Rathika Sitsabaiesan, Former NDP MP, Now Wants To Run For Ontario Liberals

125 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mighty Middle

Party favour wrote:

According to her parliamentary profile she lost her position as critic for post-secondary education in 2012, after less than a year in the position, and didn't have any shadow cabinet position at all until she was given two associate critic positions in early 2015, a few months before the election so regardless of the "rising star" spin in the media it doesn't look like she was thought highly of within caucus (or at least by the leadership).  

She was appointed to that critic position by Layton before he passed on. When Mulcair was elected leader, he shuffled some of the critic appointments. When the shuffle was complete, I guess she found herself with no critic role.

Rathika endorsed Peggy Nash for the leadership only after Peter Julian said he wouldn't run (she was an early backer of Julian for leader when Jack died.

swallow

But will Joe Cressey run? 

Stockholm

Party favour wrote:

Stockholm wrote:
So what, there have been so many musical chairs and resignations to seek higher office in that part of Scarborough that I just think anyone cares. School board by elections get turnouts of about 5%, I doubt if anyone even knows he's on the TDSB..

You don't think the other candidates would make sure everyone knows about that and the $250,000 it will cost to replace him added on to the $250,000 it cost for the by-election he won? If the NDP can't anticipate how that would blow up in their face then it's no surprise they didn't anticipate all the things they should have anticipated in the last federal election. 

Who cares...how many hundreds of thousands of dollars is it costing to have this byelection in the first place just to accommodate Bas Balkissoon's temper tantrum over not getting appointed to cabinet.

Stockholm

Mighty Middle wrote:

Party favour wrote:

According to her parliamentary profile she lost her position as critic for post-secondary education in 2012, after less than a year in the position, and didn't have any shadow cabinet position at all until she was given two associate critic positions in early 2015, a few months before the election so regardless of the "rising star" spin in the media it doesn't look like she was thought highly of within caucus (or at least by the leadership).  

She was appointed to that critic position by Layton before he passed on. When Mulcair was elected leader, he shuffled some of the critic appointments. When the shuffle was complete, I guess she found herself with no critic role.

Rathika endorsed Peggy Nash for the leadership only after Peter Julian said he wouldn't run (she was an early backer of Julian for leader when Jack died.

Also in late 2012 she was listed on CTV Powerplay on a list of "The 10 Most Disappointing MPs in Ottawa"...with words to the effect that she had a major attitude problem and had turned off almost everyone on the hill.

Mighty Middle

Rathika first interview on why she is running for the Ontario Liberals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAt-7q_XFzU

Party favour

Stockholm wrote:

Party favour wrote:

Stockholm wrote:
So what, there have been so many musical chairs and resignations to seek higher office in that part of Scarborough that I just think anyone cares. School board by elections get turnouts of about 5%, I doubt if anyone even knows he's on the TDSB..

You don't think the other candidates would make sure everyone knows about that and the $250,000 it will cost to replace him added on to the $250,000 it cost for the by-election he won? If the NDP can't anticipate how that would blow up in their face then it's no surprise they didn't anticipate all the things they should have anticipated in the last federal election. 

Who cares...how many hundreds of thousands of dollars is it costing to have this byelection in the first place just to accommodate Bas Balkissoon's temper tantrum over not getting appointed to cabinet.

You're responding with talking points rather than seriously considering how damaging it would be to both Shan and the NDP if he ran for another position mere weeks after being elected trustee. If you think voters are too stupid to care or notice then, frankly, it's exactly that sort of attitude that leads to bad decisions that blow up in a party's face. 

Stockholm

He is a strong candidate and being an MPP is a vastly more important job where he can do more good. If he wants to run all the more power to him. The voters can decide whether it matters that he was just elected to the school board, just like they can decide if they want to punish the Liberals for selling off Hydro One

Mighty Middle

Stockholm wrote:
He is a strong candidate and being an MPP is a vastly more important job where he can do more good. If he wants to run all the more power to him. The voters can decide whether it matters that he was just elected to the school board, just like they can decide if they want to punish the Liberals for selling off Hydro One

Neethan Shan has just told the local Scarborough newspaper he is not closing the door on seeking the nomination.

“I’m certainly seriously considering it, and I’m being urged by many in the community to put my name forward, but I haven’t made a final decision yet,” said Shan, who has also run for council in Ward 42 against longtime incumbent Raymond Cho.

“Rathika’s decision is something she’s going to have to answer for herself,” he added in an email.

“Having said that, what I know is that that people respect those who stand by their beliefs no matter what. That’s how I’ve tried to work throughout my time in politics and in serving this community.”

Also a vice-president of the Ontario Liberals, Piragal Thiru, has already announced he will seek the nomination.

On the weekend, Ryan Singh, the provincial party’s local riding association president, said “a number of people” had approached him about running.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/6513822-former-ndp-mp-sitsabaies...

Mighty Middle

Among her former NDP supporters one of the most caustic reactions came from Guled Arale, an Ontario NDP youth leader from Scarborough, who said Sitsabaiesan’s move left him “absolutely filled with disgust.”

Arale’s post said jumping to the Liberals would be the biggest mistake of Sitsabaiesan’s political career.

“Scarborough has continuously been screwed for decades by politicians that cared more about their pension then making a difference,” he wrote.

“I have known you for a few years and genuinely thought you cared about the lives of me and my fellow neighbors, but I guess all you really care about is getting elected.”

Arale added Scarborough residents are now angry about how they’ve been treated by Ontario’s Liberal government, and “will not elect a turncoat that will neglect them.”

After reading a news report on Sitsabaiesan’s decision published before the announcement, Andrea Moffat, her campaign manager in 2011, said she didn’t know if it was true, “but if so I will be very disappointed.”

Full text below

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/6513822-former-ndp-mp-sitsabaies...

Lou Arab Lou Arab's picture

mark_alfred wrote:

nicky wrote:

With the NDP in the doldrums more or less across the country I would not be surprised to see more Liberal overtures.

There's currently some very heavy flirtation of Notley by the federal Liberals. 

 

Total, first rate garbage.

Rachel has been an NDP member since she was 14. Her father built the party in Alberta. She will never, ever run  for the Liberals.

 

Lou Arab Lou Arab's picture

duplicate

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

It appears to me that terrytowel has been reincarnated as Mighty Middle. Welcome back, TT, I mean MM.

Mighty Middle

Michael Moriarity wrote:

It appears to me that terrytowel has been reincarnated as Mighty Middle. Welcome back, TT, I mean MM.

Who is terrytowel? I'm a former constiuent of Rathika's, that is why I joined this board.

Misfit

TT is from Scarborough. Coincidence?

Unionist

You know, Michael Moriarity and Misfit, it is against babble policy to speculate about the identity (real or assumed) of babblers.

Both of you are more than intelligent and responsible enough to deal with people's opinions as posted, without idle ad hominem rambling mixed in. It only creates bad feelings.

Welcome to babble, Mighty Middle!

 

Mighty Middle

Unionist wrote:

Welcome to babble, Mighty Middle!

Thanks Unionist! Kinda of strange to be confused with someone else. There is more than one person from Scarbrough. Geez.

Misfit

@Unionist, I've seen it done before by better and much more respected people on this board without being called out on it. We'll soon know though from the childish behaviour if it is who we think it is.

Mighty Middle

Well I assure you I'm not this Terry Towel you seem to be confusing me with. I came to babble to participate in the sex workers forum. I only piped in this thread because I live in Rathika riding. I rarely get into politics (unless it is sex work), so you won't see me discussing politics at all, unless Scarborough or sex work is in the news. Smile

swallow

How about sex work in Scarborough? ;) 

nicky

MM utterly lacks Terry...l's manic disingeuity and orgasmic glee whenever bad happens to the NDP. They cannot possibly be the same person.

I never doubted your bona fides for a second MM.

Unionist

swallow wrote:

How about sex work in Scarborough? ;) 

Hey, "swallow" - that crack sounds suspiciously like the "humour" of "Capistrano", who used to post here in the 1990s if memory serves.

So what's your game, huh??

Do you think we're dumb, err, huh???

You think we don't keep TRACK?? Heyy???

You're not foolin' anyone.

Why don't you just go back to Capistrano???????

Ok????

Over and out.

And that, my friends, is what I think of Rathika Sitsabaiesan.

 

 

MegB

Mighty Middle wrote:

Well I assure you I'm not this Terry Towel you seem to be confusing me with. I came to babble to participate in the sex workers forum. I only piped in this thread because I live in Rathika riding. I rarely get into politics (unless it is sex work), so you won't see me discussing politics at all, unless Scarborough or sex work is in the news. Smile

Welcome to babble Mighty Middle! The rest of you back off. (I'm the moderator here, BTW).

Mighty Middle

Thanks Meg B, Thanks Nicky and thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

nicky wrote:

MM utterly lacks Terry...l's manic disingeuity and orgasmic glee whenever bad happens to the NDP. They cannot possibly be the same person.

I never doubted your bona fides for a second MM.

I also didn't see any resemblance in posting styles. Given there are over 600,000 people who live in Scarborough that seems like an odd reason for thinking that he was TT.

Welcome MM hope you enjoy our tumultuous chat site. 

Ciabatta2

This move for Rathika makes a lot of sense.  Politically, she came up in the NDP of the 2000s, just as the federal and provincial parties started to eat away at the Liberal's progressive wing so she's likely to be very close to Wynne on policy matters.  In terms of her career, she's really got no other option.  She never really hit it off in Ottawa, got in hot water about her trip to Sri Lanka, and served as little else than HoC video footage fodder for the rest of her term.  She came in third under the NDP in her last election.  Had she run for the provincial NDP in the by-election, anything but a win would kill her career completely.  And the NDP is in no position to win.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Ciabatta2 wrote:

This move for Rathika makes a lot of sense. 

I think that what we really need are politicians that are totally focused on making sure that they are sucking as much money out of the system as possible. Money mouth Who needs politicians who have good ideas for public policy that will improve our society when we can have people who think of themselves first and foremost? Money mouth

It is a calculated risk given that if it really is a contested nomination and she doesn't get the nod that will also kill her political career. If she wins the nomination I hope she comes in third in the by-election and that will put a stake through her vampire heart.

jjuares

Unfortunately for her the gaffe about Canada's population made her the target of many jokes. I don't think her reputation ever recovered.

Ciabatta2

kropotkin1951 wrote:

It is a calculated risk given that if it really is a contested nomination and she doesn't get the nod that will also kill her political career. If she wins the nomination I hope she comes in third in the by-election and that will put a stake through her vampire heart.

Certainly no arguments with your first paragraph.  Yeah, there's careerism in this but I just don't see this choice as out of step with her values.  And I can see how she may have soured on the NDP.  She certainly was never taken very seriously by the federal NDP.  The question is whether that was warranted or just sexism/agism/unfairness.  In my dealings with her she was always very kind but to see her later get elected was a big WTF moment.  She certianly retreated from prominence post election so the only way to know is to see her in action again, I guess.

To be honest, if she's been wooed (and it's not clear that she has) I don't think they're all that interested in her and more just want to embarass the NDP.  She's only attractive to the Liberals if she loses the nomination.  That way they've turned a boring sure-fire win into a newstory by one-overing Horwath and not being stuck with a loose canon former NDPer as MPP. 

Party favour

It seems more likely she realized she couldn't win the NDP nomination, contacted the Liberals, and was encouraged to make the swtich. 

Ciabatta2

No, I think she would have had a lock on the NDP nomination in that riding.  Particularly against Neethan Shan.  I think she probably contacted the Liberals after assessing the NDP's prospects of winning the by-election and the current popularity of the Trudeau-Wynne progressive agenda.

Today's Cornerstore stories certainly don't help either.

Party favour

Ciabatta2 wrote:

No, I think she would have had a lock on the NDP nomination in that riding.  Particularly against Neethan Shan.

Neethan Shan, particularly as a former ONDP president, has a lot more pull with the riding association and the party. Even if he didn't run for it himself he could have probably blocked her.  Here's the public post he made recently on his Facebook page which makes it quite clear, I think, that this anti-Rathika sentiment has been brewing for some time.

 

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153729604076374&id=506776373&pnref=story

Quote:
We, the progressive activists in Scarborough Rouge River, have been building a strong political and social movement through NDP for almost 10 years now and as a result of that, we have had great successes in growing our support electorally but more importantly in increasing the awareness about issues of poverty, racism, health inequities, cuts to public education system, workers rights, lack of affordable childcare, climate change, increasing costs to post secondary education, hydro rates, insurance, indigenous rights, human rights in the world and the list goes on. We have a lot to be proud of, including the fact we have hundreds of youth actively engaged in our effort. Our movement continues to grow and we believe that electoral victory is just one of the paths to the ultimate goal. It itself cannot and will not be the goal. Our ultimate goal is that we want a creation of a socially, economically, politically and racially just and equal society here in Scarborough, in our city, in our province, in our country and of course in our world. This is not an easy goal so we are not expecting any easy way to get there. And therefore, we are prepared to work hard and to take on the challenges and to break the barriers we face on our way. 

The way I see the recent development in our riding is this: one of the recent barriers we have had for our movement has been in the form of an individual disguising as a progressive while holding out movement behind from growing and expanding is now gone. We can now move forward. But we will need to double our efforts to make sure we catch up and make up for the time lost due to the fact that a few of us took a break when this show about nothing was playing on big screen. We will need to remember, we are not celebrities, we are activists. Even as politicians, we are activists first. That is our defining characteristic, so let's say goodbye to the distraction and continue the fight! [emphasis added] 

wage zombie

He's not talking about Mulcair is he?

Party favour

wage zombie wrote:

He's not talking about Mulcair is he?

In context, he was talking about Rathika - but you do make an interesting point. Laughing

Ciabatta2

Possibly he could have used his position to influence the outcome, but Rathika has pull in the community and probably could have won it, I think.  I think his comments probably would have been very different had Rathika not switched teams.  Both of their rationales seem pretty convenient to me.

I think part of the problem with Shan's statement is that the NDP needs to figure out that being you don't need to be left wing to be progressive.  That's the NDP's big challene in the upcoming provincial election in Ontario.  If they can't get around that they are going to get trounced.

nicky

I'm told by someone who should know that Rathika initially wanted the NDP nomination in the by-election but had alienated so many people in the riding that she was unlikely to get it. That's when she became a Liberal. My friend also advises that she is unlikely to get the Liberal nomination either.

Mighty Middle

nicky wrote:

I'm told by someone who should know that Rathika initially wanted the NDP nomination in the by-election but had alienated so many people in the riding that she was unlikely to get it. That's when she became a Liberal. My friend also advises that she is unlikely to get the Liberal nomination either.

That is sad, because if she loses the Liberal nomination her political career is pretty much over. Her only option left in politics is to run in municipal politics where you don't run under any party banner.

Party favour

Mighty Middle wrote:

nicky wrote:

I'm told by someone who should know that Rathika initially wanted the NDP nomination in the by-election but had alienated so many people in the riding that she was unlikely to get it. That's when she became a Liberal. My friend also advises that she is unlikely to get the Liberal nomination either.

That is sad, because if she loses the Liberal nomination her political career is pretty much over. Her only option left in politics is to run in municipal politics where you don't run under any party banner.

It's only sad if it's undeserved. If the stories about her attitude and behaviour as an MP are true then it's no wonder she's alienated the people who should have been her closest supporters in both the party and the community and therefore is going to have difficulty getting elected. Sounds a bit like what happened to Gerard Kennedy who also alienated a large number of the people around him over the years and consequently found his political prospects getting narrower and narrower. 

Debater

I wonder if that is one of the reasons why Gerard Kennedy didn't run in Parkdale-High Park last year?

A lower-profile Liberal was able to beat Peggy Nash, so if he had got the Liberal nomination he would have won.

But perhaps he wasn't too popular in Liberal circles by that point.

Party favour

Debater wrote:

I wonder if that is one of the reasons why Gerard Kennedy didn't run in Parkdale-High Park last year?

A lower-profile Liberal was able to beat Peggy Nash, so if he had got the Liberal nomination he would have won.

But perhaps he wasn't too popular in Liberal circles by that point.

It's interesting to look at the list of  the people who endorsed him in 1996 for OLP leader and the list from the 2006 federal leadership and see how many of them endorsed someone else when he ran for OLP leader in 2013.

Debater

His OLP leadership run certainly wasn't very successful.

It came down to a race between Wynne & Pupatello.

He didn't even factor into the final equation very much at all.

I think Kennedy also lost credibility by being so invisible during his federal term in Parliament.  I wasn't surprised that Nash used it against him in the 2011 election.

Many people were expecting another re-match between Kennedy & Nash in 2015, but he didn't seem motivated to try.

nicky

Wasn't Kennedy supported by one Justin Trudeau when he ran for the federal leadership?

It seems odd that he would be frozen out as a feral candidate just a few years later when his former backer became the leader.

Party favour

I understand that he went through many staffers as well, was considered a difficult employer and not a 'team player' by his provincial cabinet colleagues and then by his federal caucus colleagues. It's difficult to succeed in politics if you can't build loyalty from people 'under' you and respect from people who are your equals or superiors. 

montrealer58 montrealer58's picture

It's amazing how Gerard has dropped out of sight. He has supporters...

Ciabatta2

Kennedy had a bad rep as Minister and team player, and was known as an entering spot for new party staffers - get both feet in the door, and hop out to a new position as soon as possible.  But really that's not stopped many successful politicians - ultimately having failed at leading both the provincial and federal parties he had nothing left to achieve by running to be MP again.  It's a tough life and if you have aspirations beyond being an MPP and you've experienced it all and have been shut down for higher things then it's not necessarily worth it.

ctrl190

montrealer58 wrote:

It's amazing how Gerard has dropped out of sight. He has supporters...

 

I heard from a very good source that Kennedy was planning to run for the Liberal nod in High Park last year but backed out when the riding and party establishment was rallying behind newcomer (and eventual MP) Arif Virani.

Mighty Middle

Rathika Sitsabaiesan just expanded her FB post into an OP-ED for the Huffington Post Canada

I Am Seeking Liberal Nomination Because I Believe In Progress by Rathika Sitsabaiesan

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/rathika-sitsabaiesan/progressives_b_9832492...

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Mighty Middle wrote:

Rathika Sitsabaiesan just expanded her FB post into an OP-ED for the Huffington Post Canada

I Am Seeking Liberal Nomination Because I Believe In Progress by Rathika Sitsabaiesan

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/rathika-sitsabaiesan/progressives_b_9832492...

She speaks excellent platitude.

swallow

Sheesh, does she ever! 

"I am a progressive who, like Jack Layton, believes in progress and that our best days are ahead, not behind us." 

"The road ahead is clear to me, there are opportunities to represent my communities and I cannot ignore them."

"I'm standing up for the progress we've made in Ontario, and the progress we need to make for a brighter future. I look forward to the opportunity to fight with, not against, Kathleen Wynne on her progressive agenda as part of her activist government. Together, we will continue to make progress." 

She uses "progress" or "progressive" 27 times in a fairly short article. Apparently "Being progressive means being principled, and standing up for progress."

So, I'm, like, totally inspired. Undefined "progress" now! Or some time, anyway. Vote early and often! For progress! And progressive governemnt! Achieved, er, I dunno, progressively, I guess. 

Geoff

I think when she says "progress", she's referring to the "progress" of her own career.

Stockholm

Neethan Shan has just announced he is running for the NDP nomination in Scarborough-Rouge River

Pages