How many more citizens have to get shot or killed before we take away their guns in Canada?

199 posts / 0 new
Last post
Unionist

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Quote:
We need to remove the guns from everyone

Would you be OK with removing them from the police LAST?

No.

They just shot and killed a 17-year-old kid with mental health issues who was wielding a BB gun.

 

Paladin1

Hey Unionist I have a video of what it looks like when an unarmed police officer tries to plead with a criminal carrying an illegal gun. Wanna see what happens?

Plus BB guns look like real pistols. Should police wait until they take a couple bullets or BBs in the chest before they defend themselves?

cco

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Quote:
We need to remove the guns from everyone

Would you be OK with removing them from the police LAST?

I have to say (as someone who's never owned a gun), I do find it pretty amusing when John Tory, surrounded by police with guns who are paid to use them on his behalf, says nobody in Toronto needs guns.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
No.

I see.  Well, here in Toronto we just had an asshat walk down the street randomly shooting people.  If the police were the first to disarm, I guess we'd have had to wait for him to run out of ammo.  I'm not sure if you're just angry, or if you really believe everything would be better when the only guns in the city are the illegal ones.

If we're going to do that, let's also put the police in cars that can only go 12kph, and equip them with handcuffs made of pipecleaners.

Paladin1

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Quote:
No.

I see.  Well, here in Toronto we just had an asshat walk down the street randomly shooting people.  If the police were the first to disarm, I guess we'd have had to wait for him to run out of ammo.  I'm not sure if you're just angry, or if you really believe everything would be better when the only guns in the city are the illegal ones.

If we're going to do that, let's also put the police in cars that can only go 12kph, and equip them with handcuffs made of pipecleaners.

Lets get rid of police all together

progressive17 progressive17's picture

It has been speculated that even in a total anarchy, a police force and justice system would quickly form. If I was using police force A and justice system A, and you charged me for an offence using police force B and justice system B, what might be illegal under B may not be illegal under A. So therefore, free people in an anarchy would make a minarchy with a police force and a common justice system. By the same thinking, a common defence force would also form.

NDPP

Ready or Not, US Unleashing 3D-Printed 'Ghost-Guns' For the Entire Internet

https://globalnews.ca/news/4356869/3d-printed-gun-liberator-plans-online/

"The era of the untraceable, undetectable, 3D-printed gun is almost upon us, and it's not going to respect international borders..."

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

The good news is that plastic guns are basically a "zip gun".  People have been making zip guns for years, typically out of materials that won't blow up or melt after the first shot.  And really, if plastic guns were going to revolutionize crime or warfare, they'd have done so by now.  It's not like some big drug cartel or mafia organization has been cooling its heels just waiting for these 3-d plans to be made legal.

I made a little cannon once out of a piece of copper tube, a marrette, some wood and a medium-sized ball bearing.  Hit the garage with it!

NDPP

I had zip guns too. This isn't that.

3D Printed Gun Pose New Threat as Gun Law Expires

http://youtu.be/SGHOFxeaDr4

http://www.cnn.com/2018/07/30/us/pennsylvania-3d-guns-trnd/index.html

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

I wonder what costs more:  a regular handgun (legal or otherwise; consult your jurisdiction) or a 3-d printer?

Quote:
I had zip guns too.

Really?  If you made one when you were a kid then you surely understand why plans to "print" one out of plastic are unnecessary, and unnecessarily expensive.

Can you lay your hands on a length of 12 gauge pipe, and a hammer?  Congrats, you now own a zip gun.

NDPP

Check out these home-mades that are all the rage in Nicaragua right now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5771005/Masked-protesters-wield-...

Unionist
Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

It might have been a bit more interesting if they'd tried to draw any line between purchases of handguns soaring because it became less complicated to buy a full-sized .22.  Surely the handguns used in those new gun crimes weren't more easily obtained because the government stopped tracking who bought a long gun.   Didn't the status of handguns basically remain unchanged?

Paladin1

Mr. Magoo wrote:

  Didn't the status of handguns basically remain unchanged?

Yup. Handgun registration became law in Canada in 1934 and has remained the law ever since.   The long-run registery had nothing to do with handguns and was actually a completely different office.

 

NorthReport

In Canada which so far at least is not a fascist society the answer is yes

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Quote:
We need to remove the guns from everyone

Would you be OK with removing them from the police LAST?

NorthReport
Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

It's fascinating to see that the U.S. can ban a gun, if it sees fit, and so long as that gun hasn't even been made yet.

WWWTT

NDPP wrote:

Ready or Not, US Unleashing 3D-Printed 'Ghost-Guns' For the Entire Internet

https://globalnews.ca/news/4356869/3d-printed-gun-liberator-plans-online/

"The era of the untraceable, undetectable, 3D-printed gun is almost upon us, and it's not going to respect international borders..."

Technically the guns itself are not lethal. Its the projectile/bullet. And the charge dynamite or gunpowder or whatever it is behind the lead bullet sealed in the cartride that proppels the projectile. Those charge can not be replicated by some generic machine. Or as far as I know?

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

If you mean that a 3-d printer cannot "print" a cartridge, yes, that's true.  But very simple gear has been used for years to reload cartridges.  It's pretty simple, too.

1.  cast or buy some bullets of the required calibre/design.  You can cast lead using a Coleman stove, if you need, and molds are easily available.

2.  get some brass shells of the required calibre.  Often, these are recycled, spent cartridge casings.

3.  using a jig, remove the spent primer from a shell and replace it with a new one.

4.  fill the shell with the necessary amount of smokeless powder.

5.  using another jig, insert the lead bullet into the end of the casing.

I don't think most people who do this do it to evade the law -- they do, after all, have to be able to purchase the jigs,  primers and powder -- but rather just to save some money.

progressive17 progressive17's picture

You could also make metal things with 3-D printers, although the time to make a bullet would probably be quite long given the existing state of the technology. 

NorthReport
NorthReport

The guns have to go! Does Canada have to wait until our murder by gun count reaches that of America to take away their guns

The time for our government to act is now

https://globalnews.ca/news/4380855/vancouver-man-killed-road-rage/

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

"Take away their guns!" is like "Stop crime!" -- it's a desired outcome, not a plan to get to that outcome.

Will you share your (detailed) plan with us?  How shall we take guns away from criminals?

Pretend that the government has appointed you -- NorthReport -- to stop gun crime.  What, specifically, would you do?  Please don't just say that you would "take all the guns away" -- tell us HOW you would take all the guns away.

Jatt47 Jatt47's picture

Weapons are sacred||

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

Jatt47 wrote:

Weapons are sacred||

Only in a cult of death.

Jatt47 Jatt47's picture

✌️

voice of the damned

Jatt wrote:

I knew racism was alive and well on this forum

Whereas I'm sure it's completely unknown in the National Rifle Association.

Seriously, though, if you wanted to make the point that dicussion about gun-control should take into account cultural sensitivities, you should have come in with something like "You know guys, I wouldn't be so quick to write off all weapons-ownership as illegitimate, since Sikhs have a tradition of blah blah blah". Rather than just out-of-the-blue posting "Weapons are sacred!", which is open to misunderstanding, and in fact, rather provocative.

Granted, it did give you the chance to start accusing people of being racist, so I guess there is that.  

Unionist

Jatt47 wrote:

I knew racism was alive and well on this forum,

You're not proposing we shoot it on sight, are you?

 

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

Tao Te Ching, #31:

Lao Tsu wrote:

Good weapons are instruments of fear; all creatures hate them.
Therefore, followers of Tao never use them.
The wise man prefers the left.
The man of war prefers the right.

Weapons are instruments of fear; they are not a wise man's tools.
He uses them only when he has no choice.
Peace and quiet are dear to his heart,
And victory no cause for rejoicing.
If you rejoice in victory, then you delight in killing;
If you delight in killing, you cannot fulfill yourself.

On happy occasions, precedence is given to the left,
On sad occasions, to the right.
In the army, the general stands on the left,
The commander-in-chief on the right.
This means that war is conducted like a funeral.
When many people are being killed,
They should be mourned in heartfelt sorrow.
That is why a victory must be observed like a funeral.

Jatt47 Jatt47's picture

Weapons are sacred।।

NorthReport

Thanks MM

Michael Moriarity wrote:

Tao Te Ching, #31:

Lao Tsu wrote:

Good weapons are instruments of fear; all creatures hate them.
Therefore, followers of Tao never use them.
The wise man prefers the left.
The man of war prefers the right.

Weapons are instruments of fear; they are not a wise man's tools.
He uses them only when he has no choice.
Peace and quiet are dear to his heart,
And victory no cause for rejoicing.
If you rejoice in victory, then you delight in killing;
If you delight in killing, you cannot fulfill yourself.

On happy occasions, precedence is given to the left,
On sad occasions, to the right.
In the army, the general stands on the left,
The commander-in-chief on the right.
This means that war is conducted like a funeral.
When many people are being killed,
They should be mourned in heartfelt sorrow.
That is why a victory must be observed like a funeral.

NDPP

I hope some of those who profess themselves to be against weapons will put their money where their mouths are and  deign to write an email to their MP conveying the same sentiments vis a vis selling them to the Saudis to kill Shia or Yemenis.

NorthReport

Thanks to our Canadian media, we are rapidly following in the footsteps of the gun-crazed USA. Canada has a chance to get rid of the guns now. But every day we wait more Canadians die at the hans of guns and we are soon reaching a point of no return. We need some courageous politicians who will stop placating the minority nutbars and ban guns outright in Canada. But courage is needed. We need to stand up to the NRA, the bullies, and not capitulate because of fear and even the physical attacks against us like the animal rights activists did when they threateded to protest the Rodeo in Chilliwack, BC. Too bad!

Hurtin Albertan

I hope some of those who profess themselves to be pro-firearms will put their money where their mouths are and donate to, or better yet join, one of the many Canadian pro-firearms lobby groups such as the CSSA, the CCFR, or even the much-maligned NFA (I have lifetime memberships in all 3).

And for sure, write or email your MP regardless of which side you support.

I sure don't see guns going away anytime soon, as far as a point of no return I think we are long since past it if there ever was one.  Our society has become numbed to so much horror I honestly fear for the future sometimes.

Unionist

In a unanimous vote, Montreal city council adopted a motion Monday calling on the federal government to impose a nationwide ban on the possession of handguns and assault weapons.

 

 

NorthReport

Australia and Germany have got rid of guns and gun killings have been reduced. Are there that many people in Canada with mental gun disease? What is wrong with Canadians!!!

Unionist

The NDP, via Jagmeet Singh, has asked the federal government to allow cities to ban handguns.

Montréal has now asked the federal government to ban handguns and assault rifles.

Can someone explain to me the logic of the NDP's position? Why don't they call for a ban on handguns? Or is that too "simplistic", as per Singh's letter: "We must replace simplistic solutions with comprehensive, well-informed strategies built out of partnership with those most affected." Translation: Let the cities decide, don't blame us feds??

gadar

Unionist wrote:

The NDP, via Jagmeet Singh, has asked the federal government to allow cities to ban handguns.

Montréal has now asked the federal government to ban handguns and assault rifles.

Can someone explain to me the logic of the NDP's position? Why don't they call for a ban on handguns? Or is that too "simplistic", as per Singh's letter: "We must replace simplistic solutions with comprehensive, well-informed strategies built out of partnership with those most affected." Translation: Let the cities decide, don't blame us feds??

And the city of Montreal has decided, they want the feds to ban hand guns and assault rifles. So will singh follow up on that and respect the decision of the most affected, and put banning hand guns and assault rifles in the party platform.

 

NorthReport

Platforms are basically useless and are designed for election campaigns only, as Liberal PM Chrétien is fond of saying

Ask useless Trudeau, after all he is Canada’s Oil King PM and the only one with the actual power to do anything.

NorthReport

And what about lame duck Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson? What has he ever said about abolishing guns?

NorthReport
NorthReport
NorthReport

Looks like the ball is in Trudeau’s court and his response is what again?

 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-city-council-danforth-shooting-1.4760358

gadar

The Lil Oil King Justin is probably being paid off by the gun lobby, who knows. Just like he is in the pockets of oil lobby.

Now the question is for the other two sincere parties.

Will the NDP stand up for the gun ban being the best party their ever was. And hopefully they dont follow Chretien's mantra of platforms being the meaningless documents. Them being the nemesis of the Liberals.

And that leaves Mr Scheer's party, which I am sure is all for gun control.

 

gadar

I wish there was at least one party that could take a strong stance and ban the guns once and for all. Fancy socks is a write off, we dont have to put up with him for long anyway, only a matter of few months now.

I am hoping that Singh doesnt let Mr Scheer steal his thunder and bans the guns before NDP can own this policy. Get on it Jagmeet.

Go Singh Go NDP

gadar

And about the Vancouver Mayor. He used to be an NDP MLA, and over the time it became clear that he was FAKE NDP just as the Pipeline queen to the east. The line of Fake NDPers is long too, remember Dosanjh, Rae, Ramsay, Rathika and the list goes on. The Party needs to be very vigilant about these kinds of people.

Now go get the guns Singh.

Go Singh Go NDP

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

NorthReport wrote:

And what about lame duck Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson? What has he ever said about abolishing guns?

And all this time I thought Surrey had the largest historic and ongoing problems with gun violence.

gadar

Dianne Watts (the former Con MP and a leadership candidate for the defacto conserative party of BC) was a long term Surrey Mayor and now her protege has been mayor for the last term.

Robertson (the former NDP MLA who has been all buddy buddy with Pretty Hair Boy) is the long term Vancouver Mayor.

Everybody can not be held to the same standard.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

gadar wrote:

Dianne Watts (the former Con MP and a leadership candidate for the defacto conserative party of BC) was a long term Surrey Mayor and now her protege has been mayor for the last term.

Robertson (the former NDP MLA who has been all buddy buddy with Pretty Hair Boy) is the long term Vancouver Mayor.

Everybody can not be held to the same standard.

That is right, if fingers need to pointed at municipal politicians for not solving an issue that is ultimately beyond their authority, why only left of centre ones?

gadar

kropotkin1951 wrote:

That is right, if fingers need to pointed at municipal politicians for not solving an issue that is ultimately beyond their authority, why only left of centre ones?

That is a great question. Why on a supposedly left wing board, the only people crticised are left of center politicians, while the right wingers are completly ignored, as if they dont exist?

I dont know the answer to that. I hope somebody else does.

Pages