Liberal Party of Canada

491 posts / 0 new
Last post
JKR

Arthur Cramer wrote:

Manitob, Doer. That is where it started. Doer was a Lib who as MGEU brought Down the Pawley Govt and gave us Filmon, and a privatizied MTS. The NDP has absolutely done much to confuse people about the difference that exists between us and the Libs. I completely agree with a lot of you onn t his.

And then there's former NDP Ontario Premier Bob Rae, and former NDP BC premier, Ujjal Dosanj who actually became Liberal MP's. And there's former NDP Manitoba Premier Ed Schryer who was appointed by P.E. Trudeau as Governor General. And NDP Nova Scotia Premier Daryl Dexter who veered to the right while in power. And Jack Layton's NDP that supported some of Paul Martin's budgets. And David Lewis's NDP that saw eye to eye with many of PE Trudeau's Liberal initiatives. And Tommy Douglas NDP that supported many of Pearson's Liberal government initiatives. And former NDP BC Premier Glenn Clark who now represents Billionaire Jimmy Pattison. And Andrea Howath supporting a Liberal minority government. And Roy Romanow who's good friends with Jean Chretien. And Mulcair served in a Liberal Quebec government and believes the rich already pay more than enough taxes. Etc....

With many NDP leaders and movers and shakers getting along with Liberals, it should come as no surprise that many progressives see the Liberals as being a centre-left party, albeit to the right of a more leftist NDP.

How often have NDP party leaders like Bob Rae and Ujjal Dosanj joined the PC Party or Conservatives? How often has the NDP propped up the Conservative's or PC Party like they have often propped up Liberal governments?

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

Gary doer truned us into Libs here. I wish he had never won.

Aristotleded24

JKR wrote:
A lot of people see little difference between the NDP and Liberals when they see situations like the Liberal government in Ontario attempting to raise it's minimum wage to $11 while the neighbouring NDP government in Manitoba seems to have no problem sticking with a minimum wage at $10.45.

In all fairness, there is a cost-of-living difference between the 2 provinces.

Brachina

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/touch/story.html?id=9554644

 

 No Liberal Senator would be involved in fundraising my ass. Another broken promise from Justin, to go with open nomination battles, same old liberal party.

NorthReport

What an unbelievable mess!

Who in the world would want to elect these clowns?

Andrew Leslie's Liberal nomination win draws protest

Supporters for David Bertschi vocal in protest of move to exclude competition

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/andrew-leslie-s-liberal-nomination-...

NorthReport

The Liberal way - a perfect example of how democracy gets perverted in Canada!

Enemies Of Sukh Dhaliwal Gang Up On Former MP As Mother Of All Nomination Battles Set For Next Saturday In Surrey-Newton

Dhaliwal is taking on lawyer Randeep Singh Sarai, who announced his candidacy recently at a press gathering. Sarai took to his facebook page last Saturday to announce that he had signed up 11,000 members (which means his campaign shelled out or got members to shell out $110,000 – nearly three quarters annual salary of an average Canadian MP). But some reports put his membership between 9000 and 10,000, still a hefty amount.

Not to be outdone, the wily Dhaliwal, who suffered some controversy stemming from tax filing in a company he had with a careless partner, has reportedly signed up over 13,000 members of his own (again shelling out or getting members to shell out over $130,000 to party coffers), which means that whoever can get the most members out next Saturday will have the nomination crown.

But where is the money coming from and how are the memberships being purchased given the party’s strict rules regarding members paying for the membership?

Well places sources within both camps say the inner circle power players (the backers) of  the contestants are using prepaid $20 visa cards purchased in bulk to pay for the memberships even though the money may be coming from one, two, 10 or 20 big donours.

In politics everything is dirty but as long as you play by the rules while at the same time circumventing those rules is absolutely fine.


http://thelinkpaper.ca/?p=42922

Brachina

 More Liberal Corruption, wonderful the bad old days are here again and Trudeau isn't even PM.

NorthReport

I have read and reread this article but I can't seem to put me finger on what the Liberals are actually going to do for these new immigrants.

Kinda reminds us of Christy Clark's approach to politics in BC.

Funny dat!

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/12/13/popular_leader_focus_on_ne...

 

 

NorthReport

Convicted - that doesn't bother the Trudeau Liberals. After all Liberals are "entitled to their entitlements".

Talk about spitting in the eye of the voters.

Liberal candidate Sukh Dhaliwal’s income-tax conviction doesn’t concern party campaigner

In the run-up to last year’s provincial election, Dhaliwal withdrew as the B.C. Liberal candidate in Surrey-Panorama after the party learned about his legal issue.

Dhaliwal and his wife were charged under the Income Tax Act in 2012. The two pleaded guilty and were fined in 2013

On December 13 this year, Sukh won the federal Liberal nomination in Surrey-Newton, defeating lawyer Randeep Singh Sarai, who also has had his own troubles.

In 2005, the Law Society of B.C. found Sarai guilty of professional misconduct in connection with real-estate transactions at his law office. He was suspended for one year. He eventually sought reinstatement, which was granted in 2010.

Witherly was asked if the party couldn’t find anyone who doesn’t have a checkered past.

“In a certain sense, they’ve been some of the most popular candidates we’ve had in the party so far,” Witherly said about Dhaliwal and Sarai.

According to Witherly, this was demonstrated by the approximately 6,800 votes cast in the December 13 nomination.

“Clearly they have something to offer,” Witherly said.

Dhaliwal and Sarai signed up a combined 23,000 members for the nomination. With a membership fee of $10, that’s $230,000 going to the national party’s central pot.

Although not even half showed up for the nomination, Witherly said the turnout was significant, noting, “It’s probably the biggest nomination there’s been in the country so far of any party.”

http://www.straight.com/news/792566/liberal-candidate-sukh-dhaliwals-inc...

Pondering

NorthReport wrote:

Convicted - that doesn't bother the Trudeau Liberals. After all Liberals are "entitled to their entitlements".

Talk about spitting in the eye of the voters.

Liberal candidate Sukh Dhaliwal’s income-tax conviction doesn’t concern party campaigner

http://www.straight.com/news/792566/liberal-candidate-sukh-dhaliwals-inc...

I was concerned until I read this:

Witherly explained: “Basically, Sukh’s problem was that he didn’t file the paper work he needed to for one of his companies. But…he wasn’t in a situation where he owed money. So there’s no issue of, like, not paying taxes or avoiding tax. He just didn’t do the paper work. It’s pretty mundane in terms of that issue.”

I should have known it was just a smear.

NorthReport

Thanks as you have just confirmed my point that Liberals think they are entitled to their entitlements regardless of whether or not they break the law as that is of no consequence to them.

Dhaliwal and his wife were charged under the Income Tax Act in 2012. The two pleaded guilty and were fined in 2013

Pondering wrote:

NorthReport wrote:

Convicted - that doesn't bother the Trudeau Liberals. After all Liberals are "entitled to their entitlements".

Talk about spitting in the eye of the voters.

Liberal candidate Sukh Dhaliwal’s income-tax conviction doesn’t concern party campaigner

http://www.straight.com/news/792566/liberal-candidate-sukh-dhaliwals-inc...

I was concerned until I read this:

Witherly explained: “Basically, Sukh’s problem was that he didn’t file the paper work he needed to for one of his companies. But…he wasn’t in a situation where he owed money. So there’s no issue of, like, not paying taxes or avoiding tax. He just didn’t do the paper work. It’s pretty mundane in terms of that issue.”

I should have known it was just a smear.

Pondering

NorthReport wrote:

Thanks as you have just confirmed my point that Liberals think they are entitled to their entitlements regardless of whether or not they break the law as that is of no consequence to them.

Dhaliwal and his wife were charged under the Income Tax Act in 2012. The two pleaded guilty and were fined in 2013

Pondering wrote:

NorthReport wrote:

Convicted - that doesn't bother the Trudeau Liberals. After all Liberals are "entitled to their entitlements".

Talk about spitting in the eye of the voters.

Liberal candidate Sukh Dhaliwal’s income-tax conviction doesn’t concern party campaigner

http://www.straight.com/news/792566/liberal-candidate-sukh-dhaliwals-inc...

I was concerned until I read this:

Witherly explained: “Basically, Sukh’s problem was that he didn’t file the paper work he needed to for one of his companies. But…he wasn’t in a situation where he owed money. So there’s no issue of, like, not paying taxes or avoiding tax. He just didn’t do the paper work. It’s pretty mundane in terms of that issue.”

I should have known it was just a smear.

They paid their fine like anyone else would for failing to file paperwork. They didn't fight it. It's not a reason to bar someone from running for a political position. There is nothing in this that suggests a sense of entitlement.

janfromthebruce

But the Liberal party barred Lawyer David Bertschi because they said:

The party said Bertschi's candidacy was blocked because he had not demonstrated significant progress reducing his leadership campaign debt of $150,000 and that he had failed to disclose a defamation suit he launched in 2013 against an American gossip website but subsequently abandoned.

Bertschi had actually complied with reducing the debt to their initial timeline and dropped the lawsuit so there was nothing to disclose.

Bertschi disputes the reasons the party disallowed his nomination and is appealing the process. Everybody knows that the fix was in for baby Trudeau to get his chosen star candidate in there and he sure doesn't like to be crossed.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/ottawa/story/1.2864099

Only those willing to carry Trudeau Jr.'s silver spoon may stand in his shadow, as he lives off his daddy's name, fame and money.

jjuares

Another Liberal nomination meeting, another mess.

http://www.canada.com/News/politics/Appeal+Toronto+Liberal+nomination+la...

NorthReport

More Trudeau Liberals sleaze - it is becoming a daily occurence now since the annointed leader Trudeau has taken over the reigns.

Barj Dhahan says Liberals pressured him to withdraw from Vancouver South raceF

ormer Vancouver South hopeful says he was told the party had a "preferred" candidate for the riding

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/barj-dhahan-says-liberals....

jjuares

NorthReport wrote:

More Trudeau Liberals sleaze - it is becoming a daily occurence now since the annointed leader Trudeau has taken over the reigns.

Barj Dhahan says Liberals pressured him to withdraw from Vancouver South raceF

ormer Vancouver South hopeful says he was told the party had a "preferred" candidate for the riding

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/barj-dhahan-says-liberals....


When I first read that Dhahan had been pressured to withdraw I wasn't sure of the process of how that was done. According to him they threatened to do an audit and as he pointed out with 200 volunteers signing up thousands of members there will be some incorrect addresses and phone numbers. This tactic reminded me of Harpers audit of charities he didn't like. The other thing that was interesting is that he claims the Liberals would ensure he was the only candidate in another riding if he agreed to run elsewhere. If this is correct they were willing to manipulate the process in two more tidings. Trudeau keeps repeating that they are having "open" meetings. Does he even know what the word means? Oh well, we live in an Orwellian age. You just have to repeat your mantra over and over to be believed even if the opposite is in fact occurring. War is peace. Ignorance is knowledge and so on.

Pondering

jjuares wrote:
NorthReport wrote:

More Trudeau Liberals sleaze - it is becoming a daily occurence now since the annointed leader Trudeau has taken over the reigns.

Barj Dhahan says Liberals pressured him to withdraw from Vancouver South raceF

ormer Vancouver South hopeful says he was told the party had a "preferred" candidate for the riding

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/barj-dhahan-says-liberals....

When I first read that Dhahan had been pressured to withdraw I wasn't sure of the process of how that was done. According to him they threatened to do an audit and as he pointed out with 200 volunteers signing up thousands of members there will be some incorrect addresses and phone numbers.

Dhahan made clear Trudeau never directly suggested that he drop out of the Vancouver South race.

He thought he had the Vancouver South sewn up but the Liberals recruited a better candidate who has the support of the riding executive and who would have won in an open contest so Dhahan quit rather than compete.He feels betrayed because he did well during the last election and had invested time in getting ready for the next.

A audit of membership sign-ups isn't a threat unless there are serious irregularities. No one would be faulted for a few mistakes.

He could have run if he wanted to but he chose to withdraw.

Trudeau's commitment was that he would not appoint anyone, that the riding would choose the candidate. He never said that neither he nor the executive would even express a preference.

Adam T

Pondering wrote:

jjuares wrote:
NorthReport wrote:

More Trudeau Liberals sleaze - it is becoming a daily occurence now since the annointed leader Trudeau has taken over the reigns.

Barj Dhahan says Liberals pressured him to withdraw from Vancouver South raceF

ormer Vancouver South hopeful says he was told the party had a "preferred" candidate for the riding

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/barj-dhahan-says-liberals....

When I first read that Dhahan had been pressured to withdraw I wasn't sure of the process of how that was done. According to him they threatened to do an audit and as he pointed out with 200 volunteers signing up thousands of members there will be some incorrect addresses and phone numbers.

Dhahan made clear Trudeau never directly suggested that he drop out of the Vancouver South race.

He thought he had the Vancouver South sewn up but the Liberals recruited a better candidate who has the support of the riding executive and who would have won in an open contest so Dhahan quit rather than compete.He feels betrayed because he did well during the last election and had invested time in getting ready for the next.

A audit of membership sign-ups isn't a threat unless there are serious irregularities. No one would be faulted for a few mistakes.

He could have run if he wanted to but he chose to withdraw.

Trudeau's commitment was that he would not appoint anyone, that the riding would choose the candidate. He never said that neither he nor the executive would even express a preference.

Delusional.  As I said earlier, Dhahan had signed up 4,000 members while Sajjan had signed up 1,000. 

Sajjan was the favorite of Trudeau, the national Liberal Party and especially the person in charge of Liberal nominations in B.C.   They put pressure on Dhahan to drop out.  

You can try to deny it, but that's the story. I'm a Federal Liberal and I have no problem acknowedging it.

 

Pondering

Adam T wrote:

Delusional.  As I said earlier, Dhahan had signed up 4,000 members while Sajjan had signed up 1,000. 

Sajjan was the favorite of Trudeau, the national Liberal Party and especially the person in charge of Liberal nominations in B.C.   They put pressure on Dhahan to drop out.  

You can try to deny it, but that's the story. I'm a Federal Liberal and I have no problem acknowedging it.

So maybe those 4000 signups were not all legitimate which is why he is so certain they won't be renewed.

He thinks they were out of line to even recruit the other guy.

Pressured how? Being told they have a preferred candidate that the riding executive will support is not being pressured not to run. It's being given pertinent information that could alter your decision. The riding executive is allowed to have a preference.

My bet is that he was ticked off about the Liberal party recruiting a different candidate when they had supported him for the last election. He was pissed so they offered to support him if he wanted to run in the other riding.

You say, "that's the story" but so far we have only heard one end of that story and he has not said that he was asked not to run in the riding.

Adam T

Pondering wrote:

My bet is that he was ticked off about the Liberal party recruiting a different candidate when they had supported him for the last election. He was pissed so they offered to support him if he wanted to run in the other riding.

?????? He didn't run in the last election.

 

Pondering

Adam T wrote:

Pondering wrote:

My bet is that he was ticked off about the Liberal party recruiting a different candidate when they had supported him for the last election. He was pissed so they offered to support him if he wanted to run in the other riding.

?????? He didn't run in the last election.

I thought he had. I must have confused him with someone else. All the more reason why he has no valid cause for complaint as far as I can tell from what he has said so far. He is presenting his conclusion about what happened not just giving us the facts and certainly not giving them within the context of the conversation.

He does not say that they asked him not to run.

Even more confusing, it doesn't seem like he is accusing the Liberal party of anything at all.

Dear Friends,

Late last year, I expressed an interest in seeking the Liberal Party of Canada nomination for the riding of Vancouver South. Over the past twelve months, I have learned much from meeting and talking with countless residents in Vancouver South – many of whom are immigrants or children of immigrants. They care deeply about the future of our country and the well-being of their families. Many have joined the Liberal Party in Vancouver South to support my candidacy for the nomination.

This campaign has gone on longer than I initially expected and the Liberal Party has a preferred candidate. After much thought, I have decided that I will not seek this nomination, and will instead support the Liberal Party of Canada’s efforts in other ways. I thank all of you – friends, family, neighbours and residents of Vancouver South – for your incredible generosity and enthusiastic support. I look forward to continuing my work to make Canada a better, more caring, inclusive, and prosperous country for all.

Barj S. Dhahan

http://www.barjdhahan.ca/news/in-the-news/moving-towards-future

Apparently the complaints are coming from supporters and I don't think their names are being used.

There was another nomination that resulted in riding officials resigning that seems sketchy. This one seems like it could be a tempest in a tea pot.

jjuares

Pondering wrote:

Adam T wrote:

Pondering wrote:

My bet is that he was ticked off about the Liberal party recruiting a different candidate when they had supported him for the last election. He was pissed so they offered to support him if he wanted to run in the other riding.

?????? He didn't run in the last election.

I thought he had. I must have confused him with someone else. All the more reason why he has no valid cause for complaint as far as I can tell from what he has said so far. He is presenting his conclusion about what happened not just giving us the facts and certainly not giving them within the context of the conversation.

He does not say that they asked him not to run.

Even more confusing, it doesn't seem like he is accusing the Liberal party of anything at all.

Dear Friends,

Late last year, I expressed an interest in seeking the Liberal Party of Canada nomination for the riding of Vancouver South. Over the past twelve months, I have learned much from meeting and talking with countless residents in Vancouver South – many of whom are immigrants or children of immigrants. They care deeply about the future of our country and the well-being of their families. Many have joined the Liberal Party in Vancouver South to support my candidacy for the nomination.

This campaign has gone on longer than I initially expected and the Liberal Party has a preferred candidate. After much thought, I have decided that I will not seek this nomination, and will instead support the Liberal Party of Canada’s efforts in other ways. I thank all of you – friends, family, neighbours and residents of Vancouver South – for your incredible generosity and enthusiastic support. I look forward to continuing my work to make Canada a better, more caring, inclusive, and prosperous country for all.

Barj S. Dhahan

http://www.barjdhahan.ca/news/in-the-news/moving-towards-future

Apparently the complaints are coming from supporters and I don't think their names are being used.

There was another nomination that resulted in riding officials resigning that seems sketchy. This one seems like it could be a tempest in a tea pot.


Well of course the comments that we were talking about came directly from the candidate himself. Since he issued this statement he has given an interview and elaborated on his concerns. This is such a dishonest tactic you are using here.

jjuares

Okay let's go through Pondering's falsehoods and unsubstantiated allegations.

Pondering says that , "He thinks that they were out of line to even recruit the other guy". He said no such thing .Pondering just made that up.

Pondering said, "Pressured how? Being told they have a preferred candidate that the riding executive will support is not being pressured not to run."

I saw no reference to the riding executive in the interview. It was the campaign co-chairs that made the contact. I have no idea where you got the idea it was riding executive making this intervention.

Pondering said, "... and he has not said that he was asked not to run in the riding". In fact they went so far to dissuade him that they promised that he could have another riding and that they would manipulate the situation so that he would be the only candidate for the nomination. This was the focus of the interview.

Several falsehoods in one post. Some of your best work I'd say. Congratulations.

ygtbk

jjuares wrote:
Okay let's go through Pondering's falsehoods and unsubstantiated allegations. Pondering says that , "He thinks that they were out of line to even recruit the other guy". He said no such thing .Pondering just made that up. Pondering said, "Pressured how? Being told they have a preferred candidate that the riding executive will support is not being pressured not to run." I saw no reference to the riding executive in the interview. It was the campaign co-chairs that made the contact. I have no idea where you got the idea it was riding executive making this intervention. Pondering said, "... and he has not said that he was asked not to run in the riding". In fact they went so far to dissuade him that they promised that he could have another riding and that they would manipulate the situation so that he would be the only candidate for the nomination. This was the focus of the interview. Several falsehoods in one post. Some of your best work I'd say. Congratulations.

You have _way_ more patience than I have to work through the details. Short story - if Pondering says "take sunscreen", I'd take an umbrella.

Pondering

jjuares wrote:
Pondering said,  In fact they went so far to dissuade him that they promised that he could have another riding and that they would manipulate the situation so that he would be the only candidate for the nomination. This was the focus of the interview. Several falsehoods in one post. Some of your best work I'd say. Congratulations.

Do you have a link to that claim?

Sorry, I thought "campaign co-chairs" would be part of the executive of a riding.

jjuares

Pondering wrote:

jjuares wrote:
Pondering said,  In fact they went so far to dissuade him that they promised that he could have another riding and that they would manipulate the situation so that he would be the only candidate for the nomination. This was the focus of the interview. Several falsehoods in one post. Some of your best work I'd say. Congratulations.

Do you have a link to that claim?


Glad to help out.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/barj-dhahan-says-liberals...

Hint-watch the interview and don't just rely on the summary provided in the article. You will get a better sense of what he is saying. I expect you not to answer my charge that you misrepresented this. Instead I expect you will just try to spin it off in another direction. It's what you do best.

Jacob Two-Two

Liberals are scumbags. Justin is a liar with zero ethics. The sky is blue. The ocean is deep.

jjuares

Pondering wrote:

jjuares wrote:
Pondering said,  In fact they went so far to dissuade him that they promised that he could have another riding and that they would manipulate the situation so that he would be the only candidate for the nomination. This was the focus of the interview. Several falsehoods in one post. Some of your best work I'd say. Congratulations.

Do you have a link to that claim?

Sorry, I thought "campaign co-chairs" would be part of the executive of a riding.


See the link provided above.
Obviously not as they told him that they could manipulate it so that he would be the only candidate in another riding. No riding executive would have that power over another riding.

Pondering

jjuares wrote:
Pondering wrote:

jjuares wrote:
Pondering said,  In fact they went so far to dissuade him that they promised that he could have another riding and that they would manipulate the situation so that he would be the only candidate for the nomination. This was the focus of the interview. Several falsehoods in one post. Some of your best work I'd say. Congratulations.

Do you have a link to that claim?

Sorry, I thought "campaign co-chairs" would be part of the executive of a riding.

See the link provided above. Obviously not as they told him that they could manipulate it so that he would be the only candidate in another riding. No riding executive would have that power over another riding.

That is not what he said. He claims they said he would be unopposed in the other riding. That could just as easily mean they don't have anyone else credible seeking a nomination there.

He also said he believes that Trudeau is sincere in committing to open nominations and that Trudeau never asked him not to run.

Having worked for a year to sign up members I'm not surprised that he feels he should have had more support but he was not forced to pull out. He could have still submitted his nomination papers which he did receive. Auditing his membership sign-ups shouldn't have been a problem if there were just some clerical errors involved. On the other hand it is quite possible some of his volunteers are not as honest as he is.

I have "felt pressured" to do a lot of things that doesn't mean I do them.

jjuares

Pondering wrote:

That is not what he said. He claims they said he would be unopposed in the other riding. That could just as easily mean they don't have anyone else credible seeking a nomination there.


No this is what he said, "They weren't simply offering me to run in (Surrey Centre),they were saying that the nomination would be managed in such a way that I would be the sole candidate-essentially that I would be acclaimed."

So no it doesn't mean that he would be up opposed through chance but that they would manipulate it so no other candidates would run. They would "manage" the nomination. So it does not easily mean anything of the sort. Here is your challenge, and it's a big one for you, post something without one flagrant falsehood.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/barj-dhahan-says-liberals...

jjuares

Pondering wrote:

Having worked for a year to sign up members I'm not surprised that he feels he should have had more support but he was not forced to pull out.


According to Adam (another Liberal) in post 467 (the one in which he calls your post, "delusional") he had signed up 4000 members to his opponents 1000. Gee he may have wanted a 5 to 1 advantage but I guess he would have to settle for a 4 to 1 advantage. He clearly didn't have a chance.

Pondering

jjuares wrote:
  Well of course the comments that we were talking about came directly from the candidate himself. Since he issued this statement he has given an interview and elaborated on his concerns. This is such a dishonest tactic you are using here.

Which I saw and he is not making accusations the way his supporters are and he is continuing to support the Liberal party. From everything he said he could still have run. he still received his nomination papers. As far as I can tell:

He was told the party had a preferred candidate meaning someone they think has a better chance of winning the riding.

He was told he would be the only candidate if he chose to run in another riding.(I am assuming riding executives or campaign co-chairs talk to one another).

He was shown some irregularities in his membership sign-ups and told an audit would be done.

He decided to withdraw but not run in the other riding either.

As far as I can tell that is the sum total of what happened.

 

Pondering

jjuares wrote:
Pondering wrote:

That is not what he said. He claims they said he would be unopposed in the other riding. That could just as easily mean they don't have anyone else credible seeking a nomination there.

No this is what he said, "They weren't simply offering me to run in (Surrey Centre),they were saying that the nomination would be managed in such a way that I would be the sole candidate-essentially that I would be acclaimed." So no it doesn't mean that he would be up opposed through chance but that they would manipulate it so no other candidates would run. They would "manage" the nomination. So it does not easily mean anything of the sort. Here is your challenge, and it's a big one for you, post something without one flagrant falsehood.
">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/barj-dhahan-says-liberals...

That is his understanding of what they said. I very much doubt that they told him they would manipulate it so no one else could run. If no one else has applied yet it would be easy to just acclaim him hence "managing" the nomination. Harper is claiming he won't call an election for spring but it could happen so the nominations have to come fast now. Any ridings that are currently uncontested and have a good candidate are going to move it along.

I have no doubt that the campaign co-chairs tried to persuade him to step aside for the man they think is the better candidate but he did not have to agree.

jjuares

Pondering wrote:

That is his understanding of what they said. I very much doubt that they told him they would manipulate it so no one else could run. If no one else has applied yet it would be easy to just acclaim him hence "managing" the nomination. Harper is claiming he won't call an election for spring but it could happen so the nominations have to come fast now. Any ridings that are currently uncontested and have a good candidate are going to move it along.


Okay you choose to believe he misunderstood because it is convenient for you to do so. Of course you have no proof of that just baseless conjecture. They would still have a call for nominations assuming Trudeau's claim to open nominations isn't totally bogus and others could put their name forward.

Pondering

jjuares wrote:
Pondering wrote:

That is his understanding of what they said. I very much doubt that they told him they would manipulate it so no one else could run. If no one else has applied yet it would be easy to just acclaim him hence "managing" the nomination. Harper is claiming he won't call an election for spring but it could happen so the nominations have to come fast now. Any ridings that are currently uncontested and have a good candidate are going to move it along.

Okay you choose to believe he misunderstood because it is convenient for you to do so. Of course you have no proof of that just baseless conjecture. They would still have a call for nominations assuming Trudeau's claim to open nominations isn't totally bogus and others could put their name forward.

Are you saying there has been no call for nominations in that riding?  I don't know how the system works. Wouldn't all the ridings have called for nominations already?

Actually, he didn't say anything about manipulation, that word choice was yours not his. He said it would be managed. That does not automatically translate into other people being prevented from applying. Are all ridings usually contested?

jjuares

Pondering wrote:
Auditing his membership sign-ups shouldn't have been a problem if there were just some clerical errors involved. On the other hand it is quite possible some of his volunteers are not as honest as he is.

I have "felt pressured" to do a lot of things that doesn't mean I do them.


This is the most interesting part of the interview. He said that they wouldn't give him a written report. They just showed him a screen shot and a vague email. He wanted to address any discrepancies but they wouldn't tell him which members had incorrect information. It may have nothing to do with honesty. The biggest challenge is making sure members live in the riding which can be a challenge because no volunteer would know all the boundaries. Also simply transposing telephone digits might disqualify people or at least require a correction. But why on earth would they not give him the copy. 4000 new members and 200 volunteers -there would be many errors as there would be in his opponents list. No open nomination here.

jjuares

Pondering wrote:

jjuares wrote:
Pondering wrote:

That is his understanding of what they said. I very much doubt that they told him they would manipulate it so no one else could run. If no one else has applied yet it would be easy to just acclaim him hence "managing" the nomination. Harper is claiming he won't call an election for spring but it could happen so the nominations have to come fast now. Any ridings that are currently uncontested and have a good candidate are going to move it along.

Okay you choose to believe he misunderstood because it is convenient for you to do so. Of course you have no proof of that just baseless conjecture. They would still have a call for nominations assuming Trudeau's claim to open nominations isn't totally bogus and others could put their name forward.

Are you saying there has been no call for nominations in that riding?  I don't know how the system works. Wouldn't all the ridings have called for nominations already?

Actually, he didn't say anything about manipulation, that word choice was yours not his. He said it would be managed. That does not automatically translate into other people being prevented from applying. Are all ridings usually contested?


The usual processs is you open the nominations and then there is a window to be nominated. Yes, he said it would be managed in such a way that no one else would run. That is the whole point. Other people would not be running against him even if they wanted. That is exactly what the co-chairs said to him is his claim. You keep repeating this nonsense that it does not automatically mean that. They can apply but their nominations would not be allowed to go forward. He couldn't have been more clear that they were clearing the way in another riding.

Pondering

jjuares wrote:
This is the most interesting part of the interview. He said that they wouldn't give him a written report. They just showed him a screen shot and a vague email. He wanted to address any discrepancies but they wouldn't tell him which members had incorrect information. It may have nothing to do with honesty. The biggest challenge is making sure members live in the riding which can be a challenge because no volunteer would know all the boundaries. Also simply transposing telephone digits might disqualify people or at least require a correction. But why on earth would they not give him the copy. 4000 new members and 200 volunteers -there would be many errors as there would be in his opponents list.

They had not yet done the audit. They showed him the information that they had found by spot checking. There was no "report". That is what an audit would have produced.

Thanks for the explanation on the nominations process. I do find that worrying and I do agree that in some ridings there have been significant problems. I recall one was closed quickly and suddenly leading to an acclamation and I think in another riding executives quit for a similar reason. It could have been the same riding but I don't think so. I'm not happy about those problems and they do leave a stain.

I just think that this particular case isn't that bad. The guy still could have run. I think Trudeau should have been more upfront about the party still heavily favoring one candidate over another.

NorthReport

Close me out please and thanks.

MegB

Closing for length.

Pages

Topic locked