US elections leading up to and including the 2018 midterm elections

366 posts / 0 new
Last post
NDPP

The New Congress and the Rolling Catastrophe of the US Body Politic

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/01/02/the-new-congress-and-the-rolling...

"The American body politic is in deep malaise with the current administration. But Trump is the symptom not the disease, which is neoliberal rule. Unfortuately, traditional liberalism is also a dead end. With the Democrats and Republicans feeding from the same corporate trough, how different can the two partners be? It's about the 1% vs the rest of us. They laugh as we take their political theater for real."

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

"I lie as usual." Our resident moralist jumps the shark again. You harass anyone that does not buy into the accepted paradigm that you exist in. My views are based on decades of academic level studies of politics and history. But you think my views are "stupid." Gee I wonder why I have a hard time reading your self righteous drivel. I hardly answer you these days except when you attack posters for being not pro-Western enough.

Cody87

Sean in Ottawa wrote:
I think almost all, if not all states are using the tactic. I think the Russians did this and theya re only one of many.

So, many countries tried to influence the election through cyber means.

I'll assume that, at minimum, China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Israel, and several in the EU are on that list.

Why then focus on Russia alone?

If it's because Russia alone supported Trump, and all the other countries supported Clinton, then how do you explain Russia alone having more influence than all those other countries?

Sean in Ottawa

Cody87 wrote:

Sean in Ottawa wrote:
I think almost all, if not all states are using the tactic. I think the Russians did this and theya re only one of many.

So, many countries tried to influence the election through cyber means.

I'll assume that, at minimum, China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Israel, and several in the EU are on that list.

Why then focus on Russia alone?

If it's because Russia alone supported Trump, and all the other countries supported Clinton, then how do you explain Russia alone having more influence than all those other countries?

I think those who want to deny that Russia did this are saying others are focussing on Russia alone. I think many people consider Russia to be one example.

As far as the list of countries trying to influence elecitons through cyber means -- do you think Canada would refrain where Canada identified an interest? I am not so sure. I believe Canada has developed the ability -- it probably considered it defensive and will until (or if) it decides it wants to use it and feels justified in doing so.

Let us not pretend that any country doing so does not also feel justified. So Canada, so far may not have an example where we have, but we are not that different, I think. Canada my not presume to be able to do it in the US but would we try it in Afghanistan? What about an African country where we have an interest in who prevails?

Just as soldiers and guns are considered a given in any country with few exceptions, this may be as well. Each will say it is defensive and might even believe it. Each will feel justified.

All need to pay attention to defend themselves from it.

But you are right in that other countries who may have used it may have done so serving what the Canaidan government agrees to so we may more easily ignore it.

 

Sean in Ottawa

kropotkin1951 wrote:

"I lie as usual." Our resident moralist jumps the shark again. You harass anyone that does not buy into the accepted paradigm that you exist in. My views are based on decades of academic level studies of politics and history. But you think my views are "stupid." Gee I wonder why I have a hard time reading your self righteous drivel. I hardly answer you these days except when you attack posters for being not pro-Western enough.

I don't at all do this. But of course you have trained yourself to read through the lens you want to. You fucking hypocrite.

Why not just refrain from answering? You produce the same predictable misreading every time. It is not needed as it is that predictable and based on your bias rather than on anything that is written.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

The Canadian government has bragged about spending millions in the Ukraine trying to influence their politics and it has also spent money in Afghanistan invading the country to influence their politics. We have also spent money in Syria trying to influence their politics. But hey what is that compared to  the nefarious plot of tweeting nasty things about Hillary?

I love to laugh at the whole Russia-gate thing because it is like a rhino complaining about being stung by an insect after charging through a crowded mall.

josh

Cody87 wrote:

Sean in Ottawa wrote:
I think almost all, if not all states are using the tactic. I think the Russians did this and theya re only one of many.

So, many countries tried to influence the election through cyber means.

I'll assume that, at minimum, China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Israel, and several in the EU are on that list.

Why then focus on Russia alone?

If it's because Russia alone supported Trump, and all the other countries supported Clinton, then how do you explain Russia alone having more influence than all those other countries?

Because as far as we know only Russia broke into a U.S. political party’s computers, and met with representatives of one of the political campaigns in an effort to discredit that campaign’s opponent.  Cyber warfare is further down the list.

wage zombie

kropotkin1951 wrote:

If the Democrats run a old guard candidate against Trump they are going to lose again because most Americans seem to distrust the DNC and many voters loved the Apprentice, especially the dismissals.

I doubt Trump will be running in 2020.

josh

As new House is sworn in, final results from the House election show that Democrats won nearly 10 million more votes than the Republicans.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WxDaxD5az6kdOjJncmGph37z0BPNhV1fNAH_g7IkpC0/htmlview#gid=0

 

WWWTT

kropotkin1951 wrote:

The Canadian government has bragged about spending millions in the Ukraine trying to influence their politics and it has also spent money in Afghanistan invading the country to influence their politics. We have also spent money in Syria trying to influence their politics. But hey what is that compared to  the nefarious plot of tweeting nasty things about Hillary?

I love to laugh at the whole Russia-gate thing because it is like a rhino complaining about being stung by an insect after charging through a crowded mall.

Ya that’s basically putting everything in perspective. I would have added Libya Iraq and NATO myself. And these are only the ones we heard of. You can be sure there are others. 

Perhaps I don’t find the propaganda as humorous as you? It’s to be expected from an imperialist country like Canada. What I find funny is that people believe it. 

NDPP

Russiagate vs Climate Genocide: How Dems Cover Up Trump's Worst Crimes

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/01/03/russiagate-vs-climate-genocide-h...

"...But so corrupt is today's Democratic Party that the very issues on which they could 'nail' Republicans at election time - climate destruction, warmongering, ever worsening economic inequality or corruption by political money - are themselves a profound embarrassment for Democrats as well. So, far better for Dems to pin their anti-Trump stance on something far less discernible, like Trump's purported (but never proven) collusion with Russia..."

josh

Create a straw man-Dems have put all their eggs in one basket-and then proceed to knock it down.  That’s all the ridiculous article does.  

NDPP

The Jimmy Dore Show

https://youtu.be/gL7ikmQB4OU

"Democrat loser bashes Medicare-For-All on CNN"

NDPP

Democrat Elizabeth Warren Enters US Presidential Race

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2019/01/04/warr-j04.html

"The entry of the first major candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination is the beginning of a political fraud that will unfold over the next 673 days, until November 3, 2020. The Democratic Party will pretend to offer a progressive alternative to the politics of racism, reaction and militarism espoused by President Donald Trump...."

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..i was pleasantly surprised to learn about this ferocious advocate. my bold re why the shut down.

Rep. Rashida Tlaib: I Won’t Apologize for My Comments About Trump—I Still Want to Impeach Him

Newly elected Democratic Congressmember Rashida Tlaib of Michigan made headlines last week for declaring, “We’re going to go in there, and we’re going to impeach the motherf***er,” in reference to President Donald Trump. Tlaib made the comment at a Washington, D.C., bar, days after she made history last week when she and Ilhan Omar of Minnesota became the first Muslim women sworn in to Congress. Tlaib is part of the most diverse and most female class of representatives in U.S. history. We speak with Rashida Tlaib in Detroit, Michigan.

quote:

REP. RASHIDA TLAIB: Yeah, look, the Constitution demands me, as a member of Congress, to hold him accountable. This is beyond the Mueller investigation. I don’t think American people understand even the decision not to open up government. Is it because it’s the best interest of the American people, or is it because it has something to do with his corporations and his businesses? Because he hasn’t—as the president of the United States, he has not divested in all of his companies and corporation, here or abroad. And so, a lot of the decisions being made out of the White House, out of the president of the United States’ office, could be made because it’s for profit, because it’s in the best interest of his companies and the bottom line, not the best interest of the American people.

That is very dangerous precedent for us to have someone that is sitting in office as our president that has not divested into any of these corporations and his for-profit entities across the country and the world. And so, it’s really important for the American people to understand, this is a really slippery slope that we cannot allow to continue to go down, because it sets a precedent that we are OK with a president being in office that is collecting money for profit. Like, this is literally corporate greed at its best. We can’t allow that to happen as our president.

quote:

REP. RASHIDA TLAIB: Look, you know, we need to really be focused on the issues here. This is a person that wants to intimidate and bully, from the White House. And I can tell you, look, they, the Republicans, had power over the House and over the Senate, as well as the White House. I don’t understand why we’re now talking about this. This is not about a wall. Very clear about—it really is not. If it was, then they would have done something about it before. This is him distracting us from the fact that he had one of the largest tax breaks for corporations, for the rich, and now he’s trying to figure out how to pay for it. Because, guess what, it looks like it’s going to the low-income, middle-class, working families across this country that’s going to have to pay for it.

But what is important for the folks that are listening to us today is that even if we pass what we sent over—what the House Democrats sent over, and seven Republicans sent over, to the Senate is a bill, is bills that would open up government again. But he doesn’t have to sign it. If it passes through the Senate, then in 10 days it becomes effective. So, we don’t need him.

This is somebody that is not going to care about that worker, about that senior, or even the veteran that I’m going to see in an hour, that is being denied access to services that government is supposed to be about. And so, I don’t understand, you know, this kind of play that he wants to—because this is not a game for us. And it’s really frustrating, continuing to be frustrating for me, upset—upsetting for so many people here in Detroit, in Wayne County communities that I represent, that he is doing something like this versus doing what’s responsible, which is lead with compassion, lead with some sort of sense of responsibility for these people.

These are people that are supposed to be about government. You know, government is not supposed to be about, you know, who is in power or who’s going to do this or that. Really, it’s supposed to be about us. And that’s what’s so increasingly frustrating about some of his actions. And it really is so distracting us from the human impact of this government shutdown right now.

Pages