Who uh, said this today?

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Noops
Who uh, said this today?

"We are not uh, going to uh, be implementing uh.."

[Hint, it was in parliament. ] :)

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

"Uh" is a lazy and reflexive and meaningless utterance that all public speakers should seek to avoid.

But what was the rest of what they said?  I can't exactly discount it, holus-bolus, just because they didn't remember to not say "uh".

As a total aside, here's a tip from someone whose job is to speak in front of others:  when you're not certain what to say next, or when you can't find a word, or when you suddenly realize that you're standing at the front looking out at a sea of people sitting, just pause. 

A pause looks like you're reflecting.  A pause lets your audience digest, and reflect for themselves.  Saying "um" or "uh" looks like you've lost the map.  It's an easy habit to learn, if speaking to others is in your wheelhouse.

Noops

Mr. Magoo wrote:
But what was the rest of what they said?  I can't exactly discount it, holus-bolus, just because they didn't remember to not say "uh".

Here's a little more:

"Uh, we are not uh, going to be uh, raising taxes uh, on the middle class uh, through uh, uh, uh, an internet uh broadband tax, that is not an idea uh, that we are taking on..."

Quote:
As a total aside, here's a tip from someone whose job is to speak in front of others:  when you're not certain what to say next, or when you can't find a word, or when you suddenly realize that you're standing at the front looking out at a sea of people sitting, just pause.
A pause looks like you're reflecting.  A pause lets your audience digest, and reflect for themselves.  Saying "um" or "uh" looks like you've lost the map.  It's an easy habit to learn, if speaking to others is in your wheelhouse.

It looks like this chap honed this "pause" tip to perfection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA4AmhTqWOU&feature=youtu.be

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Okay.  But it's not clear what you're opposing, here.

The unfortunate use of "uh" in place of a musical "rest"?  Or the unwillingness of the government of the day to tax internet service on the grounds that it "could be" used to stream some TV show that hasn't paid its "fair share" of Canadian taxes.

Noops

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Okay.  But it's not clear what you're opposing, here.

The unfortunate use of "uh" in place of a musical "rest"?  Or the unwillingness of the government of the day to tax internet service on the grounds that it "could be" used to stream some TV show that hasn't paid its "fair share" of Canadian taxes.

I'm not opposing anything here.

I'm simply pointing out how lucky we are to have such an eloquent Prime Minister.  :)

Aristotleded24

Noops wrote:
I'm not opposing anything here.I'm simply pointing out how lucky we are to have such an eloquent Prime Minister.  :)

What this thread is, without any direct links to what exactly he said or any context whatsoever, is trolling. If there's a point that you're trying to make, please let us know and we'll be happy to engage.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Really uh petty uh thread

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

I am pretty sure it is more Canadian to say er not uh. What do you think, eh?

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

I hear MANY politicians (and people in general)  say 'uh' at times while speaking.It doesn't make you stupid. What a bullshit thread. What next? Calling him poopy head?

As for 'eh' that's pretty English Canada. It's 'HUH' that is American.

Basement Dweller

You'd think Justin could afford a speech therapist. It's a pretty easy problem to fix, even without one.

Noops

Aristotleded24 wrote:

What this thread is, without any direct links to what exactly he said or any context whatsoever, is trolling. If there's a point that you're trying to make, please let us know and we'll be happy to engage.

Had to do a bit of searching for this one. I first heard it on the radio a couple of days ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/web-streaming-tax-proposal-commons-committee-1.4161645

Scroll down to the 47 second video.
He does OK for his prepared speech, but when he has to improvise, that's when uh, he uh, starts to get uh, tongue tied. Eh? :)

Cody87

Wow, a little bit of political humour at Trudeau's expense has people way angrier than I would have expected, and Pondering isn't even here (yet?). At least kropotkin1951 has a sense of humour.

How is this thread trolling? When did Noops say that Trudeau was stupid, or saying "uh" made someone stupid? Is alan "Donnie Drumpf" smithee really calling someone out for being "petty"? And what IS the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? Answers to these questions and more, right after the break!

For what it's worth, Noops, I, uh, enjoyed the, uh, light-hearted, uh, distraction from the, uh, political debates that, uh, are always so, uh, serious. It's nice to have a chuckle at the, uh, foibles of our "betters."

In case some here want to assume that I'm just being a jerk and trying to get in on making fun of Trudeau, a bit of personal history. I used to say "um" a lot when I paused while speaking. As a straight-A student utterly unaccustomed to academic criticism, a teacher in grade 12 failed a presentation I did, and I'll never forget what he said after class - "even though the content was there, the presentation of the information was very poor because when you say 'um' so often it becomes such a distraction that it becomes hard to focus on anything you're saying except when you're going to say 'um' next. There's nothing wrong with taking a pause, but work on avoiding filling that pause with filler." It's often said that people learn from their failures, not their successes, and for me in this case it couldn't be more true. In hindsight, this is probably related to why I am more quick to be critical of those I respect or want to succeed. If someone I have a low opinion of is making a mistake, I usually just let them keep making the mistake.

Anyway, the point is, Trudeau should understand that rightly or wrongly, his message is less effective when his delivery is less effective. Teasing him about his failure to adequately address the issue is completely fair game and, I would argue, kinder than saying nothing and pretending there is no problem.

Rev Pesky

Commenting on the way someone speaks, as opposed to what they are saying, is the equivalent of pointing out spelling errors on posts. 

Basement Dweller

If the Prime Minister was writing posts full of spelling mistakes, I'd be commenting on that too.

Rev Pesky

Basement Dweller wrote:

If the Prime Minister was writing posts full of spelling mistakes, I'd be commenting on that too.

Yeah. And it would be just as dumb.

Noops

Cody87 wrote:

Wow, a little bit of political humour at Trudeau's expense has people way angrier than I would have expected,...

...Anyway, the point is, Trudeau should understand that rightly or wrongly, his message is less effective when his delivery is less effective. Teasing him about his failure to adequately address the issue is completely fair game and, I would argue, kinder than saying nothing and pretending there is no problem.

Thanks for joining in the discussion Cody.
It's good to see someone else 'got it'.
Nice touch adding your personal story in combatting this dreadful affliction.  :)

Basement Dweller

Wasn't Justin a drama teacher? I never took drama, but I'd imagine one thing you'd learn is how to think on your feet and improvise without sounding confused.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Cody87 wrote:

 Is alan "Donnie Drumpf" smithee really calling someone out for being "petty"? And what IS the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? Answers to these questions and more, right after the break!problem.

You know wjhat Cody..This will probably get me banned but the 'Donnie Drumpf' shit is very offensive.Incredibly offensive actually.

Go fuck yourself with a dull knife,motherfucker.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

BTW, how does one flag someone here these days. I've been personally attacked,it provoked me to a rage but dimes to donuts,I know I will get banned instead.

This place is not for progressive discussion. It's for petulant pissants who are just part of a club for people who think they are so special and intelligent.

One more time,FUCK YOU,Cody. You'd be eating my fist if you had said that to my face. No fucking around,I'm serious.

So fucking ban me and further alienate progressives. Spinning your wheels going nowhere.

voice of the damned

Ahem. 

Well, I'll just say that I agree ripping into Trudeau for saying "umm" too much is a little petty, though no moreso than, say, making fun of Harper for waering a tight vest at the Stampede. 

Granted, I can't recall if a lot of people here were jumping on that particular photographic bandwagon. I think maybe it got used to accompany an article or two? 

 

 

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

One more thing. If you can't see why I'm so pissed off and violently angry by Chodey's dickwad comment , then there's no hope for any of you.

Aristotleded24

alan smithee wrote:
This place is not for progressive discussion. It's for petulant pissants who are just part of a club for people who think they are so special and intelligent.

One more time,FUCK YOU,Cody. You'd be eating my fist if you had said that to my face. No fucking around,I'm serious.

Since when is violence that is either carried out, threatened, or implied, progressive?

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Aristotleded24 wrote:
alan smithee wrote:

BTW, how does one flag someone here these days. I've been personally attacked,it provoked me to a rage but dimes to donuts,I know I will get banned instead.

This place is not for progressive discussion. It's for petulant pissants who are just part of a club for people who think they are so special and intelligent.

One more time,FUCK YOU,Cody. You'd be eating my fist if you had said that to my face. No fucking around,I'm serious.

So fucking ban me and further alienate progressives. Spinning your wheels going nowhere.

Why just quote one of my comments without making clear why you're quoting me?

Offended that someone poked the bear and I had a violent reaction?

As I said,I'll probably get banned. But this Conservative troll will get a slap on the wrist.

Associating me with that orange fascist buffon who now leads the world power was a huge insult and personal attack.

But no one will recognize that. So the leftist gets banned and the Conservative gets a pat on the back.

Sorry if I am a person that believes in direct action. A lefty that cannot be bullied because I'm not a pacifist.

You know,we will never ( we as progressives) form a government or gain any power politically because unlike the Right,the Left is eating itself. And it's beeen going on for decades now.

We're on the same team. Chodey isn't. What he said is unacceptable. My reaction was of pure rage.

How would you react if someone compared you to Duterte or Mussolini or Hitler? Can you answer that question,A24?

And it's very unproductive to alienate those on your team in favour for someone who isn't. Where is it going to get you? Nowhere just like it's been for 35 years.

Chodey is a Conservative troll and he landed a vicious personal attack on me. How do you expect me to react? As I said,I'm not a pacifist. I'm against war but I'm not against defending myself with words or physically.

He worked me up so much I couldn't find words to attack him back. I was irate,extremely angry.

I didn't mean to break babble policy. If I could I would have just flagged him and move on. I see no option to do so since the site was changed. So I blew up and mentioned the inconvenient truth of how I'd take care of Chodey if he dared say such a thing to my face.

I apologize to fellow leftists. I went too far. But I'll be damned to take shit from a Conservative troll like Chodey.

Sorry.

voice of the damned

Smithee wrote:

Associating me with that orange fascist buffon who now leads the world power was a huge insult and personal attack.

I don't think he was calling you "Donnie Drumpf". He was saying that your usage of that epithet to describe Trump was as petty as you were saying the OP was. If you had clicked on the hyperlink, you would have seen it goes to a thread where you used that name against Trump. 

So, basically, you called someone  petty, and Cody replied that, no, you are the petty one. It's a garden-variety tu quoque: not the most elevated form of debate, but certainly well within the bounds of what's considered proper decorum around here. I daresay there are quite a few posters here who have had that particular tactic used against them over the years. 

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

voice of the damned wrote:

Smithee wrote:

 

 

I'm petty? You're deluded.  He targeted me (as he always does) a personal attack.

But that's fine, stand with the Conservative.

As I alluded. This place is just one little clique of people who believe their opinions are superior to everyone else's.Like a contest of who is the most purest progressive. There is no rule book. Nobody is going to agree with everyone,we all have different opinions but we're still progressives. Get your head out of your ass.

Whether you like it or not I'm a huge Lefty and I'd never stand with a Conservative. Especially a trouble makiung one.

Chodey can still go fuck himself. But with anything he chooses.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Why aren't progressive ideas implented by the government? Why can't the NDP form a government? Etc..etc..It's people like you VOD who should take the blame.

The Left is deeply divided,no solidarity at all. So what we're stuck with in Ottawa is as good as it gets.

The Right is united and organized. The Left is one hot mess. Progressive change? It's not happening,don't look for it, the current ruling party is as good as it will ever get. And people like you,VOD that are the problem and  are to blame...dare I say people like you are the cancer that is decaying the Left. In fact there is no Left. Just a bunch of jokers who do nothing but bitch and are WAY too sympathetic to right wing clowns like Chodey.

Keep spinning your wheels. You're going nowhere. Not until we UNITE. And the likes of you make that impossible.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
Why can't the NDP form a government? Etc..etc..It's people like you VOD who should take the blame.

...

dare I say people like you are the cancer that is decaying the Left.

Really?

The left is on the ropes all over the world, and it's all VOTD's fault because he clarified what he thought some other poster meant?

I wonder if that sort of attitude might also be why the left is in disarray.

Anyway, if you really need closure on this, Meg has let it be known that the best way to alert her to a problem is just by messaging her.

 

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Quote:
Why can't the NDP form a government? Etc..etc..It's people like you VOD who should take the blame.

...

dare I say people like you are the cancer that is decaying the Left.

Really?

The left is on the ropes all over the world, and it's all VOTD's fault because he clarified what he thought some other poster meant?

I wonder if that sort of attitude might also be why the left is in disarray.

Anyway, if you really need closure on this, Meg has let it be known that the best way to alert her to a problem is just by messaging her.

 

You got it wrong. It's preposterous to blame the global sickness of Conservatism on one individual,especially one without any political power.. But I was hinting that people like VOD are to blame for this left wing disaray.

We should be untited. Stop putting each other into groups and sub groups and stop attacking each other. People like C hodey belong on the Breitbart message board and I don't think any of us on the Left shoulfd make anyone on the Right feel comfortable here. Why? Try to have a discussion with someone on a right wing board. You'd be attacked incessantly. And you know that Magoo,at least I'd hope you would.

A right winger takes a swing at me and I'm supposed to accept it? Please.

All asnyone seems to do is argue and belittle each other. You may not realize it but I read enough posts here to know that's the case.

Solidarity...my ass. And as long as that keeps up no political policies will change to the advantage or convenience of the Left.

You think Canada is bad? Look at our neighbours to the South. They are so right wing they are now governed by a fascist dictator and a political party straight out of a horror show. They are lunatics in a 300 000 000 capacity emergency ward at a mental institutuion.

Why is that? Because the Left has been annhilated in that country. And what little is left of it,it's so fractured they will continue to be a war mongering oligarchy for at least the rest of my life...Probably a lot longer than that.

Scuse me if I get offended when someone associates me with Trump. I regret nothing I've said in public about that bastard and his party of fuckin' pricks and nothing that I've said in private that I wouldn't say or post in a public forum because I'd most likely be arrested. I don't care.

But when it comes to caring, the left doesn't give a shit. No unity,no solidarity,no organization and no respect. Hence,welcome to the new machine,mate. I can only hope for revolution one day in the future and who knows how long into it it will happen.

And there has never in the history of man been a revolution without blood and violence. Again.you're smart enough to know that,Magoo.

I don't believe I should be banned. Or shall we suppress the truth. And that's what you get from me,Magoo. Never lied a syllable for all the time I've been here. Even if it gets me in trouble.

 

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
Again.you're smart enough to know that,Magoo.

No need to patronize me, Alan.  But this "blood" is just friendly fire.

Cody was only pointing out -- reasonably -- your own pettiness with regard to "Donnie Drumpf".

And VOTD, one degree removed, was only pointing out that Cody was pointing out your need to refer to Trump as "Donnie Drumpf".

If it helps, nobody in this thread has suggested you're like, or that you like, Donald Trump.

Quote:
I don't believe I should be banned. Or shall we suppress the truth.

Well, I've no say in the matter.  But if you're banned, or suspended, please at least don't spend the time thinking you were silenced because the Left couldn't accept your terrible truths.  If babble ever expects you to LIKE Donald Trump, I'll leave along with probably everyone else.  This is just a matter of conduct, Alan, and you can't avoid it by saying "Oh, but I only violated the AUP to shut the mouth of some rightie!!".   Fortunately, babble doesn't make such exceptions.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Quote:
Again.you're smart enough to know that,Magoo.

No need to patronize me, Alan.  But this "blood" is just friendly fire.

Cody was only pointing out -- reasonably -- your own pettiness with regard to "Donnie Drumpf".

And VOTD, one degree removed, was only pointing out that Cody was pointing out your need to refer to Trump as "Donnie Drumpf".

If it helps, nobody in this thread has suggested you're like, or that you like, Donald Trump.

Quote:
I don't believe I should be banned. Or shall we suppress the truth.

Well, I've no say in the matter.  But if you're banned, or suspended, please at least don't spend the time thinking you were silenced because the Left couldn't accept your terrible truths.  If babble ever expects you to LIKE Donald Trump, I'll leave along with probably everyone else.  This is just a matter of conduct, Alan, and you can't avoid it by saying "Oh, but I only violated the AUP to shut the mouth of some rightie!!".   Fortunately, babble doesn't make such exceptions.

Well,that's reasonable. As for Chodey,he always targets me. He's a provocateur, at least against me. I blew up. Having said that,besides my suggestion that he fuck himself with a utensil,expressing what he'd be in store for if he poked at me in person was simple honesty. I only hope Babble is reasonable and respects my unrelenting blunt yet persistant honesty that I have not waivered from in the 7 years I've been here.

Let the chips fall where they may,I suppose.

Anyway,I said everything I wanted to say. So enough with the thread drift.

 

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Quote:
Again.you're smart enough to know that,Magoo.

No need to patronize me, Alan.  But this "blood" is just friendly fire.

Cody was only pointing out -- reasonably -- your own pettiness with regard to "Donnie Drumpf".

 

 

I over looked something. First off,I was calling Trump Donald Drumpf during the campaign. Something that obviously hurt Chodey's feelings.

I have not mentioned that name in almost half a year.

Now I just refer to him as Fuckface. And if that also hurts Chodey's feelings,well cry me a river,snowflake.

Cody87

alan smithee wrote:

We should be untited. Stop putting each other into groups and sub groups and stop attacking each other.

Follow your own advice. Not for my sake.

Quote:
I don't believe I should be banned.

Neither do I.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Cody87 wrote:

alan smithee wrote:

We should be untited. Stop putting each other into groups and sub groups and stop attacking each other.

Follow your own advice. Not for my sake.

Quote:
I don't believe I should be banned.

Neither do I.

Peace,Cody. I'm too old to brawl. I saw a name and freaked out.

Revolution may be violent and bloody but a message board discussion shouldn't be.

I very much regret saying you should stuff yourself with a utensil. And I apologize for having a hair line temper.

Sometimes I believe in physical violence but there is always a time and place for that and it doesn't belong on an internet forum. Especially one that is populated with pacifists.

I regret what I said,I regret my reaction. I hope the mods will consider that.

MegB

alan smithee wrote:

Go fuck yourself with a dull knife,motherfucker.

Well, it's not enough to get you banned, but you've earned a 48 hour suspension. Maybe you could use that time to ponder why you unload your anger issues on others.

6079_Smith_W

This reminds me again of how recently it is that politicians had to have this skill of thinking on their feet.  Back in the day John Macdonald was able to throw up at the podium.

That is, only since the gotcha age of TV. Actually more recent, since reporters had close, unscripted access. Which raises the question of what it has at all to do with the important job of running a government. Answer: nothing.

Kind of amazing when you set it next to FDR's predicament of having to not let anyone know that he was in a wheelchair. Though the fact that he had to go through the theatre of standing up at a podium, is a good comparison to the big deal made of these verbal space-fillers. I'd much rather deal with someone who I know is taking the time to think, rather than someone who just blathers without any consideration.

voice of the damned

^ And when you think about it, "uhh" is no different than "well" placed at the beginning of a reply(eg. "Well, I don't know about that"), in that it's more often than not a meaningless interjection, just meant to buy a little time before proceeding with the rest of your statement.

But, probably because it has a more "set" usage(ie. always at the beginning of the statement or clause, rather than randomly inserted), it doesn't attract the same degree of opprobruim as does "uhh".

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Well, I say well a lot -- not in real life speech, but here, anyway -- and now I'm self-conscious about it and it's all your fault.

But FWIW, this is what editors do.  Cross out "Well," with their red pen and add in the margin "just say what you're going to say".

I'll say again, though:  "um" is an easy enough habit to break.  You don't need to learn something new, you just need to UN-learn the fear of being silent for a short moment.  In the world of radio, silence is known as "dead air" and should be avoided because radio listeners can't tell the difference between a short pause and a technical difficulty, but in the real world it only makes you look smart, and ironically, maybe even MORE confident.

Rev Pesky

Well, (sorry, Magoo), the important thing to remember is that saying 'well, 'uhh', 'umm', or dancing around while holding you right ear-lobe with your left hand has nothing at all to do with the value you have as a legislator. You should be judged by the content of your bills.

And as far as that goes, the number of people who could pass the 'umm' test would be a tiny percentage of the population. For most of those it isn't noticed because it isn't recorded for posterity.

Also by the way, saying 'umm' or such-like while speaking with someone has a purpose. That is, people have a tendency to start talking themselves if there is a 'break' in the conversation. If you want to continue on speaking you have to fill up the space with sound. At the same time, 'umm' or 'uhh' allows the listener to absorb what they've been told.

So, contrary to popular belief, those 'space-fillers' do more than allow the speaker time to think, and are a completely normal part of conversation. 

I'll just add that as a musician, I've made many small (and some not so small!!) errors on stage. For the most part they are forgiven because they disappear into the past. It's when you're in the studio, recording your masterpiece that those errors become huge, because you have to listen to them over and over again.

That is not dissimilar to what we're talking about here. If speech wasn't recorded, no one would likely notice those pauses. But recording them, and then playing them over and over again makes them a lot more noticeable.

 

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
Well, (sorry, Magoo), the important thing to remember is that saying 'well, 'uhh', 'umm', or dancing around while holding you right ear-lobe with your left hand has nothing at all to do with the value you have as a legislator. You should be judged by the content of your bills.

OK.  But if they're just "legislators" then why do we want them anywhere near a microphone?  Shouldn't they be off legislating?

Quote:
If you want to continue on speaking you have to fill up the space with sound.

I disagree.  If you want to continue speaking you need to still be the one behind the podium.

But I think we're in violent agreement with regard to the importance of all of this.  Post #2 should clarify my opinion on that -- specifically, that whatever else he was saying aside from some regrettable "ums" should be the real story.

I wonder, though:  were any of (say) Martin Luther King's speeches recorded?  Or any of (say) Tommy Douglas'?  And did they um and er?  Maybe they did and I'll be eating crow until Canada Day if someone posts those YouTubes.

And now I also wonder:  what would we make of a public speaker who filled blank gaps by saying "Duh-duh-dee-dee-dee"?  I think we'd say "WTF?", as though that somehow is LESS meaningful (or less of a pause) than saying "Ummmm".

 

Rev Pesky

From a long ago bar washroom wall:

To do is to be - Friedrich Nietzsche

To be is to do - Henri Poincaré

Dooby dooby do - Frank Sinatra

Don't ask me what brought that to memory. May just be a bit too early in the day for me. But yes, we certainly agree on the overall importance of, umm, this, uhh, issue.

6079_Smith_W

How about Fuddle duddle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKSGRyZtz8

Or maybe it just shows the difference between lawyers and school teachers.

voice of the damned

Rev Pesky wrote:

From a long ago bar washroom wall:

To do is to be - Friedrich Nietzsche

To be is to do - Henri Poincaré

Dooby dooby do - Frank Sinatra

Don't ask me what brought that to memory. May just be a bit too early in the day for me. But yes, we certainly agree on the overall importance of, umm, this, uhh, issue.

 

I know that from a Trivial Pursuit question(the Baby Boomer edition, where the questions weren't really about eliciting hard facts, but just an excuse for the writers to demonstrate their knowledge of postwar anecdotes.) "To be is to do" was atrributed to Descartes, and "To do is to be" was attributed to Sartre, if I recall correctly.  (The latter one sort of fit's Sartre's thinking, though I suspect these quotes are all apocryphal). 

voice of the damned

Mr. Magoo wrote:

 

I wonder, though:  were any of (say) Martin Luther King's speeches recorded?  Or any of (say) Tommy Douglas'?  And did they um and er?  Maybe they did and I'll be eating crow until Canada Day if someone posts those YouTubes.

 

 

 

From the Merv Griffin Show... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBPIyqCbZl0

I counted four "uhhs" in the first minute of King's answer to the Vietnam question. Granted, this wasn't technically a speech, but then, it's probably a better example of a situation where people do say "uhh" a lot, since he's likely speaking more off-the-cuff here. 

 

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

6079_Smith_W wrote:

How about Fuddle duddle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKSGRyZtz8

Or maybe it just shows the difference between lawyers and school teachers.

Seriously? Smearing teachers? And what do YOU do in life.may I ask?

6079_Smith_W

Oh FFS.

Trudeau senior was a lawyer. Trudeau junior was a school teacher. As was my father, in case you think I am too disrespectful. And do I need to spell out that I was making light of what really should be a light thread?

Chill man.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Fair enough. But ro be serious,very briefly,I'd rather our government be made up of teachers,social workers and activists than lawyers and businessmen.

Government is not supposed to be run like a business. I wish more school teachers,social workers and activists become the only candidates for Members of Parliament.

Anyway,I'll take a pill and relax. Carry on.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
Government is not supposed to be run like a business.

"Bridge restoration budget balloons from $1.1 million to $3.8 million"

Rev Pesky

From voice of the damned:

I know that from a Trivial Pursuit question(the Baby Boomer edition, where the questions weren't really about eliciting hard facts, but just an excuse for the writers to demonstrate their knowledge of postwar anecdotes.) "To be is to do" was atrributed to Descartes, and "To do is to be" was attributed to Sartre, if I recall correctly.  (The latter one sort of fit's Sartre's thinking, though I suspect these quotes are all apocryphal). 

I wasn't joking when I said I saw it on the wall of a urinal in a hotel bar. That would have been between 45 and 50 years ago in the Chieftain Hotel in Squamish, BC.

Because of that I assumed the named philosophers were immaterial. 

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Quote:
Government is not supposed to be run like a business.

"Bridge restoration budget balloons from $1.1 million to $3.8 million"

Employees (accountants,lawyers,financial advisors) yes. Legislators no.

voice of the damned

Rev Pesky wrote:

From voice of the damned:

I know that from a Trivial Pursuit question(the Baby Boomer edition, where the questions weren't really about eliciting hard facts, but just an excuse for the writers to demonstrate their knowledge of postwar anecdotes.) "To be is to do" was atrributed to Descartes, and "To do is to be" was attributed to Sartre, if I recall correctly.  (The latter one sort of fit's Sartre's thinking, though I suspect these quotes are all apocryphal). 

I wasn't joking when I said I saw it on the wall of a urinal in a hotel bar. That would have been between 45 and 50 years ago in the Chieftain Hotel in Squamish, BC.

Because of that I assumed the named philosophers were immaterial. 

Oh, sure. I wasn't meaning to correct you at all. I was just kind of runinating on how the details of the joke had varied over time and place.

And yes, Trivial Pursuit said it was a piece of graffiti as well.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
Employees (accountants,lawyers,financial advisors) yes. Legislators no.

Fair enough.  And I'm not trying to reverse the effect of that pill.

But why, then, when the bridge budget triples, is it the legislator we blame??

Pages