Detention of Meng Wanzhou - CFO of Huawei

841 posts / 0 new
Last post
NDPP

Chinese Billionaire Stripped of Australian Residency as 'Foreign Interference' Campaign Ramps Up

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2019/02/07/xian-f07.html

"...The banishment of Huang from Australia represents a major escalation in the steadily developing frenzy over purported Chinese interference and alleged 'Chinese agents of influence' within the country's political, business and academic establishments.

The propaganda campaign is a component of Australia's unconditional alignment with the aggressive US-led military confrontation with China over global dominance...The working class needs to be prepared. A torrent of xenophobia against the Chinese community, allegations of 'Chinese interference' and pro-US militarist propaganda is about to be unleashed."

Meng Wanzhou/Huawei is just the beginning of a Canadian version of this developing Sinophobic geopolitics which is being added to the campaign of official Russophobia ('Russiagate') to which some babblers seem particularly gullible, eg 'Don't Let China Take the World Hostage'. 

WWWTT

NDPP wrote:

Trudeau Denies News Report That His Office Pressed Former Justice Minister to Drop SNC-Lavalin Charges

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2019/02/07/prime-minister-justi...

"...Asked how Canadians can believe the Liberal government's claims of never politicizing the judical system which it has repeated in the Meng Wanzhou extradition case...Trudeau insisted that 'we have been consistent that Canada is a country of rule of law that respects the independent judciary and always will. It's something we have stood for on the international stage, it's also something we ensure on the domestic stage..."

Yeah, right. And the farmer hauled another load away.

Ya Justin is really in it now hey?

He looks like a hypocrite. I sense an Ignatieff 2.0 brewing in this fucking clown. It’s very possible that the icm, after if this story grows legs and possibly with other fuck ups, may drop the circus freek side show and crown Scheer as their new icm prom queen.

No way will Jagmeet have any chance with the icm. So no point in kissing their ugly asses, but he’ll try anyways.

NDPP

Huawei 5G Ban (and vid)

https://on.rt.com/9nzr

"US dragging Germany into harmful economic war with China, warns industry head. 'Washington seeks to enforce its China policy upon its allies.'

And will because they are vassals not allies.

Sean in Ottawa

WWWTT wrote:

NDPP wrote:

Trudeau Denies News Report That His Office Pressed Former Justice Minister to Drop SNC-Lavalin Charges

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2019/02/07/prime-minister-justi...

"...Asked how Canadians can believe the Liberal government's claims of never politicizing the judical system which it has repeated in the Meng Wanzhou extradition case...Trudeau insisted that 'we have been consistent that Canada is a country of rule of law that respects the independent judciary and always will. It's something we have stood for on the international stage, it's also something we ensure on the domestic stage..."

Yeah, right. And the farmer hauled another load away.

Ya Justin is really in it now hey?

He looks like a hypocrite. I sense an Ignatieff 2.0 brewing in this fucking clown. It’s very possible that the icm, after if this story grows legs and possibly with other fuck ups, may drop the circus freek side show and crown Scheer as their new icm prom queen. No way will Jagmeet have any chance with the icm. So no point in kissing their ugly asses, but he’ll try anyways.

There is a lot of smoke here. People know there is a fire but the electorate will often ignore smoke, For there to be a serious political problem that would last till October, there would have to be more cold proof than this.

If that coems out then I think many things could happen. Given that Quebec is likely to provide the greatest reaction, I really wish Caron headed the NDP right now.

NDPP

5G Wireless: The Coming Privacy Nightmare

https://youtu.be/84kxMSrSj9I

"Researchers warn that there are potential dangers and unforeseen violations of privacy associated with the new technology..."

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

NDPP wrote:

5G Wireless: The Coming Privacy Nightmare

https://youtu.be/84kxMSrSj9I

"Researchers warn that there are potential dangers and unforeseen violations of privacy associated with the new technology..."

This is a dog bites man story. Vulnerabilities like this are found every day in every computing platform that exists. As far as privacy is concerned, the whole concept is just so 20th century. Once upon a time, people used to be horrified to think that their homes might be bugged, and would pay money to have listening devices removed. Today, they pay for the listening devices, install them, set them up to communicate with their wifi network, and happily ask them what the temperature is, or where they can find a pizza with anchovies on it. Privacy schmivacy.

NDPP

Speak for yourself.

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

NDPP wrote:

Speak for yourself.

Of course I don't use Alexa or Google Assistant or Siri, or Cortana, but I'm an old, curmudgeonly software developer. In most demographics, especially with younger people, these products are very popular, which was my point. Also, whether you like it or not, any information you transmit, using any technology, can and will be intercepted if a group with sufficient resources wants to intercept it.

NDPP

especially with a nicely habituated servile and bourgeois 5 eyes go-along-to-get-along consumer society who pays no attention to the developing security and police state which so relentlessly encroaches and encloses them. Not to mention the implications to health. Never mind whether its Huawei or not. It's enough to make one WEEP...

http://weepinitiative.org/index.html

 

NDPP

There Goes Canada's Moral High Ground And Possibly It's Huawei Case

https://twitter.com/dimitrilascaris/status/1094036720515862529

"Ottawa's rule of law shield amid the international crisis around Meng Wanzhou has been punctured by reports the PMO pressed the former justice minister to intervene in the case of SNC-Lavalin..."

Sean in Ottawa

NDPP wrote:

There Goes Canada's Moral High Ground And Possibly It's Huawei Case

https://twitter.com/dimitrilascaris/status/1094036720515862529

"Ottawa's rule of law shield amid the international crisis around Meng Wanzhou has been punctured by reports the PMO pressed the former justice minister to intervene in the case of SNC-Lavalin..."

The defence could be that the Liberals do not interfere in justice cases unless they have a Liberal political interest or a Liberal's personal economic interest on the line. Just being in the interest of Canada does not mean they would.

NDPP

Chinese Community in Australia Voices Concern Over Xenophobic 'Foreign Interference' Campaign

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2019/02/19/auch-f19.html

"The ever-mounting hysteria over 'Chinese interference' poses immense dangers. 'What happens to Mr Huang today could happen to any of us tomorrow..."

A similar 5 Eyes weaponization of Sinophobia for geopolitical ends is also alive and well and thriving here.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

NDPP wrote:

Chinese Community in Australia Voices Concern Over Xenophobic 'Foreign Interference' Campaign

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2019/02/19/auch-f19.html

"The ever-mounting hysteria over 'Chinese interference' poses immense dangers. 'What happens to Mr Huang today could happen to any of us tomorrow..."

A similar 5 Eyes weaponization of Sinophobia for geopolitical ends is also alive and well and thriving here.

This part of the article caught my attention. McCarthyism on steroids.

The academic noted that if Huang’s involvement in various Australian-Chinese associations was “sufficient to prompt visa-threatening questions of character, then hundreds, maybe thousands of Chinese Australians must now be wondering where Home Affairs intends to draw the line.”

Such concerns are entirely legitimate. As part of its February 7 coverage of Huang’s denial of permanent residency, for example, the Sydney Daily Telegraph published a chilling sidebar which stated:

“In Australia, security agencies estimate there could be anything up to 1,000 agents of influence, ranging from actual spies seeking to gain political insight and details of military and energy projects and infrastructure, through to local Chinese community leaders, university students and associations pushing Beijing’s lines.”

Noops

kropotkin1951 wrote:

 

This part of the article caught my attention. McCarthyism on steroids.

 

 

“In Australia, security agencies estimate there could be anything up to 1,000 agents of influence, ranging from actual spies seeking to gain political insight and details of military and energy projects and infrastructure, through to local Chinese community leaders, university students and associations pushing Beijing’s lines.”

More bogeyman scare-mongering. Just how do they pull up that 1,000 agents of influence number?
I thought it was 25,000-30,000?

 

 

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Indeed the MSM in Australia is as bad as anywhere in the "free" world. Who knows which spook the Sydney Daily Telegraph was quoting.

NDPP

kropotkin1951 wrote:

Indeed the MSM in Australia is as bad as anywhere in the "free" world. Who knows which spook the Sydney Daily Telegraph was quoting.

NDPP wrote:

If so Canadian msm can't be far behind. And the results are all too plain. And simple. 

WWWTT

NDPP wrote:

Chinese Community in Australia Voices Concern Over Xenophobic 'Foreign Interference' Campaign

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2019/02/19/auch-f19.html

"The ever-mounting hysteria over 'Chinese interference' poses immense dangers. 'What happens to Mr Huang today could happen to any of us tomorrow..."

A similar 5 Eyes weaponization of Sinophobia for geopolitical ends is also alive and well and thriving here.

Important issue to discuss!

I’ve started a thread specific to it. Thanks. 

NDPP

US Anti-Huawei Campaign Suffers a Blow

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2019/02/20/huaw-f20.html

"...The key point here, obscured by the growing hysteria over Chinese tech is that the NCSC have nver found evidence of malicious Chinese state cyber activity through Huawei. He described assertions that Chinese technology in any part of a 5G network represented 'unaccountable risks' as 'nonsense."

Mobo2000

RE: Post 667 -- Canadian media not far behind at all:

https://nationalpost.com/news/student-groups-call-for-ottawa-to-investig...

Outside experts supported the call for the federal government to get involved, saying Ottawa has for too long seemingly paid little heed to China’s covert soft-power campaign.

“It does seem to be quite problematic if the Chinese embassy feels it can direct the activities of Chinese students in Canada in ways not consistent with the norms of academic freedoms,” said Charles Burton, a Brock University professor and former Canadian diplomat in Beijing.

If they are using those students to monitor the activities of others at universities, that would be a violation of their diplomatic status and possible grounds for being declared persona non grata — which would have them expelled from Canada, he said.

Given past history, it is hard to believe the embassy’s assertion that it was not involved in the Toronto and McMaster affairs, says author Jonathan Manthorpe, whose just-published book “Claws of the Panda” deals with Beijing’s influence campaign here.

“This appears to be another case where Ottawa should step forward and make clear it will not allow (Chinese Communist Party) agents to mastermind acts of intimidation in Canada,” he said.

NDPP

"Lawyer Richard Kurland asks two good questions:

1. Did Justin Trudeau talk with AG JWR about the Huawei case?

2. Would a Justice Minister who would NOT agree to the extradition of Meng Wanzhou need to be replaced?"

https://twitter.com/DouglasTodd/status/1097615965032873984

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Imagine 11,000 signatures in an on-line petition. I wonder first of all how many of that number are actually Chinese students. Secondly there were 353,262 Chinese international students in Canada in 2015.  I think that there are potentially way more than 3% of the Chinese students who would see these views as offensive and one sided. I am astounded at the ability of the Chinese central committees to get students here to do what they say.

Unionist

Mobo2000 wrote:

Given past history, it is hard to believe the embassy’s assertion that it was not involved in the Toronto and McMaster affairs, says author Jonathan Manthorpe, whose just-published book “Claws of the Panda” deals with Beijing’s influence campaign here.

Panda Claus?

The Red-Yellow Devil is trying to subvert Christmas?

This is no joking matter. Call in the Pope. He knows how to deal with abuse!!

bekayne

Unionist wrote:

Mobo2000 wrote:

Given past history, it is hard to believe the embassy’s assertion that it was not involved in the Toronto and McMaster affairs, says author Jonathan Manthorpe, whose just-published book “Claws of the Panda” deals with Beijing’s influence campaign here.

Panda Claus?

The Red-Yellow Devil is trying to subvert Christmas?

This is no joking matter. Call in the Pope. He knows how to deal with abuse!!

NDPP

US Efforts To Block Huawei Gives China An Advantage

https://t.co/2DqXZe3DOM

"...If Britain, a member of the Five Eyes intelligence sharing group, sees no danger in using Huawei, then the US has lost the case."

NDPP

Huawei Founder Hits Back at US and Canada 

https://youtu.be/SS6_Cn10mn4

"The company's founder has finally spoken up about her case. He deems the arrest a political move and insists that Huawei does not engage in espionage."

NDPP

Trump Advisor Kudlow 'Proud' of Canada, Trudeau For Approach To Huawei Case

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trump-adviser-kudlow-proud-of-canada-tru...

"US President Donald Trump's senior economic adviser gave Canada and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau a symbolic pat on the back Sunday for how the federal government has been 'hanging tough' on the diplomatically delicate extradition case  of senior Huawei Technologies executive Meng Wanzhou.

Larry Kudlow said he's 'proud' of how Canada has handled the Meng matter - a tacit acknowledgment of the diplomatic bind the US Justice Department created for the federal Liberals in December when they asked that the chief financial officer and telecom scion be arrested and held in Vancouver, pending extradition..."
 

Such obedient shit-eating vassals are hard to come by these days. Your Uncle Sam thanks you.  Good doggy Canada! (What an embarrassment. Such pretension. Such abject servility.)

Mobo2000

Jonathan Manthorpe must have friends at the National Post helping him sell his book.   More dire warnings about sharp Panda Claws:

https://nationalpost.com/news/was-pro-huawei-news-conference-independent...

"Han could not be reached for comment. Guo did not respond to telephone messages and emailed questions about the Meng event and possible co-ordination with Chinese officials. China’s embassy also did not answer emailed questions.

There is no direct evidence the women were acting at the behest of Beijing, or even just trying to curry favour with it for business reasons.

But there is mounting concern generally about China’s influence campaign in countries like Canada, much of it executed through the United Front Work Department, a secretive offshoot of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) known to work with ethnic Chinese organizations overseas." ...

"The group seems to have “all the hallmarks” of a front organization to further Beijing’s interests, says Jonathan Manthorpe, whose just-published book, Claws of the Panda, documents China’s influence campaign here.

In the midst of a “political offensive by the Beijing regime,” he cautioned, people should remember that such organizations do not represent Chinese-Canadians.

“All but a tiny handful of Canadians of Chinese heritage are here because they do not wish to be ruled or controlled by the CCP,” said Manthorpe."

 

WWWTT

Hi Mobo2000

I was going to suggest posting the above comment in the demonization of China thread. But you spent so much time on it that you must feel strongly it belongs in this thread.  Good read thanks!

Mobo2000

Hey WWWTT -- I mainly wanted to put it under the other National Post article.  Definitely agree its a prime example of ICM/MSM demonization of China and could have been in that thread.

NDPP

'Ask Snowden': Huawei Exec Pokes Fun at US Spying During Tech Show

https://on.rt.com/9p4u

"Prism, Prism, on the wall, who's the most trustworthy of them all?' If you don't understand that, you can go ask Edward Snowden,' he added, referring to the former NSA contractor-turned-exiled whistleblower who exposed the extensive US government surveillance program in 2013..." 

Touche! In light of the SNC Lavalin revelations, one wonders why Huawei didn't just offer to cut Trudeau a big fat cheque. So much for Canada's 'rule of law'. Like so many other fondly held illusions here, a false front on a vacant lot.

Noops

Jody Wilson-Raybould's testimony today makes a total mockery of Trudeau's previous statements that the government would never interfere politically in legal cases (Huawei).

 

WWWTT

According to this article, Trump will be in Barcelona tomorrow to sign some kind of law forever banning HuaWei from the US

https://www.scmp.com/tech/enterprises/article/2185428/us-tech-supremacy-and-millions-jobs-stake-if-china-gains-5g-lead

WWWTT

Noops wrote:

Jody Wilson-Raybould's testimony today makes a total mockery of Trudeau's previous statements that the government would never interfere politically in legal cases (Huawei).

 

I suspect when Ms Meng’s trials start, it’s going to to seriously hurt the liberals.  But we’ll see what happens, no shortage of ignorant voters in Canada. 

NDPP

Given the new AG Canada was chosen to correct the deficiencies of the previous one and given that Justin is predisposed to please Uncle Donald or big business friends such as SNC, by any means necessary,  I think it highly likely this AG whose ultimate decision on the extradition request it is, at least formally, will almost certainly deliver up Meng WanZhou to the tender mercies of Washington as 'requested'. Only if things go well in US/China trade talks and DT is sufficiently propitiated, may the word come down from on high to the Canadian vassals to let her go.

WWWTT

Ya it’s probably also tied in with North Korea. 

Trump needs something to run on. Something to really stick it to the self proclaimed progressives in the US. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if the US had something to do with the SNC-LAVALIN fiasco to set up Justin  And after the liberals lose in October, Meng flies back to China, Korea signs a peace treaty and sanctions are lifted on the NK, Korean unification talks begin and Trump gets Re elected in 2020  

 

NDPP

'I don't envy Chrystia Freeland having to tell the government of China that we don't interfere with judicial process in Canada.'

https://twitter.com/DavidHeap/status/1101128983587049472

"I wouldn't envy most people in that position, but for an accomplished hypocrite who lectures Venezuela about human rights while selling arms to Saudi Arabia, it really should be second nature. Just part of the job she does for Justin Trudeau's Liberal Party gov't."

WWWTT

Hey NDPP here’s some further speculation to build on.

I’ve always felt that the liberals and Justin’s biggest problems were with their failed diplomacy with China. The cbc and other Canadian icm outlets created distractions to divert away from China, every single time!

The arrest of Ms Meng sent huge shockwaves around the world scarring the shit out of corporations and countries considering doing/continuing trade with Canada.
After all, who wants to do trade with a country if they are known to all of a sudden arrest senior executives for some other country, the US.
I still believe the big story is HuaWei, not SNC-LAVALIN. I suspect SNC-Lavalin is an intentional icm overblown reaction to get rid of Justin because China, where the real money is (hundreds of billions in contracts) isn’t allowed out of the demonization penalty box just yet

NDPP

"Here's the statement from Canada's Justice Department approving the extradition process for Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou. The deadline for approval was today. Meng's previously scheduled court date remains March 6."

https://twitter.com/joannachiu/status/1101584191492362241

"Canada is a country governed by the rule of law [Except if you're SNC Lavalin with a PM in your pocket!]. Today, Department of Justice Canada officially issued an Authority to Proceed, formally commencing an extradition process in the case of Ms Meng Wanzhou...The next stage in the case is as follows: The BC Supreme Court has scheduled an appearance date for March 6, 2019 at 10:00 am to confirm that an Authority to Proceed has been issued and to schedule the date for the extradition hearing."

And here's the response from Meng's defense team:

"We are disappointed that the Minister of Justice has decided to issue an Authority to Proceed in the face of the political nature of the US charges and where the President of the United States has repeatedly stated that he would interfere in Ms Meng's case if he thought it would assist the US negotiators with China over a trade deal.

We are also concerned that the Minister has approved an ATP in circumstances where the conduct alleged to be an offence in the US would not be an offence in Canada. This is an affront to the foundational extradition principle of double criminality.

Our client maintains that she is innocent of any wrongdoing and that the US prosecution and extradition constitutes an abuse of the processes of law. Our client looks forward to having her rights vindicated in the judical phase of the extradition process."

 

 

WWWTT

Ya and where's the Canadian media on this?

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
We are also concerned that the Minister has approved an ATP in circumstances where the conduct alleged to be an offence in the US would not be an offence in Canada.

Fact:  fraud is an offence in Canada.

NDPP

Silly lawyers.

WWWTT

Ok here's some Canadian icm version

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-canada-allows-extraditi...

https://www.cp24.com/news/canada-begins-formal-extradition-process-for-h...

But the time signitures on them clearly indicate the US icm break this story first!

NDPP

What Are the Implications of Huawei CFO's Arrest By Canada On Behalf of the US?

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-implications-of-Huaweis-CFOs-arrest-b...

February 25, 2019: A Dozen Reasons Why the Canadian Minister of Justice, Jody Wilson-Raybould, Should Release the Huawei CFO, Meng Wanzhou: [Perhaps she would have?]

"It's becoming more and more obvious in the media (social, anti-social and other) that the request for Sabrina Meng Wanzhou's extradition is bogus..."

WWWTT

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Quote:
We are also concerned that the Minister has approved an ATP in circumstances where the conduct alleged to be an offence in the US would not be an offence in Canada.

Fact:  fraud is an offence in Canada.

Technically, in Canada, because Canada does not have the same trade embargos against Iran, what Meng allegedly said can not be ruled on by any Canadian court. Her detention even in itself goes against the Charter of rights and freedoms

Unionist

WWWTT wrote:

Technically, in Canada, because Canada does not have the same trade embargos against Iran, what Meng allegedly said can not be ruled on by any Canadian court.

It was alleged fraud - not breaking embargoes. And Canadian courts can't rule on it because they have nothing to do with a Chinese citizen making fraudulent claims in New York in 2013 to some U.S. bankers (at least, that's the allegation).

Quote:
Her detention even in itself goes against the Charter of rights and freedoms

Oh, no kidding. Which section of the Charter would that be?

cco

Doing business with the US isn't a crime in Canada, but a company that sells an American-made product with "Made in Canada!" on it is still committing fraud.

Unionist

cco wrote:
Doing business with the US isn't a crime in Canada, but a company that sells an American-made product with "Made in Canada!" on it is still committing fraud.

If a Spanish company sells an American-made product in India (only) with "Made in Canada" on it - and an executive of that Spanish company is visiting Canada - do you think Canadian courts have jurisdiction to try her for fraud? Serious question, cco. I'm trying to understand your post.

NDPP

"...Asked by a state media journalist if it was contradictory for Mr Trudeau to say he couldn't interfere in Ms Meng's case and yet his government stands accused of trying to intervene in the SNC-Lavalin case, [China] Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said he 'really liked the question.'

'Of course I think that this is a question that should be asked of the Canadian government,' Mr Lu said. 'In fact in this case you have mentioned, people in Canada are paying it a great deal of attention,' he added. 'In fact not only Chinese and Canadian citizens, but the whole world is extremely interested to hear how the Canadian government answers the question.."

From the Glob link @ #693 above. Delightful...But in all seriousness, the PM has so drawn into disrepute his government on the issue of obstruction of justice and  due process, that the presiding judge should dismiss the Meng matter on that basis alone - not to mention the expressed Trump intentions to interfere in Meng's case depending on his satisfaction with the US-China trade negotiations. These are the actions of mafiosi not credible justice systems.

Unionist

NDPP wrote:

But in all seriousness, the PM has so drawn into disrepute his government on the issue of obstruction of justice and  due process, that the presiding judge should dismiss the Meng matter on that basis alone - not to mention the expressed Trump intentions to interfere in Meng's case depending on his satisfaction with the US-China trade negotiations. These are the actions of mafiosi not credible justice systems.

I think you've stated the key issue concisely and convincingly.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
"...Asked by a state media journalist if it was contradictory for Mr Trudeau to say he couldn't interfere in Ms Meng's case and yet his government stands accused of trying to intervene in the SNC-Lavalin case, [China] Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said he 'really liked the question.'

If the answer to that question is "yes, it's contradictory" then the followup question would surely be "so if he inappropriately interfered in the SNC-Lavalin case, can we expect him to also inappropriately interfere in the Meng case?"

Pages