Sophie Trudeau Fires 24 Sussex Chef

116 posts / 0 new
Last post
terrytowel
Sophie Trudeau Fires 24 Sussex Chef

===

Issues Pages: 
Regions: 
terrytowel

Sophie Trudeau has told the head of household at 24 Sussex that the Chef services will no longer be required. That she has someone else in mind. All other household staff will be retained.

The chef said that if asked he would gladly meet with Mrs. Trudeau to clear up any misunderstanding. From his point of view he wasn't even given the opportunity to fight for his job or even show Mrs. Trudeau past menu suggestions. He hasn't even met with Sophie Trudeau before given his walking papers.

Does this sound fair to you? Shouldn't he work for about a month, and then have the Trudeaus decide if they still want to retain him.

Rather than just give him the heave-ho with no warning, no discussion, not even a try-out?

 

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

Shades of "travel gate" in the first Clinton administration. Perhaps chef is considered a political appointment.

voice of the damned

terrytowel wrote:

Sophie Trudeau has told the head of household at 24 Sussex that the Chef services will no longer be required. That she has someone else in mind. All other household staff will be retained.

The chef said that if asked he would gladly meet with Mrs. Trudeau to clear up any misunderstanding. From his point of view he wasn't even given the opportunity to fight for his job or even show Mrs. Trudeau past menu suggestions. He hasn't even met with Sophie Trudeau before given his walking papers.

Does this sound fair to you? Shouldn't he work for about a month, and then have the Trudeaus decide if they still want to retain him.

Rather than just give him the heave-ho with no warning, no discussion, not even a try-out?

 

Well, I'm not one to minimize forced unemployment(believe me), but is 24 Sussex Chef the kind of job where you can really expect long-term tenures? Prime Ministers come and go, people have different tastes. I would imagine that, for most hired-gun chefs, a transitory approach to employment sort of comes with the territory.

terrytowel

The Chef was pretty close to the Harpers. They requested menus that were of the meat & potatoes variety. Maybe the Trudeaus want to dine high off fine cuisine in comparison.

lagatta

Sophie Grégoire (or Grégoire-Trudeau if you insist, but legally, she is Sophie Grégoire). And "Mrs"? I'm not one to quote Justin Trudeau, but "this is 2015", eh?

Food workers at all levels (even chefs) often get a raw deal, so I hope this is addressed properly.

And I strongly suspect that the current clients have very different tastes from the former ones.

Edited to add: Yes, I was sure the current clients would have very different tastes than the former occupants; contemporary Montréal cuisine, more at the flexitarian end than the "Au Pied du Cochon" groaning-board variety.

mark_alfred

Perhaps he wasn't escargot yogi-sushi enough for the Trudeau's, I guess.

jjuares

Apparently the chefs are hired and fired through OIC so they seem to be under the political appointment category

jas

Also you don't need to capitalize every word of your thread title. It's not a book title.

Mr. Magoo

Sophie Trudeau didn't fire 24 Sussex chef, says Team Trudeau

Quote:
"Your story ... incorrectly assigns blame to the Trudeau family for the departure of the executive chef. This is incorrect,” Daniel Lauzon, a Liberal party spokesman wrote in an e-mail. “Staffing decisions are made by the household manager.”

terrytowel

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Sophie Trudeau didn't fire 24 Sussex chef, says Team Trudeau

Quote:
"Your story ... incorrectly assigns blame to the Trudeau family for the departure of the executive chef. This is incorrect,” Daniel Lauzon, a Liberal party spokesman wrote in an e-mail. “Staffing decisions are made by the household manager.”

That is called damage control. Sophie made the decison which was carried out by the household manager. The chef is standing by his statement that he was fired.

Mr. Magoo

Quote:
Sophie made the decison which was carried out by the household manager.

I see.  Do you have some support for this, or is it just a "gut feeling"?

Quote:
The chef is standing by his statement that he was fired.

If he no longer works at 24 Sussex then he's right; he WAS fired.  I don't think that's at question.

 

Pondering

It makes sense. The Trudeau's will not be living at 24 Sussex so no chef is needed there but the building and grounds still have to be cared for while decisions are being made.

I'm guessing the Trudeau's already had a chef for Rideau cottage and didn't want to fire that person.

terrytowel

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Quote:
Sophie made the decison which was carried out by the household manager.

I see.  Do you have some support for this, or is it just a "gut feeling"?

After a long meeting with the prime minister's wife, Sophie, the head of house staff walked into a relatively vacant 24 Sussex Dr. and delivered good news to staff with a smile, according to Tim Wasylko (the chef).

For about the week the staff (including the chef) had been in limbo, wary of the election fallout, Tim Wasylko (the chef) said.

“Everybody gets to keep your jobs,” Wasylko recalled being told.

But not him. The Trudeaus had another chef in mind.

Unionist

It is said that "you are what you eat".

If that is so - then whoever fed Harper clearly needed to be terminated. ASAP.

 

quizzical

Quote:
Mrs. Trudeau has a chef,” Wasylko recalled being told by the household manager.

why in hell would they want to train a new chef to what their family's needs are? and what their own Chef should be fired instead? i think not.

terrytowel

quizzical wrote:

Quote:
Mrs. Trudeau has a chef,” Wasylko recalled being told by the household manager.

why in hell would they want to train a new chef to what their family's needs are? and what their own Chef should be fired instead? i think not.

You misunderstand, the Trudeau's NEVER HAD a chef before. They are bringing in a brand new person, instead of using the old chef.

Pondering

terrytowel wrote:

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Quote:
Sophie made the decison which was carried out by the household manager.

I see.  Do you have some support for this, or is it just a "gut feeling"?

After a long meeting with the prime minister's wife, Sophie, the head of house staff walked into a relatively vacant 24 Sussex Dr. and delivered good news to staff with a smile, according to Tim Wasylko (the chef).

For about the week the staff (including the chef) had been in limbo, wary of the election fallout, Tim Wasylko (the chef) said.

“Everybody gets to keep your jobs,” Wasylko recalled being told.

But not him. The Trudeaus had another chef in mind.

So you are claiming that another chef will be hired to serve at 24 Sussex?

I think it is more likely that SG was offered the chef's services for Rideau cottage because he is no longer needed at 24 Sussex because no one lives there.  She already has one so she declined.

Other staff will probably be let go, transferred or laid off as the house is closed for renovations.

The nit-pickers are lucky people don't pay much attention to politics.

pookie

jas wrote:

Also you don't need to capitalize every word of your thread title. It's not a book title.

Heh.

terrytowel

There is no chef at Rideau cottage, because it is a former guesthouse of the Govenor General.

In fact there is NO staff at Rideau cottage, and the ENTIRE 24 Sussex staff will be moved over to the cottage. Except the chef who was fired.

Unionist

I still maintain that any chef that cooks and serves kittens has no claim on job security.

 

Pondering

terrytowel wrote:

There is no chef at Rideau cottage, because it is a former guesthouse of the Govenor General.

In fact there is NO staff at Rideau cottage, and the ENTIRE 24 Sussex staff will be moved over to the cottage. Except the chef who was fired.

You're wrong.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/26/justin-trudeau-and-family-to-live-i...

The cottage is actually a two-storey Georgian Revival brick home built in 1866-67 to serve as a home for the secretary to the governor general.....

The cottage was last renovated in 2013 by the National Capital Commission.

Stephen Wallace, the current secretary to Gov. Gen. David Johnston, moved out on the weekend to allow the Trudeaus to move in.

I doubt Mr. Wallace was doing the cleaning himself and I suspect that the Trudeau's have their own cook/chef.

Where did you get the information that the staff at 24 Sussex is being transferred to Rideau Cottage and that there is no staff there?

quizzical

terrytowel wrote:
quizzical wrote:
Quote:
Mrs. Trudeau has a chef,” Wasylko recalled being told by the household manager.

why in hell would they want to train a new chef to what their family's needs are? and what their own Chef should be fired instead? i think not.

You misunderstand, the Trudeau's NEVER HAD a chef before. They are bringing in a brand new person, instead of using the old chef.

what's to misunderstand? i read the article presented and found the fired chef had made a statement in it about them already having a chef.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Another Celebrity gossip thread opened by TT.

I think Justin needs to have a talk with his wife and remind her that she isn't Queen and he isn't King.

quizzical

have you observed queen and king behaviour from them alan?

i'm not part of the official Gregoire Trudeau fan club but i haven't observed royal hubris coming from them. yet anyway. so i think your comment is unfair unless you've got an example.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

quizzical wrote:

have you observed queen and king behaviour from them alan?

i'm not part of the official Gregoire Trudeau fan club but i haven't observed royal hubris coming from them. yet anyway. so i think your comment is unfair unless you've got an example.

If it is true thsat she fired their chef,I'd call that elitist. As a matter of fact,the whole idea of a personal chef is elitist.

lagatta

I guess since Harper is not leader of the Official Opposition, the chef can't simply move to Stornoway.

I can't imagine the Grégoire-Trudeaus NOT having a personal chef, at least since the campaign got underway. There are only so many hours. If they were from a poor "people's" party, volunteers would be preparing the food. I've seen this done in other countries. Three small children...

Unionist

alan smithee wrote:

Another Celebrity gossip thread opened by TT.

Seriously? I love this thread. Lots of thought for food.

 

Debater

Terry Towel, the Liberals say this is not true and that Sophie did not 'fire' the Chef.

Not sure why you are posting this topic.  You seem to like looking for drama. Wink

quizzical

alan smithee wrote:
quizzical wrote:
have you observed queen and king behaviour from them alan?

i'm not part of the official Gregoire Trudeau fan club but i haven't observed royal hubris coming from them. yet anyway. so i think your comment is unfair unless you've got an example.

If it is true thsat she fired their chef,I'd call that elitist. As a matter of fact,the whole idea of a personal chef is elitist.

apparently a chef was going to get let go no matter what....why would they let theirs go?

when i was living on Van Isle and commuting to Vic to work with young daughter i would've thought nothing of hiring a chef. you think i liked feeding my daughter dinner at 8pm

i think more people could or would hire a chef if they thought about how much take out they pick up or how much time they spend shopping and preparing the food.

i'm all for moving wealth out of restaurants and fast food joints and putting it in the hands of a privately employed chefs.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

quizzical wrote:

alan smithee wrote:
quizzical wrote:
have you observed queen and king behaviour from them alan?

i'm not part of the official Gregoire Trudeau fan club but i haven't observed royal hubris coming from them. yet anyway. so i think your comment is unfair unless you've got an example.

If it is true thsat she fired their chef,I'd call that elitist. As a matter of fact,the whole idea of a personal chef is elitist.

apparently a chef was going to get let go no matter what....why would they let theirs go?

when i was living on Van Isle and commuting to Vic to work with young daughter i would've thought nothing of hiring a chef. you think i liked feeding my daughter dinner at 8pm

i think more people could or would hire a chef if they thought about how much take out they pick up or how much time they spend shopping and preparing the food.

i'm all for moving wealth out of restaurants and fast food joints and putting it in the hands of a privately employed chefs.

I',m happy to learn that you have the scratch to entertain a personal chef. Most people don't.

If this story is true,someone just lost their job which is bad news unless you're a right wing politician.In that case I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire....but I digress.

Maybe we can add personal chefs to our health care system. I'd be happy with that. But that's very unlikely.

Northern PoV

Lots of nonsense* here in this thread. Some wisdom.

(*What a bunch of "marks" for the SUN "news media".  )

These folks have big jobs - including Sophie.  The perks that come with the office help them get their jobs done.

Watch Trudeau respond to Mansbridge in the "first day" video about perks. "for the office of PM who serves the people, not for an individual."

As mentioned here, chefs have very little job security.   I'd guess this guy has to go back to some dingy assembly line rrestaurant somewhere, doing prep work. Another "celebrity" will never hire him now.  A few cards short of a full deck - emblematic of the decade-long national nightmare.

And look at the pasty over weight former PM and think about the crap he must have been eating.  Good for Sophie!

 

Mr. Magoo

So now we're arguing about whether the PM's residence should have staff?

Who'd like to step up and say that BOTH chefs should be sacked, and Ms. Gregoire should learn to mash a potato like anyone else?

ed'd to add:  or wait!  Perhaps the PM should, right?  PM is (or should be) a part-time job, so he's got plenty of free time.

"Canada's Prime Minister was notably absent at the Summit, citing the need to be at home to make spaghetti for his children".

bekayne

She told the chef "IT'S OVER"

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

bekayne wrote:

She told the chef "IT'S OVER"

LaughingLaughing

pookie

This story is beyond dumb.

Personal chefs take lots of positions over their careers.  They don't expect a lifetime guarantee.  

He will parlay his exp into lots of sweet deals.  Don't worry - he won't be operating a chip fry at McD's.

Although I am not impressed by his willingness to go to the media and attack Sophie Gregoire Trudeau.

The tiresome meme of the demanding princess who comes in and sacks everybody.

Please.

jjuares

It sounds like his goose was cooked the minute Trudeau was elected.

pookie

OVER!!!!cooked

jjuares

It sounds like he was a little burnt by the process used in firing him.

Northern PoV

pookie wrote:

This story is beyond dumb.

Oh, Yes!

pookie wrote:

Personal chefs take lots of positions over their careers.  They don't expect a lifetime guarantee.  

He will parlay his exp into lots of sweet deals.  Don't worry - he won't be operating a chip fry at McD's.

Maybe not MickeyDs ... but seriously - folks that can afford "personal chefs" (via their own funds or from tax $) will not touch this loud mouth.

Besides, who wants to eat the kind of crap that makes you pasty and over-weight?

 

jjuares

In the end if he had stayed with the Trudeaus that would have been a recipe for disaster.

jjuares

He is unhappy now but once he digests the idea he may be fine.

jjuares

Of course he is boiling mad now but once he simmers down it will be better.

jjuares

The chef complained that he never had a chance that meet with Sophie and explain his position. I don't know if that would have helped, she would have probably just grilled him on his methods.

jjuares

The media is trying to whip up a controversy over his firing.

Unionist

Well no f***ing wonder:

[url=http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/11/06/pm-harpers-chef-served-pink-slip-fro... Harper's chef served pink slip from 24 Sussex[/url]

[size=15]Would you keep a chef who served you a pink slip??? EHHHH????[/size]

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Stephen Harper's chef AKA Ronald McDonald

Mr. Magoo

@jjuares:  don't stop now, you're on a roll!

OK, that wasn't such a good food pun, but that's why we need you to keep beating this!

bekayne

Northern PoV wrote:

pookie wrote:

This story is beyond dumb.

Oh, Yes!

pookie wrote:

Personal chefs take lots of positions over their careers.  They don't expect a lifetime guarantee.  

He will parlay his exp into lots of sweet deals.  Don't worry - he won't be operating a chip fry at McD's.

Maybe not MickeyDs ... but seriously - folks that can afford "personal chefs" (via their own funds or from tax $) will not touch this loud mouth.

Reality TV?

bekayne

Mr. Magoo wrote:

@jjuares:  don't stop now, you're on a roll!

Like Jason Kenny

http://rabble.ca/babble/national-news/jason-kenney-roll#comment-1000303

quizzical

personal chefs don't have to be employed full time or just by one person.

do you people out east not have chefs who will make up a whole menu for your family for a week or month whatever your pleasure and prepare and freeze it for you for less cost or slightly above what you could provide meals for for yourself or at a less cost than going through decent food take out 3 to 4 times a week?

no hydro costs, no time expended by yourself for planning, shopping or cooking, less metered water consumption and your family's needs met at a decent time.

the length of time i would spend in line up and the time spent driving and shopping i could've booked 2 people in for 70.00 or more beauty services each. so it cost me a min 140.00 in lost bookings to buy food for the family. then food costs on top.

i decided to get out of the rat race though but if i ever go back to city living it's one of the first changes to lifestyle i would make. hey might even do it here we have 2 chefs looking for gigs outside of work hours.

 

Pages