babble-intro-img
babble is rabble.ca's discussion board but it's much more than that: it's an online community for folks who just won't shut up. It's a place to tell each other — and the world — what's up with our work and campaigns.

Boston Marathon hit by explosions

Paladin1
Offline
Joined: Jan 14 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22160691

 

I hope no one lost their lives, I've read some articles that some people have lost limbs.


Comments

Paladin1
Offline
Joined: Jan 14 2013

kim elliott
Offline
Joined: May 2 2008

If you know anyone who was running in the race, you can check on their last status here: http://raceday.baa.org/individual.html


Mr.Tea
Offline
Joined: Jul 9 2011

Holy shit. What a disgusting, cowardly crime.


allah
Offline
Joined: Mar 15 2011
Left Turn
Offline
Joined: Mar 28 2005

Obama to make a speech at the top of the hour.


Left Turn
Offline
Joined: Mar 28 2005

The NY Post article is not accurate. According to CNN, the Bston police are reporting that no suspects have been identified. Individuals are being questined, but none of these people are considered suspects by the Boston Police.


josh
Online
Joined: Aug 5 2002

Murdoch bull. At least as of now. Officials hav e denied the story. Know the Copley Square area well.  Bostonians are tough and won't let themselves be intimidated by this.


oldgoat
Offline
Joined: Jul 27 2001

When's the last tme a NY Post article was accurate.  It's early hours folks, lets be a little selective about making speculative posts.


Left Turn
Offline
Joined: Mar 28 2005

Obama speaking now.


Left Turn
Offline
Joined: Mar 28 2005

One of my Facebook friends pointed out that there were bomb blasts in six provinces in Iraq today, bomb blasts in northern Syria today... Bomb blasts happen somwhere in this world every day, we just don't hear about most of these attacks on the news.


NorthReport
Offline
Joined: Jul 6 2008

When are ever going to learn: Terrorism does not necessarily equal foreign.

The Boston Police do not have anyone in custody at the present time

Another possible line of inquiry is that today is Patriot's Day in Massachusetts.

The Oklahoma City bombing took place two days after Patriot's Day in 1995.


bekayne
Offline
Joined: Jan 23 2006

josh wrote:

Murdoch bull. At least as of now. Officials hav e denied the story. Know the Copley Square area well.  Bostonians are tough and won't let themselves be intimidated by this.

The NY Post is also saying 12 dead, while everyone else is saying 2

 


NorthReport
Offline
Joined: Jul 6 2008

And there has been no connection made between what happened at the JFK Library and the Boston Marathon so far. The Daily Mail's article is bunk.

 

 


Paladin1
Offline
Joined: Jan 14 2013

Left Turn wrote:

One of my Facebook friends pointed out that there were bomb blasts in six provinces in Iraq today, bomb blasts in northern Syria today... Bomb blasts happen somwhere in this world every day, we just don't hear about most of these attacks on the news.

 

Yea, no big deal.


knownothing
Offline
Joined: Mar 24 2011

bekayne wrote:

josh wrote:

Murdoch bull. At least as of now. Officials hav e denied the story. Know the Copley Square area well.  Bostonians are tough and won't let themselves be intimidated by this.

The NY Post is also saying 12 dead, while everyone else is saying 2

 

They can always just say it is a typo


josh
Online
Joined: Aug 5 2002

NorthReport wrote:

When are ever going to learn: Terrorism does not necessarily equal foreign.

The Boston Police do not have anyone in custody at the present time

Another possible line of inquiry is that today is Patriot's Day in Massachusetts.

The Oklahoma City bombing took place two days after Patriot's Day in 1995.

20th anniversary of the Waco incident which precipitated the OKC bombing is 4 days away. Plus it's tax filing day.

MegB
Offline
Joined: Nov 28 2001
Various news reports are reporting conflicting information. Meaning, they just don't know. Lot's of rumor, few solid facts. It'll be a while before we'll know more.

NorthReport
Offline
Joined: Jul 6 2008

President Obama, I think wisely, did not use the "terrorism" word when he addressed the nation this afternoon,  as the word "terrorism" I'm sure to many Americans, means a "foreigner" and there are no public details yet to suggest who are the perpetrators of this crime.

Tragically, another person has now died, raising the death toll to 3, including an 8 year old boy.

Quote:
[Update, 8:55 p.m. ET] A Saudi national with a leg wound was under guard at a Boston hospital in connection with the bombings at the Boston Marathon, but investigators cannot say he is involved at this time and he is not in custody, a law enforcement official said Monday evening.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/15/explosions-near-finish-of-boston-ma...


Michelle
Offline
Joined: May 10 2001

Just heard about this now - haven't been online much today and stayed home from work to run errands and do stuff.  How awful! :(

If any babblers were in the marathon or have loved ones who were, I hope you're all okay.


NorthReport
Offline
Joined: Jul 6 2008

The right reaction to the Boston Marathon explosions: Remember how unusual they are

Don't let fear amplify the pain of Boston. AP Photo/Charles Krupa 

http://qz.com/74750/the-right-reaction-to-the-boston-explosions-remember...


NorthReport
Offline
Joined: Jul 6 2008

So the US has had quite a good bomb-free run on its own soil, basically since 9/11 until now

A selected list of bombings and attempts in the US

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/a-selected-list-of-bombings-an...


NorthReport
Offline
Joined: Jul 6 2008

Bruins vs. Senators Postponed Following Explosions at Boston Marathon 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1605621-bruins-vs-senators-postponed-...


MegB
Offline
Joined: Nov 28 2001
NorthReport wrote:

President Obama, I think wisely, did not use the "terrorism" word when he addressed the nation this afternoon,  as the word "terrorism" I'm sure to many Americans, means a "foreigner" and there are no public details yet to suggest who are the perpetrators of this crime.

Tragically, another person has now died, raising the death toll to 3, including an 8 year old boy.

Quote:
[Update, 8:55 p.m. ET] A Saudi national with a leg wound was under guard at a Boston hospital in connection with the bombings at the Boston Marathon, but investigators cannot say he is involved at this time and he is not in custody, a law enforcement official said Monday evening.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/15/explosions-near-finish-of-boston-ma...

They have a number of people in critical condition in hospital, so there may well be more deaths. I hope very much that those most seriously injured, if they've made it this far they'll survive.

JKR
Offline
Joined: Jan 15 2005
Left Turn wrote:

One of my Facebook friends pointed out that there were bomb blasts in six provinces in Iraq today, bomb blasts in northern Syria today... Bomb blasts happen somwhere in this world every day, we just don't hear about most of these attacks on the news.

Good point. A lot of people today have been thinking that this incident in Boston is just one small example of the multitude of horrible bombings that are creating a lot of suffering in the world. The horrible bombing in Boston puts into perspective the much greater level of suffering people are enduring in countries such as Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, and Pakistan.


NDPP
Offline
Joined: Dec 28 2008

US Turns to Domestic Extremism as New Counterterrorism Focus

http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/04/15/298376/domestic-threat-new-us-a...

"...American officials are reportedly struggling to invent a new 'counterterrorism' policy, with domestic extremists mentioned as the new focus..."

 

UM Coach: Bomb Sniffing Dogs, Spotters on Roofs Before Explosions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdgNkK23aw

 

This is Spiraling Out of Control. Every News Station Now Blaming Right Wing Christian Conservatives...

http://investmentwatchblog.com/this-is-spiraling-out-of-control-every-ne...


NorthReport
Offline
Joined: Jul 6 2008

This is the latest news and so far no suspects. 17 people are still in critical condition.

 

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/us/boston-marathon-investigation/index.htm...

 


NDPP
Offline
Joined: Dec 28 2008

Boston Bombings

http://popular-resistance.blogspot.ca/2013/04/boston-bombings.html

"At first I thought I should not comment on the Boston bombings as it is obvious that we in Palestine under siege and regular bombardment would clearly sympathize.

But then I saw the usual pundits on mainstream media trying to spin the tragedy to serve racism. The Israeli Consul-General in Boston told the Jerusalem Post that 'Boston is a very quiet and calm place, especially when we come from Israel...Still, the Jewish community and the consulate are on alert and security has been increased.'

He speaks as if re represents Jews of Boston (and only them) and insinuates as usual that problems in Palestine ('Israel') are because of the native 'Arabs' not because of the Zionist colonization. CNN gave extensive time to the Zionist ex-congresswoman Jane Harman, who claimed the terrorist attack is likely linked to Al Qaeda Islamists..."

 

Media Rush to Judgment in Boston  -  by Barry Grey

http://wsws.org/en/articles/2013/04/16/bomb-a16.html

"The explosion of two bombs Monday afternoon at the Boston Marathon has been accompanied by a rush to judgment by the media, in which claims of a broad new terror attack are being made without any factual substantiation..."

 

Erik Rush: Kill All Muslims in Response to Boston Marathon Attack

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/erik-rush-kill-all-muslims-respons...

"...In response, and utterly without any evidence, frequent Fox News contributor Erik Rush tweeted out a message blaming the bombing on Muslim terrorists, saying 'Everybody do the National Security Ankle-Grab! Let's bring more Saudis in without screening them! C'mon #bostonmarathon'

That prompted another Twitter user to chastize Rush for making such unsupported accusations, which prompted Rush to respond with a call for all Muslims to be killed. @bloodonthemike Yes they're evil. Let's kill them all..."


MegB
Offline
Joined: Nov 28 2001
I've been watching the press conferences given by the various law enforcement agencies and have noticed that they repeatedly urge the public to be "cooperative" and to "let us do our job". The repetitive nature of these requests suggests to me that they plan to violate some civil liberties as part of their investigations. I have a bad feeling about this that extends well beyond the event itself.

Slumberjack
Offline
Joined: Aug 8 2005

Rebecca West wrote:
I've been watching the press conferences given by the various law enforcement agencies and have noticed that they repeatedly urge the public to be "cooperative" and to "let us do our job". The repetitive nature of these requests suggests to me that they plan to violate some civil liberties as part of their investigations. I have a bad feeling about this that extends well beyond the event itself.

It likely means, as in all circumstances, that when any of the numerous internal security organizations in the US feels the urge to barge into people's houses in the middle of the night during the course of an investigation, as the border service often does when conducting neighbourhood immigration paper checks, and as the FBI does when activist intimidation raids are launched, folks are to ensure that everyone in the affected households, including infants and children, have their hands raised in the air to where everyone pointing guns at them can see. Bystanders, neighbours, friends and acquaintances, colleagues and classmates, etc; will need to step back and not interfere with their jobs.


Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or register to post comments