Newsweek slam Oprah for pushing quackery

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
ennir

Sineed wrote:

....

That reminds me - I need to get myself one of those super-strong umbrellas to deal with the droppings from all those flying pigs (or do you think the tin foil hat is good enough?)

....

That's it, that's all you've got?  LOL

Translation, I don't respect you enough to discuss this, instead I will insult you in order to diminish you and your argument.

If you want to live in big  pharma world then go ahead but do not ask me to believe that they are a credible source for health any more than the alternatives are, I have too much direct experience of their vast ignorance to place my confidence in them.

 

ennir

Tigana, I said it, not Sineed.  :)

 

Tigana Tigana's picture

Sineed wrote:

Sineed wrote,

Today I have a classic example of what I am talking about, a friend came by, she has been ill for about five years now, this past year she was referred to a gastro who tested her for celiac and the blood work came back positive, but that wasn't clear enough for him he wanted to do an endoscopy to check for the damage.  He found none but then he never asked my friend whether she was consuming gluten, (she hasn't been for two years), or informed her that for the indoscopy to be effective she would need to do a gluten challenge and when he did do the endoscopy he took two samples which is not even close to enough and then he told her he thought it really wasn't celiac, he thought she had irritable bowel syndrome.  Then he prescibed anti-depressents although she assured him that though she was suffering because she was ill she was not depressed.  Now to me he is quack, and worse than that is an asshole, he shouldn't be practicing medicine at all if he knows so little.

To top all of that off the endoscopy triggered a flare, (hello auto-immune disorder Celiac) and she was sick for nearly two weeks after a test which simply didin't need to be performed except to satisfy that wonderful "gold standard" the doctors love. 

Irritable bowel, lol sure one day the bowel just gets seriously pissed off and stays that way. lol  Given that doctors receive little education about nutrition I suppose it is not surprising that they would buy into such a theory but it strikes me as a wonderful example of their stupidity.

 

APPLAUSE!!!!! Smile

Tigana Tigana's picture

Sineed wrote:

Um everybody in the business knows methadone was invented by the Nazis.

Quote:
Heroin and some other drug addictions can be quickly, inexpensively ended with intravenous (IV) Vitamin C - and IV Vit C also gets rid of Hepatitis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB5TsbtchT4&feature=player_embedded

So, Sineed, you have the facts; what are you going to do?

Sineed

ennir wrote:

Sineed wrote:

....

That reminds me - I need to get myself one of those super-strong umbrellas to deal with the droppings from all those flying pigs (or do you think the tin foil hat is good enough?)

....

That's it, that's all you've got?  LOL

Translation, I don't respect you enough to discuss this, instead I will insult you in order to diminish you and your argument.

If you want to live in big  pharma world then go ahead but do not ask me to believe that they are a credible source for health any more than the alternatives are, I have too much direct experience of their vast ignorance to place my confidence in them.

 

The reason there's all this nonsense infesting the interweb is because there's a lot we we haven't figured out yet.  And then there's the people who know even less, but basically exploit this collective ignorance in order to promote themselves as courageous mavericks, or maybe to make some money by selling "alternative" treatments.

 

Polly B Polly B's picture

On a completely personal note. I have rheumatoid arthritis and hypertension: scratch that, I HAD both of those. My last trip to the doctor (and thats a chore here in AB) I was told that the celebrex would have to be switched up to something stronger for the RA and that I would need to wait to see the specialist. My BP was taken and my prescription renewed - incorrectly as it turned out - good thing it was caught by the pharmacist who expressed surprised at how much stronger my dosage had become. When I saw the specialist he told me my next step would be methotrexate (sp?) and I went home in tears. I was 45 going on 70. So I did what I should have done years ago. I switched to a completely vegan diet, no meat no dairy no eggs. I dumped the wheat products and only infrequently have sprouted grains bread or wraps. Fish is my once a month treat. That was in March. Today I have no RA symptoms, none at all. I have been gardening like I used to do five years ago, walking the dogs and loving the action. My BP is 117/75 and I have lost almost 15 pounds without ever feeling hungry. My doctors didn't recommend this. I found this out by google and gossip, and decided to try it out of sheer desperation. I wish it had been presented to me five years ago as an option, instead of vioxx and diovan.

Polly B Polly B's picture

Oh ya, and like Remind, I use yam extract to control night sweats and hot flashes.  Works great and I never did want to try the horse pee stuff.

ennir

Sineed wrote:

...

The reason there's all this nonsense infesting the interweb is because there's a lot we we haven't figured out yet.  And then there's the people who know even less, but basically exploit this collective ignorance in order to promote themselves as courageous mavericks, or maybe to make some money by selling "alternative" treatments.

 

What nonsense?  Who hasn't figured it out yet?  The collective we?  Scientists?  Doctors?

I have figured it out and I understand now that that is what each of us must do.  We are unique, we do have different tolerances, we need to learn to listen to our bodies and respect what they communicate to us, if we do that our bodies will respond positively but our body does have limits and if you go too far it may not be possible to come back.  I suppose this is where the snake oil comes in.

Sure they are out there but small time compared to the companies selling anti-depressants which if you want to talk snake oil.....LOL  I read a story about one of the anti-depressants they came up with first and then designed a marketing campaign and people bought it,  went to their doctors and said please, please give me some of this drug, I have heard it will help my whatever and when they decided they maybe didn't want to take it anymore found that they had such severe reactions that they couldn'tstop taking it or that it was very difficult.  My mother says she knew eight people taking anti-depressants and they all committed suicide.

What is wrong that people are constantly seeking some drug to numb them out?  Could it be that people are genuinely ill in some way and it is expressed through this inability to wake up, to take responsibllity?  Could it be that this greed is mis-directed hunger, that truly people are starving?

Tigana, thank you for all the links.  Wow.  I am bookmarking this thread.  :)

Tigana Tigana's picture

Sineed wrote,

The reason there's all this nonsense infesting the interweb is because there's a lot we we haven't figured out yet.  And then there's the people who know even less, but basically exploit this collective ignorance in order to promote themselves as courageous mavericks, or maybe to make some money by selling "alternative" treatments.

This thread began with started out with a discussion of millionaire TV figures - who have become very rich through our attention to them and who dispense what might be deplored as "cosmetic" health advice.

Doctors are not always scientific. Above, someone mentioned prayer as therapy - and yes, some doctors recommend that. I suggest they look into Simoncini's cancer/fungus correlation

http://www.cancerisafungus.com/

and Hoffer's Vitamin C-Niacin link instead.

http://www.doctoryourself.com/hoffer_niacin

http://www.islandnet.com/hoffer

But most physicians are more than a decade behind in their reading. 

    I remember refrigerator moms, and MS as a mental illness, and CFS/fibro as somatic. Now we know that CFS is probably caused by a bacteria - much as helicobactor causes ulcers.  See

    http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=14579

    In a dogmatic system, sometimes being a courageous maverick is the only thing that will save your life. Ennir and I have become educated consumers by pursuing knowledge - from sources like the NEJM, BMJ, PubMed and others - on the "interwebs".   I want Patient's Rights to be respected, and I want doctors to First Do No Harm. I question the status quo and have no competing interests. Those who make a living in the health care industry, however, may.