Like this article? rabble is reader-supported journalism. Chip in to keep stories like these coming.
The Panama Papers scandal is all over the news, but what are the implications for the environment, and possibly more importantly why does no one seem surprised and what does that say about our society?
- Iceland’' Prime Minister Steps Down Amid Panama Papers Scandal
- How offshore banking is costing Canada billions of dollars a year
- Canada Revenue offered amnesty to wealthy KPMG clients in offshore tax 'sham'
- Huge Cost of Tax Evasion Revealed as Campaign to Tackle Tax Havens Launches
- Why the offshore tax haven crisis won't get fixed, despite Panama Papers
We also discuss the first CEO jailed for actions taken as a CEO in the USA, Donald Blankenship former head of Massey Energy and the recent third-term election for Brad Wall's government in Saskatchewan.
- Blankenship Gets Year in Prison Over Mine-Safety Conspiracy
- Brad Wall’s victory cements his place at centre of conservative movement
In the final section, we talk about renewable energy opportunities in Canada compared to the supposedly irresistible opportunities of continuing to invest in oil. Supposedly some pipeline might bring 130 or so jobs! Guess what… there's 70,000 potential jobs in Alberta for solar jobs alone in the next 25 years.
- Netherlands Moves To Only Allow EV Sales By 2025 – End Of Gas, Petrol
- Solar industry says 70,000 jobs knocking on Alberta's door
- This Tower Pulls Drinking Water Out of Thin Air
- How Big Oil Corrupted The World
The bonus show, hosted by Sabina Hyseni and Brenna Owen discuss Trudeau's comments about how supposedly oil and climate change don't conflict, and Catherine McKenna's comments about how NOT investing in oil threatens national unity. We call bullshit, you should listen to why.
Please join us on April 22 from 6pm to 9pm at 720 Bathurst – Centre for Social Innovation – Annex for a beverage and a chat to meet and hang out with the Green Majority team, past and present and other listeners to celebrate our 500th episode!You can get your very modestly priced tickets here.
We pretty much never get to all the news we find each week, see what else we flagged as important eco-news and VOTE for things you think we should come back to with VOTE FOR THE NEWS – click here.
This Weeks Music:
You can find the archive of older shows here.
Thank you for reading this story...
More people are reading rabble.ca than ever and unlike many news organizations, we have never put up a paywall – at rabble we’ve always believed in making our reporting and analysis free to all. But media isn’t free to produce. rabble’s total budget is likely less than what big corporate media spend on photocopying (we kid you not!) and we do not have any major foundation, sponsor or angel investor. Our only supporters are people and organizations -- like you. This is why we need your help.
If everyone who visits rabble and likes it chipped in a couple of dollars per month, our future would be much more secure and we could do much more: like the things our readers tell us they want to see more of: more staff reporters and more work to complete the upgrade of our website.
We’re asking if you could make a donation, right now, to set rabble on solid footing in 2017.