I'm %$##@**&@%# Outta Here!!!

141 posts / 0 new
Last post
KenS

Does old goat count as supervision?

oldgoat

Nah

 

laine lowe laine lowe's picture

God will watch over us. Smile

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

Well, shit.

oldgoat

Welcome back.  We've all had loads of fun while you were away.

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

We did? It was just the same !@#$%^&*@@ old grind for me.

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

Thanks for looking after the place, oldgoat. It already looks a mite brighter. Like a half-empty bottle of joie de vivre.

Wilf Day

oldgoat wrote:

Welcome back.  We've all had loads of fun while you were away.

Was that a hint?

Slumberjack

It's that time of the year again to set off for a bit of a slumber, as I've felt it coming on in my bones for awhile now but it can't be put off for much longer. There's summer time with its assortment of pleasant distractions, along with reading, work to do on my very first blog that's proceeding rather well; and it's even got followers already! Imagine..me...with followers. Anyways, hopefully they're not with the police. I'll probably still post here..or at the other place, but much less overall for awhile.

And concurrent with all of that, it's just as well for the time being because it's quite discouraging that much silencing from every angle has occurred, along with an array of implied or stated recriminations, so much so that it seems as if a universal mute button has been engaged. Conversation and listening have been rendered nearly impossible as a result.

onlinediscountanvils

Slumberjack wrote:

It's that time of the year again to set off for a bit of a slumber, as I've felt it coming on in my bones for awhile now but it can't be put off for much longer. There's summer time with its assortment of pleasant distractions, along with reading, work to do on my very first blog that's proceeding rather well; and it's even got followers already!

Hope you have a pleasant summer!

Are you going to tell us how we can follow this blog of yours? Or do we simply have to wait until you [url=http://www.artofeurope.com/shelley/she5.htm]rise like a lion after slumber"[/url]?

NDPP

Hey Slumberjack - always look forward to reading you. Have a great summer and don't be a stranger..

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

Hurry back, eh. Smile

Slumberjack

Did anything happen to M. Spector?  You know how people disappear into the night from time to time.

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

I saw a couple of posts by MS on Rabble not long ago.

NDPP

I think something was posted to Rabble, but nothing on babble for many moons now...

Slumberjack

Anyone seen Fidel lately?

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

Didn't Fidel post this week? I saw his name on TAT.

janfromthebruce

I've noticed that North Report has gone missing. I also notice the drop of babblers, as each year passes.

onlinediscountanvils

North Report posted at least as recently as the 25th in the B.C. election thread. Does a three day absence count as 'missing'?

janfromthebruce

Well I don't know but it's unusal online because she/he posted daily and many times - links to articles about the BC election (in particular).

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Maybe he/she took their own advice and have been out knocking on doors or working the telephones.

Now if you want to talk about someone who has left the board then the post above you is a good example. Boom Boom was one of my favourite posters and he has been gone for quite sometime.

Bacchus

Hes active in one of the other boards, at least up to the 27th

Caissa

Boom Boom tends to have difficulties with the improved Babble.

janfromthebruce

I'm sure NR is active in BC election. I also noted BB absence. I found this thread an interesting read, and yes there has been many regular babblers who have quit. I also think that judgments, personal attacks and just nastiness does play a role in people turning away from commenting.

Caissa

I guess it needs to be asked: Are Fidel's postings doing "damage" to the Board or are they just more of a "headache"? I'm posting it here because CF asked that any discussion of it takes place in Reactions. I'll admit I'm finding his postings more obscure, obtuse and dense but I'm not sure repeated suspensions and/or an expulsion  will solve the problem.  I write this in acknowledgement  that moderating is not easy. Fidel is a long time babbler and I'd hate to see us lose his voice and I say that in full knowledge that I disagree with him much more often than not.

Unionist

Agreed.

Slumberjack

Fidel strikes me as a person who likely knows well enough by now that vendettas are reactionary impulses that begets even more reaction.  It's a vicious cycle that the Capitalists have perfected.  The perspective of a flea on an inaccessible part of the bovine arse nearest to where the bullshit pours out seems a better position than always placing oneself within reach of the swishing tail.

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

Hi Caissa. Thanks for your post -- I agree with much of it. I don't feel comfortable discussing Fidel as if he wasn't reading this, so I'll only add that his last post undoubtedly strayed into the "damage" side of the equation, and it's not a one-off, but part of an increasingly hostile trajectory. I just don't have the time or desire to keep that kind of behaviour around, irrespective of Fidel's longtime contributions to this board.

Caissa

So what is the damage, Catchfire?

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

A full frontal attack on babble's feminist mandate that would get a new member banned in a heartbeat by a poster around long enough to know better? Endlessly pursuing petty vendettas against multiple posters on multiple threads? Generating a hostile environment in every thread he posts in? Just off the top of my head.

Slumberjack

He might also consider better managing the frustration that stems from investing in theories that fewer people have any time for these days, such as international conspiracies that are pointless to elaborate on because we're already instinctive toward the worst that the capitalist experience can provide, along with notions of peace, order and good government à la the NDP, a situation which is partly attributable to the fact that our over-saturated minds are continuously being drawn toward the latest spectacles on offer.

Slumberjack

I wonder if it wouldn't be nice if more people weighed in to support both Fidel and board civility in general, if only to demonstrate that not everyone is a gladio-imperialist-al-CIAduh sympathizer, so that perhaps going forward in that spirit he might reserve his reactionary tongue from some of you.

6079_Smith_W

Slumberjack wrote:

not everyone is a gladio-imperialist-al-CIAduh sympathizer.

Are there any of those here?

And without weighing in on other babblers, I wasn't aware there was any correlation between politics and civil discourse. I think William F. Buckley only once threatened to punch Gore Vidal in the face (and it was after Vidal called him a crypto-Nazi). Other than that the arch-conservative was very polite.

Not to misread, but I don't think you can confuse defense of the cause (whatever that is for you) with defense of other things.

 

Slumberjack

So we're marking you down then as incalcitrant to suggestion on the table.

6079_Smith_W

I'm not sure what the suggestion is, SJ.

I'm all for civility, but  if you are saying that civil behaviour is only required with people of our political stripe then no, I don't agree. And I certainly don't think anyone here needs prove anything about values and politics, and I don't know what this vendetta is that you are talking about.

 

 

 

 

Slumberjack

Is there such a thing as, a Bob Cole school of online commentary?

6079_Smith_W

That one went right over my head, SJ.

ygtbk

I'm not a sports guy so I had to Google it. Apparently an announcer prone to malapropisms.

But if it makes any difference, I'm in favour of both civility and Fidel's continued participation.

6079_Smith_W

Yeah, I googled it too. Doesn't help much if it's not clear what he's referring to.

To be honest, I can think of a few people I wasn't sad to see go. Without getting into details that have already been mentioned, Fidel isn't one of them.

My point is (and I am speaking generally here) that these assumptions of vendettas, or that someone having the wrong politics makes it okay to tell him or her to fuck off then go back and erase the evidence, or assume that they are capitalist agents and are somehow to blame for that kind of reaction is absolute crap.

There's plenty of people here I don't agree with on certain issues; I don't assume they're out to get me, or that their presence here is a threat to this board. Quite the opposite.

(edit)

And I should add, that that thing about vendetta goes double when it comes to accusing the moderators. I may not agree with them on everything, but I expect they hold their tongues more than they act. I think it helps to understand who runs the house and where the door is. If someone can't deal with that, the internet is a big place (to get back to the topic heading)

 

NDPP

Slumberjack wrote:

I wonder if it wouldn't be nice if more people weighed in to support both Fidel and board civility in general

I support both

janfromthebruce

ditto to both Fidel and board civility in general and downturn of venettas.

Unionist

Agreed, again.

6079_Smith_W

Yes we all say we want civility, and I don't think any of us wants anyone here to be gone (I don't, anyway).

Thing is, if every time the moderators have to enforce that civility people start imagining that something else is going on and undermining that, that isn't really supporting civility when it counts, is it?

I mean I know we have all seen bad calls, and as posters we have all been guilty of disrupting that civility on occasion.

But does anyone imaging that anyone else doing that job wouldn't be put in exactly the same position, and get the same grief for giving someone a time out?

 

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

I won't be enforcing civility. That's up to all y'all.

At the current moment, Fidel has made it clear he doesn't want to return. Also at the current moment, he's not welcome back without a commitment to a change of outlook which hasn't been forthcoming. 

6079_Smith_W

Whatever you want to call it, I have just seen enough times where people have been repeatedly warned for serious things and finally get canned, and from the response you'd think we were trying to get some freedom fighter out of prison.

These situations are difficult enough without that, and conspiracy theories complicating them.

RevolutionPlease RevolutionPlease's picture

Solidarity, Fidel, my friend...

NDPP

the point is that Fidel joins a too long list of those run off, mostly people who took an interest in international affairs and whose views were considered unconventional and sometimes controversial by some . Too bad for Babble which will be poorer for the loss. And yes, I would consider him and at least several of those chopped to be 'freedom fighters'. And their chopping not unrelated to that either.

6079_Smith_W

Are you saying you think people have been cut or run off not because of behaviour or going against policy, but because of their politics?

Serious question.

Slumberjack

Catchfire wrote:
I won't be enforcing civility.

What do you mean in saying you won't be enforcing civility?  Is this a new leaf or something, because this is what you've been doing all along?

Slumberjack

NDPP wrote:
the point is that Fidel joins a too long list of those run off, mostly people who took an interest in international affairs and whose views were considered unconventional and sometimes controversial by some.

I can tell you he won't be the last either.

Pages

Topic locked