An American/Canadian War Crime 74 Years After: Remembering the Atomic Bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
NDPP
An American/Canadian War Crime 74 Years After: Remembering the Atomic Bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki

Atomic Message: 74 Years After (doco)

https://youtu.be/edfxrib8ul4

74 years after the US dropped nuclear bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the real reasons behind the decision still divide historians. Recent declassified documents from the time suggest that the nuclear strikes may have been performed not out of military necessity but to intimidate the USSR...

 

2019 Doomsday Clock Statement

https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/

"A New Abnormal: It is still 2 minutes to midnight."

NDPP

US Never Apologized to Japan For Atoming Bombings: Russian Diplomat

https://tass.com/politics/1072779

"Not a single American president has ever offered an apology to the people of Japan for the terrible and militarily senseless atomic bombings of the Japanese cities Hiroshima and Nagasaki..."

And the reason is obvious. They're not sorry.

swallow swallow's picture

NDPP wrote:

Atomic Message: 74 Years After (doco)

https://youtu.be/edfxrib8ul4

74 years after the US dropped nuclear bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the real reasons behind the decision still divide historians. Recent declassified documents from the time suggest that the nuclear strikes may have been performed not out of military necessity but to intimidate the USSR...

In fact, long-established documents show that, no need to look to recently declassified documents alone. Any honest hostorian will concede that at least the timing of the bombs was to forestall Soviet gains in NE Asia. 

I would suggest the thead title needs nauncing: this American crime was aided and abetted and possible with help from US allies, including Canada. 

Unionist

swallow wrote:

In fact, long-established documents show that, no need to look to recently declassified documents alone. Any honest hostorian will concede that at least the timing of the bombs was to forestall Soviet gains in NE Asia.

Yes, I feel I've know that for several decades. Don't think it's news, I agree with you.

Quote:

I would suggest the thead title needs nauncing: this American crime was aided and abetted and possible with help from US allies, including Canada. 

That's a bit more intriguing. Any evidence for that?

voice of the damned

Unionist wrote:

swallow wrote:

In fact, long-established documents show that, no need to look to recently declassified documents alone. Any honest hostorian will concede that at least the timing of the bombs was to forestall Soviet gains in NE Asia.

Yes, I feel I've know that for several decades. Don't think it's news, I agree with you.

Quote:

I would suggest the thead title needs nauncing: this American crime was aided and abetted and possible with help from US allies, including Canada. 

That's a bit more intriguing. Any evidence for that?

There are more detailed accounts on-line, but here's a thumbnail sketch...

https://tinyurl.com/y49feqj2

I suppose, in defense of  Canada, you could posit that Canada's politicians and scientists must have assumed that the bomb would be used in such a way so as to entail no loss of civilian life whatsoever. That's being pretty charitable, however.  

 

swallow swallow's picture

Lots of material on Canada and the Manhattan project out there. As usual, Canada's contribution included a lot of dirty deeds on First Nations lands. 

https://www.atomicheritage.org/location/canada

http://www.concordia.ca/cunews/main/stories/2015/08/06/anniversary-of-hiroshima-peter-van-wyck.html

https://www.canadashistory.ca/explore/science-technology/canada-s-a-bomb-secret

voice of the damned

^ And the NFB film If You Love This Planet features clips from what I believe is an American newsreel, talking about the bombs and mentioning that some of the material was coming from Canada. So it was quite well publicized at the time, though not something much talked about these days.

NDPP

Use of Canadian Uranium in the World's First Atomic Bombs

http://www.ccnr.org/uranium_in_bombs.html

"...It is a distinct pleasure for me to announce that Canadian scientists have played an intimate part, and have been associated in an effective way with this great scientific development." - CD Howe -

NDPP

Hiroshima Remembered: Monsters Then & Now

http://gorillaradioblog.blogspot.com/2019/08/hiroshima-remembered-monste...

"American Values, an excellent Twitter account which publishes daily information about US atrocities, has just posted a thread for the anniversary of the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima, Japan, and I think everyone should have a look at it today:

'...Much of the US propaganda used during the war depicted the Japanese as subhumans and it's this attitude that helped the US government justify these atrocities to itself and to its population. One of the most reprehensible myths surrounding the bombings is the idea that they were 'necessary' to save lives. Serious historical work has disproven this. Nevertheless this myth remains because it alleviates the guilt [North] Americans would otherwise feel for their government[s] committing one of humanity's most atrocious war crimes..."

 

A Time Lapse Map of Every Nuclear Explosion Since 1945  - by Isao Hashimoto

https://youtu.be/LLCF7vPanrY

 

NDPP

Nuclear Risks on Rise, Canadians Must Fight For Disarmament

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/opinion/national-perspectives/tamara-l...

"...Cities across Canada held commemorations this week to mark the 74th anniversary of the tragic atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. There are 108 Canadian cities that are part of Mayors For Peace, an international movement for the abolition of nuclear weapons...There are nine countries that possess approximately 14,000 nuclear weapons. Moreover all the nuclear weapons countries are modernizing their arsenals..."

Concerned Canadians would also do well to pay closer attention to recent developments surrounding a massive renovated  NORAD redux and Canada's deepening  involvement in the US nuclear 'defence umbrella'.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

voice of the damned wrote:
I suppose, in defense of  Canada, you could posit that Canada's politicians and scientists must have assumed that the bomb would be used in such a way so as to entail no loss of civilian life whatsoever. That's being pretty charitable, however. 

Would those be the same politicians that ethnically cleansed the West Coast of Japanese-Canadians and then stole all their possessions.

Ken Burch Ken Burch's picture
voice of the damned

kropotkin1951 wrote:

voice of the damned wrote:
I suppose, in defense of  Canada, you could posit that Canada's politicians and scientists must have assumed that the bomb would be used in such a way so as to entail no loss of civilian life whatsoever. That's being pretty charitable, however. 

Would those be the same politicians that ethnically cleansed the West Coast of Japanese-Canadians and then stole all their possessions.

Well, like I say, it would be a pretty charitable interpretation of the politicians' actions. That means I don't really buy it myself, and I pretty much just threw it out there as a prebuttal in case someone later chose to make the argument.

Rikardo

Hiroshima helps us forget the horrible crime of the intensive bombing of German and Japanese civilians in the last year and a half of the war. By 1943 Japan and Germany had LOST (any chance of winning or even keeping their conquests) At the famous 1943 conference in Quebec City, Churchill and Roosevelt were shown the new Walt Disney film "Victory Through Air Power" proposing massive bombardment. This crime of the winners was not judged at Nurenberg just as Western Democratic crimes won't be judged by their feel-good creation, the ICC in the Hague. As Canada supplied the uranium we now supply much moral humanitarian self-righteous justification for the ICC. We recently gave $3 million to some legal expert who is preparing the case against Assad at the Hague. That should go to victims of the civil war that Obama (not Trump) helped start.

Paladin1

Lets send the UN after them.