Russia

411 posts / 0 new
Last post
6079_Smith_W

Fidel wrote:

I'll bet you won't see very many Americans with anti-Bush t-shirts or anti-U.S. Military paraphernalia in general as a result of it all.

Are you kidding?

When is the last time you even crossed the border? Or do you not dare because obviously you are on their top 10 hit list?

Fidel

I cross all the time and haven't seen any anti-government t-shirts. Of course, the state I visit is a Republican stronghold and enjoying sky-high high unemployment rates and poverty in general.

He Kept His Shirt On -- And Got Arrested Crossgates Mall shopper charged after refusing to take off shirt with peace slogan 2003

Because peaceful protest is highly discouraged in a right-to-warfiteering country.

howeird beale

Fidel wrote:

The USA is the world's most prolific jailer of its own citizens on either a per capita or sum total basis. 

 

Common Dreams wrote:

The report says China easily operates the most stringent capital punishment regime, with an estimated 3,400 executions last year. In second place, Iran executed at least 159, Vietnam at least 64, and 59 prisoners were put to death in the US.

 

China Leads Death List as Number of Executions Around the World Soars

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0405-07.htm

 

6079_Smith_W

@ Fidel #102

Well you'd probably get a similar limited view of things driving across the Canadian border in much of this country.

But your claim that no one dares make any visible signs of protest against the U.S. government?

Nonsense. And I have seen enough of it myself to know that it is nonsense.

 

Fidel

howeird beale wrote:

Fidel wrote:

The USA is the world's most prolific jailer of its own citizens on either a per capita or sum total basis. 

 

Common Dreams wrote:

The report says China easily operates the most stringent capital punishment regime, with an estimated 3,400 executions last year. In second place, Iran executed at least 159, Vietnam at least 64, and 59 prisoners were put to death in the US.

 

China Leads Death List as Number of Executions Around the World Soars

">http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0405-07.htm

Human Rights Violations: America versus China 

The corporate-sponsored U.S. Military regime tends to murder a lot more people when touring other countries. Apparently the more the U.S. Military privatizes and outsources to privateers, Al Qa'eda mercenaries for hire etc, the higher the body count abroad. I can't figure out whether it's intentional or not. I think it probably is part of the central war planning strategy. You'd think the CPC in Beijing might be worried about the body count gap and U.S. lead in that dept., tho.

Fidel

What about all those American citizens thrown in prison for protesting the U.S. Army School of the Americas/University of Terror? What about their right to peaceful protest without fear of being thrown in the gulag? What about Bradley Manning's right to insist on a modicum of transparency and accountability with respect to the murdering U.S. Military dictatorship? It doesn't appear to be a very democratic setup if you ask me.

6079_Smith_W

Are you all that surprised that someone jumping a fence onto a military base might wind up doing time? If so, I think you're probably more surprised than the person who did it..

On the other hand, there is this little incident, which also took place in an airport Homeland Security zone.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/naked-tsa-protester-cleared-of-indecency...

Do I think governments try to restrict protest and free speech? Absolutely. You see examples of that everywhere. But to imply that it barely exists in the U.S.? Bullshit.

howeird beale

The fact is, Fidel, your points arent even that interesting. Everybody already knows what a false flag is, and they sure didn't learn it from you. I knew about the Gulf of Tonkin waaaaaaaay back. its nothing revelatory to any of the tiny group of people who wind up on this site.

Everyone knows the US has its fingers in lots of dirty places. Who are you instructing with this news? I've been an activist since about 1985.

What no one buys is this Leninist garbage that Beijing and Moscow and Tehren are beacons of light and goodness and justice. I dont have to want an invasion of any of these places to realize that their leadership is just as bereft of care regarding the masses, the environment and peace as our western rulers.

The one living in a fools paradise ain't us, its YOU.

Its like saying "how can you say Bernardo was bad!?!?! Manson was way worse!!!"

Uh, yeah, but that doesn't mean I have to pick my favorite asshole. I have contempt for Beijing, I have contempt for Washington, and i have contempt for Putin.

The saddest thing is, America is over. We're already living in the age of Chinese hegemony, and have been for at least ten years now.

You're raving at a corpse.

Fidel

6079_Smith_W wrote:

Are you all that surprised that someone jumping a fence onto a military base might wind up doing time? If so, I think you're probably more surprised than the person who did it..

So why don't they issue civilian passes? What do they have to hide? Fort Benning is actually a dual-use military base and terrorist training camp. How many people realize that SOA graduates are trained to rape, torture and murder civilians? I'll bet very many people are unaware of it. It's not something the US Military dictatorship likes to broadcast very much, and so the protesters are promptly arrested and jailed for merely walking in to the "military base."

And if they are so choosy about who walks on to a military base, then how would they explain this guy to the public? Why are Al Qa'eda hijacking trainers allowed to come and go from your ordinary runofthemill U.S. Military bases as if a game of hippityhop at the barber shop while peaceful SOA protesters are given the gears like this? It surely makes no sense for even the most impenitent apologists for the military dictatorship.

Winston Smith wrote:
Do I think governments try to restrict protest and free speech? Absolutely. You see examples of that everywhere. But to imply that it barely exists in the U.S.? Bullshit.

What are you trying to have me say now? I think you are confused again.

6079_Smith_W

Well I am confused that you would use that act of civil disobedience as evidence for your claim that the U.S. has scared its people into being afraid to protest. It seems to me your examples illustrate exactly the opposite point.

For that matter, I don't think that even greater oppression than the U.S. has meted out has ever stopped resistance and protest.

Back to Russia though, unfortunately it looks like U.S. propagandists have forced the government to react in a way that makes them look bad again. They are sooooo crafty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19293465

I'm sure it has nothing to do with that fine figure Vladimir Putin cuts when he is all decked out in leather on that bike of his.

 

Slumberjack

Descriptions of various geo-political circumstances are pretty much all we're left with. I think any critique today that incidentally attempts to elevate one system or party over another is pointless. For me it would be like saying the Catholics are so bad that I feel compelled to go and see what the Southern Baptists are doing this Sunday. On the other hand it should be seen as a primal intuition of self defence when people maintain a wary eye for the latest predatory manoeuvring of a global economy that stokes reaction everywhere, and that continuously perpetuates and strengthens itself as a result. It seems to me that the real political question resides in discovering ways to extract ourselves from this destructive tautology that excels in keeping us wound up.

Fidel

6079_Smith_W wrote:

Well I am confused that you would use that act of civil disobedience as evidence for your claim that the U.S. has scared its people into being afraid to protest. It seems to me your examples illustrate exactly the opposite point.

The cosmetic government under Obama has prosecuted more whistleblowers(read protesters) than all other cosmetic U.S. governments combined. Whistleblowers are treated differently than those American citizens protesting government-Wall Street corruption and training of right wing death squads at the School of the Americas/University of Terror.

And Americans considered a threat to the Military dictatorship are simply murdered by presidential order.

And then there are U.S. social activists, environmentalists and anti-war groups who are spied on constantly by the shadow government. We all remember what George Washington said about corporate-government collusion - that democracy should more appropriately be referred to as corporatism because it's a merger of state and corporate power. And that guy never told a lie.

I think you could be right, Americans actually don't have time to be fearful of their own government because they need to get their act together and take advantage of their rights to protest because, as you say, what's stopping them other than a wide range of threats against ordinary Americans from being labelled "domestic terrorists" and spied on by Uncle Sam and private telcos to being named on secret U.S. Government kill lists. 

Who's afraid of the big bad wolf, you ask? Everybody knows that Americans are afraid of their government. It's evident in their limbo-low voter turnouts and mistrust of government in general. More than a third of them believe federal officials under Bush were embroiled in a cover-up regarding the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Most Americans want all the troops out of Iraq, but they also know that U.S. Government rarely if ever does what the true majority of Americans want.

Oh yeah, Russia again. Enough about vicious empire central, let's get back to Russia - that country which refused to rubberstamp a luftwaffe attack in support of Al CIA'duh mercenaries on the ground and this time in Syria.

ElizaQ ElizaQ's picture

Fidel wrote:

ElizaQ wrote:
Well if saying they support Pussy Riot is the only evidence needed of them being behind it as in plot, then I guess people like Madonna and Sting and whoever else around the world has thrown in their support must be in on it too.  Wonder how communication is coordinated.

Ever hear of "non-governmental organizations"? They are supposed to operate at arm's length from U.S. Government, but they aren't very good at covering-up their ties to Uncle Sam. 

They've been funding the political opposition in Russia for a long time. If foreign governments were to ever fund political opposition in the U.S., or even the Dixie Chicks, people would be thrown in prison left and right. FYI funding political opposition or protest groups in the USA is illegal under a host of old U.S. sedition laws and now with the expansion of repressive anti-protest laws under Homeland "Security." The USA does it all the time with the intent of overthrowing foreign governments. The Yanks would consider it an act of war if it happened in America and likely pin the blame on some oil-rich nation as a result.

So? This isn't new info, governments, US included have been doing such things since history was history.  This proves nothing related to Pussy Riot. You're assuming. 

Fidel

I think it's a very different Great Game in Asia than the one the U.S. is used to playing. They could lose this one. I think they will lose this one and should better focus on preparing for a new international reserve currency. What's left of the vicious empire will not be influential enough to maneuver against a Russia-Sino-Indian alliance. 

Fidel

I don't believe Moscow or Beijing have ever funded political opposition in Washington. If it did occur, we can bet there would people arrested lickity split and thrown so deep into a U.S. gulag they would need air pumping to them. As far as anyone cal tell only the one percent U.S. oligarchs are allowed to buy presidential candidates.

Slumberjack

I think the issue ElizaQ is that any assumption proven true wouldn't come as a surprise.  Its a demonstrated fact that the system we have permits all possibilities for itself.

6079_Smith_W

Slumberjack wrote:

I think the issue ElizaQ is that any assumption proven true wouldn't come as a surprise.  Its a demonstrated fact that the system we have permits all possibilities for itself.

That sounds like "you can't prove that god DIDN'T create the world in seven days" to me.

And from where I sit, that line of reasoning is baseless slander against allies. Never mind Fidel trying to deflect us away from the actual topic of this thread with his newsflashes about how bad the Americans are.

Maybe we can start by explaining what political values Vladimir Putin supports that makes him our ally, and those who oppose him our enemies. I expect I'll hear something about him propping up Assad, but I can't wait to hear what else you guys might come up with - like a stirring defense of the Russian Orthodox church and its good work, considering that is where the American agents struck. And cutting down a cross with a chainsaw. Counter revolutionary - obviously.

Darn those Imperialist gay pride marchers, anyway.

 

Slumberjack

6079_Smith_W wrote:
That sounds like "you can't prove that god DIDN'T create the world in seven days" to me.

The difference is that one contention comes with a track record that can be examined or debated to an extent consistent with facts that may be tabled.

Quote:
And from where I sit, that line of reasoning is baseless slander against allies. 

No, I think you can separate the two issues just as easily as obfuscation naturally occurs to some.

NDPP

Up To 3 Years: Pussy Riot Copycats Booted from German Cathedral, May Face Jail (and vid)

http://rt.com/news/pussy-riot-support-germany-111/

"Four people who stormed Germany's Cologne Cathedral during services wearing masks and carrying signs showing solidarity with the jailed members of Pussy Riot, have been charged with disturbing a religious service and may face prison..."

6079_Smith_W

Track record, SJ?

You mean a string of murdered journalists on the CIA payroll? Neon balaclavas sent over in a diplomatic pouch?

Come on. I can use that kind of pretzel logic to conjure up Andrea Dworkin doing deals with the Pope. THat doesn't make it true.

But I guess if you're talking conspiracy theories or religion all you have to do is claim that it is possible, and that means that it is obviously true.

 

Bec.De.Corbin Bec.De.Corbin's picture

NDPP wrote:

Up To 3 Years: Pussy Riot Copycats Booted from German Cathedral, May Face Jail (and vid)

http://rt.com/news/pussy-riot-support-germany-111/

"Four people who stormed Germany's Cologne Cathedral during services wearing masks and carrying signs showing solidarity with the jailed members of Pussy Riot, have been charged with disturbing a religious service and may face prison..."

How dumb was that? They should have pulled that stunt off at the Russian embassy... also the Cologne Cathedral is Roman Catholic, the Pussy Roit church was Russian Orthadox; there's a bit of a difference. Silly protesters.

Fidel

6079_Smith_W wrote:

Maybe we can start by explaining what political values Vladimir Putin supports that makes him our ally, and those who oppose him our enemies.

Well for one, Russia has vetoed a number of U.S.-led medieval sanctions and resolutions for military attacks against Syria. 

Secondly, Putin's Russia isn't aiding and abetting Al Qa'eda terrorism in Syria. That's more than apologizing apologizers for imperialism can say for Uncle Sam and his morally and financially bankrupt allies in Europe the same.

And lastly, the Syrians have support from about 30 other nations representing more than half the world's population in Asia. 

That Russia and the 30 nation consultative conference on Syria is opposed to murdering Syrians, and in the style and manner that Libya was bombed by NATO in creating the current Al Qa'eda stronghold in the maghreb, has to count for something in the plus column if you're asking me and several other anti-imperialist babblers on the matter.

All those opposed to Al CIA'duh terrorism in Syria say aye. 

6079_Smith_W

*Yawwwwwwwn*

Yes, so Putin has interests in Syria. God knows how I managed to predict you were going to bring that one up.

 

ygtbk

Fidel wrote:

We all remember what George Washington said about corporate-government collusion - that democracy should more appropriately be referred to as corporatism because it's a merger of state and corporate power. And that guy never told a lie.

Hi Fidel, nice to have you back. So far as I know that's a dodgy attributed-to-Mussolini quote with Fascism crossed out and democracy written in in crayon, not something that George Washington ever said. See:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Benito_Mussolini

6079_Smith_W

Fidel wrote:

Shove it up your ass sideways, fucktard.

Well if that's the way you want to play it, hope you brought some cotton candy-flavoured lube for the rim job afterwards.

But frankly, I don't think anyone else is interested in your flirting.

 

6079_Smith_W

dp

Bec.De.Corbin Bec.De.Corbin's picture

6079_Smith_W wrote:

Fidel wrote:

Shove it up your ass sideways, fucktard.

Well if that's the way you want to play it, hope you brought some cotton candy-flavoured lube for the rim job afterwards.

But frankly, I don't think anyone else is interested in hearing about your sexual overtures.

Well, I just want to know why it has to be shoved up sideways, that and what is in fact "it"?...Tongue out

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

Break it up, lads. And pocket the frathouse homophobic humour while you're at it, yes?

6079_Smith_W

What's homophobic, CF?

And how does my pointing out I am not shocked by gutter humour make me part of the frat house? Hey if you prefer I'll pretend to faint and flag it the mods to deal with next time.

And since you mention it, I just got called a fucktard. I'm not sure what that means, but I think it's probably not all that nice, and also a discriminatory reference to one or two things.

 

 

 

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

Winston, my request was meant for you, Bec and Fidel. I'm sure you know it's homophobic to joke about forced intercourse between men. If not, it doesn't matter. Just stop the whole nonsense now and get back to the subject, please.

 

6079_Smith_W

Yes, CF. I understand now that oral, anal, and anything other than the missionary position has a trademark on it.

Next time someone calls me a fucktard I will respond via the proper channels. 

And excuse me for detracting form the seriousness of the subject matter. Perhaps it was that helicopter dildo or the chicken sex that got me all carried away..

 

Bec.De.Corbin Bec.De.Corbin's picture

Got it CF.

I think it would be nice if the Russian Orthadox church asked that Pussy Roit's sentence be reduced to time served. After all that would be the "Christain" thing to do. Let God deal with them in the here after if he's/she's/it's still pissed at them.

I think I'm going to take a break posting for a while. People are starting to get too thin skinned around here (not really in THIS thread but others) and are nit picking to cry foul on others.

Have a great week everyone... I'm out of here.

onlinediscountanvils

Bec.De.Corbin wrote:

I think it would be nice if the Russian Orthadox church asked that Pussy Roit's sentence be reduced to time served. After all that would be the "Christain" thing to do.

 

Quote:

"We did forgive them from the very start. But such actions should be cut short by society and authorities," said the cleric, who heads Moscow's Sretensky Monastery.

Archpriest Maxim Kozlov agreed, but he also said on state TV that his church hopes the young women and their supporters change their ways.

"We are simply praying and hoping that these young women and all these people shouting in front of the court building, committing sacrilegious acts not only in Russia but in other countries, realize that their acts are awful," he said. "And despite this the church is asking for mercy within the limits of law."

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Pussy+Riot+should+granted+mercy+Russian+...

NDPP

America's Long-Standing Campaign to Destabilize Russia  - by Erik Draitser

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=32442

"...it becomes clear that there are politicized and geopolitical interests behind the scenes, that are actively working to destabilize Russia, with violence as their most potent weapon. The attacks are not simply isolated terrorist actions, buyt rather, cnynically orchestrated events carried out by well-connected criminal networks whose goal is to foment conflict and carry out the agenda of the US intelligence establishment in its subversion of Russia.

There has been a sustained 'destabilization campaign waged by the West, particularly the US, and aimed at President Putin. The attempt by the Western imperialists has been to isolate Putin, demonize him, and erode his support within the country in hopes of toppling his government, thereby removing  the biggest obstacle they face in implementing their hegemonic agenda.."

no surprise therefore to find, as revealed by Land Destroyer's Tony Cartalucci, that  Pussy Riot's support campaign is spearheaded by Oksana Chelysheva of the US State Department-funded 'Russian-Chechan Friendship Society', a clearing house for Chechan terrorist propganda. This is the real reason why Western media outlets have given this story their maximum saturation-bombing...

Fidel

Eric Draitser wrote:
The common thread that unites the above mentioned achievements of President Putin is an unwillingness to be subservient to the United States.  Putin has become, in the eyes of the Western imperialist ruling class, the unruly little brother who must be taught a lesson by force.  And so, innocent Russians must pay with their lives for the hubris of these imperialists.  As has been clearly demonstrated in Syria, Iran, Pakistan and countless other places around the world, terrorism remains the favorite weapon in the arsenal of the ruling class in the West.  The attacks in Ingushetia and Dagestan are merely the latest example of this. Surely, they will not be the last.

The west and particularly the USA is the largest source of state support for terrorism around the world.

Al Qa'eda = Al CIA'da

NDPP

The Secret History of Pussy Riot

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/08/23/the-secret-history-of-pussy-riot/

"Hitting the commercial jackpot. But what are they?"

onlinediscountanvils

Israel Shamir wrote:

The Secret History of Pussy Riot

 

If anyone should know a thing or two about secret histories it's a guy who has reportedly been known by at least a half dozen different names and has a long history of making anti-semitic statements and cozying up with the racist Right.

6079_Smith_W

So what's the actual meat there, NDPP?

They have collaborated with someone who is Russian-Israeli, and someone (who for some reason) it is necessary to point out is Jewish.

Is anyone else's ethnic background mentioned?

It's kind of funny to see him turn into an art critic and a defender of the Russian Orthodox church because he has nothing else to use as a foil against them. He must have chewed pencils all night trying to twist that one into shape.

 

NDPP

Pussy Riot 2.0: German Catholic Church Charges Copycats (and vid)

http://rt.com/news/pussy-riot-cologne-cathedral-463/

"Three years in prison have become a closer prospect for some German followers of Russian punk band Pussy Riot..."

Fidel

6079_Smith_W wrote:

@ Fidel #102

Well you'd probably get a similar limited view of things driving across the Canadian border in much of this country.

But your claim that no one dares make any visible signs of protest against the U.S. government?

Nonsense. And I have seen enough of it myself to know that it is nonsense.

Double nonsense. And for the record you are the one who introduced the word 'dare' into this. While it is stupefyingly obvious that many Americans dare to protest, it is equally obvious that they do so at their peril. And so I will now introduce the word consequences for those daring to protest in America. And the reason there are consequences is that protests are highly discouraged. Without consequences American protesters would exercise their democratic right to protest more frequently to the chagrin of the corrupt stoogeaucracy and their constituents financing political campaigns, the one percent. And they make a habit of announcing that they are ready to react with violence even before a protest against Club de Gladio. Notice one woman's signage stating that Orwell's 1984 was not supposed to be an instruction manual.

Protests are peachy in Russia and the NATO spring countries and those sovereign nations where the U.S. Military Government funds sedition and terrorism while neoliberal ideologues sabotage national economies since 1991. On the other hand, protest in the USSA is highly discouraged by the kleptocracy.

Video news report describing how Ray McGovern(beaten and arrested while wearing T-shirt with peace slogan) and other peace activists were beaten by police and carted off to Quantico as Hillary squawks about peaceful protesters being beaten in Egypt and other NATO spring countries and just being a visually oxymoronic example of U.S. hypocrisy as per usual.

Occupy Wall Street: police violence reveals a corrupt system

Need I go on? Your anecdotal evidence seems to wither when contrasted with what is actually happening in America. And plenty more where that came from. Which state are you visiting btw, Nebraska? It appears that peaceful and silent protests are highly discouraged in the USSA. Activists in U.S. client states  aren't doing so well, either.  It is obvious to even the most semi-conscious observer that if these people dare protest, they do so with a higher than average likelihood that the state will react with violence, arrests and imprisonment in what is the most prolific jailer nation in the world.

NDPP

Pussy Riot, the CIA and Cultural Terrorism  -  by Andre Fomine

http://dissidentvoice.org/2012/08/pussy-riot-the-cia-and-cultural-terror...

"...For the last weeks the destiny of three mediocre Russian clown-girls has been the focus of public attention worldwide. The international brain-washing media machine has turned a paltry incident in Moscow into a scandal of global scale.."

'there's a sucker born every minute' PT Barnum

onlinediscountanvils

Fidel wrote:

It appears that peaceful and silent protests are highly discouraged

 

Quite the opposite, actually. Governments tend to love any display of dissent as long as it doesn't pose any serious threat to their own power. To call oneself a democracy, all one has to do is allow groups of people to carry banners down the street on a Saturday afternoon, and offer them a choice of Coke or Pepsi every four years.

Fidel

They protest in China. Tens of thousands of protests every year. Same with the former Yugoslavia and Serbia under neoliberal lapdogs, like the former Slobodan Milosevic, and the same protests were reported on with distortion of facts in news commentaries published by western newspapers and broadcasters alike.

In the past the USA's "mainstream" news media dealt with protests in America by underreporting anti-war protests and tended to deal themselves out of reporting on the fighting in general. We've been relying on independent news journalism to report on hot and cold wars ever since. And while lamestream newz media has tended to underreport on protests in America and downsize protest numbers, they took great care in reporting on protests in the former Soviet Union and in many cases propagandized the hell out of events in the former USSR. 

Protesters swarmed cities in America and Europe during Vietnam era through to the fascist aggressions against Afghanistan and Iraq in the 2000s. And they swarmed the streets again in protest of corruption on Wall Street and banksters with revolving door access to Washington.

Protests in America haven't amounted to any significant change since the Vietnam war, a war in which the US Military was viewed by the world to not be supporting the wrong side, they were the wrong side. And the U.S. is losing the propaganda war today while a criminal regime in Washington continues violating Nuremberg code and international law regardless of world opinion and even public opinion at home.  The corruption and crimes of the state are ongoing. Americans are spied on and monitored by the military government far more extensively than the STASI or KGB ever did against Germans or Russians. It's said that in France the government is afraid of the people. In America, the largest jailer nation in the world and most prolific torturer of Americans as well as foreign nationals,  it's the other way around. 

Ken Burch Ken Burch's picture

NDPP wrote:

Pussy Riot, the CIA and Cultural Terrorism  -  by Andre Fomine

http://dissidentvoice.org/2012/08/pussy-riot-the-cia-and-cultural-terror...

"...For the last weeks the destiny of three mediocre Russian clown-girls has been the focus of public attention worldwide. The international brain-washing media machine has turned a paltry incident in Moscow into a scandal of global scale.."

'there's a sucker born every minute' PT Barnum

That article was disgusting.  It sounded like it was written by Putin himself.  Please tell me we're not going to start seeing arguments that the Left should ally itself with the most reactionary, antisecular, antisemitic, antidemocratic Christian denomination on the entire planet, the Russian Orthodox Church?  That is the Church that helped abet the pogroms...that did all it could to prevent revolution in Russia and to keep the tsars in power.  No...this is NOT a circumstance in which "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". 

 

Fidel

I believe in Russian, Belarusan, Syrian etc right to protest as long as they are not funded by a foreign military government and one that does not tolerate whistleblowers, like Bradley Manning and Julian Assange among others. Funding Al Qa'eda terrorists marauding into countries like Russia, China and Syria while the corporate-owned newz media cheers them on is also despicable.

Ken Burch Ken Burch's picture

I really, truly doubt Pussy Riot were funded by "foreign military governments".  What, exactly, did they need funding FOR?  It doesn't cost a hell of a lot of money to run into a church and shout slogans.

BTW, I assume you're aware the Putin's "line" is that ALL protest in Russia is simply foreign-orchestrated medding.  Why the hell would you believe THAT guy?  He's just as much of a right-wing imperialist as any U.S. president.

Slumberjack

It doesn't appear that the right to protest is actually a right at all when protests can be ordered shut down whenever they like.  The same applies to the right to strike these days.

Fidel

Ken Burch wrote:

I really, truly doubt Pussy Riot were funded by "foreign military governments".  What, exactly, did they need funding FOR?  It doesn't cost a hell of a lot of money to run into a church and shout slogans.

If foreign governments were to fund political opposition in the U.S., U.S. hawks would have a shit fit about it. NED funding "NGO's" in Russia. 

Russian Opposition Caught Filing into US Embassy in Moscow Remember the reason Putin acted to throw oligarchs in prison in 2003 was because of attempts to bribe members of the Duma. And the money for corrupting officials was not rubles.

What Pussy Riot did would be considered a hate crime in the west. Imagine them running into a mosque or synagogue and doing the same. I imagine they'd be arrested and jailed PDQ.

And this is convenient for deflecting world criticism against the USA and its minions for cracking down on whistleblowers and dissent against the military regime's corruption and general all around lawlessness in the west since 9/11 and banksters and nouveau landed artistocracy overthrowing what was left of democracy in America, UK and Europe.

howeird beale

Ken Burch wrote:

NDPP wrote:

Pussy Riot, the CIA and Cultural Terrorism  -  by Andre Fomine

http://dissidentvoice.org/2012/08/pussy-riot-the-cia-and-cultural-terror...

"...For the last weeks the destiny of three mediocre Russian clown-girls has been the focus of public attention worldwide. The international brain-washing media machine has turned a paltry incident in Moscow into a scandal of global scale.."

'there's a sucker born every minute' PT Barnum

That article was disgusting.  It sounded like it was written by Putin himself.  Please tell me we're not going to start seeing arguments that the Left should ally itself with the most reactionary, antisecular, antisemitic, antidemocratic Christian denomination on the entire planet, the Russian Orthodox Church?  That is the Church that helped abet the pogroms...that did all it could to prevent revolution in Russia and to keep the tsars in power.  No...this is NOT a circumstance in which "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". 

 

 

Indeed. This was particularly charming:

sexist asshole at Dissident Voice wrote:

Dozens of head-masked hot tits were shown in public places to support their Russian pairs.

That's what you link to NDPP? You're a fucking pig.

onlinediscountanvils

Ken Burch wrote:

What, exactly, did they need funding FOR?  It doesn't cost a hell of a lot of money to run into a church and shout slogans.

 

Haha! This reminds me of a local anti-G8 protest that we organized in response to the killing of Carlo Giuliani. The entire protest was hastily organized on a Saturday evening, with the protest happening the following afternoon. The entire budget for the demo was $10 (at most) for sidewalk chalk. However, the Monday after the demo, the host of a local right-wing talk radio show used his entire program to try to convince his listeners that our tiny protest was directly funded through the drug trade and break-and-enters. I guess there was simply no other way to explain how a group of 15-20 people could collectively afford a bucket of sidewalk chalk.

Pages

Topic locked