PC's remove Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Michael Harris over sexting allegations

1 post / 0 new
Debater
PC's remove Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Michael Harris over sexting allegations

MPP was informed by email that his nomination papers to run in Kitchener-Conestoga would not be signed due to an allegation made by a young woman who had worked at Queen’s Park.

Mon., April 9, 2018

“On the afternoon of Friday, April 6, an allegation against the MPP from Kitchener-Conestoga was brought forward,” said MPP Lisa Thompson, the PC caucus chair.

“The evidence presented to us included a written complaint from 2013 by a former intern about how she had been passed over for employment. There was also a series of text messages from the same time period, between the young intern and the MPP,” said Thompson.

“These text messages were of a sexual nature. They included a discussion of potential part-time employment, as well as a request for her to send him photos, an invitation for her to meet with him late that evening, and reference to something that may have previously taken place in his legislative office.”

Thompson said when Harris was asked about the matter, he denied that a “formal” complaint was lodged.

“We convened an urgent meeting the same day with the provincial nominations committee (PNC). The PNC reviewed the evidence and unanimously decided to disqualify the MPP from being an Ontario PC candidate,” she said.

“As a result of this information, a decision has been made to remove Michael Harris, MPP, from the Ontario PC caucus effective immediately.”

 

Full article:

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/04/09/ontario-tories-turf-mpp-michael-harris-over-sexting-allegations.html