Gerald Butts butts out, but says PMO did nothing wrong re SNC-Lavalin

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Unionist
Gerald Butts butts out, but says PMO did nothing wrong re SNC-Lavalin

Gerald Butts resigns as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's principal secretary

Quote:

In a major shakeup to the highest ranks of the Prime Minister's Office, Gerald Butts resigned Monday as Justin Trudeau's principal secretary.

The bombsell departure — Butts, along with chief of staff Katie Telford, are the two most senior staffers in Trudeau's inner circle — comes amid allegations that senior members of the PMO pressured former justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould to help Quebec-based multinational engineering firm SNC-Lavalin avoid criminal prosecution on bribery and fraud charges in relation to contracts in Libya.

In a statement to reporters, Butts said he categorically denies allegations that he or anyone else in the PMO put this sort of pressure on Wilson-Raybould. He said this sort of accusation is "simply not true."

And here's a tweet from Justin Trudeau containing Butts's full statement.

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

There's another famous Trudeau/Butts pair.

nicky

Let’s not forget this is not the first time Butts’ integrity has been questioned.

he was Dalton McGuinty’s chief advisor over the gas plant scandal.

he also claimed exorbitant moving expenses before he was exposed.

he is the Svengali behind every cynical Trudeau deception, including the betrayal on electoral reform

Good riddance

nicky
nicky
Martin N.

It is expected that a senior PMO henchman would be offered up to save the village idiot. Before JWR gets the gag untied. It will not work, however, Canadians will gladly accept the resignation knowing that Butts secured his golden parachute before being voluntold to make the ultimate sacrifice. Just how many new Vice Chairpeoplekind BMO is prepared to offer asylum is unknown but protecting the PMO from Parliament is as paramount to corporate strategy as protecting the board of directors from shareholders.

Trudeau, himself, spent the weekend debating falling on his sword but after interminable agony searching his tickle trunk, could not find an appropriate costume. His sword was also rubber, in case he tripped over it.

WWWTT

Thread number 7 about this snc-lavalin fiasco. Kind of ridiculous a few of these threads can’t merge, but in itself the thread count does display how extensive this liberal dictatorship really is. 

bekayne

WWWTT wrote:

Thread number 7 about this snc-lavalin fiasco.

13, actually.

NorthReport

Gee, sounds like the Liberal attack threads on Singh but no complaints there. Strange that!

Unionist

bekayne wrote:

WWWTT wrote:

Thread number 7 about this snc-lavalin fiasco.

13, actually.

I couldn't figure out which of the 13 to post this news in (do you have a suggestion??), so I decided to join the TRC (Thread Redundancy Choir). Anyway, I hadn't seen anyone in the media say "Butts butts out" yet, so I couldn't resist.

Also, I do believe this news is of more interest than Justin calling JRW "Jody". I could be wrong and insensitive and I do stand to be corrected.

WWWTT

bekayne wrote:

WWWTT wrote:

Thread number 7 about this snc-lavalin fiasco.

13, actually.

Ya I don’t know about that? I only counted 7. But I only skimmed the active topics titles for the first few pages. 

Sorry to sidetrack too far from Unionist’s point here because this is serious news. 

Strong sign that the liberals aren’t going to form government anymore after the next election. 

Unionist

So - why did Butts butt out? Looking for educated opinions, because I can't figure it out.

NDPP

"This one story, with vague allegations darkly sourced has rung this PM's office like a bell in a way that I'm not used to seeing...They've never gotten really good at explaining themselves, so whatever was going on here, they simply can't produce a string of declarative sentences that sound plausible to explain it. 

They're not good at political communications and faced with a moderately complex set of circumstances, they can't explain themselves...It's handy to be able to communicate."

As It Happens: Monday Edition

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-monday-edition-1.5023597

@08:45 How ironic that a government that has put so much into PR, spin, communications, information management, can't handle what is at bottom a rather garden variety 'crisis'. 

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

Unionist wrote:

So - why did Butts butt out? Looking for educated opinions, because I can't figure it out.

Well, I don't have an educated opinion, only speculation and Sherlockian deduction, but here goes:

1. This resignation is in some way related to the SNC-Lavalin affair.

2. Butts did something that was egregious enough that the decision has been made that he must go now, before the shit hits the fan, so that Trudeau can pretend that he barely knew Butts when it does.

3. A very comfortable, if obscure, sinecure awaits Butts at some Liberal friendly institution.

Pondering

NDPP wrote:

"This one story, with vague allegations darkly sourced has rung this PM's office like a bell in a way that I'm not used to seeing...They've never gotten really good at explaining themselves, so whatever was going on here, they simply can't produce a string of declarative sentences that sound plausible to explain it. 

They're not good at political communications and faced with a moderately complex set of circumstances, they can't explain themselves...It's handy to be able to communicate."

As It Happens: Monday Edition

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-monday-edition-1.5023597

@08:45 How ironic that a government that has put so much into PR, spin, communications, information management, can't handle what is at bottom a rather garden variety 'crisis'. 

Trudeau is doing fine. This is his usual modis operandus. Of course pundits don't like it. He is refusing to feed the news cycle. Everything they say can be put down to speculation and partisanship. Trudeau already stated that JWR did not tell him she was being pressured which she had the opportunity to do. 

He doesn't have to say Butt's resignation is connected. Everyone is assuming it. Trudeau has plausible deniability. 

It reminds me of the Harper/Duffy affair. We all know Harper knew what was going on but there is no proof. 

Butts will go on to have an illustrious career as a trusted fixer. 

Most people will be underwhelmed by the accusation that SNC-Lavelin bribed officials in Libya just as they are over the news that we sell arms to Saudi Arabia and are involved in an attempted coup in Venezuala or that we supported the crushing of the Arab Spring. 

quizzical

bs pondering he came back last friday and stated she did speak with him.

and get out of your Quebec bias bubble people across Canada are NOT underwhelmed. they're pissed.

Pondering

quizzical wrote:

bs pondering he came back last friday and stated she did speak with him.

and get out of your Quebec bias bubble people across Canada are NOT underwhelmed. they're pissed.

Who came back and spoke to whom and why does it matter? 

I don't think too many of the people who voted for Trudeau are pissed enough to vote for the Conservatives just yet. 

It has nothing to do with being in Quebec. You are in a bubble of people who talk politics and MSM punditry. People who are into politics do not decide elections. 

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Pondering wrote:

 People who are into politics do not decide elections. 

Where is the babble hall of fame thread.

wage zombie

Unionist wrote:

So - why did Butts butt out? Looking for educated opinions, because I can't figure it out.

Maybe Butts' removal was required to bring JWR back to the table.

Unionist

wage zombie wrote:

Unionist wrote:

So - why did Butts butt out? Looking for educated opinions, because I can't figure it out.

Maybe Butts' removal was required to bring JWR back to the table.

At least that's a hypothesis - better than anything I've been able to come up with! Thanks, wz.

Has anyone seen any other plausible explanations in the MSM or elsewhere?

cco

I've been figuring he's publicly dropping on his sword so Trudeau can blame him for the scandal, then bring him back quietly in an unofficial role during the campaign. After all the mud they've been slinging at JWR, I don't see her being brought back – but you never know.

NDPP

Gerald Butts was done in, at least partially, by the ethos of identity politics: Neil Macdonald

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/gerald-butts-1.5023925

"Gerry Butts has been done in, at least partly, by the ethos of identity politics and virtue signalling he himself helped create around our prime minister. A clear-eyed look at the Raybould-Wilson controversy cannot conclude it is a matter of 'rule of law' as opposition critics claim. Had Wilson-Raybould wished, she could have decreed a deferred prosecution agreement and fines for SNC-Lavalin as punishment for charges of bribing foreign officials. The law itself allows it.

If Trudeau, through Butts, indicated that was his preferred legal outcome, so what? Is the prime minister not allowed to weigh in on a question that affects thousands of Canadian jobs? By suggesting an outcome allowed under the law? That constitutes 'pressure'?

NDPP

Now Trudeau's Chief of Staff Katie Telford has been targeted by ex-Israel envoy Vivian Bercovici in a lawsuit in which Telford and four senior officials of Global Affairs Canada are named. Bercovici is a Zionist appointed to her ambassadorship by Stephen Harper.

Paladin1

NDPP wrote:

Bercovici is a Zionist appointed to her ambassadorship by Stephen Harper.

 

Does that make her harassment claims any less valid?

Unionist

NDPP wrote:

Now Trudeau's Chief of Staff Katie Telford has been targeted by ex-Israel envoy Vivian Bercovici in a lawsuit in which Telford and four senior officials of Global Affairs Canada are named. Bercovici is a Zionist appointed to her ambassadorship by Stephen Harper.

Not "now", NDPP. Bercovici named Telford in her lawsuit on July 30, 2018.

If someone wants to start a GoFundMe campaign to help the government throw Bercovici's bullshit lawsuit out of court, I'll be making a generous donation. 

NDPP

Yes knew that of course. But the story has been 'revived' today in the Glob, CP, CTV etc as a result of the Trudeau/JWR affair. My heart also breaks for the poor dear...

Unionist

Why did Butts quit?

NorthReport

Oviously to try and take the heat off, and deflect attention arising from the Liberals inappropriate behaviour away from his best "bud" Trudeau. 

NDPP

Lose a knight to save a king. 

Paladin1

Maybe Butts will get a nice job over at SNC.

NorthReport

Bingo!

NDPP wrote:

Lose a knight to save a king. 

NorthReport

And bingo again!

Paladin1 wrote:

Maybe Butts will get a nice job over at SNC.

Unionist

Was he asked why he quit (I may have missed that part of his testimony)? If so, did he say anything beyond "I didn't want to be a distraction"? Serious question. I could have sworn this was a plan to allow Trudeau to blame Butts for having mistreated JWR without Trudeau's knowledge or blessing. Do you think that could still be the game plan?

Misfit Misfit's picture

When is Butts going to get hired back? The election is coming up this year and I doubt that he is going anywhere.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

 I think that was the game plan. Puglaas just didn't understand, it was a big miscommunication and look the white knight will throw himself on his sword for the honour of all.  If she had only approached our feminist PM this would never have happened.

Have you seen the latest tweet from the MP for Whitby. This idea seems to be sticking in the craw of at least one other MP.

“I believe real leadership is about listening, learning & compassion...central to my leadership is fostering an environment where my Ministers, caucus & staff feel comfortable coming to me when they have concerns” I did come to you recently. Twice. Remember your reactions?

https://twitter.com/MPCelina

 

NDPP

Even better that JT doesn't have to 'blame Butts' because he removed himself. Butts, the plan clearly failed. Butts left and Trudeau is still under attack. Notice the alacrity with which Liberal MPs have moved to prevent further JWR testimony in attempts to contain the damage. If opposition leaders had any traction with the public this government would fall hard and fast.

NDPP

I thought this aspect of Butts' testimony was particularly illustrative of the nasty nature of JT's  'Sunny, sunny ways' regime - the 'offer' to JWR to be his  Chief Indian Agent. 

Trudeau's Offer of Indigneous Services to Wilson-Raybould Like 'Asking Nelson Mandela to Administer Apartheid.'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/indigneous-sevices-cabinet-shuffle-wi...

"The prime minister's attempt to move Jody Wilson Raybould to the Indigneous Services portfolio was a 'deeply humiliating proposal'..."

Clearly a retaliatory move intended to be so. That being said not terribly removed from her previous career as Crown Prosecutor for BC or a 'Trick or Treaty Commissioner'. But mythology and appearance is everything and the malevolence of the Trudeau intention is clear enough in any case.

Unionist

kropotkin1951 wrote:

Have you seen the latest tweet from the MP for Whitby. This idea seems to be sticking in the craw of at least one other MP.

“I believe real leadership is about listening, learning & compassion...central to my leadership is fostering an environment where my Ministers, caucus & staff feel comfortable coming to me when they have concerns” I did come to you recently. Twice. Remember your reactions?

https://twitter.com/MPCelina

WOW! No I hadn't seen that. I'm starting to think Justin might bite the dust after all. That's stunning. Have the ICBM picked up on this yet?

bekayne

Unionist wrote:

kropotkin1951 wrote:

Have you seen the latest tweet from the MP for Whitby. This idea seems to be sticking in the craw of at least one other MP.

“I believe real leadership is about listening, learning & compassion...central to my leadership is fostering an environment where my Ministers, caucus & staff feel comfortable coming to me when they have concerns” I did come to you recently. Twice. Remember your reactions?

https://twitter.com/MPCelina

WOW! No I hadn't seen that. I'm starting to think Justin might bite the dust after all. That's stunning. Have the ICBM picked up on this yet?

If by "ICBM" you mean the media, yes, they know about her. And she's had similar tweets that the past month.

https://www.ourwindsor.ca/opinion-story/9207085-justin-trudeau-has-no-po...

Unionist

bekayne wrote:

If by "ICBM" you mean the media, yes, they know about her. And she's had similar tweets that the past month.

Sorry! Just a bad joke based on reams of discussion in another thread about one babbler's introduction of the neologism "ICM". I just went ballistic for a moment there.

Interesting. Missed that story. But I see nothing there as directly damaging to Trudeau as the allegation by a female caucus member that she had gone to him twice... and the tantalizing insinuation that he had responded inappropriately or not at all. Why didn't any media challenge him with that in yesterday's interview, especially since he spent about 60% of his time boasting about how sympathetic a listener he was?

bekayne

Unionist wrote:

bekayne wrote:

If by "ICBM" you mean the media, yes, they know about her. And she's had similar tweets that the past month.

Sorry! Just a bad joke based on reams of discussion in another thread about one babbler's introduction of the neologism "ICM". I just went ballistic for a moment there.

 

I appreciate the joke.