Exciting news: The Forum intended to re-launch electoral reform in Ontario after the referendum defeat is attracting new activists.
As of 9:00PM this evening, of the 103 registered, 57 are Fair Vote Canada members and 46 are new; 62 have paid the regular registration fee, while 41 have paid $5 as "Students/Low Income" to attend the event in Toronto Saturday Feb. 21.
Click on the above link for details. Top speakers include:
- Dr. Marie Bountrogianni, the former Ontario Minister for Democratic Renewal, who announced after the referendum that she had voted for MMP.
- Dr. Jonathan Rose, former Academic Director of the Ontario Citizens' Assembly on Electoral Reform, presents the lessons learned from the Citizens Assembly, and how a cross-Canada Citizens' Assembly could work.
- Dr. Henry Milner, University of Montreal, author of Making Every Vote Count, talks about the models still open other than closed-province-wide-list MMP.
A panel on "How I Would Put Electoral Reform Back on the Agenda" features
- Andrew Coyne, National Editor, Maclean’s, political commentator
- Bruce Cox, Executive Director, Greenpeace Canada, former NDP campaign director
- Jim Harris, former leader, Green Party of Canada
And I'm really looking forward to seeing the MC for the day - Camille Labchuk, 24, who was about to win the CBC's Next Great Prime Minister contest when they changed their minds about inviting her to compete.