Sarah Palin ad on TV

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Noah_Scape
Sarah Palin ad on TV

Sarah Palin's paid ad was unveiled today. It is an example of how the well funded Republican media arm can buy air time. I have doubts that Michael Moore would be able to get an ad on the air.

But the worst of it is the total lack of content. It is just 90 seconds of "talking points" without any substance at all. It would be a good laugh except that some/many Americans are taking her seriously.

 

Here is what I jotted down from it, and I did not omit anything important that might have had substance:

"this is the year conservative women are gonna get things done for our country"

"common sense solutions"

"whats coming out of Washington now, this FUNDAMENTAL TRANSFORMATION,... we don't LIKE this fundamental transformation ; we kinda know when somethin' is wrong"

"grizzly Mama's protect their cubs"

"No, this isn't right for our kids and our grandkids"

"to respect the will of the people"

"look out washington because there is a whole stampede of {PEACE?? or PINK??} elephants crossin' the line in the EPA, stampeding through in September 2nd 2010"

"lotta women comin' together"

 

Noah_Scape
Lachine Scot

Hmm, I couldn't watch it all the way to the end. 

But seriously, it seems like she (or her writers) avoided making any specific claims at all against the administration, or even naming the democrats or obama. 

It's just one chipper grizzly mom revolution to take back our country from something or other...

Fidel

Sarah said she has relatives in the Canadian prairies. So I'm thinkin' this must be Canada's revenge for NAFTA, or something.

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

Hard to believe she actually appeals to anyone.

al-Qa'bong

There's the MILF factor.  Some US comedian said she appeals to old Republican guys who think she's hot.

Ghislaine

Al-Q - could you refrain from calling other women "MILFs"? I find that offensive. 

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

al-Q, Ghislaine is right. MILF is a sexist term and totally unacceptable on babble. I'm sure you know why.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

What I am not sure is whteehr this helps or hurts Tina's career.  She may just have to steal the whole ad for her next script..

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE2gE-VVjBI

Sven Sven's picture

Sarah Palin is a tool.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Tool is a very broad category, care to add any depth to that insight.

Sven Sven's picture

kropotkin1951 wrote:

Tool is a very broad category, care to add any depth to that insight.

How about: "Incompetent moron" who should just stick to bear hunting in Alaska?  Tongue out

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Please show some pity on the bears since its not like she would hunt them from the ground.

Sven Sven's picture

kropotkin1951 wrote:

Please show some pity on the bears since its not like she would hunt them from the ground.

I'd like to see her hunt them with her bare hands...and then see what happens.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

There is no doubt Sven she gives libertarians a bad name.  

al-Qa'bong

kropotkin1951 wrote:

Tool is a very broad category, care to add any depth to that insight.

Did you really say "broad" with reference to Ms. Palin?

I've written about Palin twice in the last six months and was ripped both times for a lack of political correctness, which is pretty funny.  Palin supporters would probably be less offended by my comments that her purported opponents here.

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

thorin_bane you have just given a master class in "not getting it." I am utterly stupified by the ignorance you displayed in your last post, and I hardly know where to begin.

Just so we're clear, MILF means "Mom I'd like to Fuck." Forget about subtlely objectifying women with words like "chick," MILF is aggressive, explicit and violent. Just because your male privilege is offended at the fact that thiis word is out of your arsenal here on babble is no excuse for that incoherent (and continuously edited) ignorant rant. "What are you supposed to call her"? How about an unintelligent woman who leans heavily on sexist stereotypes in order to mobilize conservative kingmakers? Or any other series of words that don't insult, demean, belittle, sexualize, objectify and evoke hatred for women. This is not "extreme", it's basic fucking courtesy. I'm not going to suspend you, and clearly this little tirade of yours has been boiling up for awhile. But I'm not interested in your pathetic and impotent screeds on language. Those terms are unacceptable (as is uttering the n-word in order, weakly, to make some asinine point). Live with it or get out of here. Christ.

Your words are read by members of this community who deserve respect, and who deserve to have their basic humanity not only acknowledged but taken as fucking given.

And al-Q, there's a reason why Palin suporters don't post here.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

al-Q...I understand why you used that particular term to describe how many Republican males think of Palin..An offensive term to some but that's EXACTLY what they think of her.

I can think of many words to describe Palin but unfortunately those words would never be tolerated in this forum..But I think anyone with an IQ of over 40 would agree that that woman is a category 5 moron.

thorin_bane

EDITED for PC

thorin_bane

Hey catchfire it is because there is a double standard. On many topics. So you don't have to FUCKING SUSPEND my account, I will do my flounce and leave on my own.

I have been here for 6 years and know most of the rules, but people are attacked on here for all kinds of small transgressions. When most never read the policy or don't know about the super PC police. Yet right wing trolls fly around causing havok all the time.  But YOU let them stay on becasue they are polite while violating the "policy". But if someone who wants to join the team but doesn't know the "policy" says something wrong they are punished and beat up. Instead of the approach we try with trying to convince a troll(which is clearly evident) on whatever topic they wander into. If you mention they are a troll you are told "you are too fucking harsh"...oh good lets let them f it all up. More wasted time.

The reason you say this has been building up is because outside of maybe a few posts I have over the years kept my posts on the straight and narrow, but I have been called pretty much everything on this website even when I am not. A lot of people get that reception. Its hard to build allies when the people on your own side treat you worse than the enemy.

GET IT

500_Apples

Most of the comments on Sarah Palin's looks seem to come from liberal commentators rather than conservative commentators. For example it was that liberal rag Newsweek that had Palin on their cover in biker shorts. I think this attempt at trivializing may be done as a sort of psychological comfort among American liberals. There are actual reasons for Srah Palin's tremendous popularity and it may be in the best interests of left analysts to try and do better than "0MG, She'S A F0X !!!" and to run top 10 lists in playboy of hot conservative women. She's as or more popular among conservative women as she is among conservative men.

I'll point out John Edwards and Barack Obama are to a large extent just male versions of the Palin stereotype. Good-looking, telegenic, young, not much substantial to say and little relevant experience. It's not as though liberal Americans are going for men (or women) with 15 years of legislative experience or that sort of thing. They're also going for image. In the UK, the country is led by two men in their 40s who look physically indistinguishable: David Cameron and Nick Clegg. Margaret Thatcher they are not.

I am not actually sure why she's so popular. I think it may be due to her folksiness and her charm. She's married to a blue collar guy, she hunts, she has five kids; people are not only seeing themselves reflected in Palin... they are seeing idealized reflections of themselves.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

thorin_bane wrote:

 The reason you say this has been building up is because outside of maybe a few posts I have over the years kept my posts on the straight and narrow, but I have been called pretty much everything on this website even when I am not. A lot of people get that reception. Its hard to build allies when the people on your own side treat you worse than the enemy.

GET IT

 

Ramen to that,brother...I've been through it all on Rabble and have learned to be VERY careful with what I say and apprehensive of joining most discussions.

Progressives need progressives..We all should be joining together instead of burning bridges...And you're right...What the TROLLS spew is FAR,FAR,FAR more repulsive and offensive than some off colour,politically incorrect words or comments.

Noah_Scape

What a tangled web we are. This thread has brought up the issue of "us and them" groups within groups, and I think we could make some progress in the revolution towards enlightenment by finding ways to stick together as "people trying to create an enlightened world"

Is that too uppity? No way - I see all sorts of enlightened comments here. I bet that 90% of babblers would choose a less materialistic, sustainable, kind and gentle world as opposed to what we have now.

Sarah Palin is a lead person for conservatives, and they seem to like to create all sorts of divisions between people, fomenting hatred and advancing the corporate, elitist, fossil fool agenda.

I like it that Al-Q got bonged for using the "M..." phrase, but at the same time I think AlQ might be one of "us" and we don't want to push anyone out who is willing to join the struggle for enlightenment. I never get censored for writing abusive phrases, because I have an inate awareness of what causes pain to others, but we have to let Al-Q grow that kind of sensitivity too. I bet Al-Q feels a little pain today too, from being "politically corrected" [as it should be].

 The essential "Us and Them" - enlightenment seekers Vs conservative types. We need all the converts we can get, and this kind of thread is very helpfull to growing enlightenment.  {so, A hug for Al Q despite his gaffe here.

 

 

remind remind's picture

hey thorin, did not see that this happened, please do not flounce, I look forward to reading your take on things. most times.

 

And frankly others I know who my allies are here, and thorin is one, however there are others commenting who most certainly are not.

maggie63

Noah, well said.  It's hard to get 'called out' in a public forum and it's unfortunate that sometimes there we are less than delicate in pointing out these gaffes.  While some of us feel like we should not have to be delicate at all, others don't want to alienate anyone that we feel allied with on other matters.  I'm sure that al-Qa and Thorin are fine folks who are just feeling a little defensive about being centred out by people (women?) that would like to hold their friends to a slightly higher standard of consciousness. 

remind remind's picture

...hear Levi and Bristol are getting married......

Caissa

Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston say they're engaged and hope to get married within six weeks in Alaska, just a few months after fighting over child support and Johnston's critical comments about the family.

Palin, the daughter of 2008 vice-presidential candidate and former Alaska governor Sarah Palin, is featured on the cover of Us Weekly with Johnston, holding their 18-month-old son, Tripp.

The couple tells the magazine they reconnected while working out a custody plan and became engaged two weeks ago.

Palin, 19, told Us Weekly she found the idea of telling her mother about the engagement "intimidating and scary."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/07/14/palin-johnston-engaged.html#ixzz0tlqTtqXx

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

I'm not sure why this 'news' is plastered on magazines or on TV shows that feature news from celebrities and the entertainment industry..They are neither.

Not to rehash an earlier arguement over a certain word used to describe Palin,but I have a picture of the former governor from when she was in college where she is posing showing off what's written on her T-shirt.

It read, 'I may be flat broke but atleast I'm not flat chested'...I think that picture plus the one she posed in a swimsuit carrying a rifle,confirm what many think...She is a bimbo.

Noah_Scape

'I may be flat broke but at least I'm not flat chested'

  Sarah, Sarah, Sarah... That slogan is disrespectfull of women, it enhances the sexual objectification of women, and gee, didja ever have any thoughts about the flat-chested women?

  My sisters are flat-chested, but they both managed to rise to the upper levels in their carreers. They managed to get promotions despite being flat-chested.

  They are intelligent I guess, but YOU? From what I can tell, many of your supporters are men who think you are attractive - I wonder if that is a qualification to be an American President? Do your female supporters have some similar opinion of you, such as "Sarah must be the Queen Bee because men seem to like her" ?

   I can only hope that Palin takes up the challenge to wrestle a mother grizzly bear.

thorin_bane

remind wrote:

hey thorin, did not see that this happened, please do not flounce, I look forward to reading your take on things. most times.

 

And frankly others I know who my allies are here, and thorin is one, however there are others commenting who most certainly are not.

 

Of course its hard to leave this place, just taking a break is all. I also look forward to your opinions, I share the vast majority of them. Even if we(each of us on babble) have butted heads from time to time in the past its no reason to hate each other. If that was the case I think stock would have left a few years back WTR to Israel. But lucky for us he stayed on and contributes to many conversations. Maybe the reason I am tolerated as well. (Or maybe not *shhh*)

We on the left can sometime agree to disagree. My post was inflamatory and I apologize for some of the things written within, but not for the tone of it. I stand by it. We spend far too much time beating each other up for not being left enough, or trotsky enough or marx enough etc.

I would like a day to come were we can have debates on should words be verbotten or black block tactics(not agent prov.) should be used? Wouldn't it be nice if our debates among ourselves would be the ones that are changing the country and not the selling out of it to corporations and right wing dismantling of all things progressive.

My comments don't indicate I am a feminist as written, but I think its because of the context here. Most people ask me why I have such a "hard on" for first nations, women, homeless and any underdog that happens into my field of view. Maybe being an underdog at certain points in ones life leads you here, or maybe your upbringing.

I'll admit I sometime laugh at what could be considered a racist joke, see Danial Tosh's stand up about white people tasting like Mac and Cheese(if we were cannibals-i think cannibalism can be funny if told correctly). Or his bit on plastic surgery. He talks about extreme makeover and how society is obsessed with looks, yet makes a joke about not looking good either.  His jokes usually happen to cut both ways-oop did you see that pun.

Does that make me insensitive to others problems? No it doesn't, it doesn't even mean it trivializes it either.  It does highlight typical human behavior and how we judge things. Sometimes we need to take off our serious/intelligent caps on babble and just relax and enjoy something mindless. Even if it doesn't follow completely our code of ethics to the letter. Or moreso how fine the letter should be. At what point do we go too far?

Like I mentioned we can debate this fulsomely once the right wing beast is dead. Maybe some proper naval gazing would be appropriate and I'll find myself less than a barbarian(fine people despite poor manners). But in the meantime we do need to be a slightly larger tent and be mindful of who our allies are. I dislike the liberals, their apathy and right wing ideology, but compared to the conservatives, they would make a decent coalition partner, with us keeping their nose clean. That is the same as here, lets try to use some understanding with US, and try to keep THEM from baiting us and wasting our energies.

I try hard to be progressive as it isn't branded into my skin yet. It is a conscious choice you have to make to forget bias you learned. But unlearning bad things takes time. Baby steps. I a a far more enlightened person after 6 years here than I was before. I probably have a ways to go. But if we take time with those that could be our allies it does a lot more than fighting with those that won't ever be.

Debating trolls can be useful to illustrate our points, but lets not sit back and watch as some person comes in just to disrupt things. Thank you to the mods for nipping it in the bud WRT census thread. That is my point. Cabbie was clearly here to stir the pot. I would debate whether Lockheed Martin should be the software company doing the research, but that is entirely different than my view on a proper mandatory long census. Another issue that the cons want belief based policy. And its not just us. I believe there are several countries talking about it. Tin Foil Hat alert- maybe this was discussed at the bilderburg meetings? If we all eliminate census data, it makes it easier to make up policy friendly to their position.

Sorry for the derailment of the thread. Carry on.

Though I did see something about Bristol claiming it is her son? Trick or Track, whatever the name is. And not SP's kid as they were saying during the election. Or did I see that wrong. It was on during ET or something at my parents and I don't usually watch too much american programming, so I wasn't paying attention too well. It was sandwiched between Lady Gaga and 72 previews of what was coming up after the break, which wound up at the end of the program anyway. All I thought was...wow a rightwinger lying and their people making excuses for them, big surprise. See CBC board for perfect examples of this.

RevolutionPlease RevolutionPlease's picture

It's Tripp, tb.  I get corrected all the time here.  It's good.  I learn.  I find babbler's are good at knowing when you're in need of some learnin' and I try not to take it the wrong way.  I appreciate your contributions.  It's best for me not to comment on Sarah Palin.