Doctors brace for a new wave of vaccine hysteria

104 posts / 0 new
Last post
Snuckles
Doctors brace for a new wave of vaccine hysteria

Quote:
Concern over the safety of childhood vaccines grew to a crescendo in the years following a study in the late 90s that claimed a link between autism and certain needles.

Subsequent studies proved those fears largely unfounded, and medical professionals were relieved that the science was able to quell most parents' fears.

Now, however, doctors are worried that Oprah Winfrey's tacit endorsement of one of vaccination's biggest critics will give rise to a new round of vaccine hysteria.

Pediatric associations in Canada and the United States are worried that the actress and former Playboy bunny, Jenny McCarthy, will use a new deal with Oprah to promote her emotionally resonant vaccine-skeptical views, despite the fact that they are not scientifically backed.

Ms. McCarthy suggests her son's autism was caused by the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine he received when he was 15 months old and she, along with boyfriend Jim Carrey, is a spokesperson for the "green our vaccines" campaign, which alleges there are toxins in childhood vaccines.

 

Read it [url=http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1606853]here[/url].

Snert Snert's picture

Vaccinations are part of the Holy Trinity of Commie plots.  Vaccinations, Fluoridation, and "Chemtrails".  Time to buy stock in tinfoil.

remind remind's picture

They should brace!

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Yeah, y'know, when I look for advice on what's good for my kids, I'd so much rather pay attention to an overhyped bimbo than to somebody who actually went to medical school.  Yell

ETA: An interesting little link about the consequences of McCarthy's disinformation:

http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/Jenny_McCarthy_Body_Count/Home.html

Sineed

Thanks for that link, Timebandit; I immediately posted it over at the healthcare professionals' forums where I also play.

Some of the doctors at these forums see the Jenny McCarthy phenomenon as a kind of Darwin-Award-By-Proxy, where people too stupid to reproduce are killing their children by denying them vaccines on the advice of a former Playboy bunny (not my view, btw, but thought I'd share).

remind remind's picture

"bimbo" wtf??????

G. Muffin

Thank you, remind.

And, while we're at it, what does "former Playboy bunny" have to do with it?  She's an activist, she doesn't have a medical degree, isn't that what's relevant?  There's a very ugly side to the public's criticism of McCarthy. 

remind remind's picture

Well I would say those Drs at the sight you attend sineed need their licenses pulled for stating that kind of classist crap. Utterly contemptable.

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

As far as I'm concerned, a woman who bases her credibility around celebrity gained for taking off her knickers in public is fair game for the term "bimbo".  She may be an "activist", but I'm having difficulty finding some aspect of the public persona, activist or not, that inspires some form of respect.  Can't find one. 

remind remind's picture

Sealed

G. Muffin

How about this, Timebandit?  She genuinely believes that medical science is wrong on a critical issue.  I have no opinion on the autism/vaccine story but I do know that autism rates are much higher in North America than elsewhere.  That's an issue worth investigating and one that medicine hasn't satisfactorily addressed. 

I genuinely believe that medical science is dead wrong on psychiatry.  And I trust that when people attack my views they manage not to insult my gender. 

oldgoat

While I tend to agree with timebandit strictly around the vaccine issue, I'm going to agree with remind about how it was expressed.

Bimbo?!

I don't care how she makes her living.  She's a parent of a kid to whom something happened, and has every right to lobby loud and hard to get her point of view out.  This would be no different than devaluing my opinion as to my child's medical care because I'm just a dumpy middle aged guy with only a Mickey Mouse humanities degree.

Feminist principles on this board don't end with the feminist forum.

FWIW, my kids were vaccinated, and that's the side of that issue I come down on.  I still feel that way despite my sons Aspergers Syndrome which I believe to be unrelated.

Unionist

"Dumpy"!!?? WTF?

On a more serious note, I wouldn't be too concerned about Canadians "saving" their kids from vaccination. Not a big problem here. Down south, on the other hand, they even believe single-payer public health care is a Satanic plot, so I would expect millions to be resisting the Evil Needle.

 

Refuge Refuge's picture

Timebandit wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, a woman who bases her credibility around celebrity gained for taking off her knickers in public is fair game for the term "bimbo".  She may be an "activist", but I'm having difficulty finding some aspect of the public persona, activist or not, that inspires some form of respect.  Can't find one. 

I respect her for being the mother of a child with Autism who did everything in her power to help her child including speech therapy, ocupational therapy, applied behavioural analysis therapy and nutritional therapies. I may not always agree with the message or how it is presented but it is presented by a mother I respect for doing the best she can for her child.

martin dufresne

Why is it that when a man takes off his knickers in public, he is met with awe, while women only get ridicule?

Refuge Refuge's picture

Unionist wrote:

"Dumpy"!!?? WTF?

On a more serious note, I wouldn't be too concerned about Canadians "saving" their kids from vaccination. Not a big problem here. Down south, on the other hand, they even believe single-payer public health care is a Satanic plot, so I would expect millions to be resisting the Evil Needle.

 

Sorry Unionist but you obviously haven't been on many autism boards. I am on a few special needs boards, the ones not having to do with Autism not a whisper but definetly a big movement in the Autism biomed community. They know all the ins and outs of mercury, thermite etc

ennir

Timebandit wrote:

Yeah, y'know, when I look for advice on what's good for my kids, I'd so much rather pay attention to an overhyped bimbo than to somebody who actually went to medical school.  Yell

ETA: An interesting little link about the consequences of McCarthy's disinformation:

http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/Jenny_McCarthy_Body_Count/Home.html

That's a vicious site, thanks for sharing.

Who makes the vaccinations?  Who controls the studies? Perhaps if there was integrity in the system these questions would be irrelevent but the fact is we have a system where pharmaceutical companies profit at our expense and many die just so they may continue to profit.  Why should people trust them?

At the heart of this movement is women who have seen their children  change from bright little beings into children with enormous challenges.  This information is never acknowledged, after all it hasn't been proven in studies and never will be either.

Fidel

Dr Devra Davis said in 2007,

Quote:
The same fire retardant, chlorinated tris, that was removed from children's sleepwear 30 years ago is being used to meet the California standard. Tris is a mutagen and a carcinogen and CPSC studies predict 300 cases of cancer per million people exposed to tris in furniture. If tris were used across the US, 90,000 cases of cancer would be predicted.. 7. Dozens of scientific studies are under way looking at the relationship of other fire retardant chemicals to [url=http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07284/824678-114.stm]birth defects, autism, hyperactivity, reduced fertility and sperm counts and other neurological and reproductive conditions[/url]

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

G. Pie wrote:

How about this, Timebandit?  She genuinely believes that medical science is wrong on a critical issue.  I have no opinion on the autism/vaccine story but I do know that autism rates are much higher in North America than elsewhere.  That's an issue worth investigating and one that medicine hasn't satisfactorily addressed. 

I genuinely believe that medical science is dead wrong on psychiatry.  And I trust that when people attack my views they manage not to insult my gender. 

I'm not denying any of what you've posted.  However, what has been addressed is whether vaccination has anything to do with autism spectrum disorders and that is something that HAS been exhaustively investigated.  And yet the misinformation persists, with extra vitriol and vehemence, and kids get sick with preventable diseases.  Some of them die.  And Jenny McCarthy has publicly said that's okay if it fits with her agenda.  I have a real problem with that. 

BTW, I don't see "bimbo" as so much an insult to McCarthy's gender so much as it is about how she runs her career. 

Sineed

G. Pie wrote:

Thank you, remind.

And, while we're at it, what does "former Playboy bunny" have to do with it?  She's an activist, she doesn't have a medical degree, isn't that what's relevant?  There's a very ugly side to the public's criticism of McCarthy. 

Playboy bunny has everything to do with it; that's why she gets the attention in the 1st place.  To say we have to respect her activist creds on their own merit and ignore how she got famous is just as disingenuous as Billy Bob Thornton throwing a hissy when people mention his acting career.

G. Muffin

Timebandit wrote:
 And yet the misinformation persists, with extra vitriol and vehemence, and kids get sick with preventable diseases.  Some of them die.  And Jenny McCarthy has publicly said that's okay if it fits with her agenda.  I have a real problem with that.

No, she hasn't said it's okay if kids die as long as she furthers her agenda.  That's a really offensive distortion.  Don't be such a bimbo!

Snert Snert's picture

Quote:
She genuinely believes that medical science is wrong on a critical issue. 

 

You don't "believe" science to be wrong. You PROVE it to be wrong.

G. Muffin

Sineed wrote:
Playboy bunny has everything to do with it; that's why she gets the attention in the 1st place.

I disagree.  I think anybody could have turned out to be the primary antivax activist.  She gets the attention because the public is justifiably alarmed at the rate of autism. 

Quote:
To say we have to respect her activist creds on their own merit and ignore how she got famous is just as disingenuous as Billy Bob Thornton throwing a hissy when people mention his acting career.

No.  Over the course of BBT's musical career, he will morph from "former actor" to "musician."  Bill Gates isn't routinely tagged a "former college drop-out."  But Jenny McCarthy will always be a "former Playboy bunny" and that's sexist and disgusting.

G. Muffin

Snert wrote:

Quote:
She genuinely believes that medical science is wrong on a critical issue. 

You don't "believe" science to be wrong. You PROVE it to be wrong.

And that may happen.

remind remind's picture

While on the topic of vaccinations what do people think about forced vaccinations for the swine flu?

Sineed

G. Pie wrote:

Sineed wrote:
Playboy bunny has everything to do with it; that's why she gets the attention in the 1st place.

I disagree.  I think anybody could have turned out to be the primary antivax activist.  She gets the attention because the public is justifiably alarmed at the rate of autism. 

Quote:
To say we have to respect her activist creds on their own merit and ignore how she got famous is just as disingenuous as Billy Bob Thornton throwing a hissy when people mention his acting career.

No.  Over the course of BBT's musical career, he will morph from "former actor" to "musician."  Bill Gates isn't routinely tagged a "former college drop-out."  But Jenny McCarthy will always be a "former Playboy bunny" and that's sexist and disgusting.

Jenny McCarthy joins a long list of celebrities, male or female, using their fame as a pulpit from which to preach whatever their personal obsessions.  To call her an activist is like calling Tom Cruise a spokesman for religious diversity.

Jenny may always be known as a former playboy bunny just as Billy Bob may always be known as that actor who was married to Angelina Jolie.  Such is the nature of fame.

Snert Snert's picture

Quote:

And that may happen.

 

What is she basing her "beliefs" on in the meantime, then? A lucky hunch? A little bird told her?

 

Quote:
No.  Over the course of BBT's musical career, he will morph from "former actor" to "musician."  Bill Gates isn't routinely tagged a "former college drop-out." 

 

 

Did you know that Ronald Reagan used to be an actor. He once "acted" with a monkey!! I'll bet you didn't know that, because when men change careers, we don't dog them with their less-reputable pasts.

 

Sineed

remind wrote:

While on the topic of vaccinations what do people think about forced vaccinations for the swine flu?

Well, they have to invent it first.  And I doubt it'll happen - influenza vaccine-making resources are being used right now to make the regular seasonal flu vaccine.  WHO is still in wait and see mode; there'll be no vaccine if it turns out to be a mild infection as it makes its way through the southern hemisphere, which is currently entering its flu season.

remind remind's picture

Actually not coming back to this thread, the sexism and nastiness is intolerable.

G. Muffin

Snert wrote:
Did you know that Ronald Reagan used to be an actor. He once "acted" with a monkey!! I'll bet you didn't know that, because when men change careers, we don't dog them with their less-reputable pasts.

You know perfectly well what I mean, Snert.  There's a sexist nastiness to "former Playboy bunny."  Finding counter-examples doesn't change that.

G. Muffin

remind wrote:

Actually not coming back to this thread, the sexism and nastiness is intolerable.

I swear to God I wrote "sexist nastiness" before I read this.  Remind, I agree with you. 

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

G. Pie wrote:

Timebandit wrote:
 And yet the misinformation persists, with extra vitriol and vehemence, and kids get sick with preventable diseases.  Some of them die.  And Jenny McCarthy has publicly said that's okay if it fits with her agenda.  I have a real problem with that.

No, she hasn't said it's okay if kids die as long as she furthers her agenda.  That's a really offensive distortion.  Don't be such a bimbo!

Check the link I posted above:  "I do believe sadly that it's going to take some diseases coming back to realize that we need to change and develop vaccines that are safe."  Time Magazine article, April 2009.  Is that offensive enough for you?  I find it offensive that anybody would come to the defense of what this quackadoo spouts.

The thing is, the vaccines ARE safe, this has been demonstrated and still she calls for people to not vaccinate their kids, and she uses her celebrity to promote this very dangerous view.  That's right - put YOUR kids at risk so Jenny has somebody to blame for her child's illness.

I think it's tragic that McCarthy's son is autistic (although she claims he's cured now...), but that doesn't give her a free pass to advocate for spurious causes or spread false information.  I fully understand that a diagnosis of autism is devastating and that it's perfectly natural to look for a cause and maybe somebody to take responsibility for it.  Maybe if she'd switched to looking at plastics in our environment  when somebody showed her there's no evidence for the vaccine theory she might have some sort of credibility.  ADHD and autism spectrum disorders started rising shortly after the rise in use of plastics - and I'm not saying I think plastics are necessarily the cause, but doesn't it make more sense to rule out another thing rather than denying the obvious?

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

G. Pie wrote:

Snert wrote:
Did you know that Ronald Reagan used to be an actor. He once "acted" with a monkey!! I'll bet you didn't know that, because when men change careers, we don't dog them with their less-reputable pasts.

You know perfectly well what I mean, Snert.  There's a sexist nastiness to "former Playboy bunny."  Finding counter-examples doesn't change that.

No, I think that would be a statement of fact. 

ennir

G. Pie wrote:

remind wrote:

Actually not coming back to this thread, the sexism and nastiness is intolerable.

I swear to God I wrote "sexist nastiness" before I read this.  Remind, I agree with you. 

I agree too, I think that anyone who dismisses a woman's argument by identifying her as a bimbo reveals more about themselves than the woman they are attempting to shut up.  As someone who has experienced that kind of bullshit it has been my experience that those individuals have tiny little.................

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

minds.

LOL

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Fine.  Will the Sexism Police be happier if I refer to her as a flaming idiot with a penchant for exhibitionism as a public personality?

Good grief.

ennir

 

Shifting to insulting the "Sexism Police" only proves the point.  Thanks.  LOL

Snert Snert's picture

Quote:
She gets the attention because the public is justifiably alarmed at the rate of autism. 

 

Do you actually believe that John and Jane Q. Public are alarmed at the rate of autism?

 

Before "Rain Man" came out, if you told John and Jane that you knew an autistic child they would probably have replied "Our son is artistic too! He loves to paint!".

 

But now you figure people are concerned with population health statistics concerning autism, and that THAT's the real reason McCarthy gets attention on the subject? In that case, I should think the average member of the public could name at least ONE other autism activist then, yes? I'd very much like to see that.

remind remind's picture

BTW, the article I linked to above has numerous links, and it details the fact that autism causational factors are not fully  known. And one of the links details "professionals" who are in conflict of interest when that have stated vaccinations play no part. It has a huge amount of informaiton in it.

Ennir I worked with autistics for years, and I too have the same anecdotal stories you have come across, plus there are 3 families here in town who have also suffered the same, children bright and developmentally fine until their 6-18 month vaccinations. It seems there is a relationship to older vaccines in more rural areas too, as health authorities by significant amounts and it might not get used fast enough in areas of low birthrates and thus degrades.

ennir

I know two mothers who saw their children change dramatically after vaccinations and when I worked for SMD years ago I spoke with one family who had a child react to the vaccine and questioned the doctor about the wisdom of vaccinating their second child, they were reassured there was no risk and consequently their daughter was transformed from talkative and walking infant to a child with no verbal ability and and spastic quadrapalegia.  That makes three.

There are many mothers speaking out about this, that is why Jenny's message resonates.  She also offers hope for recovery from the trauma the children have experienced.

remind remind's picture

 

Timebandit wrote:
However, what has been addressed is whether vaccination has anything to do with autism spectrum disorders and that is something that HAS been exhaustively investigated.  And yet the misinformation persists, with extra vitriol and vehemence, and kids get sick with preventable diseases.  Some of them die.  And Jenny McCarthy has publicly said that's okay if it fits with her agenda.  I have a real problem with that. 

This is an utter fabrication on your part!

Dr Patricia Fitzgerald on Jenny McCarthy and autism

Quote:
When it comes to healing autism or any chronic condition, improving the diet and adding nutritional supplements are interventions that are rapidly gaining mainstream acceptance.

However, the most controversial area that Jenny and Dr. Kartzinel discuss in their book is that of vaccinations. The two have brought to light what they consider to be an excessive use of vaccines in the US, and therefore they have often been accused of being "anti-vaccine."

Here's how Jenny explains her view of this hot-button issue at the beginning of the chapter on vaccines: "Despite what anybody thinks, I'm still not against vaccines ... if I were you, I would educate myself on each shot and what it protects against, along with the possible side effects." The rest of the chapter is a conversation during which Jenny and Dr. Kartzinel discuss vaccine pros and cons, side effects, an alternative shot schedule, and the ingredients in vaccines. Resources for further research are also provided.

The autism-vaccine link is being studied because there are actual concerns that warrant these studies. Some studies support the use of certain vaccines, while other studies do not. Often there are conflicts of interest within studies. It can make anybody's head spin trying to sort through these studies.

Some research has denied the autism-vaccine link, while some has supported such a connection. There are two cases recently highlighted in the news related to children who received compensation because of a vaccination connection to autism spectrum disorder.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-patricia-fitzgerald/jenny-mccarthys-aut...

Quote:
BTW, I don't see "bimbo" as so much an insult to McCarthy's gender so much as it is about how she runs her career.

And BS on the comment about how she runs her career, it is a narrow minded judgement on what you perceive as her morality as a woman and nothing more. And who the hell are you to judge what someone else  does with their "career". Plus your commentary IMV is slanderous!

 

Sineed

remind wrote:

BTW, the article I linked to above has numerous links, and it details the fact that autism causational factors are not fully  known. And one of the links details "professionals" who are in conflict of interest when that have stated vaccinations play no part. It has a huge amount of informaiton in it.

Ennir I worked with autistics for years, and I too have the same anecdotal stories you have come across, plus there are 3 families here in town who have also suffered the same, children bright and developmentally fine until their 6-18 month vaccinations. It seems there is a relationship to older vaccines in more rural areas too, as health authorities by significant amounts and it might not get used fast enough in areas of low birthrates and thus degrades.

A few points: one of the reasons autism rates are rising is because it is being diagnosed more.  Eighty years ago, they may have been diagnosed as "idiots," or "morons," terms that are now exclusively pejorative, but have their origins in medical terminology to describe certain kinds of cognitively disabled children.  So the rates of autism may not actually be rising; it's just the recognition of such.  There's been, for instance, a broadening into "autism spectrum disorders," such that some children are being diagnosed with Aspergers where in the past they may have been seen just as eccentric.

The vaccine link: I am confident that there is absolutely none.  It has been rigorously investigated, and no link has been found.  Basically, continuing to beat this dead horse is a waste of time for the medical system; instead of investigating what the causes might be (plastics?  food additives? heredity?) they have to keep refuting this over and over and over and over......

Re: vaccines - at my workplace, we have certification to store vaccines from Toronto Public Health.  Basically, these things have expiry dates on them.  So this whole notion of old vaccines sitting around is rather silly; when they get stale-dated, I have to toss them out, or I could get charged with professional misconduct.

ennir

Thanks for the link remind.

What I find outrageous is that those anecdotal stories are ignored, I suppose it is a strategy that has worked before and they assume it will continue to work.   The reality though is that increasing numbers of children are being diagnosed with autism and their parents have access to the internet.

 

martin dufresne

The title of this thread is very insulting to concerned parents - most of them women - who are expected to slave for their children's welfare but are dismissed and insulted as "hysterics" when they express concern about preoccupying data and patterns.

We shouldn't let the National Post frame our discussions.

remind remind's picture

The increasing numbers have been over the last few years, it has sfa to do with diagnosis being missed years ago.

The public health nurse here, actually quit being a public health nurse here, as she was forced to use close to expiry vaccines that she felt were not good. And there had already been 3 cases of children who of all sudden became autistic after they had received innoculations.

Sineed, frankly I would not trust your word if my life depended on it.

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

martin dufresne wrote:

The title of this thread is very insulting to concerned parents - most of them women - who are expected to slave for their children's welfare but are dismissed and insulted as "hysterics" when they express concern about preoccupying data and patterns.

We shouldn't let the National Post frame our discussions.

BUT THERE IS NO FUCKING PATTERN WITH A LINK TO VACCINES!!!!!!!!!!!
They're not ignored, martin, they're DISCREDITED.  There is a world of difference.
In fact, rather than being ignored, studies have been conducted, double-blind, analyzed, meta-analyzed and then the results have been taken through the system to the US Supreme Court, who recently ruled that, given the EVIDENCE (y'know, that inconvenient stuff made of, whaddayacallit, oh, FACTS) there is no connection. Hysteria is an apt descriptor of this kind of blind irrationality.

remind wrote:

 
Timebandit wrote:
However, what has been addressed is whether vaccination has anything to do with autism spectrum disorders and that is something that HAS been exhaustively investigated.  And yet the misinformation persists, with extra vitriol and vehemence, and kids get sick with preventable diseases.  Some of them die.  And Jenny McCarthy has publicly said that's okay if it fits with her agenda.  I have a real problem with that. 

This is an utter fabrication on your part!
Dr Patricia Fitzgerald on Jenny McCarthy and autism
Quote:
When it comes to healing autism or any chronic condition, improving the diet and adding nutritional supplements are interventions that are rapidly gaining mainstream acceptance.
However, the most controversial area that Jenny and Dr. Kartzinel discuss in their book is that of vaccinations. The two have brought to light what they consider to be an excessive use of vaccines in the US, and therefore they have often been accused of being "anti-vaccine."
Here's how Jenny explains her view of this hot-button issue at the beginning of the chapter on vaccines: "Despite what anybody thinks, I'm still not against vaccines ... if I were you, I would educate myself on each shot and what it protects against, along with the possible side effects." The rest of the chapter is a conversation during which Jenny and Dr. Kartzinel discuss vaccine pros and cons, side effects, an alternative shot schedule, and the ingredients in vaccines. Resources for further research are also provided.
The autism-vaccine link is being studied because there are actual concerns that warrant these studies. Some studies support the use of certain vaccines, while other studies do not. Often there are conflicts of interest within studies. It can make anybody's head spin trying to sort through these studies.
Some research has denied the autism-vaccine link, while some has supported such a connection. There are two cases recently highlighted in the news related to children who received compensation because of a vaccination connection to autism spectrum disorder.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-patricia-fitzgerald/jenny-mccarthys-aut...

Dr. Patricia Fitzgerald has a degree in homeopathy. She isn't a real doctor. Honest to gawd, remind, when are you going to learn to use freaking google? Huffpo isn't exactly a reliable source for medical journalism to start with. Here's a link to a real doctor on your "expert"'s qualifications:
http://scienceblogs.com/whitecoatunderground/2009/04/the_fake_experts_of_huffpo.php
Here's another link:
http://discovermagazine.com/2009/jun/06-why-does-vaccine-autism-controversy-live-on/
I am not a liar. I have fabricated nothing. You need an introduction to reality.

Refuge Refuge's picture

So what is so bad about questioning the link between drugs that are made by big pharma (cause we know how ethical they are) and behaviour.  If it isn't true, fine, if it is, I am glad that someone was willing to look.

NB most studies that say that there is not link are funded by big Pharma. 

Here is an article from the Huffington Post on one of three cases for the United States Government that were suppose to disprove the link between Autism and the Vaccine.  Instead they found that children who have a mitochondrial disorder and have the shot can develop Autism after the shot (Autistic symptoms are not a part of the mitochondrial disorder).  10-20% of the children with Autism have this Mitochondrial Disorder as compared to only 0.2% in the general population.  It raises enough questions for me to say there needs to be more research to find out if there are any other agrevating factors that would cause a child to develop Autism or any other issues other than Mitochondrial Disorder.

Huffington Post wrote:

After years of insisting there is no evidence to link vaccines with the onset of autism spectrum disorder (ASD), the US government has quietly conceded a vaccine-autism case in the Court of Federal Claims.

The unprecedented concession was filed on November 9, and sealed to protect the plaintiff's identify. It was obtained through individuals unrelated to the case.

The claim, one of 4,900 autism cases currently pending in Federal "Vaccine Court," was conceded by US Assistant Attorney General Peter Keisler and other Justice Department officials, on behalf of the Department of Health and Human Services, the "defendant" in all Vaccine Court cases.

The child's claim against the government -- that mercury-containing vaccines were the cause of her autism -- was supposed to be one of three "test cases" for the thimerosal-autism theory currently under consideration by a three-member panel of Special Masters, the presiding justices in Federal Claims Court.

Keisler wrote that medical personnel at the HHS Division of Vaccine Injury Compensation (DVIC) had reviewed the case and "concluded that compensation is appropriate."

The doctors conceded that the child was healthy and developing normally until her 18-month well-baby visit, when she received vaccinations against nine different diseases all at once (two contained thimerosal).

Days later, the girl began spiraling downward into a cascade of illnesses and setbacks that, within months, presented as symptoms of autism, including: No response to verbal direction; loss of language skills; no eye contact; loss of "relatedness;" insomnia; incessant screaming; arching; and "watching the florescent lights repeatedly during examination."

Seven months after vaccination, the patient was diagnosed by Dr. Andrew Zimmerman, a leading neurologist at the Kennedy Krieger Children's Hospital Neurology Clinic, with "regressive encephalopathy (brain disease) with features consistent with autistic spectrum disorder, following normal development." The girl also met the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) official criteria for autism.

In its written concession, the government said the child had a pre-existing mitochondrial disorder that was "aggravated" by her shots, and which ultimately resulted in an ASD diagnosis.

"The vaccinations received on July 19, 2000, significantly aggravated an underlying mitochondrial disorder," the concession says, "which predisposed her to deficits in cellular energy metabolism, and manifested as a regressive encephalopathy with features of ASD."

Full Article

remind remind's picture

I think not, timebandit!

Refuge Refuge's picture

Remind, I am assuming that you are responding to the "need an introduction to reality" from Timebandit, not the article I posted.

remind remind's picture

Yep revised my post for clarity.

martin dufresne

Timebandit: "They're not ignored, martin, they're DISCREDITED.  There is a world of difference. In fact, rather than being ignored, studies have been conducted, double-blind, analyzed, meta-analyzed and then the results have been taken through the system to the US Supreme Court, who recently ruled that, given the EVIDENCE (y'know, that inconvenient stuff made of, whaddayacallit, oh, FACTS) there is no connection."

I have made this point in another thread so I'll be brief. You can use the scientific method to establish a connection between facts, but you can't deduce anything from the absence of evidence of a connection. All you can say that you haven't found the evidence you were looking for. Says nothing about reality: you could have been looking in the wrong place, at the wrong pattern, you could have been careless or out of luck, but to put it simply, the absence of a sought correlation doesn't prove or disprove anything in itself. Science is built on observed, stable, repeatable correlations, not on the lack thereof. A theory can only be "discredited" by a better theory, not by a lack of authoritative evidence.

Sineed

martin dufresne wrote:

I have made this point in another thread so I'll be brief. You can use the scientific method to establish a connection between facts, but you can't deduce anything from the absence of evidence of a connection. All you can say that you haven't found the evidence you were looking for. Says nothing about reality: you could have been looking in the wrong place, at the wrong pattern, you could have been careless or out of luck, but to put it simply, the absence of a sought correlation doesn't prove or disprove anything in itself. Science is built on observed, stable, repeatable correlations, not on the lack thereof. A theory can only be "discredited" by a better theory, not by a lack of authoritative evidence.

http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

Pages

Topic locked