babble-intro-img
babble is rabble.ca's discussion board but it's much more than that: it's an online community for folks who just won't shut up. It's a place to tell each other — and the world — what's up with our work and campaigns.

I expect a bit better from the NDP Government

The Analyst
Offline
Joined: Aug 7 2011

Comments

genstrike
Offline
Joined: May 1 2008

You expect better from the NDP government?

Someone clearly doesn't live in Mantioba...


MegB
Offline
Joined: Nov 28 2001

All of us should expect better from our governments, regardless of who runs what. However, on the left side of it, demanding more is a function of democracy. On the right, demanding less is the scum on the pond of Tory politics.


Arthur Cramer
Offline
Joined: Nov 30 2010

Here in Manitoba these guys talk progressive but govern like Libs. Doer did this to the party. This is not the party of Ed Schreyer and Howard Pauley. If the Tories were in charge, they'd tell you Lake St. Martin was the name of a street in the South Part of the city.


The Analyst
Offline
Joined: Aug 7 2011

Arthur Cramer wrote:

Here in Manitoba these guys talk progressive but govern like Libs.

Nah. They govern more like Red Tories.


Michelle
Offline
Joined: May 10 2001

Re: the thread title: Don't we all.  Heh.


Sandy Dillon
Offline
Joined: Mar 15 2003

Too bad you wouldn't expect the same from your federal government. In that case thought it would have to be A LOT MORE!


The Analyst
Offline
Joined: Aug 7 2011

Sandy Dillon wrote:

Too bad you wouldn't expect the same from your federal government. In that case thought it would have to be A LOT MORE!

I expect nothing but depravity, spit, and contempt from the Harper CON Government. With the Manitoba NDP, though, you'd expect when their rational electoral self-interest aligns with the right thing, they'd do it. 



The Manitoba NDP won some Interlake ridings thanks, in a large part, to aboriginal voters. I've even met people from the Interlake reserves who talked about how the campaigning NDP talked the good talk about dealing with the aftermath of the breach on flooded out reserves, yet were disappointed after the party failed to deliver. This sort of inaction when it comes to aboriginal rights is suicidal stupidity for a (nominally) centre-left party in Manitoba.  

 


Aristotleded24
Online
Joined: May 24 2005

Guess who wants to raise shelter allowances for people on social assistance?

Quote:
MANITOBA Conservative Leader Brian Pallister has provided a boost to anti-poverty advocates who have long lobbied for an increase in the social assistance housing allowance.

...

He vowed that, if elected, he would peg the rental allowance at 75 per cent of the median market rent in Winnipeg. It means a single person on welfare would receive an estimated $375 to $385 a month for rent instead of the current $285.

Pallister describes himself as an "unapologetic fiscal conservative," but he said there are plenty of other places the government could cut costs to be able to afford the $18 million it would take to meet the new target he's suggesting.

Pallister's proposal is identical to the one being proposed by the coalition Make Poverty History Manitoba. Some 150 groups, representing anti-poverty activists and business leaders alike, have supported the coalition's call to boost the welfare allowance.


lombar
Offline
Joined: Jul 18 2006

It's not surprising. People on welfare generally have to give/pay their money to people who would support conservatives thus increasing welfare rates increases incomes for some people, slum lords, shopping stores, etc. After 13 years of NDP in BC it was the Liberals that actually raised the welfare rates. Of course that was offset by making the system hard to access.


genstrike
Offline
Joined: May 1 2008

I'm not on welfare, and I'm pretty sure I pay most of the money I earn to people who would tend to support the conservatives.  Small business owners, big business owners, banks and landlords.  Simply because I shop at places other than the Mondragon.  So what?

I think it's more of a sign that the NDP have this big blind spot on welfare rates, and have allowed rates to stagnate for so long that it's gotten so bad that it's not just people like Make Poverty History that are seeing it as a problem.

Perhaps when an allegedly left-wing party's social assistance policies are to the right of the Conservatives and the Chamber of Commerce, it's time to re-evaluate something.


The Analyst
Offline
Joined: Aug 7 2011
lombar
Offline
Joined: Jul 18 2006

So raising rates means more money for slumlords, retailers, et al providing direct benefits to the right wingers that own everything. Raising your pay means you can save more, raising a welfare check means more consumption since the rules prevent them from accumulating capital (and its often not enough to permit saving anyways).

As I said, the BC liberals raised the rates after 11 years of NDP. Calling it a blind spot is being kind.


genstrike
Offline
Joined: May 1 2008

lombar wrote:

So raising rates means more money for slumlords, retailers, et al providing direct benefits to the right wingers that own everything. Raising your pay means you can save more, raising a welfare check means more consumption since the rules prevent them from accumulating capital (and its often not enough to permit saving anyways).

I don't get your point.  Are you saying that we shouldn't raise welfare rates because welfare recipients will just spend it at places owned by right-wing scumbags?  Or are you saying the NDP avoids raising welfare rates because they think it will just wind up in the pockets of right-wingers who will donate to the Tories?


6079_Smith_W
Offline
Joined: Jun 10 2010

lombar wrote:

So raising rates means more money for slumlords, retailers, et al providing direct benefits to the right wingers that own everything.

That's kind of funny, and I have to ask what it says about the rest of us, who have a bit more disposable income. And if the plan is to keep them ideologically pure by having them snare squirrels, forage in the ornamental kale for food, and sew their clothes out of leaves, why would you want them to accumulate capital at all? Acquiring a savings account just turns you into one of those evil right-wing Harper supporters, after all.

 


lombar
Offline
Joined: Jul 18 2006

"I don't get your point.  Are you saying that we shouldn't raise welfare rates because welfare recipients will just spend it at places owned by right-wing scumbags?"

No. My point is the paltry raise the right wingers gave was self interest. The fact that poor people might get to survive a little easier is not the motivation.

"Or are you saying the NDP avoids raising welfare rates because they think it will just wind up in the pockets of right-wingers who will donate to the Tories?"

The NDP don't raise the rates because they are afraid of being grilled by their opposition for supporting people that many feel don't deserve any help. It is easy to whip the population of workers up against people who fail to conform (for whatever reason). And they know it.

 

"That's kind of funny, and I have to ask what it says about the rest of us, who have a bit more disposable income. And if the plan is to keep them ideologically pure by having them snare squirrels, forage in the ornamental kale for food, and sew their clothes out of leaves, why would you want them to accumulate capital at all? Acquiring a savings account just turns you into one of those evil right-wing Harper supporters, after all."

Ideology doens't mean a lot to homeless people. Working folk have the option to save money and accumulate capital. If they don't, that is their failure. Not sure what this meandering is all about. Keep who ideologically pure? The NDP?  If the 'rest of you' with disposable income fail to accumulate capital (savings, assets) it is your choice. Not a choice of a disabled person or other welfare recipient. The NDP has done exactly NOTHING for these groups in 30 years.

 


Aristotleded24
Online
Joined: May 24 2005

lombar wrote:
The NDP don't raise the rates because they are afraid of being grilled by their opposition for supporting people that many feel don't deserve any help. It is easy to whip the population of workers up against people who fail to conform (for whatever reason). And they know it.

 Brian Pallister has come out in support of raising welfare rates, so there's no chance of political fall-out from that. The rank-and-file of the NDP voted for this at their last convention. The only people in this province who don't support raising welfare rates are Sellinger and the clique who surrounds him at the Cabinet table.


Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or register to post comments