babble-intro-img
babble is rabble.ca's discussion board but it's much more than that: it's an online community for folks who just won't shut up. It's a place to tell each other — and the world — what's up with our work and campaigns.

Pat Martin quits Twitter permanently

Unionist
Offline
Joined: Dec 11 2005

What a loss!!! And on the eve of the end of the world!!! Life is no longer worth living!!! O, woe!!!!!!!!

 


Comments

Unionist
Offline
Joined: Dec 11 2005

Another abusive Twitter exchange has NDP MP Pat Martin swearing off tweeting

He was obviously, obviously, ordered to do so by more rational members of the party hierarchy:

Quote:

Indeed, NDP spokesman Karl Belanger quickly confirmed Martin's decision.

"These comments were simply inappropriate and unacceptable," Belanger said in a statement. "Mr. Martin agrees and we understand that he has decided to stop using his Twitter account."

Next step: Is there any way to get him to swear off talking?

 


Caissa
Offline
Joined: Jun 14 2006

I don't know what pat Martin has against rats and sex workers.


Sean in Ottawa
Offline
Joined: Jun 3 2003

His comments were not excusable. As a NDP supporter I sincerely hope that others do not try to excuse him for those words as they will only cause further embarrassment to the party.

If anyone knows him personally perhaps they could encourage him to learn a bit about progressive language.

As for his targets-- I did not learn anything new about them as a result of Martin's loss of control and respect for himself, his party and the principles we would hope he would share with us.


6079_Smith_W
Online
Joined: Jun 10 2010

Aristotleded24
Offline
Joined: May 24 2005

Sean in Ottawa wrote:
His comments were not excusable. As a NDP supporter I sincerely hope that others do not try to excuse him for those words as they will only cause further embarrassment to the party.

If anyone knows him personally perhaps they could encourage him to learn a bit about progressive language.

As for his targets-- I did not learn anything new about them as a result of Martin's loss of control and respect for himself, his party and the principles we would hope he would share with us.

I agree. Only Pat Martin could come off looking bad in an exchange with not only Candice Hoeppner but Marjorie LeBreton as well.


NorthReport
Offline
Joined: Jul 6 2008
Pat buddy, do the right thing now and bow out of future elections Either that or mulcair needs to put him out of his misery now! Enough is enough from this clown giving the media a circus performing event to shoot the ndp for and distract from harpers twisted agenda Thanks a fucking lot asshole!

mark_alfred
Offline
Joined: Jan 3 2004

Good move on his part.  In fact, I think everyone should abandon Twitter, along with Facebook and perhaps the whole Internet itself.


Unionist
Offline
Joined: Dec 11 2005

mark_alfred wrote:

Good move on his part.

You think it was a move on his part? I got news for you.

 


Catchfire
Offline
Joined: Apr 16 2003

Unionist, I feel that you have a blue-tinged tweet in you on the subject of Pat Martin's twitter departure. Maybe we could get it here. #hoping

I daresay I agree with mark_alfred that dropping this whole internet fad would be a positive step for most people I know. I would have to go back to reading books, however. That would  be a pain.


theleftyinvestor
Offline
Joined: Jun 6 2008

I was okay with the F-bombs. The word "whore" was crossing the line beyond redemption.


jjuares
Offline
Joined: Jan 21 2012

theleftyinvestor wrote:

I was okay with the F-bombs. The word "whore" was crossing the line beyond redemption.

For most people the opposite was probably true.


Michelle
Offline
Joined: May 10 2001

Yeah, I had no problem with his previous Twitter "scandal" of dropping f-bombs.  "Whore" is over the line because it's sexist and marginalizes sex workers, but if he hadn't used that word, this wouldn't be a problem for me either. 

That said, you should hear what I call the Harper Conservatives...  ;)

Don't really like Pat Martin's politics - he's too right-wing for me.  But every once in a while he makes me stand up and cheer.  I wish this could have been one of those times.  I don't mind rage so much, but sexist epithets used in a rage are unacceptable.

 


Buddy Kat
Offline
Joined: Sep 21 2006

I had just finished posting a you tube vid with a blue rat in it...and heard the news and said ..at least he conveys what some think ..maybe with too much color in his words but he conveys the anger a lot of people feel..Maybe he should pick up an instruement to let some frustration out..I like the guitar, wife likes drums..

Here is a new vid for Pat Martin to enjoy..He is not alone in his anger and frustration over the Cons

New http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns_F-08rrbU New

 


Mr.Tea
Offline
Joined: Jul 9 2011

I wonder if he was drunk. I think the best app that anyone could invent for an iPhone would be a breathalizer that you have to blow into before it will let you send a tweet or text. 


theleftyinvestor
Offline
Joined: Jun 6 2008

Mr.Tea wrote:

I wonder if he was drunk. I think the best app that anyone could invent for an iPhone would be a breathalizer that you have to blow into before it will let you send a tweet or text. 

Call it "Birdalyzer".


Brachina
Offline
Joined: Feb 15 2012

theleftyinvestor wrote:

I was okay with the F-bombs. The word "whore" was crossing the line beyond redemption.

I don't believe in a line beyond possible redemption, and if thier was one word said in understandable rage. I think Redemption and forgiveness is amoung the greatest weapons the left has. That being said clearly the stress is starting to get to Pat Martin and maybe its time for him to retire soon, before it compromises his health or maybe he should have tweeted Serenity Now! :p

Sean in Ottawa
Offline
Joined: Jun 3 2003

I'm all for redemption and forgiveness when it is followed by recognition and learning. I just don't want it to be excused. I am happy to see here that it is not being excused.


Aristotleded24
Offline
Joined: May 24 2005

Sean in Ottawa wrote:
I'm all for redemption and forgiveness when it is followed by recognition and learning. I just don't want it to be excused. I am happy to see here that it is not being excused.

Methinks Mr. Martin should excuse himself from his duties as an MP.


Arthur Cramer
Offline
Joined: Nov 30 2010

Aristotleded24 wrote:

Sean in Ottawa wrote:
I'm all for redemption and forgiveness when it is followed by recognition and learning. I just don't want it to be excused. I am happy to see here that it is not being excused.

Methinks Mr. Martin should excuse himself from his duties as an MP.

 

I completely agree with both of you; bang on as always!


quizzical
Offline
Joined: Dec 8 2011

really??? being all up in the air and wanting him to resign 'cause his words weren't "progressive" is one of the things spouted by my mom that made me cringe and turn off the NDP. i mean really???

there's not enough shit happening  needing action i guess.

shakes head and wandrs off


Boom Boom
Offline
Joined: Dec 29 2004

Let's not forget Pat Martin isn't the only MP that uses bad language. If Martin is forced to resign for naughty language, then so should some others be.

 


onlinediscountanvils
Offline
Joined: Jun 7 2012

quizzical wrote:
really??? being all up in the air and wanting him to resign 'cause his words weren't "progressive" is one of the things spouted by my mom that made me cringe and turn off the NDP. i mean really???

there's not enough shit happening  needing action i guess.

I would think sexism and misogyny need action.

 

Boom Boom wrote:
Let's not forget Pat Martin isn't the only MP that uses bad language. If Martin is forced to resign for naughty language, then so should some others be.

I doubt he'll be forced to resign, but regardless, this isn't about "naughty" language.


6079_Smith_W
Online
Joined: Jun 10 2010

onlinediscountanvils wrote:

I doubt he'll be forced to resign, but regardless, this isn't about "naughty" language.

I agree with you there, but I'd also say it is more about drawing bad attention and appearing to be out of control than it is about compliance with a moral code.

That's not to say that people are wrong to call him on his use of language, but in terms of actual consequences for those words, I don't see that going anywhere.

If this were an isolated incident I don't think he'd be hanging up his mouse.

 


kropotkin1951
Offline
Joined: Jun 6 2002

It is about inappropriate language.  The Missing Women Inquiry proved that "rat faced whores" get no respect.  That kind of language feeds into the systemic racism that plagues the city he represents because it dehumanizes women in an attempt to insult a privileged man.


6079_Smith_W
Online
Joined: Jun 10 2010

Well he used inappropriate language, and it is entirely in order for people to call him on it, especially given his position.

But I doubt the musing about his future is all over the use of that word, nor even the inference that it might be a sign of a deeper misogyny.

I'd say it has more to do with his existing record of being a loose cannon and attracting the wrong kind of attention - even though there seem to be plenty of people who like his vulgar way of speaking his mind.

 


kropotkin1951
Offline
Joined: Jun 6 2002

Your right 6979 systemic misogyny is one of those things that is a marginal issue.  Nothing to see there lets look somewhere else.  You are so insightful.  We should all pay way more attention to the views of the Homer's of this world since they love the vulgar and progressive change is all about dumbing down the debate until it fits within the norms of a MSM audience.  I don't know why anyone would want to post somewhere that divergent opinions are expressed when the majority of Canadians do not agree.


Aristotleded24
Offline
Joined: May 24 2005

6079_Smith_W wrote:
onlinediscountanvils wrote:

I doubt he'll be forced to resign, but regardless, this isn't about "naughty" language.

I agree with you there, but I'd also say it is more about drawing bad attention and appearing to be out of control than it is about compliance with a moral code.

That's not to say that people are wrong to call him on his use of language, but in terms of actual consequences for those words, I don't see that going anywhere.

If this were an isolated incident I don't think he'd be hanging up his mouse.

Exactly. The problem is that the "natural base" of the NDP is also the most difficult to motivate to vote. One of the reasons for this is that they find the intense partisan arguing too much to stomach, and incidents like these only prove these people correct, that "they're all a bunch of crooks," and they stop paying attention. It's for that reason that the standard of behaviour for NDP MPs has to be perfect, if not higher. That's why Jack was very big on having the Caucus act in a civil fashion.


6079_Smith_W
Online
Joined: Jun 10 2010

kropotkin1951 wrote:

Your right 6979 systemic misogyny is one of those things that is a marginal issue.

I didn't say the issue of misogyny was marginal, nor that the use of inappropriate language shouldn't be criticized.

I said that I don't think that's the real reason Martin has stopped using twitter, and that questions are being raised about his conduct. This is a far more longstanding problem.. one I agree needs to be dealt with.

And while no, I don't think Martin's choice of words was justified, I do think it is significant that some people feel he speaks for them. I don't see their input as dumbing down any more than any other situation where someone has had enough and feels there is no other means of expressing outrage.

And whether the expression is wrong or not... those peoples' grievances and welfare ARE our concern.

 

 


kropotkin1951
Offline
Joined: Jun 6 2002

6079_Smith_W wrote:

I do think it is significant that some people feel he speaks for them. I don't see their input as dumbing down any more than any other situation where someone has had enough and feels there is no other means of expressing outrage.

And whether the expression is wrong or not... those peoples' grievances and welfare ARE our concern.

I disagree completely.  Not all grievances are my concern. I am not worried about white peoples grievances against nasty Indians who blockade, I am not worried about grievances of men's rights movements when they claim feminism is the cause of their problems.  I do not support misogynist MP's and the louts who cheer lead them on. All those views are seen on MSM forums and no they are not my concern.  I am not worried about their "grievances" because their grievances are self centered demands to view the world from their narrow perspective.  You can concern yourself with anything you want but please don't include the rest of us.  I for instance don't have any concern for the kind of people who feel Vic Toews speaks for them.  Why should louts who support Pat Martin in his unintentional misogyny be my concern except to do what I did which is to call women hating language what it is.  You seem to be prescribing letting the louts world view prevail because after all their warped grievances and privilaged welfare should be my concern.


6079_Smith_W
Online
Joined: Jun 10 2010

*Phew*

Good thing I didn't make an admission like Michellle did at #12, or I'd be one of your louts and Homers like her too. Though frankly, I think she hit the nail on the head.

And yes, I think we are going to have to disagree. "Whore" is a difficult and inappropriate word. But my reaction was more to say "what the fuck was he thinking" rather than to equate it with all the extremes that you have.

And that's why I think this has more to do with his recklessness (and in particular not really learning from that lawsuit) than his use of that misogynist word, or even the fact that he is seen by some as on the right of the party.

Yes, he should give his head a shake and think about this, but to question whether he and others belong in the same social movement as me  (and I think that sentiment is being implied here) is not really my business, and an exercise that is more likely to wind up with me sitting in a closet alone.

And personally, I still oppose the Harperites' changes to justice and cuts to prisons, even though I suspect some of the people in those institutions hold attitudes I would find extremely offensive. If social justice only means justice for me and my friends, it ain't really justice, is it?

 

 

 

 


Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or register to post comments