Venezuela right-wing opposition wins control of National Assembly by a landslide

410 posts / 0 new
Last post
takeitslowly
Venezuela right-wing opposition wins control of National Assembly by a landslide

Al Jazeera's Lucia Newman, reporting from Caracas, said the defeat was a stinging blow to the government.

"This is even more than the opposition had hoped for. It's one of the strongest blows to the socialist revolution in the 17 years since it's been in power."

Fireworks erupted over the capital Caracas as opposition supporters celebrated.

Maduro's United Socialist Party of Venezuela won 46 seats in the single-chamber National Assembly, Lucena said. The results for 22 other seats had not yet been confirmed.

The result strengthens the opposition's hand against Maduro though it was short of the super majority the MUD had hoped for.

"Venezuela has won," tweeted senior opposition leader Henrique Capriles. "We always said this was the way: humility, maturity and serenity."

 

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/12/opposition-wins-majority-venezuela...

Issues Pages: 
Unionist

[url=http://www.thenation.com/article/is-this-the-end-of-the-latin-american-l... This the End of the Latin American Left?[/url]

A very interesting and sobering article.

takeitslowly

no less sobering than the canadian election result.

iyraste1313

" the Latin American left—which, since Chávez’s first election in 1998, has witnessed a remarkable run—is in serious trouble"

I found the Maduro speech particularly fascinating, in his recognition of their failure to build an economy of production, a non oil sustainable economy....truly the dependency of the urban peoples of Venezuela on their capitalist oligarchs is an eyeopener!

To now be addressed and quickly, with the tools still available!

Building a utopia on servicing the needs of the poor, clearly is deficient!
Hopefully progressives will learn from this!

takeitslowly

Hillary celebrated with a Facebook post and a tweet. Srsly

josh

She's a well-known neocon.

In a democracy, you're unlikely to win every election. 17 years is a long time in politics. There were special circumstances in Argentina involving corruption and the unsolved murder of the investigator. I don't think the left is in bad shape at all in Latin America.

swallow

Is a defeat for the ruling party a defeat for the entire left? I don't know if it's desirable for the same party to always be in power. The gains will need to be defended by social movements - and the success of social movements in doing so will be the test of how well the left (when it was in power) managed to institutionalize change. 

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

As I understand it, the last 22 seats have been tallied, and the final total for the Opposition is 109.  That's short of the 112 they'd need for a "supermajority". 

But here's the interesting thing:  the three indigenous seats, if they voted with the Opposition, would add up to 112.  So I'd say those three indigenous representatives could start making a long wish list.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

I almost considered putting this post in the Harper named 49 'future' patronage appointments -- will Trudeau exercise his option to say 'no'?

From HRW:  Venezuela: Curb Plan to Pack Supreme Court

Quote:
Latin American leaders should press Venezuela to suspend plans by outgoing lawmakers to pack the Supreme Court with government supporters, Human Rights Watch said today.

On December 6, 2015, the political opposition won 112 out of 167 seats in the National Assembly. On December 8, the current president of the National Assembly, Diosdado Cabello, said the outgoing National Assembly would appoint Supreme Court justices to fill existing vacancies on the 32-seat court before the newly elected legislators take office on January 5, 2016.

“Venezuela can begin to reverse more than a decade of authoritarian rule by restoring the independence of the Supreme Court,” said José Miguel Vivanco, Americas director at Human Rights Watch. “But this opportunity to restore the court’s role as a check on the executive and a guarantor of basic rights will be squandered if Diosdado Cabello succeeds in his plan to re-pack the court.”

In 2004, a pro-government majority in the National Assembly increased the number of Supreme Court justices from 20 to 32 and appointed government supporters to the new seats, including several who openly pledged their commitment to advancing the government’s political agenda while on the bench. Since then, the court has rejected the principle of separation of powers and repeatedly ruled in favor of the government, validating its growing disregard for human rights.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Any more neo-con imperial propoganda you would like to share Mr. Magoo? Let me summarize the genre you just posted from. 

Left wing government = corrupt dictatorship

 

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Gosh, sorry.  I hadn't realized that Human Rights Watch was just an agent of empire now.

Anyway, any thoughts on Maduro stacking the STJ?  If you feel there's nothing hinky about it, tell us.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

I wouldn't say every thing they publish is crap only most of what they publish about left wing governments in Latin America.

Quote:

That HRW’s advocacy reflects its institutional makeup is unremarkable. Indeed, an examination of its positions on Latin America demonstrates the group’s predictable, general conformity with U.S. interests. Consider, for example, HRW’s reaction to the death of Hugo Chávez. Within hours of his passing on March 5, 2013, HRW published an overview—“Venezuela: Chávez’s Authoritarian Legacy”—to enormous online response. In accordance with its headline’s misleading terminology, HRW never once mentioned Chávez’s democratic bona fides: Since 1998, he had triumphed in 14 of 15 elections or referenda, all of which were deemed free and fair by international monitors. Chávez’s most recent reelection boasted an 81% participation rate; former president Jimmy Carter described the voting process as “the best in the world.”12 The article neglected to cite a single positive aspect of Chávez’s tenure, under which poverty was slashed by half and infant mortality by a third.

https://nacla.org/news/2014/2/4/hypocrisy-human-rights-watch

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

OK, forget them for a moment.  What's YOUR opinion of Maduro stacking the STJ?

Quote:
In accordance with its headline’s misleading terminology, HRW never once mentioned Chávez’s democratic bona fides: Since 1998, he had triumphed in 14 of 15 elections or referenda, all of which were deemed free and fair by international monitors. Chávez’s most recent reelection boasted an 81% participation rate; former president Jimmy Carter described the voting process as “the best in the world.”12 The article neglected to cite a single positive aspect of Chávez’s tenure, under which poverty was slashed by half and infant mortality by a third.

So you feel that a big part of HRW's mandate is to give people pats on the back when they ARE being democratic?

I guess I always thought their thing was pointing out human rights trangressions where they saw them.

Does Canada's HRT spent at least half of its time going around congratulating landlords who DO rent to POC, and employers who DO hire lesbians and so on?

Why not just address what's right there, right now?  Given the results of Sunday's election in Venezuela, is this an appropriate time for Maduro's government to try to fill the STJ with supporters?  What HRW has to say isn't nearly as interesting to me as what you have to say.

laine lowe laine lowe's picture

Like Kropotkin, I would take Human Rights Watch report with a huge grain of salt. Ditto for Journalists Without Borders reports on Latin America.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Duly noted.

But -- independent of HRW's opinion, of course -- what's your take on the PSUV rush to stack the STJ?  Seems like their most recent session was all about getting jobs done, and not singing party anthems and suchlike.

I've already posted a link to our own, Canadian version in which Harper appointed some friendlies to some positions, and the debate about whether the new government should feel in any way obligated to respect Harper's choices. 

Though it's only fair to mention that Harper made his appointments before the election -- before he knew he lost -- whereas Maduro seems to have made his after the election, and BECAUSE he knows he lost.

Thoughts, laine?

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Mr. Magoo wrote:

I've already posted a link to our own, Canadian version in which Harper appointed some friendlies to some positions,

Actually the part of the story you don't seem to get is that the victors in this election cycle are like the Harper Conservatives on steroids. I have no idea when the terms were up and when the appointments should have been made so I have no idea whether they should have been made. I do know that the Constitution was opposed by the right wing and it passed.

Of course the idea that a Supreme Court is a political football is a very American way of looking at the Justice system where their Supreme Court is totally predictable on party lines.  That system seems to result in corporations getting to buy the members of all future Congresses.

Ken Burch Ken Burch's picture

The poster you are replying to buys into the right-wing myth that Chavez, Maduro and the entire PSUV were an intrinsically illegitimate government(the myth that was used to justify getting all the other parties together as the "opposition", implying that the continued existence of Bolivarian rule was an intolerable threat to "representative democracy").  He is now trying to bait Chavez supporters by obsessing on a relatively trivial issue of supreme court appointments.  Given that the now right-wing controlled Venezuelan Congress probably has the power to block the appointments(or to dismiss the appointees)once it is sworn in, it's hard to see why that poster is so obsessed with this.

laine lowe laine lowe's picture

If the following is true, it makes the Harper robocall tactics, including the one reconfirmed by Duffy, seem like child's play:

Quote:

An audiotape played on Wednesday on the VTV show “Con el Mazo Dando” revealed that the opposition allegedly paid 10,000 bolivars to persons who would vote for them in the elections of December 6.

“We’ve already won, the strategy was what I expected…10 ‘sticks’ apiece…10 little sticks for everyone who goes to vote for us, simple, like it or not,” stated a person known only as “Pollo” (Chicken), who was conversing with the secretary-general of the Bandera Roja (Red Flag) party, Carlos Hermoso, in a conversation on December 3.

“Pollo” assured that he already had the money, and that he had seen the bags it came in. He said that this payment would be given out in areas where the persons had sold their votes.

http://www.sabinabecker.com/2015/12/a-few-random-thoughts-on-the-venezue...

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Ken it is because he is the resident troll. Magoo knows exactly what he is doing and why it would bother people on this board. While I believe it is always good policy not to feed a troll I also cannot let American propoganda define issues on this board.

It is apparent that Magoo either does not know or does not care about the unsavory history of Venezuela's judicial system and its corruption because it was based on political appontments, not merit as a potential jurist. Also the headlines all talk about the right wing failing to get a super majority and I am pretty sure that if they had gotten the super majority they would have dismissed all the judges appointed by the previous government.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
Of course the idea that a Supreme Court is a political football is a very American way of looking at the Justice system where their Supreme Court is totally predictable on party lines.  That system seems to result in corporations getting to buy the members of all future Congresses.

Four Venezuelan lawyers undertook a review of STJ verdicts between 2004 and 2014, and in the 45,474 cases they reviewed, they were unable to find even ONE verdict that was unfavourable to the government.  They published a book, El TSJ al servicio de la revolución (The Supreme Court at the Service of the Revolution).

Quote:
It is apparent that Magoo either does not know or does not care about the unsavory history of Venezuela's judicial system and its corruption because it was based on political appontments, not merit as a potential jurist.

WAS based on political appointments??

But now it's not.  It's all good justices, who just coincidentally happened to rule in the government's favour 45 thousand times in a row?

Quote:
Also the headlines all talk about the right wing failing to get a super majority and I am pretty sure that if they had gotten the super majority they would have dismissed all the judges appointed by the previous government.

Venezuela election: Opposition 'supermajority' confirmed

Quote:
The poster you are replying to

Really, Ken?

Did you forget my name for a moment, or are you just too aggrieved to use it?

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

So what is it about the new neo-con government that you like the most?

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

I don't recall saying I like them.  And a fairly popular analysis suggests that a lot of the 56% who voted for them don't particularly "like" them either -- they voted for them because they're sick of Maduro's government, and ready to try something different.  It was a protest vote, not a "we suddenly prefer neo-conservatism" vote.

Ken Burch Ken Burch's picture

Well, with your insistence on continuing to attack the PSUV over what was already a moot issue of the court appointees(and your attempts to use that non-issue to redbait or discredit people who don't share your irrational hostilility to the Bolivarian movement) it was understandable that people would take your posts as pro-MUD propaganda.

However, I will assume instead that you are the sort of "right-wing social democrat" who always tries to prove her or his "anticommunist" credentials by spending far more time bashing the left(or at least that part of it that is more radical than your own middle-of-the-road to slightly-right-of-centre comfort zone).  That is the most reasonable conclusion that can be drawn from most of your posts on this board, and it probably informs the "I don't have to take anyone else's views seriously, because I am the only grown-up here" posting style.

Bec.De.Corbin Bec.De.Corbin's picture

kropotkin1951 wrote:

Ken it is because he is the resident troll.

And who the fuck are you to say this? You're a bit of a troll yourself.

That and disagreeing with you is not trolling.

Ken Burch Ken Burch's picture

It's not just that Magoo disagrees with people.  That would be fine if he simply said why he disagrees and made clear, cogent cases for his own positions.  Instead of doing that, Magoo consistently plays these "can you explain this to me?" games( which seem to be designed to imply that the people he is playing these games with are making no sense and are his intellectual inferiors), and by talking down to people as if he has no obligation to treat anyone here with respect or as an equal human being.

It's all about creating this impression that it is beneath Magoo to actually take part in any discussions here, because he is "the only grown-up"(I suspect he is an NDP "party insider" type who feels the usual contempt such people tend to feel towards those who haven't checked their souls at the door) and therefore not required to lower himself to our level by actually engaging anyone on the merits of what they are posting.  That's why what Magoo does can be classed as a kind of passive-aggressive trolling. 

NDPP

Assessing Venezuela's Elections: The Good, the Bad and the Indifferent  -  by Eric Draitser

http://off-guardian.org/2015/12/11/assessing-venezuelas-elections-the-go...

"...The country had taken a stunning turn to the right, an astonishing thing for the most left-wing country in the western hemisphere. How could this have happened? What led to these incredible developments? And what might this mean for the future of the Bolivarian Republic and its revolution?"

MegB

Folks, you may not agree with what Magoo posts or how he interacts here, but he isn't a troll. Plenty of babblers are provocative in their style and we don't call them trolls. If you don't like someone, you have a choice - you can continue to engage them and be annoyed or you can ignore them. Pretty simple really.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Ken Burch wrote:

It's not just that Magoo disagrees with people.  That would be fine if he simply said why he disagrees and made clear, cogent cases for his own positions.  Instead of doing that, Magoo consistently plays these "can you explain this to me?" games

That's what I think as well. I keep forgetting that the definition of troll is variable depending on the site and on this one Magoo has been cleared to go and he is not a troll.

Magoo is not a troll. Magoo is not a troll.Magoo is not a troll.Magoo is not a troll.Magoo is not a troll.Magoo is not a troll.Magoo is not a troll.

There that should expunge my mistake.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

This may be my first time posting a link to commondreams.org :)

The Left Isn’t Dead Yet in Venezuela

It's pretty sensible.  Here's the tl;dr version:

  • The left isn't dead, and neither is Chavismo
  • The electorate didn't vote "for" MUD, they voted against Maduro/PSAC
  • The electorate rejected neo-liberalism before and they can do it again

 

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..this needed to come into play much sooner. i find people in power don't want to let go..no matter who they say they represent..that power

National Communal Parliament Meets for First Time in Venezuela 

This first session of the Parliament aims to create a legislative mechanism through which the people can govern.

President of the Venezuelan National Assembly Diosdado Cabello presided Tuesday over the first gathering of the National Communal Parliament, a legislative body aimed at strengthening the role of grassroots decision-making structures known as communal councils and communes.

Cabello explained that the goal of the National Communal Parliament is to create a space that will allow the people to have access to resources, decision-making, laws, and “will allow the people to experience their way of life.”

Over the past decade, Venezuela has been witness to an explosion of grassroots structures and direct decision-making bodies, known as communal councils, where citizens can resolve their own local problems directly....

 

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
..this needed to come into play much sooner.

Had it been implemented before PSUV lost then it might have looked just a little bit less hinky.

I'm glad that Stephen Harper refrained from creating a new, parallel Parliament on his last day in the HoC.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Looks like Maduro made Christmas come a couple days early for PSUV.

Maduro's Allies Stack Venezuela’s Supreme Court

Quote:
Little about Wednesday’s inauguration was orthodox. Though the National Assembly’s final session was officially Dec. 18, pro-government lawmakers called for a special four-session, two-day marathon to quickly name, debate and swear in the new justices.

"Wait, what?  We have to leave?  Well, let's hold a special Holiday session of the Assembly and do a bunch of shit that the electorate pretty clearly voted against!"

Quote:
Mr. Cabello then led the magistrates as they raised their hands and swore to uphold the constitution in the name of God, the 19th-century liberator Simón Bolívar, and Mr. Chavez

And Mr. Chavez.

 

josh

Maybe they should have swore their allegiance to the Queen instead.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

If she isn't the representative of either of the parties involved, that would at least be better.

This is like new Supreme Court of Canada justices swearing allegiance to God, the Crown and Stephen Harper.

6079_Smith_W

josh wrote:

Maybe they should have swore their allegiance to the Queen instead.

Good point. There is a reason why our most recent Supreme Court justices swore allegiance to her and not to the head of government who appointed them, Stephen Harper.

(cross posted with you magoo)

 

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Mr. Magoo wrote:

If she isn't the representative of either of the parties involved, that would at least be better.

This is like new Supreme Court of Canada justices swearing allegiance to God, the Crown and Stephen Harper.

No the proper analogy is swearing allegeance to God, the Crown and Sir John A.  Of course if you are willing to kill Harper then I would agree.

6079_Smith_W

Well to cut to the chase, there is a problem with the judiciary swearing allegiance to the head of a political party, dead or not. That much should be clear.

 

 

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
dead or not

That's a strangely apt way to put it.  He's like Schroedinger's Cat that way.

On the one hand, he hasn't been seen out in public in a while.

On the other hand, he recently addressed the Venezuelan military.

Quote:
President Nicolas Maduro on Saturday told Venezuela's military to be prepared for a fight as the country remains tense after a landslide defeat for his socialist party in congressional elections.

Maduro told troops at a year-end celebration in Caracas that the coming year could see a political showdown between the socialist administration and its enemies.

Soldiers listened solemnly as the late President Hugo Chavez's voice rang out over loudspeakers

So... dead?  Not dead?  Simply arisen from the grave to ascend to Heaven and take his place at the LEFT hand of God?  It's all very weird and a little bit creepy.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

6079_Smith_W wrote:

Well to cut to the chase, there is a problem with the judiciary swearing allegiance to the head of a political party, dead or not. That much should be clear.

Their judicial system has never been fair and has always been political. That is obviously wrong and apparenelty not something they fixed while in power. Their Supreme Court appears to be picked much like our Senate.

Unfortunately for the people of Venezuela they appear to have elected a government that will make Harper look like a liberal.

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

Black Lives Matter Network Denounces U.S. “Continuing Intervention” in Venezuela

The co-founder of the Black Lives Matter Network and Executive Director of the Black Alliance for Just Immigration warns that the recent electoral victory of U.S.-backed counter revolutionary parties in Venezuela endangers the country’s African-descended population. The letter denounces “corporate media lies about electoral corruption voiced by Hillary Clinton, and Bernie Sander’s defamation of late President Hugo Chavez labeling him a dictator.”

We reject any action the U.S. puts forward to plunder Venezuelan natural resources, occupy the country and incite violence.”

bekayne

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Quote:
dead or not

That's a strangely apt way to put it.  He's like Schroedinger's Cat that way.

On the one hand, he hasn't been seen out in public in a while.

On the other hand, he recently addressed the Venezuelan military.

Quote:
President Nicolas Maduro on Saturday told Venezuela's military to be prepared for a fight as the country remains tense after a landslide defeat for his socialist party in congressional elections.

Maduro told troops at a year-end celebration in Caracas that the coming year could see a political showdown between the socialist administration and its enemies.

Soldiers listened solemnly as the late President Hugo Chavez's voice rang out over loudspeakers

So... dead?  Not dead?  Simply arisen from the grave to ascend to Heaven and take his place at the LEFT hand of God?  It's all very weird and a little bit creepy.

Sort of like Hardial Bains

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

epaulo13 wrote:

Black Lives Matter Network Denounces U.S. “Continuing Intervention” in Venezuela

The co-founder of the Black Lives Matter Network and Executive Director of the Black Alliance for Just Immigration warns that the recent electoral victory of U.S.-backed counter revolutionary parties in Venezuela endangers the country’s African-descended population. The letter denounces “corporate media lies about electoral corruption voiced by Hillary Clinton, and Bernie Sander’s defamation of late President Hugo Chavez labeling him a dictator.”

We reject any action the U.S. puts forward to plunder Venezuelan natural resources, occupy the country and incite violence.”

Gee don't you know this is babble and you should be cheering the defeat of a socialist government and the election of a neo-imperial American puppet regime.

Thanks for the link Cool

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

You're under no obligation to cheer for anything.

But you don't have to act like the Venezuelan electorate stabbed you in the back, either.  Good grief.  We just got the government we voted for too.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Mr. Magoo wrote:

You're under no obligation to cheer for anything.

But you don't have to act like the Venezuelan electorate stabbed you in the back, either.  Good grief.  We just got the government we voted for too.

Go away you right wing non-troll

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture
kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

We seem to have different teams in the global battle over who rules the world. I definitley cheer for left wing movements who are trying to overcome the Wall Street oligarchy that controls the largest military the world has ever seen and wants to control the resources of all countries. I didn't like Campbell being elected or Harper being elected and said so at the time. In your twisted reality that makes me anti-democracy. The Venezualan right wing makes Campbell and Harper look like choir boys so no I am not particularily impressed or happy for the Venezualan people.

Quote:

Still, while badmouthing the government has become something of a national hobby, virtually no one has anything good to say about the current array of opposition leaders. 

Indeed, a July poll by the private pollster Hinterlaces found that 52 per cent of Venezuelans believe the opposition has “no plan for the nation,” while 67 percent agreed they "the opposition has votes because of the discontent in the country but does not have popular backing.”

Yesterday’s ballots show just how strong the discontent had become.

Of the 99+ opposition deputies who will join the National Assembly on January 5th, not one signed the statutory agreement drawn up in October by the country’s electoral authority CNE saying they would respect they election results. 

In April 2013, they refused to accept Maduro’s victory over presidential candidate Henrique Capriles despite the fact that 17 audits had been conducted by the CNE and upheld by international observers and organizations such as UNASUR (Union of South American Nations). 

At the time, Capriles urged his supporters to take to the streets and insist their votes be counted, leading to riots that left nine dead, most of whom were Chavistas celebrating their victory. 

Yesterday evening a mob of protestors cornered a CNE official outside the electoral headquarters in Caracas, chanting “The vote is ours!” before turning on Chavista passerby.  

Venezuela's largest business conglomerate Fedecamaras, who admitted to playing a role in the 2002 coup d'etat against Hugo Chavez, already revealed that they would petition the new National Assembly to eliminate price regulations and conduct a revision of the Workers’ Law developed under Chavez.

http://venezuelanalysis.com/analysis/11757

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
In your twisted reality that makes me anti-democracy.

Have I ever said that I think you're anti-democracy??

Quote:
The Venezualan right wing makes Campbell and Harper look like choir boys so no I am not particularily impressed or happy for the Venezualan people.

As non-Venezuelans, both of us, I don't think it's our duty to be happy or sad for them -- at least until such time as they're clearly happy or sad with their vote.  They appear to have had a free and fair election, and given that their new legislature won't even be sworn in for another week and some, it would seem a bit premature to me to start mourning their choice.

ed'd to add:  and Kim Campbell wasn't so bad.  Wink

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Venezuela Socialists dispute opposition win in eight seats

Quote:
Members of Venezuela's Socialist party are disputing the election of eight opposition candidates in legislative elections held on 6 December.

The opposition won a two-thirds majority which enables it to challenge socialist President Nicolas Maduro.

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court said some losing candidates had filed challenges but it did not specify the grounds on which the appeals were made.

Members of the new National Assembly are to take up their seats on Tuesday.

It will be the first time in 16 years that the opposition MUD coalition will hold a majority in the legislative body.

But if the Supreme Court were to uphold just one appeal, the MUD would fall short of the 112 seats it needs for a two-thirds supermajority.

A supermajority gives the opposition key powers it would not have with fewer seats.

Among them are the power to remove Supreme Court judges

So the Supreme Court will be ruling on the legitimacy of the government that could remove them.  No conflict of interest there.

And as noted above, in the last decade the Supreme Court has not even once ruled against the interests of the government.

Aristotleded24

Bec.De.Corbin wrote:
kropotkin1951 wrote:

Ken it is because he is the resident troll.

And who the fuck are you to say this? You're a bit of a troll yourself.

That and disagreeing with you is not trolling.

[url=http://archive.rabble.ca/babble/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=0010..., Magoo is more of a predictor of the future:[/url]

Quote:

Barring military invasion, or political assassination, or a coup supported by the capitalists, all of Latin America, from Argentina and Chile north to the US border, will go Socialist within a decade.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I've heard it suggested that for developing countries, communism or socialism makes the most sense, and I can see that that could be the case. But once they develop to a certain point, get past the hand-to-mouth stage, then some form of capitalism starts to look more and more appealing.

The only way I'd take on that bet is if we further bet that within a second decade, the majority of them would either have gone to capitalism outright, or would be practicing a de facto version of capitalism while "officially" promoting communism or socialism.

And really, if I'm still babbling in 20 years, shoot me.

Ah, those were the days!Smile

bekayne

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Venezuela Socialists dispute opposition win in eight seats

Quote:
Members of Venezuela's Socialist party are disputing the election of eight opposition candidates in legislative elections held on 6 December.

The opposition won a two-thirds majority which enables it to challenge socialist President Nicolas Maduro.

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court said some losing candidates had filed challenges but it did not specify the grounds on which the appeals were made.

Members of the new National Assembly are to take up their seats on Tuesday.

It will be the first time in 16 years that the opposition MUD coalition will hold a majority in the legislative body.

But if the Supreme Court were to uphold just one appeal, the MUD would fall short of the 112 seats it needs for a two-thirds supermajority.

A supermajority gives the opposition key powers it would not have with fewer seats.

Among them are the power to remove Supreme Court judges

So the Supreme Court will be ruling on the legitimacy of the government that could remove them.  No conflict of interest there.

And as noted above, in the last decade the Supreme Court has not even once ruled against the interests of the government.

"There were irregularities"

"What were they?"

"We didn't win!"

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

On the upside, looks like I did predict communism in China ("come and visit The People's Revolutionary Stock Exchange").

On the downside, I guess I have just under ten more years of babbling before someone can shoot me with just cause.

Pages