Liberals paranoid and obsessed with Jagmeet Singh

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mighty Middle
Liberals paranoid and obsessed with Jagmeet Singh

Justin Trudeau Liberals are in trouble and sinking fast! That according to NDP Pundit & Columnist Tom Parkin tweeting

"They are paranoid and obsessed with Singh"

https://twitter.com/Tom_Parkin_/status/969276238262087680

A government that’s already fighting unpopularity and a growing sense that re-election is hopeless.”

https://twitter.com/Tom_Parkin_/status/969279359763787776

Concerted effort is required to ignore the-NDP-leader-who-must-no-be-named. There is a strict rule against his mention because he is irrelevant. And that is why Trudeau went to India and is suddenly concerned about pharmacare.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Parkin_/status/969324051675086849

Trudeau now persona non grata in Australia, Japan, China and India. That’s about 1/3 of the world!

https://twitter.com/Tom_Parkin_/status/969343057484238848

Guess Justin Trudeau is going to be a one-hit wonder. Jagmeet Singh wife Gurkiran Kaur Sidhu should start picking out the drapes for the PM residence.

voice of the damned

I get why he might not be the hottest property in India right now, but why would be be persona non grata in Australia, Japan, and China?

josh

Tom Parkin?  Ok.  Unbiased source.  I'm convinced.

indigo 007 indigo 007's picture

 I have been following the  press coverage, both nationally and internationally, on Trudeau`s India fiasco. His days are numbered. There is going to be a huge shake up in the Liberal party. They have been running on empty for too long.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

I tried to Google "Tom Parkin NDP" but all I got was this:

Toronto Sun?  'Nuff said.

What is his role in the NDP, Mighty Middle?

WWWTT

indigo 007 wrote:

 I have been following the  press coverage, both nationally and internationally, on Trudeau`s India fiasco. His days are numbered. There is going to be a huge shake up in the Liberal party. They have been running on empty for too long.

hi indigo 007. It’s good to see you participating and sharing your comment. However I disagree with your view about a shake up. Beyond Justin’s celebrity circus freek side show persona, I just can’t imagine what the liberals have that they can “shake up”

Mighty Middle

Tom Parkin is a former NDP staffer with both the Ontario and Saskatchewan governments. Currently a columnist with Postmedia and political pundit on both TV and radio representing the NDP persepective.

Pondering

Cute,  they don't mention Singh, leader of the third party trailing badly in the polls because they are obsessed with him. Makes no sense. The Liberals were talking about pharmacare and bulk buying before they were elected. 

JKR

Pondering wrote:

Cute,  they don't mention Singh, leader of the third party trailing badly in the polls because they are obsessed with him. Makes no sense. The Liberals were talking about pharmacare and bulk buying before they were elected. 

In the next election the Conservatives could win a false FPTP "majority" even if a large majority of voters support other parties that support programs like pharmacare. Conservatives sure benefit from FPTP!

WWWTT

Edited out 

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
Tom Parkin is a former NDP staffer

Can you clarify what you mean by "former"?

Do you mean he no longer represents them?

Pondering

JKR wrote:

Pondering wrote:

Cute,  they don't mention Singh, leader of the third party trailing badly in the polls because they are obsessed with him. Makes no sense. The Liberals were talking about pharmacare and bulk buying before they were elected. 

In the next election the Conservatives could win a false FPTP "majority" even if a large majority of voters support other parties that support programs like pharmacare. Conservatives sure benefit from FPTP!

Or they could win a minority and the Liberals and NDP could kick them out like in BC. Or, the most likely scenario, Trudeau will win another majority for his second term. 

There is no election tomorrow. Trudeau was in third place before the 2015 election. He will have a strong platform for 2019. The Conservatives will not. 

If voters get pissed off about pharmacare they will go NDP not Conservative. I'm curious as to what Scheer will offer. I haven't paid him any attention. I haven't heard anything about recriminalizing cannabis so I don't think they will go there. It really can't be rolled back at this point. There has been too much investment. They can't use the abortion issue anymore. After ten years in power nobody will believe them. Gay marriage is a lost cause. I guess they can focus on anti-sex-education Pretty much all they have is lowering taxes. Their answer to NAFTA negotiations was "give them whatever they want!". I think the notion of the Conservatives winning the next election with a majority are slim to none. Sometime earth-shattering would have to happen. 

I think it is pretty traditional for the PM to ignore the 3rd party but I'm sure his tacticians have mutiple strategies worked out for the campaign. 

I honestly don't know if he should be a afraid or not. I think Singh is great. I think he is charismatic and will do tremendously well in the debates. I can't predict how voters will react to him the way I could with Trudeau. 

mark_alfred

Parkin was commenting on Hébert's article.  Here's Hébert's article:  https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/02/28/india-visit-a...

Chantal Hébert wrote:

Connect the dots between Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s India adventure and Tuesday’s budget and what you find is what was meant to be a pre-emptive one-two punch against the NDP.

Trudeau is hardly the first prime minister to use trips abroad — including to India — to shore up support in selected communities at home. But it is fair to ask whether he would have spent quite as many days touring India and brought along quite as many MPs, including four ministers of Indian origin, if Jagmeet Singh had not become NDP leader.

She goes on to say that the NDP are not looking like they'll make huge gains next election, given that they're still polling around 20%.  But, they could make some gains in ridings with large communities of south Asian descent, which would hurt the Lib's chance at maintaining a majority.  So, if the NDP do a bit better, and the Cons do a bit better, then the Libs could be looking at a plurality instead of a majority.  So, she feels they're trying to stave off losses to the NDP.  It does seem this "pre-emptive one-two punch" has failed... though hard to tell how the communities of south Asian descent (particularly Sikhs) are reacting to Trudeau's India visit.

mark_alfred

Here's Tom Parkin's article on the subject:  Trudeau’s India bungle had one cause: Fear of Jagmeet Singh

Sean in Ottawa

indigo 007 wrote:

 I have been following the  press coverage, both nationally and internationally, on Trudeau`s India fiasco. His days are numbered. There is going to be a huge shake up in the Liberal party. They have been running on empty for too long.

I also want to say that I am very happy to see you participating in conversation here. I think this will lead to a better relationship between you and the community and it may also add to the blogs that you write.

I do not think that the Liberals are close to anything like a shakeup. The reason is natural. Trudeau brought them off their deathbed to government. They will not knife him in the first term (even if he deserved it). This is a party that suffered a great deal due to disloyalty and therefore loyalty on principle woulf be a big deal.

Now if Trudeau consistently polled below the Conservatives for several months sentiments could change but even then that might be a hard thing to ask for.

Now the NDP has gone all-in on PR and could not prop up a Liberal government without PR. This could create interesting choices for Trudeau if he lost his majority in the next election. It remains unlikely that the NDP and Liberals together would not have a majority after the next election so this is a dynamic both parties will need to consider as the Liberals have been polling below a majority more often than not of late...