian soldiers who die of disease or by accident

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Unionist
"Sacrifice Medal" for Canadian soldiers who die of disease or by accident

Not a proper subject for babble banter, you say?

Then why am I laughing???

[url=Criteria">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/criteria-for-earning-sacrif... for earning Sacrifice Medal disputed[/url]

Quote:
A year-long dispute over who should get Canada's Sacrifice Medal has resulted in a decision by the military to award it to soldiers who have lost their lives to accidents or illness overseas, as well as those who have died or been wounded in combat. [...]

The definition of service-related includes, but is not limited to: deaths caused by vehicle crashes, parachute or diving accidents, the accidental discharge of weapons, ammunition accidents, fires, falls, heart attacks, heat stroke, exhaustion or stress. The criteria also mention accidental death when travelling on duty and death as a result of mental disorders “directly attributable to military service.”

Sic transit gloria mundi. Or something like that.

 

Frmrsldr

The Cons. want to give a medal to soldiers who have been killed in "friendly fire" incidents and who have committed suicide because of the stress the military puts on them, making them feel that there is no other option or way out.

Whatever it takes to keep soldiers, their families and chicken hawks in the general Canadian public supporting the war. How incredibly tragic and pathetic.

Snert Snert's picture

They need a special Medal Of Adequacy.  Perhaps a slightly hand-drawn circle shape in a practical and inexpensive metal like nickel.  A coat-of-arms could feature a beaver rampant, giving a thumbs up, and holding a Tim Horton's cup, across from Don Cherry holding a hockey stick and making a fist.  Beneath could be inscribed "Ego Sum Victor" (Latin for "I'm a winner").  All members of the CF who are not convicted of High Treason or found to be a prank ("Lt. Hugh G. Rection") would be recipients.

Frustrated Mess Frustrated Mess's picture

Why stop there? Why not the Canadian Medal of Mediocrity not just for soldeirs but for C students, Starfucks baristas, and mid-level bank managers.

Sineed

How about medals for people who die in workplace accidents?  

Contributing to the global economy, they made the ultimate sacrifice.

Unionist

I knew I was in the right forum. Snert, you just made the Hall of Fame. FM, you had a recent win, so I'll award you second place.

 

Webgear

A Sudbury soldier badly injured in Afghanistan received a standing ovation Monday in the House of Commons.

MPs got to their feet following Sudbury MP Glenn Thibeault's statement to House of Commons outlining fundraising efforts for Kerr.

"Mr. Speaker, I am pleased to speak today about how Sudbury proudly supported one of Canada's heroes on Oct. 4, I -- with close to a thousand other Sudburians Hiked for a Hero -- this hero is Cpl. Bill Kerr," the NDP MP said.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2137770

 

He did not get a medal by he got a standing ovation.

Jingles

Setting the bar loooowwww for "hero".

There was a time, I hear tell, when one had to do something heroic to be called a hero. Now, it's enough just to put on a clown suit.

But back to the "sacrifice" medal....uh....you get it when you're dead. Not exactly inspiring.

BTW, it's [url=http://www.whitepoppy.org.uk/]white poppy season[/url] again!

Rexdale_Punjabi Rexdale_Punjabi's picture

I cant cosign this or think that its funny either. It means that many "accidental" deaths are gonna be overlooked and will proly be a way to "deal with" elements in the military starting to grow tired of the long war in Afganistan and starting to speak out.

 

On top of that while I say Fucc Canada I still got nuff love for the lower level soljaz because they aint even at fault a lot of em took the job because its the best paying one avail and at the end of the day they have no control they just following orders, so I cant support making fun of them when they getting shot up.

 

Laughing at ppl dieing is fucced up either way.

 

and also can U take Army Basic training without having to actually join the army and be shipped off? Sounds like a good idea when u get to 18 because it gets you way stronger in a short time too.

Slumberjack

I didn't think it was funny either, toting around pieces of friends in garbage bags, while listening to the screams from survivors.  Perhaps one day they'll mint something for the elitists and their mockery, which captures the essential element of how they view the appropriateness of death and maiming.  Something along the lines of this:  Laughing

Unionist

I thought the last two posters would have understood that by giving this medal - indeed, by sending our youth to Afghanistan in the first place - it is our politicians and senior military officials, safe in their beds, who are mocking the "soljaz" by pinning medals on their corpses. The "elitists", on the other hand (meaning the anti-war activists), are their only hope.

 

Slumberjack

Try as I may, I haven't been completely successful with setting down an unambiguous opinion in all instances, one which should readily suggest itself as an inflexible line between the more immediate and just victims of murderous aggression, and those whose fate some may consider to be suitable just desserts as accomplices to aggression. When we see flagged caskets, ramp ceremonies, highway greetings for the procession of the dead and the production of utterly meaningless bobbles, these things have no other purpose but to beguile mourners and the gullible public alike, forming part of the unrelenting birth to grave propaganda campaign through which the entire apparatus of society applies itself towards shaping the belief systems of human beings who must be kept in thrall in order to be primed and ready to accept their own place in the order, which is at the disposal of the dominant class and its machinery of death. To find anything worthy of humour from full spectrum plutocracy in all of its irresistible persuasions, one would have to momentarily set aside the seething hatred that it deserves to manage even a grimace.

martin dufresne

I am with Rexdale and Slumberjack on this. It is pretty pathetic and unmistakably classist to challenge honouring the dead instead of taking down the scheming lying politicians who send them off to die.Why is Unionist laughing? Good question. I am still wondering myself. Let's run some workplace casualties past him to see if and when he stops.

 

 

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

"Unmistakably classist"?

You are mistaken.

Snert Snert's picture

Quote:
Let's run some workplace casualties past him to see if and when he stops.

 

That was already suggested, upthread. Thing is, if we started awarding medals of glory to construction workers who fall off a girder 12 storeys up, nobody would be laughing at the death of a worker, but we might also laugh at the absurd consolation prize of a meaningless medal. Does nobody get that that's what's being made fun of? The maudlin and jingoistic use of false tributes to wrap even flag-wrapped caskets in more flags?

 

I mean, can somebody please help me understand why, if you die of heat stroke here in Canada you're an unlucky chump who should have worn a hat, but if you die of heat stroke sitting around Kamp Kandahar, you're a hero, in the same cohort as some guy who threw himself on a grenade? How does that make sense? And why would we want to needlessly dilute whatever honour might be due for that second guy, by lumping him in with the first?

Slumberjack

I'm not saying that challenge and criticism should be withheld from the methods by which corporate scam and fakery honours its indoctrinated masses.  And I believe that I understand Unionist's point of view.  The focus should be placed where it most belongs.

Slumberjack

Snert wrote:
  I mean, can somebody please help me understand why, if you die of heat stroke here in Canada you're an unlucky chump who should have worn a hat, but if you die of heat stroke sitting around Kamp Kandahar, you're a hero, in the same cohort as some guy who threw himself on a grenade? How does that make sense?

And why would we want to needlessly dilute whatever honour might be due for that second guy, by lumping him in with the first?

To the first question, parasites opportunistically feed from the things which are uniquely designed to provide sustenance in maintaining themselves. The things that have no value to them are passed over as being inconsequential to the immediate concern.

To the second question, a back read through post #11 might indicate how I sympathize with you.

martin dufresne

M. Spector:"Unmistakably classist"? You are mistaken.

Who is the last Rosedale preppie who blew up over an IED? If you can't see you are alienating working-class folks with your cheap yuks, there is nothing else I can tell you.

 

 

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

Accusing working-class folks of "classism" for mocking the state's hypocritical awarding of military medals for the act of dying is yuk-worthy enough in its own right.

Jingles

Quote:
 If you can't see you are alienating working-class folks with your cheap yuks, there is nothing else I can tell you.

Translation: Support the troops.

Sineed

"Fallen heroes or dead soldiers?"

http://www.joerebholz.com/FallenHeroes.html

Quote:
Some people use the phrase "Fallen Heroes" to refer to US soldiers killed in Iraq. This usage is pernicious for several reasons. First, it is a lie. Not all soldiers killed in Iraq are heroes. Some surely were, but most were not. Some soldiers in Iraq die in accidents --- their vehicle goes off the road into a canal and they drown --- or an enemy explosive comes out of the sky when they are walking from one building to another and they are killed --- or their vehicle is blown up by an enemy bomb in the road. There are many un-heroic ways to die in a war. All the deaths are tragic and sad, but not everyone who dies is a hero.
 

Frustrated Mess Frustrated Mess's picture

There is a simple solution to this. Every person who dies, from whatever cause, in what ever state or circumstance, with an annual income below $50,000, shall be regarded a hero and a medal shall be awarded and issued to that person's estate. For each person earning in excess of $50,000 there will also be a state funeral with honours commiserate with social rank as determined by annual income.

There, see? Who says we can't all get along?

Frmrsldr

Snert wrote:

They need a special Medal Of Adequacy.  Perhaps a slightly hand-drawn circle shape in a practical and inexpensive metal like nickel.  A coat-of-arms could feature a beaver rampant, giving a thumbs up, and holding a Tim Horton's cup, across from Don Cherry holding a hockey stick and making a fist.  Beneath could be inscribed "Ego Sum Victor" (Latin for "I'm a winner").  All members of the CF who are not convicted of High Treason or found to be a prank ("Lt. Hugh G. Rection") would be recipients.

Why don't they show our obvious frontier status to the American Empire and give us the Purple Heart medal? I've always thought it a cool medal myself.

Frmrsldr

Rexdale_Punjabi wrote:

I cant cosign this or think that its funny either. It means that many "accidental" deaths are gonna be overlooked and will proly be a way to "deal with" elements in the military starting to grow tired of the long war in Afganistan and starting to speak out.

 

On top of that while I say Fucc Canada I still got nuff love for the lower level soljaz because they aint even at fault a lot of em took the job because its the best paying one avail and at the end of the day they have no control they just following orders, so I cant support making fun of them when they getting shot up.

 

Laughing at ppl dieing is fucced up either way.

 

and also can U take Army Basic training without having to actually join the army and be shipped off? Sounds like a good idea when u get to 18 because it gets you way stronger in a short time too.

If you join the military Reserve, you will get basic training and will not be forced to go. However there will be a lot of institutional and "peer" pressure to go.

Frmrsldr

Slumberjack wrote:

Try as I may, I haven't been completely successful with setting down an unambiguous opinion in all instances, one which should readily suggest itself as an inflexible line between the more immediate and just victims of murderous aggression, and those whose fate some may consider to be suitable just desserts as accomplices to aggression. When we see flagged caskets, ramp ceremonies, highway greetings for the procession of the dead and the production of utterly meaningless bobbles, these things have no other purpose but to beguile mourners and the gullible public alike, forming part of the unrelenting birth to grave propaganda campaign through which the entire apparatus of society applies itself towards shaping the belief systems of human beings who must be kept in thrall in order to be primed and ready to accept their own place in the order, which is at the disposal of the dominant class and its machinery of death. To find anything worthy of humour from full spectrum plutocracy in all of its irresistible persuasions, one would have to momentarily set aside the seething hatred that it deserves to manage even a grimace.

Some of what you say, I would describe as "The cult of the dead soldier as war hero." Something the nazis did from 1919-1945.

If our soldiers from the non-commissioned ranks are the equivallent to workers, then they need to do what workers do when they protest intolerable and unnacceptable conditions: our soldiers need to go on "strike" (lay down their arms and refuse to fight) to protest the war, "Sir! No Sir!"

Slumberjack

Frmrsldr wrote:
...then they need to do what workers do when they protest intolerable and unnacceptable conditions

It is hegemony's version of what constitutes intolerable and unacceptable that is impressed upon the population. The indoctrination begins at an early age, starting with cartoons, commercials, school, and the popular media. Unless everyone came equipped with their own information analyist, how could they know otherwise. For most, despite a few grumblings here and there, everything appears as it should be.

Jingles

Quote:
Why don't they show our obvious frontier status to the American Empire and give us the Purple Heart medal?

From 2003:

Quote:
[url=http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&add... (CP) - Relatives of four Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan by an American bomb accepted Bronze Star medals from the United States government Monday during a ceremony before more than 700 troops. 

The medal - a simple five-pointed star that hangs from a red, white and blue ribbon - is awarded to mark heroic or meritorious service. For some it will also mark the pain of losing loved ones on that night in April 2002 when a U.S. fighter jet mistakenly bombed Canadian troops during a military exercise. Eight other soldiers were wounded. 

(snip)

Five of the medals were awarded to Canadian snipers who distinguished themselves in Afghanistan. 

The rest of the Bronze Stars went to officers and warrant officers, including Maj. Stephen Borland, who was deputy commander of the battle group. 

(snip)

So the criteria for "hero" is have a friendly bomb fall on your head, murder farmers from 2km away, or be an officer to add something to your CV.

That the families didn't tell the US military to shove their bronze stars sideways says a lot about the state we're in.

canuquetoo

Actually, its indicative of the state you are in. Most Canadians couldn't care less. Accepting a foreign gong may give a sense of accomplishment to some and be meaningless to others.

Rexdale_Punjabi Rexdale_Punjabi's picture

Frmrsldr wrote:

Rexdale_Punjabi wrote:

I cant cosign this or think that its funny either. It means that many "accidental" deaths are gonna be overlooked and will proly be a way to "deal with" elements in the military starting to grow tired of the long war in Afganistan and starting to speak out.

 

On top of that while I say Fucc Canada I still got nuff love for the lower level soljaz because they aint even at fault a lot of em took the job because its the best paying one avail and at the end of the day they have no control they just following orders, so I cant support making fun of them when they getting shot up.

 

Laughing at ppl dieing is fucced up either way.

 

and also can U take Army Basic training without having to actually join the army and be shipped off? Sounds like a good idea when u get to 18 because it gets you way stronger in a short time too.

If you join the military Reserve, you will get basic training and will not be forced to go. However there will be a lot of institutional and "peer" pressure to go.

wat do u mean institutional. As for peers lol I dont think a bunch of white boiz could make a convincing argument and my peers are fighting their own battles we aint fighting for no KKKanada at the end of the day we got our own warz from here and other places.

Jingles

Quote:
Actually, its indicative of the state you are in

Really? And what state might that be, hmm?

Frmrsldr

Rexdale_Punjabi wrote:

Frmrsldr wrote:

Rexdale_Punjabi wrote:

I cant cosign this or think that its funny either. It means that many "accidental" deaths are gonna be overlooked and will proly be a way to "deal with" elements in the military starting to grow tired of the long war in Afganistan and starting to speak out.

 

On top of that while I say Fucc Canada I still got nuff love for the lower level soljaz because they aint even at fault a lot of em took the job because its the best paying one avail and at the end of the day they have no control they just following orders, so I cant support making fun of them when they getting shot up.

 

Laughing at ppl dieing is fucced up either way.

 

and also can U take Army Basic training without having to actually join the army and be shipped off? Sounds like a good idea when u get to 18 because it gets you way stronger in a short time too.

If you join the military Reserve, you will get basic training and will not be forced to go. However there will be a lot of institutional and "peer" pressure to go.

wat do u mean institutional. As for peers lol I dont think a bunch of white boiz could make a convincing argument and my peers are fighting their own battles we aint fighting for no KKKanada at the end of the day we got our own warz from here and other places.

By institutional, I mean pressure coming from the military.

Rexdale_Punjabi Rexdale_Punjabi's picture

Frmrsldr wrote:

Rexdale_Punjabi wrote:

Frmrsldr wrote:

Rexdale_Punjabi wrote:

I cant cosign this or think that its funny either. It means that many "accidental" deaths are gonna be overlooked and will proly be a way to "deal with" elements in the military starting to grow tired of the long war in Afganistan and starting to speak out.

 

On top of that while I say Fucc Canada I still got nuff love for the lower level soljaz because they aint even at fault a lot of em took the job because its the best paying one avail and at the end of the day they have no control they just following orders, so I cant support making fun of them when they getting shot up.

 

Laughing at ppl dieing is fucced up either way.

 

and also can U take Army Basic training without having to actually join the army and be shipped off? Sounds like a good idea when u get to 18 because it gets you way stronger in a short time too.

If you join the military Reserve, you will get basic training and will not be forced to go. However there will be a lot of institutional and "peer" pressure to go.

wat do u mean institutional. As for peers lol I dont think a bunch of white boiz could make a convincing argument and my peers are fighting their own battles we aint fighting for no KKKanada at the end of the day we got our own warz from here and other places.

By institutional, I mean pressure coming from the military.

so ur saying while they cant legally force me theyll start fuccing with me, my famz, my friends,etc till I go? Im gonna get BCT then leave lol

Frmrsldr

Rexdale_Punjabi wrote:

Frmrsldr wrote:

Rexdale_Punjabi wrote:

Frmrsldr wrote:

Rexdale_Punjabi wrote:

I cant cosign this or think that its funny either. It means that many "accidental" deaths are gonna be overlooked and will proly be a way to "deal with" elements in the military starting to grow tired of the long war in Afganistan and starting to speak out.

 

On top of that while I say Fucc Canada I still got nuff love for the lower level soljaz because they aint even at fault a lot of em took the job because its the best paying one avail and at the end of the day they have no control they just following orders, so I cant support making fun of them when they getting shot up.

 

Laughing at ppl dieing is fucced up either way.

 

and also can U take Army Basic training without having to actually join the army and be shipped off? Sounds like a good idea when u get to 18 because it gets you way stronger in a short time too.

If you join the military Reserve, you will get basic training and will not be forced to go. However there will be a lot of institutional and "peer" pressure to go.

wat do u mean institutional. As for peers lol I dont think a bunch of white boiz could make a convincing argument and my peers are fighting their own battles we aint fighting for no KKKanada at the end of the day we got our own warz from here and other places.

By institutional, I mean pressure coming from the military.

so ur saying while they cant legally force me theyll start fuccing with me, my famz, my friends,etc till I go? Im gonna get BCT then leave lol

No, they'll just start fuccing with you.

If one (hypothectically) decides to go, then the military starts mind fuccing with the family, telling them what a great decision you made and how it's going to be so beneficial for you and your Afghan victims.

Michelle

Hey guys, could we avoid doing the quote inside the quote inside the quote inside the quote thing?  Just quote the bit you're responding to.  Thanks!

Fotheringay-Phipps

Just to clarify, there are medals for all sorts of things in the military. Many posters seem to think that medal = heroism. Not so. Many veterans have good conduct medals, awarded, as one put it to me, "for five years undetected crime." There are campaign medals, awarded to anyone who served in a particular theatre of operations, or special ribbons for the same purpose. You can earn a chestful of glitter and fruit salad without ever having been exposed to fire. The Sacrifice Medal isn't a housekeeping badge, but it's not the Victoria Cross either. The military isn't recognizing heroism, just recognizing those who die while on active service. The medal makes as much sense as any other that a soldier can earn.

A lot of posters also seem to have pre-WW1 ideas of gallantry and sacrifice. The notion that some soldiers display heroism by going mano a mano against scimitar-wielding dervishes while others succumb to ignoble heatstroke never did make much sense, but it makes even less now. Ever since industrial slaughter began (pick your own starting date; I'll say the American Civil War) heroism has been dead. In an era of long-range, remote-targetted death, casualties are simple bad luck. There are no noble deaths, no cheap ones, just a bullet with your name on it. War deaths are also industrial accidents, forseeable costs of doing business. To mock those whose deaths fail to meet Victorian criteria for nobility and gallantry isn't just in doubtful taste, it shows a certain lack of understanding.

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

You can't deny that this "Sacrifice Medal" is merely part of the cult of the fallen soldier, whose purpose is to sell war and the militarization of society to a gullible public. It gives us the Highway of Heroes, the Red Shirt Fridays, and the Support the Troops ribbons on public vehicles; and it ties the war in nicely to Remembrance Day, where a direct causal relationship is promoted between soldiers dying in war and the alleged existence of liberal democratic feedoms.   

Unionist

Fotheringay-Phipps wrote:
To mock those whose deaths fail to meet Victorian criteria for nobility and gallantry isn't just in doubtful taste, it shows a certain lack of understanding.

I didn't open this thread to mock the deaths of young Canadians. I did it to mock the bloodthirsty politicians and military elite that send them to death and to murder and pillage. I did it to show the sheer desperation of these modern-day crusaders, who will stoop to any obscenity to keep feeding the cannons and trick the bereaved families, and the public, that something worthy and noble is going on. I am as horrified by a medal given for garrotting an evil Taliban to save a comrade, as I am at a medal of some poor suckers bombed to death in error by their U.S. allies. But the deaths I truly respect and regret are not those of invaders at all, but rather those of Afghans who have to put up with the likes of our leaders. Theirs is the true sacrifice, the true heroism, which will one day bring them victory - as it unfailingly has done throughout recorded history.

I trust we understand each other, sir.