babble-intro-img
babble is rabble.ca's discussion board but it's much more than that: it's an online community for folks who just won't shut up. It's a place to tell each other — and the world — what's up with our work and campaigns.

How MP are spending taxpayers money for office expenses

Mighty Middle
Offline
Joined: Apr 20 2016

===


Comments

Mighty Middle
Offline
Joined: Apr 20 2016

Clown, balloons, cakes, jazz singer among entertainment items charged to MP expense accounts

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/clown-balloon...

Closer look on MP $28,000 expense. Which MPs maxed out the amount and which MPs left the amount untouched

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/kady-omalley-...

If you want to see what each individual MP spent go here for the full list

http://www.parl.gc.ca/PublicDisclosure/MemberExpenditures.aspx?Id=MER201...


kropotkin1951
Offline
Joined: Jun 6 2002

I didn't know that when I helped with Canada Day celebrations on behalf of an MP that buying small ice creams and Canadian flags and pins to give out to the kids was inherently evil. The expenses of MP's should be monitored however the Nazi Post article is a tempest in a teapot.


quizzical
Offline
Joined: Dec 8 2011

i guess canadian tax payers federation guy thinks 500 on cake is too much, only thing they quoted him on singling out disapprovingly, as something tax payers wouldn't go for.

why single out the cake? devaluing what is considered as "traditional woman's work"? or because it went to First Nation children's enjoyment? thinks 900 in balloons tax payers would approve of before a cake? i would like to know his reasoning for his ability to speak this bias on behalf of all taxpayers in his federation.

back to cakes. cakes are expensive to make. big cakes even more. and then there's delivery. $594.00 for over 300 children plus their trip guardians and others attending isn't an excessive expense.

its a buck a piece.

i'm sure they spent more on taxes charged on everything than a buck a piece. they essentially paid for their own cake.


Basement Dweller
Offline
Joined: Nov 27 2006

That's it, I'm now calling that paper the National Grouch.


Mr. Magoo
Offline
Joined: Dec 13 2002

The perverse part is that it's their "Hospitality" budget that's being scrutinized -- as though that was supposed to be earmarked for infrastructure or whatever. 

"He blew it all on hospitality when the local bridge is in sore need of repairs!"

That said, $16 orange juice still baffles me.  Is it from rare albino oranges?  Oranges from Tut's tomb?  Is it a regular OJ but with gold leaf scattered on top and a perigord truffle?


Mighty Middle
Offline
Joined: Apr 20 2016

The cost of schmoozing: What Canadian MPs spent on wining, dining and Tim Hortons

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/the-cost-of-s...

What MPs spent on their office furniture

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/recently-elec...


Michael Moriarity
Offline
Joined: Jul 27 2001

The real question is, what does Adam Giambrone think about all this?


Mr. Magoo
Offline
Joined: Dec 13 2002

Ask him in French.  See if he got everyone's money's worth.


bekayne
Online
Joined: Jan 23 2006

And another ex-Conservative MP, Brad Butt, spent $200 on a Canada Day performance by Twinkles the Clown.

Aka Stephen Harper


Timebandit
Offline
Joined: Sep 25 2001
Mr. Magoo wrote:

The perverse part is that it's their "Hospitality" budget that's being scrutinized -- as though that was supposed to be earmarked for infrastructure or whatever. 

"He blew it all on hospitality when the local bridge is in sore need of repairs!"

That said, $16 orange juice still baffles me.  Is it from rare albino oranges?  Oranges from Tut's tomb?  Is it a regular OJ but with gold leaf scattered on top and a perigord truffle?

Hyper inflated hotel pricing. If you find yourself at a conference in a luxury hotel, which can happen to an MP or other politicians for a variety of reasons and aren't able to duck out to the Starbucks around the corner (if there is one), you're kind of stuck with what's there.

swallow
Offline
Joined: May 16 2002

Michael Moriarity wrote:

The real question is, what does Adam Giambrone think about all this?

He thinks schmoozing at this level isn't an entry-level position. 


Mr. Magoo
Offline
Joined: Dec 13 2002

Quote:
Hyper inflated hotel pricing. If you find yourself at a conference in a luxury hotel, which can happen to an MP or other politicians for a variety of reasons and aren't able to duck out to the Starbucks around the corner (if there is one), you're kind of stuck with what's there.

Bev Oda didn't "find herself" at that luxury hotel, she actually switched from ANOTHER luxury hotel, and incurred a $287 cancellation fee to do so.

Pretty sure that when she travelled from one hotel to the other, she could have stopped at a convenience store along the way for a $1 OJ.


Timebandit
Offline
Joined: Sep 25 2001
Oferfuxakes, let it GO, already. ETA: Govt officials stay at the bigger hotels - more so ministers. They travel a lot. Personally, I'd rather have the people doing work of importance spending a few dollars on room service instead of distracting themselves over where the closest 7 fucking 11 is so they arrive focused on whatever the work of the day is. Aside from the quibble over whether or not she did a good job.

Michael Moriarity
Offline
Joined: Jul 27 2001

swallow wrote:

Michael Moriarity wrote:

The real question is, what does Adam Giambrone think about all this?

He thinks schmoozing at this level isn't an entry-level position. 

Laughing


Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or register to post comments