Youth Vote

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
RevolutionPlease RevolutionPlease's picture
Youth Vote

[url=http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/969731--is-kicking-y... kicking youth out the best way to keep them in?[/url]

 

Quote:

"It was a democratic exercise that they should have been proud of because there were so many potential voters in that crowd that may have voted for them," Hirji said of Monday's so-called "vote mob," where political slogans, signs and negative messaging were forbidden in an effort to keep the event non-partisan.

"Instead they are now turning away," said Hirji.

There is much hand-wringing over the lack of involvement - and basic interest - from young people in Canadian democracy, even when it comes to something as straightforward and simple as casting a ballot in an election.

Yet everyone remains after the elusive youth. Political parties try to court their vote. Political scientists try to understand why they are so difficult to reach. Media try to tailor stories to young voters. Activists run mock elections and hold rock concerts to encourage greater participation.

 

...

 

"Students feel like it is a toxic environment and politicians just lie and bicker all the time and control the events - like to control the media that they get and what not - and the real message we're trying to get across is we have the power to change this," he added.

 

I posted this topic hoping to hear more from some youth that might want to speak up. We need to hear from you.

Issues Pages: 
Catchfire Catchfire's picture

I'm starting to pick up on a troubling narrative--one that's making inroads into Antonia Zerbisias's prolific facebook threads--which is blaming youth apathy for the Conservative government. The implied gist is: obviously youth would be better served by a non-Conservative government, and would have voted in a Liberal minority last election if they had voted, but because they don't care (are apathetic, are lazy, etc.) we (i.e. the concerned adult citizens) are stuck with the Cons. Even Rick Mercer is getting in on the act.

What's missing from this blame game, of course, is the fact that no government has ever been a friend to young people, even the ones they voted in. We only have to look at ever-rising student debt and tuition, environmental policy, and youth unemployment to answer why young people are disenchanted with politics.

Vansterdam Kid

Your last sentence is bang on. While I find my generation's complete disengagement from politics to the point where they don't even vote annoying and somewhat pathetic, since it doesn't require a lot of effort to vote. I look at that as a political junky, so for the averge person who doesn't have as much of an interest in politics, this isn't surprising.

Frankly, if we're going to be playing generational warfare and 'blame the generations' game, I'd consider the Boomers the most ridiculous generation in the history of the planet. They basically got to reap the benefits of the work that the 'silent' and 'greatest' generations did, with an unmatched level of prosperity that provided them with cheap energy, relatively secure jobs, the ability to access an affordable housing market and affordable education, then they complain about how entitled their own kids are. Well hello geniuses, you raised us! The only difference is that we don't get all the the benefits you did. And why do you wonder why we're bitter little shits who play "30 is the new 20" game? (Physically and mentally it's not true, but if you're 40K in debt at the age of 23 with only a Bachelor's Degree it's no wonder you still live at home!)

When I got my first full time entry-level "big boy" job, it was nearly impossible to get it in the first place, which I attribute somewhat to my age, as I had about five years experience in a similar-ish part-time job, an eduation and a lot of volunteer experience. All of this could easily be spun as being qualified so frankly I don't think it should've taken as long for me to get that job as I did. I know it was due to age because I was told a couple times that I did really well in the interview, and they liked my resume, but that they had to go with the other applicant because they had "more experience" (as if I was applying to be a Brain Surgeon or something). I've heard some people complain about discrimination in the job market when it comes to older workers, the same can easily be said about Millennials.

youngsocialist

Everyone who's voting is either voting green or liberal. Most are not voting.

Unionist

I think this is the right opportunity to note that since Françoise David is taking a few months off to do some writing, Québec solidaire has a new co-spokesperson alongside Amir Khadir. Her name is Émilie Guimond-Bélanger, and she is 22 years old. [url=http://www.aufil.ulaval.ca/articles/une-femme-parti-32700.html]Read about her here.[/url] She says:

Quote:
"I want to work against social inequality and I will never stop fighting to promote the rights of those who are victims of injustice."

She was one of many Quebeckers arrested for no reason by the fascist pigs during the G20 and detained for 60 hours - I posted a video press conference of hers at the time (will try to find it again).

Those who suggest that today's youth are "apathetic" should really go get a life somewhere. I have never seen a generation with such knowledge and wisdom and passion - and I've seen a few.

ETA: [url=http://www.quebecsolidaire.net/actualite-nationale/representante-de-queb... is the article and the video.[/url]

 

Unionist

Probably not the right thread, but need to post this somewhere:

[url=http://www.arcadefire.com/blog/hey-canadians/]Arcade Fire says get out and vote - against Harper[/url]

Quote:

It is about to be voting time. Our current leader has championed some pretty destructive initiatives on everyone’s behalf… it’s really important to get out and vote on May 2nd.

If you’re out of the country you can still vote, just go here:

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=vot&dir=reg/svr&document=index&lang=e

For anyone unfamiliar with Mr. Harper’s work, do have a look… http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2007/01/30/harper-kyoto.html

http://www.lucbourgeoisphoto.org/tarsands.html

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/david_vassey

Canada is still a pretty good country, and worth fighting for…

xo Richard

Sorry for posting the entire blog entry, but CBC is [url=http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/04/08/cv-arcade-fire.h... reporting[/url] that the entry was removed this evening - so I'd better preserve it in case that comes true.

 

wage zombie

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

I agree, the site is great. Clean, funny and too the point. And the videos are great ("Ryan Gosling does not endorse", etc.). But for some reason, Unionist, your image is taking ages to load. 

Unionist

This is the best negative advertising I've seen yet - and from what I see, young people love it:

[url=http://shitharperdid.ca.nyud.net/]Shit Harper Did[/url]

Equally good - or even better - are their videos (linked from the site but not obvious):

http://www.youtube.com/user/ShitHarperDid

Unionist

Catchfire wrote:

But for some reason, Unionist, your image is taking ages to load. 

Made it smaller... It was a pretty hi-res graphic.

[url=http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/2011/04/13/17986421.html]Here's an article[/url] about the website:

Quote:

Two million eyes, one million laughs – all at Stephen Harper’s expense.

A hilarious website with video spoofs, featuring the hardened Conservative warrior wearing a fuzzy sweater and snuggling an adorable kitten, launched and crashed Wednesday within hours due to overwhelming popularity.

The incongruous image – originally a photograph arguably crafted with keen attention to political optics – served as inspiration for a crew of Vancouver comedians and digital artists who launched www.shitharperdid.com that reached the viral milestone of one million hits.

“It was a half-cooked way to become relatable to this entire nation,” said site programmer Cam Coles, a new Vancouverite whose parents live in Harper’s Calgary riding. “It was just so crazy to see this photo (of Harper snuggling a kitten). We figured we would draw that thing and stick it up.”

[...]

The barbs spread like wildfire on social networking sites generating 14,000 Facebook ‘likes’ in a span of eight hours.

For Coles and his creative partner, Sean Devlin, the website serves as a counter to Harper’s own foray into the online world, which includes a staged duet with a young Winnipeg girl whose Lady Gaga tribute video attracted more than 29 million views.

“It freaks me out,” Devlin said of the YoutTube video “These young people can’t vote but somehow it’s acceptable to use them for political gain.”

Coles claims he’s non-partisan and an undecided voter while Devlin admits he once held membership for the NDP.

bekayne
Catchfire Catchfire's picture
remind remind's picture

+++The POS Harper CONs are unbelievable in this action, I hope charges are launched against them.

ygtbk

Unionist wrote:

Catchfire wrote:

But for some reason, Unionist, your image is taking ages to load. 

Made it smaller... It was a pretty hi-res graphic.

[url=http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/2011/04/13/17986421.html]Here's an article[/url] about the website:

Quote:

Two million eyes, one million laughs – all at Stephen Harper’s expense.

A hilarious website with video spoofs, featuring the hardened Conservative warrior wearing a fuzzy sweater and snuggling an adorable kitten, launched and crashed Wednesday within hours due to overwhelming popularity.

The incongruous image – originally a photograph arguably crafted with keen attention to political optics – served as inspiration for a crew of Vancouver comedians and digital artists who launched www.shitharperdid.com that reached the viral milestone of one million hits.

“It was a half-cooked way to become relatable to this entire nation,” said site programmer Cam Coles, a new Vancouverite whose parents live in Harper’s Calgary riding. “It was just so crazy to see this photo (of Harper snuggling a kitten). We figured we would draw that thing and stick it up.”

[...]

The barbs spread like wildfire on social networking sites generating 14,000 Facebook ‘likes’ in a span of eight hours.

For Coles and his creative partner, Sean Devlin, the website serves as a counter to Harper’s own foray into the online world, which includes a staged duet with a young Winnipeg girl whose Lady Gaga tribute video attracted more than 29 million views.

“It freaks me out,” Devlin said of the YoutTube video “These young people can’t vote but somehow it’s acceptable to use them for political gain.”

Coles claims he’s non-partisan and an undecided voter while Devlin admits he once held membership for the NDP.

 

Golly, I hope Elections Canada is paying full attention to such obviously partisan content, and checking that nobody paid too much money to get it on the Web. Because they sure paid attention when BAD PEOPLE did it in the past...

edmundoconnor

From the sounds of it, the Tory complaint doesn't have a leg to stand on, and the Burke campaign knows they've made a huge mistake with the (alleged) interferer with the voting process dodging the media. What are the odds the 'meeting' was convened the very moment the Mercury reporter walked in the door of the campaign office?

I hope the Tory complaint is rejected, and that any person who attempts to interfere with the voting process is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Surprise, surprise, there's no mention of it on the Sun's website.

remind remind's picture

ygtbk wrote:
Golly, I hope Elections Canada is paying full attention to such obviously partisan content, and checking that nobody paid too much money to get it on the Web. Because they sure paid attention when BAD PEOPLE did it in the past...

What are you talking about?

Because it makes absolutely no sense.

Slumberjack

The youth are not incorrect with their lack of engagement in the political processes.  It appears that each generation of them starts out with the keenness of mind to sense bullshit when they encounter it.  With age however, they develop varying levels of immunity to the smell, which permits them to take their place within an order that gradually wears them down and away from idealism, to the point where they become middle aged and senior supporters of conservative causes.  Early mobilization and engagement appears to be the key with them, but it won't do any good to offer more of what currently presents itself along the visible spectrum.  They've already rejected it in droves, and rightly so.

NorthReport

Yvonne and her fellow students at Guelph U are going to be quite crushed when they discover Harper has tried to void their vote. It seems only when they can control it does democracy work for the Conservatives. Does Harper have no shame?

Quote:

Just voted: A column from a 'yes woman'
Answering no to the question, 'Are you voting?' is no longer socially acceptable.
We have reached a critical mass and voting fever is sweeping the nation. Red, Blue, French, Orange or Green - it doesn't matter. What we care about is an active democracy and a united Canada.
Now some people may shrug me off as an idealistic youth. But if university has taught me anything it is to back up your argument. So, here we go:
Within two weeks, over 30 campuses and communities across Canada have signed up to host vote mobs. Our very own University of Guelph kicked it off with a vote mob on March 31st to celebrate the election by producing an educational music video to the Dog Days are Over. That was soon followed by a 'Surprise Harper' event on April 4, to inform leaders that young people will be voting this time around. Since then, University of Victoria, McMaster University, University of Ottawa, Memorial University, University of Calgary, and University of Northern British Columbia have picked it up. A vote mob with over 1,000 (the biggest vote mob yet) students will be taking place on Thursday at McGill and many more have been planned. This movement is growing and it's growing fast. Young people are passionate about the vote - just ask the ballot box.
From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Elections Canada hosted a poll station at the University Centre, at U of G, for students to vote with a special ballot. When the station was set up, staffers were so overwhelmed with the number of students who showed up, they had to officially extend the poll an additional four hours. Even when I cast my vote, at 7:30p.m., there remained students in line with their textbooks in hand.
This time around, it's all action. We're not just talking about it. We are mobilizing on our campuses and in our communities; we are hosting voter socials; and we are casting our ballots in advance.
Get ready, Canada - youth are changing this one.


http://www.guelphmercury.com/opinion/columns/article/516819--just-voted-a-column-from-a-yes-woman

 

Slumberjack

Quote:
A vote mob with over 1,000 (the biggest vote mob yet) students will be taking place on Thursday at McGill and many more have been planned. This movement is growing and it's growing fast. Young people are passionate about the vote...  

That's not bad out of a student population hovering above 30,000.  Yep, the young liberal's club and their drinking buddies sure are passionate.

ygtbk

remind wrote:

ygtbk wrote:
Golly, I hope Elections Canada is paying full attention to such obviously partisan content, and checking that nobody paid too much money to get it on the Web. Because they sure paid attention when BAD PEOPLE did it in the past...

What are you talking about?

Because it makes absolutely no sense.

http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/laws.html

NorthReport
6079_Smith_W

I  think the notion that youth are being singled out is only true in part. Although governments claim to appeal to seniors and middle aged people there are enough examples of them getting the short shrift too. 

I am not saying that it is illusion, I think it is an important point. But the phenomenon of youth not voting is more complex than that. Lack of political education, a sense of place in the community, and simple apathy also play a role.

If anything, I am sure disaffection varies according to class, just like a lot of other things. I remember that back in 1982 the conservative party gave one-third of its decision-making power to their youth wing, so it is not simply a case of youth being ignored. 

remind remind's picture

remind wrote:
ygtbk wrote:
Golly, I hope Elections Canada is paying full attention to such obviously partisan content, and checking that nobody paid too much money to get it on the Web. Because they sure paid attention when BAD PEOPLE did it in the past...

What are you talking about?

Because it makes absolutely no sense.

That SFU link was less than helpful. Why the  inability to come out and say straight what it is you are trying to get at?

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

I think (I could be wrong) ygtbk is pointing out the irony that Elections Canada might be paying attention to this tiny little ShitHarperDid campiagn and seeing if they go over $150 000 in donations, whereas when serious players committed serious unethical conduct with the big parties (i.e CPC and LPC), they weren't too interested.

ygtbk

remind wrote:

remind wrote:
ygtbk wrote:
Golly, I hope Elections Canada is paying full attention to such obviously partisan content, and checking that nobody paid too much money to get it on the Web. Because they sure paid attention when BAD PEOPLE did it in the past...

What are you talking about?

Because it makes absolutely no sense.

That SFU link was less than helpful. Why the  inability to come out and say straight what it is you are trying to get at?

I thought it was pretty clear. We do not have free speech during election campaigns in Canada, and Elections Canada has been selective in their enforcement.

ilha formosa

Quote:
Elections Canada also ruled Friday that no other special ballot will be authorized anywhere else in Canada.
"In light of the focus on youth and student electoral participation at the 41st general election, and on efforts to increase voter interest and turnout among this group, a well-intentioned returning officer undertook a special initiative to create an opportunity for students at the University of Guelph to vote by special ballot," the media release read. "Once Elections Canada officials were made aware of the local initiative in Guelph, the returning officer was instructed not to engage in any further activities of a similar nature. All returning officers have received this instruction."

remind remind's picture

Thank you catchfire, I had thought he meant the opposite.

NorthReport

It wasn't clear at all, and we do have free speech in Canada just hate speech is not allowed.

Harper should be apologizing to those Guelph U students and it is quite sad that the Cons show little respect for democracy unless they control it. Disgusting behaviour. 

 

ygtbk wrote:

remind wrote:

remind wrote:
ygtbk wrote:
Golly, I hope Elections Canada is paying full attention to such obviously partisan content, and checking that nobody paid too much money to get it on the Web. Because they sure paid attention when BAD PEOPLE did it in the past...

What are you talking about?

Because it makes absolutely no sense.

That SFU link was less than helpful. Why the  inability to come out and say straight what it is you are trying to get at?

I thought it was pretty clear. We do not have free speech during election campaigns in Canada, and Elections Canada has been selective in their enforcement.

NorthReport

WTF These Cons just lie and lie and lie. There is no end to their BS.

 

 

http://blog.decisioncanada.ca/uncategorized/tories-applaud-decision-to-c...

 

NorthReport

N-QW Votes 2011: Conservatives' attempt to disqualify votes unacceptable: NDP

The Guelph Mercury reported that students witnessed Michael Sona, Communications Director for Conservative candidate Marty Burke, "attempted to put a stop to voting at the special ballot held Wednesday."

Brenna Anstett, a student who was voting at the time, said:

"He tried to grab for the ballot box. I'm not sure he got his hand on the box, but he definitely grabbed for it."
- Guelph Mercury, Apr. 14, 2011

Reports indicate that Conservatives have also written to Elections Canada requesting that the University of Guelph votes be voided. Monk said these Conservative tactics are unacceptable.

"This is an outrageous attempt by the Harper Conservatives to silence young voters and lower turnout," said Monk.

Monk noted similar tactics by Liberals in 2006 when they quashed a special ballot initiative aimed at encouraging youth voter turnout at the University of Toronto (Globe and Mail, Jan. 20, 2006).

"These Conservatives appear to be picking up where the Liberals left off," said Monk.

 

 

http://www.northumberlandview.ca/index.php?module=news&func=display&sid=...

Lachine Scot

I can't believe this comment on the G&M article by "Conservative for Life":

There was no attempt to "steal" the ballot box. The Conservative representative was just going to hold the ballot box for safe-keeping to ensure that none of the tainted ballots were counted on election night. Someone had to do it.

 

Ahh, conservatives, shoot first and fact check later.

NorthReport

So where are the criminal charges against the Conservatives?

Kara

ilha formosa wrote:

Quote:
Elections Canada also ruled Friday that no other special ballot will be authorized anywhere else in Canada.
"In light of the focus on youth and student electoral participation at the 41st general election, and on efforts to increase voter interest and turnout among this group, a well-intentioned returning officer undertook a special initiative to create an opportunity for students at the University of Guelph to vote by special ballot," the media release read. "Once Elections Canada officials were made aware of the local initiative in Guelph, the returning officer was instructed not to engage in any further activities of a similar nature. All returning officers have received this instruction."

So, even though the Cons lost in this one instance, they won overall because no more special ballots at university campuses.

Bill Davis

People should call for Michael Sona to be investigated for trying to grab the ballot box. Also call for him to be fired from the campaign. Fun side note: he was invovled in an attempted conservative take-over of OPIRG Guelph when he was a student.

NorthReport

I agree Bill.

And we should up the ante on defeating the junior minister Rob Moore, the Fundy Royal Con MP who employs him.

 

Surprise 'vote mobs' shaking up election campaign

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20110415/youth-vote-...

Bill Davis

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what this ruling means in practice.  Does anyone know what spcial ballot initiatives on University campuses would be cancelled?  Are there any?  Were there any planned?

This ruling is largely a win for the tories.  They knew damn well they couldn't get totally legit votes thrown out.  They wanted to put a  chill on elections canada and anyone there trying to boost the youth vote.

scott scott's picture

In Edmonton-Strathcona the students are bussed to the Elections Canada office so that they can vote by special ballot there. This initiative is not affected by this ruling. The only thing affected by the ruling is the special voting on campuses thenselves.

LProudfoot LProudfoot's picture

only a win in that they've made it a bit less convenient for students to vote - on the other hand, they've contributed to a whole lot more media coverage that might well spur a significant number of young people to actually go out of their way to vote just to spite them.

Personally, I think the previous use-of-facebook-to-exclude incident, and now this one, might just really hurt Harper & co....  I can hope, anyway.

genstrike

Lachine Scot wrote:

I can't believe this comment on the G&M article by "Conservative for Life":

There was no attempt to "steal" the ballot box. The Conservative representative was just going to hold the ballot box for safe-keeping to ensure that none of the tainted ballots were counted on election night. Someone had to do it.

 

Ahh, conservatives, shoot first and fact check later.

Shit, I wish I could have thought of that the last time I lost an election.

ScotianGuy1981

So what was the official youth voter turnout? Did it beat the 35% from last time?

 

notaradical

ScotianGuy1981 wrote:

So what was the official youth voter turnout? Did it beat the 35% from last time?

 

 

Official voter turnout in the most recent election was only 3% higher than the last election. I highly doubt that the 18-24 vote manifested itself more visibly this time around. There was no prior sign that the youth vote would explode. The Vote Mobs were only a visual manifestation of the same youth who have always turned up at the polls. Watching a few in action around my campus proved that.

The whole adult world wonders why their young ones don't practice their civic duty. Some half-formed ideas of government ignoring the youth are tossed around, without considering the cyclical basis of that argument. If youth don't vote, politicians don't target them. If politicians don't target them, youth don't vote. Scrutinizing which came first would be comical if it weren't so sad.

Young people, contrary to popular fogey opinion, are energetic and rambunctious people. If given a hammer (keyboard), we'll build an empire (e-commerce). The problem is a misdirection of our energies, the blame for which does not always lie with us. Consider the popular youth sentiments both here and abroad.

Let's take Egypt. The vast majority of young people faced dismal economic prospects and political suppression. They along with the textile workers led the revolts that overthrew the US-backed regime.

In contrast, young people here are lulled into complacency by a false sense of security. Despite over 200,000 more unemployed youth over the past two years, most of us can get by in low-wage service jobs or on our parents' charity. Corporate media has done such a good job over the past thirty years of subtracting political discourse from our daily serving of tv that most of us can't even name our city councillors, much less what's going on in Libya. We should be the sharpest political wits in the history of humanity considering the level of connectedness we enjoy through wireless technology. What's stopping us is a concerted (though unwitting) effort to dull our senses into the intellectual equivalent of a butterknife. It's been working and will continue to work as our education system is eroded.

Consider that issues of politics, economy, and sociology affect us on a daily basis. However, these topics are barely touched upon in school. In public high school, I was given a half-semester course in civics, or how our political system functions. The love of civic discourse and critical analysis is completely absent. Filling that vacuum are language, math, science, which are great if you want to train someone in a particular discipline. This is tantamount to training machines - we are taught only that which we need to function in a specific role. Gone is the ability to think rationally, to willingly participate in systems of governance.

Manic Wombat Manic Wombat's picture

Young voter here. 22. Started reading about politics about a year ago and I've found it extremely difficult to become as informed as I'd like to, and I'm one of the people making a genuine effort!

In my generation "coolness" rules all. Bringing up anything political that's outside the realm of the pointless, right-wing meanderings that the media vomit at us ... is enough to be labeled a downer. Most young people I know do vote, but they vote who I tell them to vote for and when I offer to help inform them they soon grow tired. They still believe we have a left-wing press and that nothing bad can happen in Canada (politically-speaking) because... well... no, they don't actually have a reason but they'd rather not think about such things.

Or they vote conservative because they're "fiscally responsible" and they will not stand for any of my lefty rhetoric (ie. factual, historically evidence of their lack of fiscal responsibility). These are usually libertarian kids who think they're going to be successful/famous in the future... which is what most young people I know want to do with their lives, come to think of it. Reality check incoming!

Working on a book project now. A young Canadian's guide to the very confusing world of politics and how it really does relate to them and their lives. I'm going to try and make it as entertaining as possible whilst still being informative. I don't actually expect clueless people to pick it up, but maybe those who already have a slight interest in politics will enjoy it and get a copy for their clueless friends.

laine lowe laine lowe's picture

Good for you MW. I hope your book reaches the right audience.

I definitely think that a decade of reality show has set up a lot of people into believing that they can get overnight success.

Manic Wombat Manic Wombat's picture

Oh it's totally true. Get rich quick schemes > following your passions. It's the desperation that worries me...

Maybe they sense that things are going to pot and they're trying to get on top. Tongue out

My generation is also very obsessed with getting the latest gadgets, watching the latest movies, etc. on the EXACT day they come out. And they will run you down in a store if there's a limited supply of whatever tosh they're buying. Instant gratification. Waiting is for chumps, they'll say!

They don't realize that they could have better gadgets (not just making it smaller/flatter generation after generation) and generally be happier in a wildly different system. The PR punks on the right have force-fed them a lie. I really would love to play my part in undoing that. I'm tired of arguing with people who passionately defend idiotic stances on policy when they don't even have a basic understanding of them.

 

Red Tory Tea Girl

I'd blame the youth for not having a sense of history, borderline millenial/Xer that I am, but I find the boomers just as dismissive of history.

 

I'd blame them for failing to address the root causes of the decline in most people's standard of living, but then, Jerry Brown and the late-seventies retrenchers are back in power.

 

I'd blame them for saying that electoral politics is irrelevant, but when we've taken august chambers of high-minded debate and turned them into places of symbolic gestures and talking points, I don't know how they could get any less relevant.

 

Still though. Show up and vote. Even if it's just to draw dirty ANSI pictures on the ballot. Just so that Peter Mansbridge reports in stentorian tones a million votes for "Upper case b, four hyphens, upper case d, and an asterix." I've scrutinized elecctions. They record the invalid votes. Swamp them with invalid votes, just one election, show up and spoil your ballot along with an organized youth movement...

 

Because otherwise what they say is true (If I'm not yet the enemy at 28): We don't vote because we're so well-fed and incurious. We care about... stuff... if by that you mean we'll click on a facebook petition to do one thing we wholeheartedly agree with. When you vote for a party, you're voting for a basket of policies, and some of them, I assure you, you will hate.

 

Activism may be the rent I pay for living on the planet, but politics... politics is the art of the immediately plausible.