Outremont by-election February 25, 2019

175 posts / 0 new
Last post
NorthReport
Outremont by-election February 25, 2019

Julia Sánchez: An outspoken advocate for Canada’s non-governmental organizations

https://interpares.ca/voice/julia-s%C3%A1nchez-outspoken-advocate-canada...

Regions: 
NorthReport

Caught!

Liberals to fork over $500 for using PM’s office for fundraising video

https://globalnews.ca/news/4832663/liberals-fundraising-video-prime-mini...

Debater

Isn't this thread supposed to be about the Outremont by-election?

Anyway, here are some new comments from Mulcair today about Outremont:

Because of this pressure, Mulcair said the party will likely throw all of its resources at Singh’s race – which could be to the detriment of the other two byelections.

“The number one place where the NDP is going to be putting its time, money and energy is of course in Burnaby South, where Mr. Singh has finally decided to run in a byelection,” Mulcair said.

“I think that it’s going to be very tough for Julia Sanchez and the NDP in Outremont.”

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/singh-s-leadership-days-likely-numbered-if-he-loses-byelection-mulcair-1.4247166

lagatta4

But re-electing the NDP in Outremont - long a Liberal Party bastion - would be of key importance for the NDP in Québec!

Does Julia Sánchez have a campaign office yet?

Unionist

lagatta4 wrote:

But re-electing the NDP in Outremont - long a Liberal Party bastion - would be of key importance for the NDP in Québec!

Yes and no. It would be important in terms of avoiding utter humiliation, but the campaign here will have little or no impact in other ridings.

Quote:
Does Julia Sánchez have a campaign office yet?

Good question. If so, it should be listed here somewhere, but I can't find it. No address, no local phone number...

NorthReport

Let's cut through all the Liberal BS and see what the respective candidates say about Pharmacare.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/article-globe-editori...

NorthReport

‘He knows the rules’: NDP MP cries foul over Trudeau fundraising video shot in PM's parliamentary office

Charlie Angus said filming the ad there was a ‘bush league’ move. ‘He seems to believe that because he’s Justin Trudeau, prime minister, rules don’t apply’

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/he-knows-the-rules-ndp-mp-cries-f...

bekayne

NorthReport wrote:

‘He knows the rules’: NDP MP cries foul over Trudeau fundraising video shot in PM's parliamentary office

Charlie Angus said filming the ad there was a ‘bush league’ move. ‘He seems to believe that because he’s Justin Trudeau, prime minister, rules don’t apply’

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/he-knows-the-rules-ndp-mp-cries-f...

His office is in Outremont? That'll make for a long commute.

Unionist

NorthReport wrote:

Let's cut through all the Liberal BS and see what the respective candidates say about Pharmacare.

Sanchez's riding office is behind the Pharmaprix? Which shopping centre?

WWWTT

lagatta4 wrote:

But re-electing the NDP in Outremont - long a Liberal Party bastion - would be of key importance for the NDP in Québec!

Does Julia Sánchez have a campaign office yet?

Agreed!

very difficult for the NDP because Sanchez looks like she has a lot of fire in her and she’s definitely (at this point to me) the best possible candidate the NDP has in the region to replace Mulcair. 

I wish her the best of luck

Debater

NorthReport wrote:

‘He knows the rules’: NDP MP cries foul over Trudeau fundraising video shot in PM's parliamentary office

Charlie Angus said filming the ad there was a ‘bush league’ move. ‘He seems to believe that because he’s Justin Trudeau, prime minister, rules don’t apply’

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/he-knows-the-rules-ndp-mp-cries-f...

Yes, you've posted that story twice on this thread now.

As the story says, the NDP has ethical problems of its own with the satellite office lawsuit, and the Conservatives have been found to have filmed fundraising videos of their own inside Parliament.  So all 3 parties seem to be playing loose with the rules.

Let's try to keep the non-related stories out of this thread and keep it focused on Outremont, shall we?

cco

Unionist wrote:

Quote:
Does Julia Sánchez have a campaign office yet?

Good question. If so, it should be listed here somewhere, but I can't find it. No address, no local phone number...

It opens tomorrow, on av. du Parc not far from Rosemont metro. I'll post the address once it's officially open.

Ken Burch Ken Burch's picture

Debater wrote:

NorthReport wrote:

‘He knows the rules’: NDP MP cries foul over Trudeau fundraising video shot in PM's parliamentary office

Charlie Angus said filming the ad there was a ‘bush league’ move. ‘He seems to believe that because he’s Justin Trudeau, prime minister, rules don’t apply’

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/he-knows-the-rules-ndp-mp-cries-f...

Yes, you've posted that story twice on this thread now.

As the story says, the NDP has ethical problems of its own with the satellite office lawsuit, and the Conservatives have been found to have filmed fundraising videos of their own inside Parliament.  So all 3 parties seem to be playing loose with the rules.

Let's try to keep the non-related stories out of this thread and keep it focused on Outremont, shall we?

The satellite office thing was seven years ago under a previous leader.  

Ken Burch Ken Burch's picture

Question:  do the federal election laws about not reporting results on tv and radio until all polling stations are closed apply to this situation, in which by-elections in different parts of the country are held on the same day?

Asking because I'm wondering if people in BC would know that, say, the Liberals might have taken Outremont while they are still voting out in Burnaby?

NorthReport

Get used to the Liberal poster called Debater.

He has been around here for a long time with different aliases (Lens Solution was one) but his BS postings are not very hard to pick out no matter what name he posts under.   

Sean in Ottawa

NorthReport wrote:

Get used to the Liberal poster called Debater.

He has been around here for a long time with different aliases (Lens Solution was one) but his BS postings are not very hard to pick out no matter what name he posts under.   

Do you have proof of this? Otherwise you should delete the allegation.

pietro_bcc

Ken Burch wrote:

Question:  do the federal election laws about not reporting results on tv and radio until all polling stations are closed apply to this situation, in which by-elections in different parts of the country are held on the same day?

Asking because I'm wondering if people in BC would know that, say, the Liberals might have taken Outremont while they are still voting out in Burnaby?

Those rules were revoked by Elections Canada since the last federal election.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/election-night-results-black...

So no, there will be no media blackout, not sure if they ever applied to by-elections in any case.

Debater

Sean in Ottawa wrote:

NorthReport wrote:

Get used to the Liberal poster called Debater.

He has been around here for a long time with different aliases (Lens Solution was one) but his BS postings are not very hard to pick out no matter what name he posts under.   

Do you have proof of this? Otherwise you should delete the allegation.

North Report made another personal attack against me on the Polling Thread.

I think I will have to report it to the moderator.

Until my return a couple weeks ago, I hadn't posted here in 6 months since last May or June.  I don't have any other aliases.

Debater

Map of Outremont  in 2015 posted online today:

NorthReport

Go back into the posting archives and you will see it all. First he came here posting that he was an NDP supporter and when that didn't wash, he got suspended, but came back under a different alias. He has had several aliases here over the years.

Sean in Ottawa wrote:

NorthReport wrote:

Get used to the Liberal poster called Debater.

He has been around here for a long time with different aliases (Lens Solution was one) but his BS postings are not very hard to pick out no matter what name he posts under.   

Do you have proof of this? Otherwise you should delete the allegation.

Sean in Ottawa

NorthReport wrote:

Go back into the posting archives and you will see it all. First he came here posting that he was an NDP supporter and when that didn't wash, he got suspended, but came back under a different alias. He has had several aliases here over the years.

Sean in Ottawa wrote:

NorthReport wrote:

Get used to the Liberal poster called Debater.

He has been around here for a long time with different aliases (Lens Solution was one) but his BS postings are not very hard to pick out no matter what name he posts under.   

Do you have proof of this? Otherwise you should delete the allegation.

I have been here many years and seen many allegations of aliases without proof. Yes some may have similarities and some even may be true but I suspect most are not. I am sensitive to this as I have once been accused of it as well and I never posted under any other name.

NorthReport

Your character is quite different Sean and I am quite sure you have never posted under a different handle.

NorthReport

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh campaigns in Montreal ahead of byelection

 - Dec 23

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/ndp-leader-jagmeet-singh-cam...

lagatta4

There is nothing on avenue du Parc near métro Rosemont. There is a Pharmaprix at the corner of St-Laurent and St-Denis, and another on Van Horne near métro OUTREMONT, which would make sense as it is in the heart of the riding. It is practical for me if I should wish to volunteer as the 160 bus runs from round the corner from my place (which is in Petite-Italie, the western part of Rosemont-La-Petite-Patrie to Outremont métro and westbound from there.

Rosemont métro is in La Petite Patrie (Rosemont is farther east), on boulevard Rosemont just west of St-Denis.  Just west of there Rosemont becomes an elevated highway-type road and is Van Horne west of there, through the top end of Outremont (the borough, not the riding which is larger). The part of the Plateau included in Outremont riding is basically Mile-End.

You can see that Trudeau's riding, Papineau, abuts Outremont in the north and northeast, as does Rosemont - La-Petite-Patrie (Alexandre Boulerice's riding and where I live), Laurier-Ste-Marie is Hélène Laverdière's riding (most of the Plateau) and was long Gilles Duceppe's riding.

Neither of the Pharmaprix branches I have mentioned is in a shopping centre. I don't recall whether there is a Pharmaprix at Wilderton shopping centre farther west (probably still in that riding now). The Van Horne one would be a more logical choice, as it is very central and very close to the métro.

cco

The address is 5727 av. du Parc, which admittedly is a little farther from Rosemont metro than I remembered (I was thinking of the launch event last year, held at the Ping Pong Club on Saint-Laurent). It's not behind a Pharmaprix.

lagatta4

It is nowhere near a Pharmaprix; the two I mentioned are the closest. Here it is: https://www.suttonquebec.com/fr/inscription/location-d-espace-commercial...

It is right next to the Rialto Theatre and close to two pharmacies - Uniprix and Jean-Coutu.  Actually, that is an easy walk from my place, but I don't want to go anywhere in this cold wave, with sinus trouble. At least one friend will be volunteering; she really likes Julia.

I suppose that the opening will be announced on her website and twitter.

Unionist

Thanks, cco.

Lagatta: I was joking when I said Pharmaprix. It was just an obscure way of mocking NR's usual habit of posting of the wrong things in the wrong thread - this time it was about Pharmacare. I apologize. 

lagatta4

Ha! And then I am such a geek about urban geography - I can see all those places and their spatial relations as if I were walking through them.

It strikes me as a good location as it is on the frequent 80 bus and the 16o (unfortunately not so frequent). Technically this is in Mile-End, but both most of Mile-End and parts of CDN are in Outremont riding - doesn't it now also encompass parts of TMR/VMR? I can't remember what that locale was before; I think was one of the many local Chassidic businesses, but I don't remember which one.  Not far from the PA Supermarkets (good prices and good produce).

As for issues, Pharmacare of course, but also Dentalcare, and better access to mental health professionals.

Unionist

lagatta4 wrote:

Technically this is in Mile-End, but both most of Mile-End and parts of CDN are in Outremont riding - doesn't it now also encompass parts of TMR/VMR?

I believe TMR in its entirety is in the Mont-Royal riding, as is CSL, but I stand to be corrected. All of CDN is in Outremont - I believe. Mile-End - not sure whether all of it is in Outremont, but most certainly is.

Quote:
As for issues, Pharmacare of course, but also Dentalcare, and better access to mental health professionals.

Those are great issues - but not for a federal byelection in February IMHO.

PS: For those who may not be aware, Québec already has a form of Obama-Pharmacare. As this 2015 op-ed pointed out: "Twenty years ago, Quebec's system was a great step forward, but it is certainly not a model for the 21st century. While it did provide better access to prescription drugs, the system remains inequitable, inefficient and unsustainable, ..." Québec Solidaire is proposing real Pharmacare. I have no idea what the NDP is prepared to do (or prepared to promise to pretend to do) federally.

But I don't want to follow NR's lead into derailment of this thread, so that's just a PS.

Debater

Unionist wrote:

But I don't want to follow NR's lead into derailment of this thread, so that's just a PS.

Thanks, Unionist.  Good point.  I've been trying to add some interesting features to this thread by sharing riding polls & maps, so I wish NR would stay on topic and stop the personal attacks.

So what do you think of the 2015 Map of Outremont I posted at #19?  Which section of Outremont do you live in?  Do the party colours across the riding match up with the way you thought the riding would vote?

NorthReport

Liberal Scott Bryson is retiring for family reasons Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/brison-mark-norman-trudeau-supply-ship-1.4974115

josh

Is he going to run in Outremont instead?

lagatta4

Of course not. Rachel Dayan, a young lawyer, is running again for "Team Trudeau". And I've read that Daniel Green (yep) is standing for the Green Party.

NorthReport

Mulcair reminds me of the Hillary Clintons, the Joe Bidens, the Paul Martins, etc

Time to move on bud!

What a loser!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/war-of-words-current-previous-ndp-leaders-spar-over-state-of-the-party-1.4250560

Unionist

Debater wrote:

So what do you think of the 2015 Map of Outremont I posted at #19?  Which section of Outremont do you live in?  Do the party colours across the riding match up with the way you thought the riding would vote?

I live in Côte-des-Neiges. I'm no kind of electoral nerd, so I don't analyze polls, neighbourhoods, party preferences. I was (perhaps unduly) confident that Mulcair would win, and I was content with that. I've voted for him ever since he jumped ship (2007), and would do so again if he were running again - notwithstanding our small personal and many political differences. He has never been given sufficient credit for his critical role in pulling a team of candidates together and enabling the "orange wave". 2015 was difficult, because Quebecers realized that the federalist party they had randomly picked in order to defeat the Harper Conservatives was not able to garner enough support in the rest of Canada to do the job. So Quebecers, as they are wont to do, did another leap, held their noses, and voted for a Trudeau. That worked. I fear they will do so again, unless some surprise xenophobic populist alternative (Max Bernier??) rears its head at the last minute.

josh

lagatta4 wrote:

Of course not. Rachel Dayan, a young lawyer, is running again for "Team Trudeau". And I've read that Daniel Green (yep) is standing for the Green Party.

 

Sarcasm.  NR.

 

josh

NorthReport wrote:

Mulcair reminds me of the Hillary Clintons, the Joe Bidens, the Paul Martins, etc

Time to move on bud!

What a loser!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/war-of-words-current-previous-ndp-leaders-spar-over-state-of-the-party-1.4250560

What?  The scales have fallen from your eyes?

NorthReport

What Scott Brison didn't mention in his resignation letter

Does that sound overly cynical? Perhaps. Brison may be completely sincere, one of the few of a myriad of politicians who abruptly pack it in, in the name of family

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-what-scott-brison-d...

lagatta4

Sorry, I got Rachel's last name a bit wrong. It is Bendayan, not Dayan. (Ben, Bin, Ibn - similar in Semitic languages to Mc, O' et in Celtic ones)...

Debater

Unionist wrote:

Debater wrote:

So what do you think of the 2015 Map of Outremont I posted at #19?  Which section of Outremont do you live in?  Do the party colours across the riding match up with the way you thought the riding would vote?

I live in Côte-des-Neiges. I'm no kind of electoral nerd, so I don't analyze polls, neighbourhoods, party preferences. I was (perhaps unduly) confident that Mulcair would win, and I was content with that. I've voted for him ever since he jumped ship (2007), and would do so again if he were running again - notwithstanding our small personal and many political differences. He has never been given sufficient credit for his critical role in pulling a team of candidates together and enabling the "orange wave". 2015 was difficult, because Quebecers realized that the federalist party they had randomly picked in order to defeat the Harper Conservatives was not able to garner enough support in the rest of Canada to do the job. So Quebecers, as they are wont to do, did another leap, held their noses, and voted for a Trudeau. That worked. I fear they will do so again, unless some surprise xenophobic populist alternative (Max Bernier??) rears its head at the last minute.

I think some Quebecers voted for Trudeau because they actually liked him & the positive campaign he ran.  Chantal Hebert said that Trudeau's campaign in 2015 was similar to Jack Layton's in 2011 and that it resonated with Quebecers.

As for Maxime Bernier, he says the PPC will be running a candidate in Outremont:

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1083716269663236097

wage zombie

NorthReport wrote:

Mulcair reminds me of the Hillary Clintons, the Joe Bidens, the Paul Martins, etc

Time to move on bud!

Yeah, I agree.  But I also remember you going on and on about Mulcair as if he was the second coming, and he was going to be the next PM, and all of that garbage.  Where's the mea culpa NR?  You were the biggest cheerleader for this "loser".

I also remember our Quebec posters telling us that Trudeau and the Libs were dead in the water in Quebec due to their support of the Clarity Act.  What happened there?

JKR

wage zombie wrote:

NorthReport wrote:

Mulcair reminds me of the Hillary Clintons, the Joe Bidens, the Paul Martins, etc

Time to move on bud!

Yeah, I agree.  But I also remember you going on and on about Mulcair as if he was the second coming, and he was going to be the next PM, and all of that garbage.  Where's the mea culpa NR?  You were the biggest cheerleader for this "loser".

Love means never having to say you're sorry.

Unionist

wage zombie wrote:

I also remember our Quebec posters telling us that Trudeau and the Libs were dead in the water in Quebec due to their support of the Clarity Act.  What happened there?

I don't recall what you're suggesting. The NDP voted in favour of the Clarity Act, and still managed to win 59 out of 75 seats in Québec in 2011. Yes, they later (I think 2013) called for its repeal, but that was never the red line for Quebecers, nor could it have been, given the 2011 results. The fundamental factors were the disillusionment in the Bloc, and the hatred for Harper. Those were the key factors in both 2011 and 2015.

Debater

I think what wage zombie is saying is that some people predicted that Justin Trudeau & the Liberals wouldn't be able to win in Quebec, particularly in Francophone ridings, because of their strong support of the Clarity Act and for being perceived as too federalist.

However, in the end those predictions were incorrect, as the Justin Trudeau Liberals finished 1st in Quebec in 2015, and won quite a few Francophone ridings -- all the way up to the Gaspésie.

Unionist

Debater wrote:

I think what wage zombie is saying is that some people predicted that Justin Trudeau & the Liberals wouldn't be able to win in Quebec, particularly in Francophone ridings, because of their strong support of the Clarity Act and for being perceived as too federalist.

No, Debater - what he said was "our Quebec posters" said that, not "some people". And I replied that I didn't recall that (I certainly didn't say that). And I went on to explain how illogical such a prediction might have been, given that the pro-Clarity Act NDP swept Québec in 2011. Perhaps you or wage zombie could remind me who made such a prediction. If it was me, and I forgot, I apologize and thank you both in advance.

Quote:
However, in the end those predictions were incorrect, as the Justin Trudeau Liberals finished 1st in Quebec in 2015, and won quite a few Francophone ridings -- all the way up to the Gaspésie.

Yes, that's a fairly well-known fact. I still don't appreciate generalizations under such labels as "our Quebec posters". Hope you understand why.

Mighty Middle

Tom Mulcair just said on Question Period he will NOT be camapiging for the NDP candidate in the Outremont by-election because he says since he is a "political pundit" now on both English and French media, it would be a conflict.

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

Mighty Middle wrote:

Tom Mulcair just said on Question Period he will NOT be camapiging for the NDP candidate in the Outremont by-election because he says since he is a "political pundit" now on both English and French media, it would be a conflict.

Sounds to me like a very polite way to say "Fuck you, Jagmeet".

Sean in Ottawa

Michael Moriarity wrote:

Mighty Middle wrote:

Tom Mulcair just said on Question Period he will NOT be camapiging for the NDP candidate in the Outremont by-election because he says since he is a "political pundit" now on both English and French media, it would be a conflict.

Sounds to me like a very polite way to say "Fuck you, Jagmeet".

Maybe. It is also possible that he does not want to grab the attention which he would as more known than the canddiate and a polarizing figure. He may feel that his contribution would not help so why bother?

WWWTT

Michael Moriarity wrote:

Mighty Middle wrote:

Tom Mulcair just said on Question Period he will NOT be camapiging for the NDP candidate in the Outremont by-election because he says since he is a "political pundit" now on both English and French media, it would be a conflict.

Sounds to me like a very polite way to say "Fuck you, Jagmeet".

Two things.

He probably never was an NDPer and he is now a full fledged member of the Canadian corporate imperialist media.

Congatulations Mulcair, give yourself a big pat on the back, you found a way to stay in the limelight, by stabbing people who once supported you in the back!

Geoff

Sean in Ottawa wrote:

Michael Moriarity wrote:

Mighty Middle wrote:

Tom Mulcair just said on Question Period he will NOT be camapiging for the NDP candidate in the Outremont by-election because he says since he is a "political pundit" now on both English and French media, it would be a conflict.

Sounds to me like a very polite way to say "Fuck you, Jagmeet".

Maybe. It is also possible that he does not want to grab the attention which he would as more known than the canddiate and a polarizing figure. He may feel that his contribution would not help so why bother?

Nah, I'm with Michael Moriarty.

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..grudge holding tom

Pages