- a Tagalog word meaning, "mix"
- also, a popular Filipino dessert made with layers of shaved ice, sweet beans, fruits, and ice cream (perfect for the summer!)
What: Springtide Resources (formerly Education Wife Assault) and our Young Women's Program bring you ‘Halo-halo', a workshop series for newcomer queer and trans youth to understand the issues that we & our communities experience, and build our skills in community organizing.
Who: Youth (ages 17-25) who identify as:
- A newcomer immigrant/migrant/refugee
- A Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, two-spirited, trans, intersex and asexual or anyone who are just too cool for gender & sexual labels and boxes
What you learn:
- Pro-homo (queer&trans 101)
- Violence against women and children
- Step-by-step community organizing
What you get:
- An opportunity to develop as leaders
- New friends and strong allies
- Delicious food
- TTC tokens
- Community service hours
When: Every Thursday, 3-6PM from August 4th to September 1st
and Saturdays, 3-6PM on September 10th and 17th
Please let us know if you require accommodations (childcare, ASL, notetaking, attendant services, etc).
The venue is wheelchair accessible.
This project is funded by United Way.