Toronto the Violent

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
WilderMore
Toronto the Violent

Contemplating a trip to TO. Concerned about the recent gun violence in the city. Most guns were hand guns, not long guns, so assuming they weren't registered and/or stolen. That's why we need a firearms registry. And automatic sentences for anyone convicted of possessing an unregistered and/or stolen firearm.

 

Regions: 
Maysie Maysie's picture

Don't come. The city is mayhem, chaotic and out of control.

Don't worry though, soon Rob Ford will make everyone safe.

Caissa

Blessed be the Ford.

Maysie Maysie's picture

Can the mods please move this out of "canadian politics" before someone in the ROC complains about Toronto being the centre of the universe?

Caissa

Hey, it's a brave new world out there with Ford.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

Moved!

 

bagkitty bagkitty's picture

Maysie wrote:

Can the mods please move this out of "canadian politics" before someone in the ROC complains about Toronto being the centre of the universe?

I wonder who you might be referring to? (Those of us in the ROC don't actually think it is the centre of the universe, we think of it as a peculiar gravitic anomaly... where sound and light and television and radio signals can escape, but none can enter.... think of a black hole, but in reverse. [For the sake of convenience, let's refer to it as a "navel".])

"waves to Maysie*

Snert Snert's picture

Rehash of an old joke:  a guy starts chatting with the passenger next to him on a Greyhound bus.

"Where you headed?", he asks.

"Toronto", the other fellow replies, "I'll be moving there soon, so I thought I should check it out.  I hear it's violent and dangerous, with gangs ruling the streets and gunshots and sirens punctuating the night".

"It's nothing like that at all", the first guy says, "and I should know, I've lived there for twenty years".

"What do you do for a living?", asks the other fellow.

"Tail gunner on a bread truck."

Maysie Maysie's picture

I knew saying "ROC" would bring you out, bagkitty.

Tongue out

Anything to avoid the moronic topic of the OP, I tells ya.

*waves to bagkitty*

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

I was in Toronto just last month, WilderMore. I stayed mostly in the AGO and was only mugged once. AT THE ADMISSIONS COUNTER. Hey-o!

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Toronto feels safer than downtown Calgary after dark.  But then, a lot of places do.

Sineed

Snert wrote:

Rehash of an old joke:  a guy starts chatting with the passenger next to him on a Greyhound bus.

"Where you headed?", he asks.

On Greyhounds these days, I thought the standard inquiry was, "Where you be headed?"

 

Snert Snert's picture

I think that might have bought you a millenium in God's Penalty Box (and me, with a warning for laughing).

Malcolm Malcolm's picture

WilderMore wrote:

Contemplating a trip to TO. Concerned about the recent gun violence in the city. Most guns were hand guns, not long guns, so assuming they weren't registered and/or stolen. That's why we need a firearms registry. And automatic sentences for anyone convicted of possessing an unregistered and/or stolen firearm.

 

Handguns have been registered since the 1930s, so the more recent registry is irrelevant to this.

Maysie Maysie's picture

Damn you and your facts, Malcolm.

Speaking of facts, Wilder, better stay away from B.C.

Toronto is 9% below the national average crime rate, by the way. Ha ha ha ha.

Uncle John

If crime is going down, and the number of cops is going up, clearly we need more laws for them to enforce.

Slumberjack

Maysie wrote:
Don't come. The city is mayhem, chaotic and out of control.

Tourism Toronto gig?  Congrats.

MegB

Sineed wrote:

Snert wrote:

Rehash of an old joke:  a guy starts chatting with the passenger next to him on a Greyhound bus.

"Where you headed?", he asks.

On Greyhounds these days, I thought the standard inquiry was, "Where you be headed?"

Ha! So funny!  No, not too soon :)

RevolutionPlease RevolutionPlease's picture

Groan, don't feed the beast.

I hate typing everything twice.

Maysie Maysie's picture

Slumberjack wrote:

Tourism Toronto gig?  Congrats.

You saying my pitch needs work? Or something like that?

Cool

Todrick of Chat...

I was in Toronto last week, no issues at all even for this country bumpkin.

I walked a lot of the supposedly seedy areas of the city and did not even receive one dirty look from any of the locals.

I even had my picture taken with two bachelorette parties, but that is a whole another discussion.

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

I belonged to a rifle and revolver club in the 1980s, and anyone that owned a handgun needed a permit from the OPP just to carry a handgun from the house to the club and back to the house. I shot a lot of handguns belonging to club members, but never brought one for myself - just too much hassle getting carrying permits, so I can say that the rules around handguns are serving their purpose in discouraging ownership - at least back in the 1980s.

Lard Tunderin Jeezus Lard Tunderin Jeezus's picture

Todrick of Chatsworth wrote:

I even had my picture taken with two bachelorette parties, but that is a whole another discussion.

Forget the discussion, we need the pictures!

Maysie Maysie's picture

Todrick of Chatsworth wrote:
 I walked a lot of the supposedly seedy areas of the city and did not even receive one dirty look from any of the locals.

As a local, I'm so pleased. But if you wanna see rude, go to Union Station in rush hour. Those commuters from 905 are very pushy-shovey. Perhaps like your bachelorette experience. Only less friendly. 

edmundoconnor

And muggers at least have the decency to look you in the eye. That administrator from the 43rd floor rushing to catch their train won't even do that.

oldgoat

The really high crime areas are Bay Street, and also Forest Hill and Rosedale, at least to the extent these people do their taxes at home.

Todrick of Chat...

@ LTJ

I wish I had the pictures, it was an interesting experience.

@ Oldgoat and Maysie

I did manage to have some drinks with some high flyers from Bay Street. Not sure how I managed to get into their club but another wonderful experience in the big city.

Maysie Maysie's picture

Radio-Free Vestibule "I don't want to go to Toronto".

.... There's a tower in Toronto that controls people's minds!

 

Slumberjack

No need to go to Toronto for seedy when we can just hang out here.

Todrick of Chat...

I like my seedy, very seedy. This place is to polished for my likings.

Refuge Refuge's picture

The only major crime I saw in TO the last year or so was electing the Mayor......