Marc and Jodie Emery to campaign for Justin Trudeau and the Liberals

510 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pondering
Marc and Jodie Emery to campaign for Justin Trudeau and the Liberals

 

http://www.straight.com/news/666691/marc-emery-details-plans-end-marijuana-prohibition-justin-trudeau-and-liberals

“Elizabeth May and Libby Davies are two of my favourite MPs,” Emery told the Straight. “But there is a time when you have to make decisions about what’s really important, and stoppingStephen Harper and replacing his government is the ultimate priority"

.....

Emery described Trudeau’s position as “courageous and unprecedented”.

“Normally, they all wait until they’ve retired out of politics before they advocate the legalization route,” he explained. “Justin Trudeau is the only leader of a Canadian political party with any chance of forming the government who’s ever done this. I thought it was pretty brave of him.”

......By that time, Canada will be preparing for the 2015 federal election, which Emery said will see him and Jodie make a 30-stop cross-country tour beginning in early September.

.....

Emery claimed he has no plans to run for office, but stated he expects politics to still consume the majority of his time once he’s free.

“Getting rid of Stephen Harper and making sure Justin Trudeau is elected along with the Liberal party is a pretty major job,” Emery said. "Really, the only job that I’m going to have in the next year.”

 

Well that will liven things up!

 

Debater

Thanks for the update. Smile

I shall take a look at the article.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Unprecedented? Yes. Courageous?. Not really...Trudeau is echoing what a growing majority of people who favour legalization.

We're anchored by a socially conservative government.

I don't expect the Liberals will legalize it but inevitably it will be decriminalized.

I see where Emery is coming from,Harper has to be stopped and Trudeau is the only leader of a major government party to openly champion legalization.

I wish I could trust the Liberals. :(

Debater

Well, the question then is, if Trudeau is just 'echoing' what Canadians favour, how come Mulcair didn't have the courage to do so first?  Why was Mulcair so cautious & cagey about this issue last Summer? (even being very careful to admit during what year he had smoked marijuana!)

There's never any way to know for sure whether barriers will get in the way of a leader's ability to do something, and what roadblocks law enforcement, the courts & conservative groups will throw in the way, but Justin's father decriminalized many previously criminal acts in the late 1960's, so there's at least some precedent to think Justin would, too.

But if I were the marijuana activists, I wouldn't get too far ahead of myself.  Harper is still Prime Minister.  And he may still be Prime Minister after the next election.  Neither opposition party is yet in a strong enough position to guarantee defeating him yet.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Mulcair wants more 'studies'

I think these studies were resolved 40 something years ago.

I know some will get enraged at the suggestion but the Liberals are more progressive with this issue than the NDP.

Pogo Pogo's picture

If pot policy was the key issue, I would have to vote Liberal.  They have embraced the issue.  I was listening to a business show and they had a medical marijuana service company (not a direct grower).  The owner was talking about how he was at a major conference devoted to the subject that was organized by the Liberal Party.  The NDP is falling behind on this issue.

terrytowel

I wonder if Libby Davies is being muzzled. She used to be so outspoken on issues like legalizing pot, harm reduction and the safety of sex workers.

Despite being deputy leader, she seems to be absent as all of these issues are making headlines right now.

lagatta

Everyone is being muzzled. My MP used to belong to Québec solidaire (hell QS and NDP offices are in the same small building in my riding) and was one of the sponsors of the boat to Palestine. As his wife is Romanian, I believe, I doubt he is as sanguine about the sex trade as Libby Davis is, but certainly doesn't support the Cons' repressive law.

cco

lagatta wrote:

As his wife is Romanian, I believe, I doubt he is as sanguine about the sex trade as Libby Davis is

Could you elaborate on this a bit more, lagatta? I'm not trying to stir up a fight, I promise. I respect your opinions on sex work, though I disagree with them. But to me, that sounds akin to "her husband is Colombian, so I'm sure she's not for/against the drug war".

bekayne

alan smithee wrote:

Mulcair wants more 'studies'

I think these studies were resolved 40 something years ago.

Apparently because it's more potent these days, you see. And if it gets more potent there shall have to be even more studies (harrumph)

Unionist

Can I sign up for the studies?

 

cco

For 40 years now, the weed your kids are smoking has been more potent, we swear to god, than the weed you smoked before you visited our "Parent's Guide to Hypocrisy" PDF. Somehow we've still never seen little Danny in grade 3 in the morgue from a marijuana overdose.

Trudeau, without a doubt, has a better position on marijuana than Mulcair does. He has an identical position to Mulcair on the rest of the drug war, of course -- that isn't as likely to touch the "middle class" he keeps talking about. Not that the middle class are any less likely to do cocaine, of course, but their children are less likely to get a criminal record than they are from standing on the corner smoking a joint.

Then there's the issue that the last time a Liberal majority government kept a campaign promise was under Louis St. Laurent. So we can vote for a party that sincerely promises not to do something good, a party that insincerely promises to do something good, or a party that promises nothing at all.

So, uh, tell me more about this "Mario Beaulieu" guy.

bekayne

cco wrote:

So, uh, tell me more about this "Mario Beaulieu" guy.

He enjoys being a tour guide, apparently

Slumberjack

Unionist wrote:
Can I sign up for the studies?

Back in the day the parties would ply their supporters with alcohol on election night.  Just think if they had 24s, bongs and munchies at these events.

Pondering

It will be interesting to see if this impacts Trudeau negatively or positively. I think positively as he could motivate a lot of people to vote that haven't in the past. For him it is also a libertarian issue. 

On the other hand he is the "Prince of Pot" who just got out of a long prison sentence. I think most people believe he was wronged but it isn't exactly an endorsement from the Rotary Club.

 

fortunate

i don't see the point of not legalizing or at least decriminalizing it.  Basically if you have a prescription you can buy it from a licensed grower or you can grow it at home (for now at least).  So what is the rationale now, based on that reality, to continue to criminalize use, purchase, selling, and growing?   Before it was Reefer Madness, but now it's supposedly like taking aspirin or some other over the counter med.   It seems it would be a lot harder to prove that it has to be illegal.

takeitslowly

my mom passed away from cancer and I am interested in seeing how marijuana can play a role in cancer treatments. I want more STUDIES on that!

Pondering

takeitslowly wrote:

my mom passed away from cancer and I am interested in seeing how marijuana can play a role in cancer treatments. I want more STUDIES on that!

Yup, and if we legalize first the research dollars and expertise will come to Canada. 

It is a great plant:

It can also be used for food, beverages, clothing, paper, several types of building supplies, fibreboard, hempcrete, insulation. It can be made into plastic for everything from shower curtains to cars (Ford used it for his early cars) and it can be made into fuel to fuel the cars. 

It's a miracle plant and there are a lot of places it can grow in Canada. First developed country to fully legalize will have a jump on the competition that can't be under-estimated. Recreational pot is not the most important factor. 

 

Brachina

 I can see his con job is working, but one only has to look at Justin's voting record to see truth. Justin will "forget" about his promise as soon as he gets his majority. How many times do you have to be lied to before people fucking learn, it doesn't matter what tue liberal party offers, its made up of corrupt liers, especially at the top.

 

Now look at Mulcair's voting record and who actually follows through and whose word means something. 

 

 This is why this country is dying, fools keep going back to the Liberal party like an abuse victim very time the Liberal party sweqrs no this time it will be different.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Con job?

Yeah,the Liberals record on truth is very low..But Trudeau is looking more like a progressive than Thomas.

When Trudeau becomes PM in 2015 we will find out if this is a 'con job'

Until then we can only make assumptions without any facts to back it.

Brachina

 We have Justin Trudeau's voting record and current broken promises to go on.  We have previous experience with the Liberal Party and Trudeau's handlers.

 

 I don't have to get hit in the metaphirical face to again to know its coming, experience and good sense tell me it coming.

 

 And I'll point out that Mulcair supported decriminalization before Justin got on the scene. 

 And Mulcair keeps his promises which means he has to concider the consquences of making them where Justin doesn't and so he can make them on the fly.

Pondering

I don't think he will keep his word because he is "honest" so would never change his mind, I think he will keep it because it makes sense economically, socially and politically. 

Pogo Pogo's picture

I don't think this is a con-job. I think a critical mass in the Liberal Party see this as a quasi mega project without the environmental issues.  They have $$ signs in their eyes. Don't doubt that Liberal insiders from would be involved in every part of the business.  If there was any restricted access to manufacture or sales then absolutely no doubt the businesses involved would be ran by somebody with a last name of Martin or Whelan or Rae.

They see votes, they see dollars.

Unionist

Brachina wrote:

 And I'll point out that Mulcair supported decriminalization before Justin got on the scene.

Decriminalizing possession. Not sale. Not even purchase. Kind of a 1/3 Nordic model for cannabis. Source.

Pondering

Pogo wrote:
I don't think this is a con-job. I think a critical mass in the Liberal Party see this as a quasi mega project without the environmental issues.  They have $$ signs in their eyes.

Exactly, before some states started legalizing it would have been much riskier but at this point he has public support and you are right that there are people ready to jump right in with investments. The situation has changed dramatically over the past few years. 

Jacob Two-Two

Pondering wrote:

I don't think he will keep his word because he is "honest" so would never change his mind, I think he will keep it because it makes sense economically, socially and politically. 

But that's always been the case. The Senate recommended legalising marijuana back in the seventies. Liberals didn't do it. Chretien brought it up again just before he was ousted, and his party was horrified. What was their problem? The US didn't want them to legalise, and the toady Liberals jumped into step like they always do. Things are changing south of the border, of course, but not overnight. Weed is still illegal federally, and if they tell Justin, "No legal pot!!", you better believe he'll toe the line. That's what happens when you elect toadies and sycophants.

Debater

Boy would you get a wake-up call if the NDP ever formed power federally.  When a party actually forms government, it has to often address practical realities and deal with the burdens of office in a way that perpetual complainers like hardcore NDPers never do.

it's easy to criticise Liberals for never doing enough when they're in power when you've never actually been in power yourself and never experienced the barriers that often get in the way.  You also forget that when Chrétien was in power he had a right-wing Reform/Alliance party for an Opposition that refused to do anything progressive.  Most Canadians were also much more socially conservative in those days too, as were some of the people in the NDP (eg. Bev Desjarlais).

fortunate

takeitslowly wrote:

my mom passed away from cancer and I am interested in seeing how marijuana can play a role in cancer treatments. I want more STUDIES on that!

 

I think it is primarily used as a treatment for nausea caused by some cancer treatments.   

This gives a breakdown.   http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/patient/page2

 

One thing i noted as I skimmed that is that marijuana does have a side effect of increased appetite (which is well known in comedy sketches)  but when you combine that with a loss of appetite due to cancer treatment, the two things together is a good thing.   Eating better is a good way to recover sooner, and loss of weight during treatment can affect recovery I imagine.    

I'm not a pro potter due to wanting to use it btw, just appreciate natural ways of healing.    

 

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Just make it legal and available for any adult to consume -- PERIOD!

Pondering

alan smithee wrote:

Just make it legal and available for any adult to consume -- PERIOD!

That's the plan, including home grown. 

Debater

I'm not sure if it's a good idea for the Liberals to have candidates running for them who are so directly related to the pro-pot movement.  It just gives the Conservatives more fodder to portray Justin as a pot-head, although that is not having as much impact as the Conservatives hoped.

cco

The Conservatives will do that anyway. JT can either bank on the majority of Canadians who want weed to be legal and write off the already-lost votes of the Reefer Madness crowd, or he can try to weasel his way through the issue while taking a generic bland "of course I hate drugs, despite the fact I admitted to smoking them as an MP, but THIS IS TO GET IT AWAY FROM CHILDREN!" position. The history of both the Liberal party and JT's leadership of same suggests strongly that he'll take the latter course, and then likely do nothing about it once in office.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

As I said,I don't see the Liberals legalizing it but starting at that position will probably be watered down to decriminalization.

I'm not a fan of decriminalization but it's a hell of a lot better than the policy we have now.

Pondering

Debater wrote:
I'm not sure if it's a good idea for the Liberals to have candidates running for them who are so directly related to the pro-pot movement.  It just gives the Conservatives more fodder to portray Justin as a pot-head, although that is not having as much impact as the Conservatives hoped.

I doubt they would give him a seat. He is going to be campaigning on his own dime. Well, he probably has backers in the industry that will pay for his 30 city tour. It won't be under the Liberal banner. I can't decide whether this will benefit him or not. I think it will. 

Pondering

alan smithee wrote:

As I said,I don't see the Liberals legalizing it but starting at that position will probably be watered down to decriminalization.

I'm not a fan of decriminalization but it's a hell of a lot better than the policy we have now.

When he announced it he said "I'm not in favor of decriminalization, I'm in favor of legalization.  His argument rests on better to control it like alcohol because then it can be kept out of the hands of kids (not likely but it's the rationale).  Also, it takes the money away from organized crime. Decriminalization wouldn't do any of that and it wouldn't fill government coffers which he needs fast so he can start giving out goodies. 

I hope he starts talking about it being the 3rd largest industry in B.C. so if we actually succeeded it would devastate their economy.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Let's look at the pros and cons of legalization.

The pros..

1 - It puts an end to peop[le being subjected to a criminal record therefore ruining their lives.

2 - It makes it more difficult for kids to get their hands on it.

3 - It would slash millions of dollars in costs of policing,courts and encarcerations.

4 - It would generate millions of dollars in new revenue.

5 - It would create thousands of new jobs (greenhouses,coffee shops?,hemp production,tourism etc..)

6 - It would be a huge blow to organized crime.

Now for the cons...

?

Pondering

alan smithee wrote:

Let's look at the pros and cons of legalization.

The pros..

1 - It puts an end to peop[le being subjected to a criminal record therefore ruining their lives.

2 - It makes it more difficult for kids to get their hands on it.

3 - It would slash millions of dollars in costs of policing,courts and encarcerations.

4 - It would generate millions of dollars in new revenue.

5 - It would create thousands of new jobs (greenhouses,coffee shops?,hemp production,tourism etc..)

6 - It would be a huge blow to organized crime.

Now for the cons...

?

Exactly, and it ups his progressive credentials without hurting him with the economics crowd. 

Not only doesn't cost him a dime, it generates much needed cash for him to throw around and make people happy with. He could say the cities can tax it. Anyone hesitant will get behind him. 

It's a financial bonanza. It will probably remind gays that the Liberals advanced their rights and his stance on abortion reminded women that he is progressive on that too. This is all win win win for him. It establishes him as the forward thinking guy and Mulcair as the old-fashioned guy. It is terrible for NDP optics and the closer we get to an election the worse it will be.

Trudeau will challenge Mulcair on his unwillingness to commit to legalization. Mulcair will say it's irresponsible to do without more studies, he might say the States will be upset harumph, the Conservatives are sure to.

Trudeau will claim to be evidence-driven and he will be seen as unafraid to do the right thing.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Trudeau could also throw back the fact that legalization is a real tough-on-crime policy.

The moralists on the right's policy is keeping some very bad people very rich and contributing to crime and criminal profit and keeping it ready and available to minors.

I think JT has made the point clear about kids.

I hope he doesn't give up and exposes the Conservatives as the amoral charlatans that they really are.

Pogo Pogo's picture

Marc Emery is reputed to be very much a businessman.  He is looking at the future of marijuana and seeing a lot of government control and the patronage that will flow from that.  He is just making sure he is on the gravy train.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

So what if Emery's motive is to make money?

 

CanadaOrangeCat

It never hurt the Reform Party to have Wolfgang Droege and his band of happy skinheads work as security in their events back in 1993. I think more families will admit they have a pothead in their ranks than a member of the Heritage Front

Pogo Pogo's picture

alan smithee wrote:

So what if Emery's motive is to make money?

 

I have no problem with making money.  I do worry that there is going be some people on the inside with access to the production and distribution systems while making windfall profits.  I think the Liberals will buidl a pot beauracracy that is going to provide some chosen few an opportunity to make a bundle of money and Marc Emery will be well positioned to be one these few.  There will be no invisible hand here.

 

Pondering

Pogo wrote:

alan smithee wrote:

So what if Emery's motive is to make money?

I have no problem with making money.  I do worry that there is going be some people on the inside with access to the production and distribution systems while making windfall profits.  I think the Liberals will buidl a pot beauracracy that is going to provide some chosen few an opportunity to make a bundle of money and Marc Emery will be well positioned to be one these few.  There will be no invisible hand here.

The reason Emery was targeted by the DEA in the states was not because he was selling seeds, it was because he was heavily funding marijuana activism in the states through the money he made selling seeds. 

Personally, I don't really like him much. He is a free-market individual rights liberatarian type and egotistical, but legalization has been his life's work and he has made enormous sacrifices for it and for his friends. He took a terrible plea bargain in order to spare his co-workers/friends from the same fate. 

If anyone has a right to make money from the business it's him. Marc Emery was no friend to Trudeau before this and he is not a supporter of the Liberal party. 

voice of the damned

cco wrote:

The Conservatives will do that anyway. JT can either bank on the majority of Canadians who want weed to be legal and write off the already-lost votes of the Reefer Madness crowd, or he can try to weasel his way through the issue while taking a generic bland "of course I hate drugs, despite the fact I admitted to smoking them as an MP, but THIS IS TO GET IT AWAY FROM CHILDREN!" position. The history of both the Liberal party and JT's leadership of same suggests strongly that he'll take the latter course, and then likely do nothing about it once in office.

Yep. I well remember the later Chretien years. It was a virtual "fact", repeated quite widely, that Canada had decriminalized pot, because Chretien said he was gonna smoke up with a joint in one hand and the money for his fine in the other.

But, of course, the Liberals left office with pot as illegal as it had ever been. Reportedly, kids getting arrested for smoking up were known to shout "But this stuff is legal now!!" as the police pushed them into the cop cars.

addictedtomyipod

Here is a link to problems being experienced after legalization.  Although it is in the US, there will be some of the same problems that develop here.  It is naive to think that you just legalize it and everything will be fine.

http://mic.com/articles/79437/6-biggest-problems-with-marijuana-legaliza...

Dana Larsen, marijuana activist,  wrote this;

Although we can all agree that marijuana prohibition has failed, there is not full agreement on how exactly to legalize and regulate it. We still have to answer some important questions.

Should people be allowed to grow their own marijuana? If so, how much? Should marijuana be sold in stores? What kinds of taxes should there be? Should there be taxes on medical marijuana products? What about extracts and foods? What is the best age limit? Before we can put a legalized system in place, we need to have the answers to these kinds of questions.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/dana-larsen/legalize-decriminalize-marijuan...

 

There is no way we should be legalizing this until we have had a national debate over the issues.  Start with decriminalization and go from there.  Dana Larsen's attempt to have a referendum in BC failed btw.

 

 

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Legalize the possession of 30 grams or less and give people the right to grow up to 5 plants in their home.

It's a fucking innocuous weed..It's not a fucking gun.

Pogo Pogo's picture

Pondering wrote:

Pogo wrote:

alan smithee wrote:

So what if Emery's motive is to make money?

I have no problem with making money.  I do worry that there is going be some people on the inside with access to the production and distribution systems while making windfall profits.  I think the Liberals will buidl a pot beauracracy that is going to provide some chosen few an opportunity to make a bundle of money and Marc Emery will be well positioned to be one these few.  There will be no invisible hand here.

The reason Emery was targeted by the DEA in the states was not because he was selling seeds, it was because he was heavily funding marijuana activism in the states through the money he made selling seeds. 

Personally, I don't really like him much. He is a free-market individual rights liberatarian type and egotistical, but legalization has been his life's work and he has made enormous sacrifices for it and for his friends. He took a terrible plea bargain in order to spare his co-workers/friends from the same fate. 

If anyone has a right to make money from the business it's him. Marc Emery was no friend to Trudeau before this and he is not a supporter of the Liberal party. 

I will defer to your view as I have no special knowledge.  I am just looking at the depth of effort the Liberal Party is putting into this project including working closely with business groups and I see political patronage as a probable result.  True that if anyone deserves riches it is Marc Emery is that person.  My preference though would be for it to be as legal as lettuce and the money to be spread throughout society.

Pondering

But alan, it's the devil's weed! Didn't you see the picture of Justin? all that red smoke swirling around him, and the goatee was a dead giveaway. Didn't even need to see that innocent little boy right next to him lured into a life of depravity.

addictedtomyipod wrote:
There is no way we should be legalizing this until we have had a national debate over the issues.  Start with decriminalization and go from there.  's attempt to have a referendum in BC failed btw.

http://sensiblebc.ca/decriminalize-or-legalize/

A common question is whether we support the “decriminalization” or “legalization” of cannabis?

The answer is that we support both! Any province could immediately decriminalize possession as a first step, but the ultimate goal of cannabis reform is to end marijuana prohibition.

…....

 To fully repeal prohibition and legalize, we need a change to federal law.

……..Once the federal government repeals marijuana prohibition, much of the regulation such as age limits, points of sale and tax rates will fall under provincial jurisdiction.

British Columbia should be getting ready for legalization, and start the process of figuring out the rules and regulations needed for a legal cannabis industry in our province.

Dana Larsen supports full legalization.  Apparently, so does 70% of the BC population, and it is a 6 billion dollar business there. Larsen will publically support the Trudeau Liberals.  The entire cannabis community will support him. Cannabis Culture and Treating Yourself will be behind him. It will get him boots on the ground when the campaigning starts. It might get him international news and I can't imagine the US talk hosts will ignore it once it is in his official platform and the election is on.  I'm pretty sure Jon Stewart will notice.  Activists will knock on doors for him and support the party as a whole to get him elected and get marijuana legalized.

The unofficial Liberal plan reflects Larsen's ideas.

https://bc.liberal.ca/files/2013/01/DRAFT-Marijuana-Policy-Paper-Jan-13.pdf

Trudeau was right to announce this well ahead of 2015. By then it will be old news in the sense of shock value and it will just seem like the time has come, the smart thing to do. Trudeau is emphasizing that his position is evidence based. 

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Pondering wrote:

But alan, it's the devil's weed! Didn't you see the picture of Justin? all that red smoke swirling around him, and the goatee was a dead giveaway. Didn't even need to see that innocent little boy right next to him lured into a life of depravity.

addictedtomyipod wrote:
There is no way we should be legalizing this until we have had a national debate over the issues.  Start with decriminalization and go from there.  's attempt to have a referendum in BC failed btw.

http://sensiblebc.ca/decriminalize-or-legalize/

A common question is whether we support the “decriminalization” or “legalization” of cannabis?

The answer is that we support both! Any province could immediately decriminalize possession as a first step, but the ultimate goal of cannabis reform is to end marijuana prohibition.

…....

 To fully repeal prohibition and legalize, we need a change to federal law.

……..Once the federal government repeals marijuana prohibition, much of the regulation such as age limits, points of sale and tax rates will fall under provincial jurisdiction.

British Columbia should be getting ready for legalization, and start the process of figuring out the rules and regulations needed for a legal cannabis industry in our province.

Dana Larsen supports full legalization.  Apparently, so does 70% of the BC population, and it is a 6 billion dollar business there. Larsen will publically support the Trudeau Liberals.  The entire cannabis community will support him. Cannabis Culture and Treating Yourself will be behind him. It will get him boots on the ground when the campaigning starts. It might get him international news and I can't imagine the US talk hosts will ignore it once it is in his official platform and the election is on.  I'm pretty sure Jon Stewart will notice.  Activists will knock on doors for him and support the party as a whole to get him elected and get marijuana legalized.

The unofficial Liberal plan reflects Larsen's ideas.

https://bc.liberal.ca/files/2013/01/DRAFT-Marijuana-Policy-Paper-Jan-13.pdf

Trudeau was right to announce this well ahead of 2015. By then it will be old news in the sense of shock value and it will just seem like the time has come, the smart thing to do. Trudeau is emphasizing that his position is evidence based. 

After reading the pdf,I'm very impressed.

On the question of continued black market sales,Canada should follow Uruguay's policy and set the price low so that the Black Market can't offer the product at a reduced rate,it would be economically pointless.

Example,selling by the oz,half oz and quarter oz with a retail price of $2 to $3 a gram (Uruguay has set their prices to $1 a gram)

The facts and ideas from the pdf are very logical and realistic.

Too bad the NDP's position is so muddy and illogical.

Pondering

alan smithee wrote:

After reading the pdf,I'm very impressed.

On the question of continued black market sales,Canada should follow Uruguay's policy and set the price low so that the Black Market can't offer the product at a reduced rate,it would be economically pointless.

Example,selling by the oz,half oz and quarter oz with a retail price of $2 to $3 a gram (Uruguay has set their prices to $1 a gram)

The facts and ideas from the pdf are very logical and realistic.

Too bad the NDP's position is so muddy and illogical.

Yup, it's like you said "It's a fucking innocuous weed..It's not a fucking gun." Legalization is not rocket science. People will pay a reasonable premium to buy all kinds of fancy strains and to be sure the product is pesticide free etc. 

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Pondering wrote:

alan smithee wrote:

After reading the pdf,I'm very impressed.

On the question of continued black market sales,Canada should follow Uruguay's policy and set the price low so that the Black Market can't offer the product at a reduced rate,it would be economically pointless.

Example,selling by the oz,half oz and quarter oz with a retail price of $2 to $3 a gram (Uruguay has set their prices to $1 a gram)

The facts and ideas from the pdf are very logical and realistic.

Too bad the NDP's position is so muddy and illogical.

Yup, it's like you said "It's a fucking innocuous weed..It's not a fucking gun." Legalization is not rocket science. People will pay a reasonable premium to buy all kinds of fancy strains and to be sure the product is pesticide free etc. 

I"m just sick of people debating this issue like we're debating legalizing hand grenades -- enough.

And you're right..People will pay,gladly,a premium for good quality smoke...People would also  actually know what they are smoking.

Pages