Recently, the corporate lobby The Fraser Institute issued a "study" advocating that Canada follow low-wage American states like Mississippi and Alabama in passing a law allowing unionized employees to opt out of paying dues for services and benefits provided by a union. To justify this argument, the Institute made the peculiar claim that changing an obscure law on union dues collection would bring billions of dollars of new investment to Ontario! Wow, that’s one powerful little law!
Bankers get bailed out, corporations get incentives, workers get attacked... and 'right to work' laws threaten to take this much further
Join us for a discussion on
* What 'Right to Work' Is really about
* How a weakened labour movement can really resist this
* What kind of labour movement will reverse the present downward slide
SEPT 12, 7:00 P.M. STEELWORKERS HALL, 25 CECIL ST.
Speakers (to be followed by audience discussion):
- JOHN CARTWIGHT, President Toronto and York Region Labour Council
- SONIA SINGH, Workers' Action Centre
- SAM GINDIN, Retired research director, CAW
Sponsored by: Labour Committee, Greater Toronto Workers' Assembly