Liberals look to overturn results in Berthier-Maskinongé

123 posts / 0 new
Last post
Malcolm Malcolm's picture

Here is the comment I posted at Eugene Forsey Liberal:

Quote:

EFL, I don't have a transcript to hand, but at his news conference Tuesday morning, Dr. Ignatieff said something to the effect of:

"One thing people respect less than a loser is a sore loser."

A certain number of irregularities on nomination papers is common for all parties.  That's why all parties routinely seek to have more than the 100 signatures required.  Your party had the chance to examine the NDP's signatures prior to Madam Brosseau's confirmation as a candidate and chose not to do so.

Already, the neighbours on either side of the one complainant have confirmed that the NDP came to their house seeking signatures to nominate the NDP candidate.  In both cases, they were clear that they understood what was being asked.  It beggars belief that the canvasser would be clear at both the house on the left and the house on the right and would then lie at the house in the middle - especially when it seems that they were having no trouble persuading people to sign.

Now, even if you were to be successful in your tilt at this windmill, the result would be a $1 million byelection in which one of two outcomes is almost inevitable.
1) Either Madam Brosseau or another New Democrat candidate would win, in which case we would have spent $1 million for nothing.
OR
2) The Bloc Quebecois candidate would win, and we would have spent $1 million giving a boost to those who would rend our country in two.

Vent your spleen, by all means.  But there are reasons that your party has been so severely spanked by the electorate.  Your collective conduct demonstrates that you have little interest in considering what those reasons might be.

janfromthebruce

Kiss

you were more elequant than I - ty buddy!

 

Malcolm wrote:

Here is the comment I posted at Eugene Forsey Liberal:

Quote:

EFL, I don't have a transcript to hand, but at his news conference Tuesday morning, Dr. Ignatieff said something to the effect of:

"One thing people respect less than a loser is a sore loser."

A certain number of irregularities on nomination papers is common for all parties.  That's why all parties routinely seek to have more than the 100 signatures required.  Your party had the chance to examine the NDP's signatures prior to Madam Brosseau's confirmation as a candidate and chose not to do so.

Already, the neighbours on either side of the one complainant have confirmed that the NDP came to their house seeking signatures to nominate the NDP candidate.  In both cases, they were clear that they understood what was being asked.  It beggars belief that the canvasser would be clear at both the house on the left and the house on the right and would then lie at the house in the middle - especially when it seems that they were having no trouble persuading people to sign.

Now, even if you were to be successful in your tilt at this windmill, the result would be a $1 million byelection in which one of two outcomes is almost inevitable.
1) Either Madam Brosseau or another New Democrat candidate would win, in which case we would have spent $1 million for nothing.
OR
2) The Bloc Quebecois candidate would win, and we would have spent $1 million giving a boost to those who would rend our country in two.

Vent your spleen, by all means.  But there are reasons that your party has been so severely spanked by the electorate.  Your collective conduct demonstrates that you have little interest in considering what those reasons might be.

______________________________________________________________________________________ Our kids live together and play together in their communities, let's have them learn together too!

edmundoconnor

For all those disputing the suitability of young people to serve as MPs, I would refer you to William Pitt the Younger, who became Britain's PM at the grand old age of 24. His career outshone many older and more 'suitable' candidates for the job.

edmundoconnor

The Tories giving up the fight mean that the Liberals are on their own now (I don't think the BQ will be making much of a fuss, given it's currently on life support). The question is now how long the Liberals will last before they throw in the towel.

George Victor

The Globe and Mail editorial yesterday "The 'Kids' Are All Right", fully supported youthful candidates, and the letters to the editor today do as well, including this one: "For added perspective (on the participation of youth), one might visit the Canadian D-Day cemetery at Beny-sur-Mer..." This former Toronto MP served in the House with Perrin Beatty, Herb Breau and Lorne Nystrom, when they wrere ages 22-23.

The tendency of reporters to want to preserve their own jobs is highlighted at times like this.

JeffWells

Ruth Ellen Brosseau's first interview:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-nouvelliste/actualites/201105/06/01-4397108...

Quote:

I am someone with a strong will and I'm also a very stubborn woman. Once I decide to do something, I stay determined to do it. I am very loyal. I've always supported the NDP and I plan to do the same thing for for the people of my constituency.

She's going to be just fine.

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

Malcom, I agree with Jan, elqoquent as always.

Thanks.

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

Jeff. I see you and I are feelng the same way. She strikes me as someone very much down to earth. Everyone has been complaining about MPs who didn't seem real. This is very refreshing. On top of everything else, she knows we "have her back". I am very proud to be a New Dem. I am also extremely proud to know we have so many fine young MPs. Maybe young people will finallly be able to get past their cynicism once they see these "kids" in action. Again, just one more great day in the life of this proud party. Thanks so much Ruth!

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

Posted to the Free Press:

 All you naysayers:

I am guessing I am a lot older then many of you. I have been around and watched both Lib and Tory, promise, and out right lie their way to power, with caucuses full of Lawyers, Doctors, and "businessmen".

From Lapresse: Ruth Ellen Brosseau's first interview:
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-nouvelliste/actualites/201105/06/01-4397108...

Quote:

"I am someone with a strong will and I'm also a very stubborn woman. Once I decide to do something, I stay determined to do it. I am very loyal. I've always supported the NDP and I plan to do the same thing for for the people of my constituency."

This is for what the people of Quebec, and all across Canada voted. Real people, who undestand the real experiences of most Canadians. Obviously, it should be clear to you that people have had enough of two establishment parties between which there is little difference, witnessed by the stampede of Blue Libs in Ontario that gave the Tories their majority. You can read more about it here,  http://www.punditsguide.ca/2011/05/splits-decisions-a-closer-look-at-vot...

How is this worse then my riding where my MP is a guy who quit the service after 3 years, worked for a time a as "retail manger", and has been a professional politician since age 26? How is he any more qualified then Ms Brossard?

Your hypocracy is awe-inspring. Canadians voted for real people and real change.

Get over it.

Arthur Cramer, Winnipeg

 

vaudree

adma wrote:
Instead, we got this situation--notwithstanding the possibility that some of these 20-year-old Quebeckers may be more politically mature than the twice-their-age Justin Trudeau...

Probably, though Justin is mature enough to know that the Liberals need more than just a new leader. I wonder how he would do against Lamoureaux who definitely has leadership aspirations.

I think that there is not much that the NDP can do right now and probably best to let people talk and shoot themselves in the foot because the rhetoric concerning REB is getting mean and creating a backlash. The best thing they can do is have REB look intelligent the first time that she says anything - and that she mentions the kids (not in a leave my kids alone) sort of way, but that this is an adjustment for them too and that she had to make new arrangements concerning them. As far as this waitress thing - she was assistant manager which means extra responsibilites and even owners have to do dishwashing if no one shows up!

 

What is going to be confusing is that there are four Morins in the new cabinet - all NDP and all new!

Marie-Claude Morin
Dany Morin
Marc-Andre Morin
Isabelle Morin

Denis Blanchette
Lysane Blanchette-Lamothe

Dominic LeBlanc (Lib)
Helene LeBlanc

 

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

I say make Kevin Lamouruex leader. Knowing about this guy in Winnipeg North, nothing would make me happier! Go Kevin Go!

robbie_dee

Does Kevin Lamoreaux speak french? The name sounds franco-Manitoban but I didn't want to make an assumption.  He beat the NDs twice in what was formerly assumed to be a safe seat, so I wouldn't underestimate him.

Stockholm

HOw many people outside Winnipeg know that Kevin Lamoureux is a socially conservative hard core anti-abortion fanatic??? If that's the direction the federal Liberals want to take - be my guest!!

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

@robbie_dee:

Here is the bottom line on Lamoureux. His vote is very concentrated west of McPhillips, in ethnic communities whose members vote in higher numbers. The last election saw his voters, turn-out at 88%. In both this election and that, the turnout is what won it for him.

The NDP's ground game, in my opinion, and in my opinion only, I speak for no one else, simply wasn't good enough. Coupled with a general dislike for the current provincial government, and the unwillingness to engage Lamoureux on a personal basis, he rode his unchallenged personal myth to victory twice. I have spoken to the man and can tell you I am  unimpressed. When he can't defend his position, his fall back is  "we'll have to agree to disagree". That is good enough for the oridinary citizen, but not for a MP who wants to lead a nation.

So, don't tell me I am under estimating this man. He is unfit to hold office, and got lucky again. Time will tell how this unfolds, but one thing remains true, he won't win if the NDP vote truly comes out. I would be carefull about assesing Winnipeg North without being on the ground here.

Regarding French, nope, he doesn't speak it.

Do I have contempt for the man? Yep.

ReeferMadness

Arthur Cramer wrote:

This is for what the people of Quebec, and all across Canada voted.

WTF??   This person has publicly admitted she has NEVER been the riding.  She couldn't converse with them in their native language.  How could the people of Quebec POSSIBLY have known for what they were voting??  By having a candidate who was so clearly disengaged and obviously had no intent of preparing for the job, the NDP has helped to cheapen Canadian democracy.  And the fact that other parties may have done similar (though probably less egregious) things doesn't change that fact.  And these days, Canadian democracy doesn't seem to be that dear to begin with.

Quote:

I am very proud to be a New Dem.

And that's why it's tough to take the NDP seriously.  It's full of people who, faced with the fact that their party has been caught doing something stupid, immediately turn it into something heroic.  Yes, people - it's true.  When the NDP chooses a candidate with no connection to the riding, a candidate whose views are completely unknown to her constituents, a candidate who can't be bothered to make the trip to her riding once during the campaign but still manages to spend a week in Vegas, a candidate who can't even converse in the native language, that only proves the greatness and infallibility of the party.

Keep talking to each other.  'cause nobody else is going to buy this crap.

edmundoconnor

Stockholm wrote:

HOw many people outside Winnipeg know that Kevin Lamoureux is a socially conservative hard core anti-abortion fanatic??? If that's the direction the federal Liberals want to take - be my guest!!

The trapdoor to oblivion is on your right, ladies and gentlemen …

janfromthebruce

I sure hope that REB gets some new pictures soon!

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

@Reefermadness;

The only thing I have to say about your repeated, and STUPID comments is.....WTF?

Go talk to some Liberals.

ReeferMadness

Arthur Cramer wrote:

@Reefermadness;

The only thing I have to say about your repeated, and STUPID comments is.....WTF?

Go talk to some Liberals.

Wow.  That's a very eloquent comeback, Arthur.  I now understand why you think that selecting a candidate completely unconnected to a riding is something to be proud of.

Thanks for clarifying.

Winston

Arthur Cramer wrote:

I say make Kevin Lamouruex leader. Knowing about this guy in Winnipeg North, nothing would make me happier! Go Kevin Go!

We were saying that here on the south side of Winnipeg too!  You want to help us start out a grassroots movement to push Kevin?  :P

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

@Reefer Madness:

I am glad you understood my comment; I tried to make it simple enough. Glad I succeeded.

@winston:

Hi buddy, I'd be happy to. Go, Kevin, Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

Closing for length and for descent into meaningless sniping. If you feel the need to continue this discussion, that's got to stop.

Pages

Topic locked