Potential Ruth Ellen Brosseau Candidacy for Leadership

198 posts / 0 new
Last post
scott16
Potential Ruth Ellen Brosseau Candidacy for Leadership

I think she could be a good choice.That's if/when Mulcair steps down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Ellen_Brosseau

She'd have my vote. I think she would resonate with all Canadians. Someone in another thread suggested she could be Trudeau kryptonite.

 

I am open to other topics being opened for other potential candidates.

 

josh

Why?

jas

This is ridiculously premature. Chill out. In a year's time, we can assess. The NDP has some internal rebuilding to do.

Unionist

I thought there were laws against littering?

Basement Dweller

Unionist wrote:

I thought there were laws against littering?

What are you saying?

Unionist

Basement Dweller wrote:

Unionist wrote:

I thought there were laws against littering?

What are you saying?

Throwing out new thread titles just for the hell of it. It's also called "spamming".

There's already a thread entitled [url=http://rabble.ca/babble/election-2015/next-federal-ndp-leader]Next Federal NDP Leader[/url]. What's the problem: Ruth Ellen Brosseau is too grandiose, her achievements too numerous, her potential too limitless, to fit within the narrow boundaries of that other thread?

Maybe I'll open another new thread along the same lines:

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/1989-audrey-mclaughlin-is-first-woman-t... only woman who can lead the NDP to victory within our lifetime!![/url]

Or should I restrain myself?

 

josh

Unionist wrote:

Maybe I'll open another new thread along the same lines:

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/1989-audrey-mclaughlin-is-first-woman-t... only woman who can lead the NDP to victory within our lifetime!![/url]

Or should I restrain myself?

 

Quote:

the New Democratic Party of Canada has a new leader on Dec. 2, 2989. Audrey McLaughlin,

May we live that long!

Unionist

josh wrote:
Unionist wrote:

Maybe I'll open another new thread along the same lines:

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/1989-audrey-mclaughlin-is-first-woman-t... only woman who can lead the NDP to victory within our lifetime!![/url]

Or should I restrain myself?

 

Quote:
the New Democratic Party of Canada has a new leader on Dec. 2, 2989. Audrey McLaughlin,

May we live that long!

What are you saying, josh? You think that even with all that lead time, Audrey just won't be ready??

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

josh wrote:
Unionist wrote:

Quote:
the New Democratic Party of Canada has a new leader on Dec. 2, 2989. Audrey McLaughlin,

May we live that long!

This would appear to be a rare sighting of the Y2K bug in the wild.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

I think that Brosseau retaining her seat was one of the few good news stories of Monday evening.  It didn't change the NDPs fortunes much, but she certainly got to silence a lot of the critics that snickered when she was first elected, and I think she's also proof that being male, middle-aged, wealthy and a lawyer aren't absolute pre-requisites for being an elected representative.

It's fair to say that her first election wasn't really about her, but it's also fair to say that her re-election wasn't really about Jack.  She earned it the hard way and that's worth a big high five.

But party leader now?

I'm not comparing their politics, their ethics, or even their intelligence when I say this, but somehow the "MEB for Leader" push immediately reminds me of "Palin for President".

scott16
Basement Dweller

 

Thank you, I had forgotten how awesome REB is.

Brachina

Mr. Magoo wrote:

I think that Brosseau retaining her seat was one of the few good news stories of Monday evening.  It didn't change the NDPs fortunes much, but she certainly got to silence a lot of the critics that snickered when she was first elected, and I think she's also proof that being male, middle-aged, wealthy and a lawyer aren't absolute pre-requisites for being an elected representative.

It's fair to say that her first election wasn't really about her, but it's also fair to say that her re-election wasn't really about Jack.  She earned it the hard way and that's worth a big high five.

But party leader now?

I'm not comparing their politics, their ethics, or even their intelligence when I say this, but somehow the "MEB for Leader" push immediately reminds me of "Palin for President".

 Comparing her to Palin, I've seen low politics, but that really low.

 Look up Palin's greatest hits some time.

Brachina

 Actual I tried that to make sure a porn parody didn't come up, its safe for work, just videos of stupid stuff she's said.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
Comparing her to Palin, I've seen low politics, but that really low.

Quote:
I'm not comparing their politics, their ethics, or even their intelligence when I say this

How could I make it any clearer to you?

Misfit Misfit's picture

I agree with Mr. Magoo.

Brachina

 Then there is nothing left to compare.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
Then there is nothing left to compare.

I'm comparing everyone else's reaction to the idea of each as leader, not the individuals themselves.

"Oh, she'd be great!  She'd bring new life to politics, she'd connect with the youth vote, she'd be a breath of fresh air after all these frumpy men in suits!!"

 

Brachina

 That's not my reaction at all, I'd never take such a misandrist position as to attack politicians for being male or wearing suits. I do get your point, but it changes nothing in my evalution of her possible leadership abilities.

scott16

I hope she runs for the leadership if there is a leadership convention.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/canadas-unlik...

Misfit Misfit's picture

You cannot have four years of experience in politics and expect to be a leader of a national political party. There are many different issues and a leader needs a thorough understanding of all the complexities of every one of them. It is impossible for her to command that level depth at this time. This is what some of us are vocally critical of Junior about. The same argument applies to REB.

Misfit Misfit's picture

DP

Misfit Misfit's picture

DP

lagatta

She wears suits now too; it is simply part of the job.

Obviously it depends on her.

terrytowel

Joe Cressy is a better candidate as he is part of NDP royalty with deep roots in the party.

lagatta

Is that what potential NDP voters want?

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

terrytowel wrote:

Joe Cressy is a better candidate as he is part of NDP royalty with deep roots in the party.

That's the second time you've said this. While Cressy may very well be a good and talented young man, the idea that he is "NDP royalty" is disgusting. If I believed the NDP were dynastic and aristocratic as you describe, I wouldn't have anything to do with it.

terrytowel

When I say 'royalty' I'm meaning he has deep roots in the party, and is steeped in its traditions, He knows the NDP party & what it stands for inside and out, That is what I mean, he grew up in the party.

lagatta

Here's a really interesting story about Ruth-Ellen Brosseau, from the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/27/world/americas/ruth-ellen-brosseau-can...

"An underdog's tale worthy of a Frank Capra movie"...

terrytowel

Former NDP president Adam Giambrone says MP experience is NOT ENOUGH to run for leadership of any political party. At very least you need cabinet experience either on the federal or provincial level to make a case why you should be leader of a party.

Sean in Ottawa

terrytowel wrote:

Former NDP president Adam Giambrone says MP experience is NOT ENOUGH to run for leadership of any political party. At very least you need cabinet experience either on the federal or provincial level to make a case why you should be leader of a party.

Do you have a link to the statement?

Obviously this does not make sense if he said it -- having cabinet seats means power. The NDP leadership cannot be limited to former provincial cabinet ministers. I don't have the context of this statement and I would like to see it.

terrytowel

Sean in Ottawa wrote:

terrytowel wrote:

Former NDP president Adam Giambrone says MP experience is NOT ENOUGH to run for leadership of any political party. At very least you need cabinet experience either on the federal or provincial level to make a case why you should be leader of a party.

Do you have a link to the statement?

Obviously this does not make sense if he said it -- having cabinet seats means power. The NDP leadership cannot be limited to former provincial cabinet ministers. I don't have the context of this statement and I would like to see it.

He said it in context to Justin Trudeau. Saying MP experience is not enough experience to run for party leader of any party.

Would you still like to see the link?

Notalib

Bizarrely the NDP would probably be better off with REB than Mulcair at this time.

That said, and as others pointed out here, if what is needed is a white wealthy male lawyer who has track record tackling governments the NDP should consider Rocco Galanti.

Just trying to keep with the spirit and level of the debate occurring here.

quizzical

the venue for the convention was set long before the election. i want to be a delegate.

terrytowel you have put the comment about Adam whomever in several threads now and several people have asked you for the link but you come back with "would you like to see a link" you're playing some sorta of game please don't.

terrytowel

quizzical wrote:

the venue for the convention was set long before the election. i want to be a delegate.

terrytowel you have put the comment about Adam whomever in several threads now and several people have asked you for the link but you come back with "would you like to see a link" you're playing some sorta of game please don't.

I just want to make sure everyone realzes that this was said in the context of Justin Trudeau only having MP experience when he sought the leadsership. Adam saying MP experience is not enough experinece to seek leadership of any party.

I want people to understand the context of Adam's words before putting the link up.

So do people understand? If yes then I'll put the link up.

quizzical

lmaooooooooooooooooo oh my

terrytowel

quizzical wrote:

lmaooooooooooooooooo oh my

All you had to say was yes I understand the context. But if no one is going to understand the context, then c'est la vie.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

What if you just post the link, and everyone can read the context for themselves.

Surely Giambrone didn't say whatever he said with the expectation that he would need your help communicating clearly.

Debater

Historically in Canada, provincial cabinet ministers rarely become federal leaders or Prime Ministers.

That was another factor working against Mulcair.

quizzical

historically?????? you really aren't going to bring up "historic" factors as being in any way shape or form pertinent? oh right you did...lol

Debater

Yeah, because history is never important and is always best to ignore, right?

mark_alfred
quizzical

Debater wrote:
Yeah, because history is never important and is always best to ignore, right?

if history were important when choosing a leader or the PM to you Liberals then Justin would not be where he is today!

so i find it totally hilarious spouting "history".

history is made not lived in in the future.....

Debater

quizzical, the point I was making above is simply this:  unlike in the United States where there is a strong history of people moving from the state to federal level (eg. Presidency), no such strong correlations exist in Canada.

Whereas the Governors of states frequently go on to become President, it is rare for a Premier to become a Prime Minister in Canada, and the track record for provincial cabinet ministers isn't great, either.

I will have to check the PM's going back to 1867, but I think it has only happened about once.

terrytowel

n/a

quizzical

i don't like any compares to the US we already have to many with this stupid leader PM fixation. so much so Sophie and Justin are behaving like they're freakin royalty only worse behaved.

and as i said history is replaced by other "histories'  someday it may be "ourstories" but at the moment it's still about da mens.

 

Sean in Ottawa

terrytowel wrote:

quizzical wrote:

the venue for the convention was set long before the election. i want to be a delegate.

terrytowel you have put the comment about Adam whomever in several threads now and several people have asked you for the link but you come back with "would you like to see a link" you're playing some sorta of game please don't.

I just want to make sure everyone realzes that this was said in the context of Justin Trudeau only having MP experience when he sought the leadsership. Adam saying MP experience is not enough experinece to seek leadership of any party.

I want people to understand the context of Adam's words before putting the link up.

So do people understand? If yes then I'll put the link up.

Uhuh. This is not what you said before. Now faced with a demand for the link you are retreating. I don't want another big long fight with you but you should back down on this no-win debate. You misrepresented what was said it seems or at least you are changin it dramatically. You did not say MP experience all that is required -- you did say cabinet experience was -- big -- very big  -- difference.

Sean in Ottawa

Debater wrote:

Historically in Canada, provincial cabinet ministers rarely become federal leaders or Prime Ministers.

That was another factor working against Mulcair.

Do a chart on the background of each and let us see if there are overwhelmingly better background choices. I am not sure that there are.

To say that this is against the person is also presuming that a disproportionate number try and fail compared to people from other backgrounds. I think that is likely not true. I can even speculate as to why:

There are three requirements needed:

1) Bilingualism: while you can get away without it, it is a major drawback. In most of Canada provincial cabinet ministers are not needed to be bilingual and many are not.

2) You need a national vision and advocating for one province as a cabinet minister is likely to at some point create a conflict with another province -- or at least a perception of favouritism.

3) You need a national rather than provincial profile and most cabinet ministers never get that. Premiers may but they really run into trouble on item 2.

In Mulcair's case I don't think this was a huge factor although in some places it may not have helped. However, Mulcair lost more seats and votes in his home province than elsewhere so it does not look like this was the biggest problem.

I think the biggest reason why provincial ministers don't make the leap is that it is easier to go from cabinet to premier than go to the feds to be PM. If you can't get to Premier then you really have litle chance going to PM. And if you become Premier, and are successful then you are more likely not to want to give up the job to go federal and if things don't work out, your chanceof going federal is very poor.

I think the biggest reason is a lack of desire to risk that leap when you are already more likely to make it work in your province.

 

terrytowel

Sean in Ottawa wrote:

Uhuh. This is not what you said before. Now faced with a demand for the link you are retreating. I don't want another big long fight with you but you should back down on this no-win debate. You misrepresented what was said it seems or at least you are changin it dramatically. You did not say MP experience all that is required -- you did say cabinet experience was -- big -- very big  -- difference.

It was because of the fight we previously had that made me reluctant to post the link.

But since you are demanding it, judge for yourself

Adam Giambrone says being an MP is not enough experience to run for leader.

"You should become the MP, build up alot of years experience AND/OR have been the minister or something provincial or federal government."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw1a56OsIFA

lagatta

For what it's worth, here is a tweet by Alexandre Boulerice at his website:

Alexandre Boulerice ‏@alexboulerice 19 janv.

Félicitations à @CharlieAngusNDP et @RE_Brosseau pour élections présidence et VP caucus #NPD. On continue! #polcan

  6 Retweets 1 j'aime

mark_alfred

lagatta wrote:

For what it's worth, here is a tweet by Alexandre Boulerice at his website:

Alexandre Boulerice ‏@alexboulerice 19 janv.

Félicitations à @CharlieAngusNDP et @RE_Brosseau pour élections présidence et VP caucus #NPD. On continue! #polcan

  6 Retweets 1 j'aime

Well, it could be argued that both Angus and Brosseau are working to raise their profiles for each of their inevitable runs at leadership after they successfully lobby enough riding association delegates to overthrow Mulcair.  Or, it could be argued that this is a sign that each of them are not disgruntled with the party and its leadership as it currently is, since they're volunteering to help out and participate more with the current structure rather than campaigning for change.  Guess we'll know in April.

Pages