Join us for a panel discussion of Canada’s changing foreign policy under the Harper government. Our panelists will discuss the following topics and many more:
- How Canadian foreign aid is explicitly being used as a tool to support and legitimize the Canadian mining industry, including in Latin America;
- How this shift in policy violates the principles that Canadian foreign aid is supposed to serve;
- How Canadian civil society organizations that dare to critique the mining industry are losing their federal funding;
- How Canadian mining companies have had detrimental effects on impacted communities in Peru; and,
- Why CIDA and Canadian NGOs should not be allying themselves with the Canadian mining industry.
Guest speakers – Jennifer Moore (Mining Watch Canada), Stacey Gomez (MISN), and Allan Lissner (MISN)