Tom Mulcair will be Prime Minister #3

106 posts / 0 new
Last post
contrarianna

NorthReport wrote:

Just what the Parliament of Canada needs - an MP who can physically beat up people. 

 

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2012/03/20120331-...

Tommy Douglas was an excellent amateur boxer, winning the Manitoba championship. At 135lbs he could have flattened either of the two.

But kudos to Justin who embarrassed the room full of Con MPs.--I also mis-predicted he'd lose.  Conditioning was the main factor as Brazeau punched himself out after about a minute.

Gaian

I'd have thought that Conservatives would have been more concerned with the vision of a tattooed, out of shape young Senator who will represent them in the Senate for another third of a century, ATBE.

contrarianna

I doubt it. The chicken-hawk MPs who don't hesitate deploy the military's trained killers to bomb and shoot foreigners live vicariously through the heady violence of their "rough" champions.

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

I'm glad Trudeau won, though - otherwise we'd never hear the end of it from the Cons.

Gaian

We may never hear the last of it from the Libs. :)

Howard

NorthReport wrote:

Just what the Parliament of Canada needs - an MP who can physically beat up people. 

 

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2012/03/20120331-...

Now we know why the Conservatives are so in favour of guns. They are afraid the Liberals will steal their lunch money.

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

Howard:Wink!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

NorthReport

It must have been the CBC, or the networks, that insisted people like ADQ's Dumont and and Libera-lover Yaffe moderate the debates. Let's remember to remind the networks about that when other parties have their leadership debates, eh! 

Gaian

NorthReport wrote:

Boy, these right-wingers sure get lots and lots of airtime in the mainstream press.

The Tories don’t fear Thomas Mulcair, but Liberals should
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/Tories+fear+Thomas+Mulcair+Liberals...

Yes, somehow we must go among those who must be taught about the extent of right-wing propaganda in the mainstream press and help them to understand - without being preachie - that those messages are not in their best interest.

Jacob Two-Two

While you're among them, whoever you might be talking about, maybe you could try listening to what they have to say and why they respond to these media messages in the first place. The fact is that people in general, including you and I, make decisions for emotional reasons much moreso than logical ones. You might think you've got the greatest argument ever written and no rational mind could deny it, but you'd be ignoring the fact that humans don't really have rational minds. We have very complicated minds that are capable of rational thoughts. If what you're saying doesn't have some resonance on a deeper level than the rational, you might as well be talking another language.

So I think that's an element you're missing in your formulations of "show the masses how wrong they are". Knowledge is just a tool you give someone to get them where they're going, but the will to get there comes entirely from the person, and without it no amount of knowledge will help. Canadians aren't lacking left-wing polemics. Anyone who wants to find such stuff will have no trouble doing so. What they're lacking is the spirit to stand up and be counted, the courage to resist government and corporate tyranny, and the belief that their efforts can make an impact. It seems to me that you want to browbeat people when you should be seeking to inspire them, and you won't do that by talking down to them.

KenS

Here here.

Life, the unive...

Jacob Two-Two wrote:

While you're among them, whoever you might be talking about, maybe you could try listening to what they have to say and why they respond to these media messages in the first place. The fact is that people in general, including you and I, make decisions for emotional reasons much moreso than logical ones. You might think you've got the greatest argument ever written and no rational mind could deny it, but you'd be ignoring the fact that humans don't really have rational minds. We have very complicated minds that are capable of rational thoughts. If what you're saying doesn't have some resonance on a deeper level than the rational, you might as well be talking another language.

So I think that's an element you're missing in your formulations of "show the masses how wrong they are". Knowledge is just a tool you give someone to get them where they're going, but the will to get there comes entirely from the person, and without it no amount of knowledge will help. Canadians aren't lacking left-wing polemics. Anyone who wants to find such stuff will have no trouble doing so. What they're lacking is the spirit to stand up and be counted, the courage to resist government and corporate tyranny, and the belief that their efforts can make an impact. It seems to me that you want to browbeat people when you should be seeking to inspire them, and you won't do that by talking down to them.

I know you are directing this at Gaian, and probably rightly so, but for goddess sakes do you not see this equally applies to a wide cross section of babblers?  I read post after post from self-proclaimed defenders of the working class on this site yet they don't have a clue how the average person thinks, what their priorities are and how even to speak to them in ways that matter to the average person.  Look at the way they talk about rural people, if it even occurs to them that there might be rural people, an issue that has been brought up by a number of rural babblers -most of whom seem to have all given up and left.   Read about a bazillion posts in the NDP leadership threads for examples of people who don't know how to talk to the average non-politically obsessed.  So I guess I wonder why one is condescending while many others are swell.  It makes no logical sense.  

NorthReport

Bravo!

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

On the Huff Po, Part 2 "Trudeau not ruling out eventual run for leader". Couldn't the Huff Po at least pretend that aren't a Lib propaganda tool even a little bit?

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

I have been slaggin rural folks. I know I shouldn't. It jiust galls me that guys in rural constituencies like Vic Toews, an obviously bad man, bad as a person man, keeps being re-elected. But as NR says J22, Bravo!

Stockholm

NorthReport wrote:

It must have been the CBC, or the networks, that insisted people like ADQ's Dumont and and Libera-lover Yaffe moderate the debates. Let's remember to remind the networks about that when other parties have their leadership debates, eh! 

Actually I believe it was the NDP who approached them and wanted them to moderate to make the debate more entertaining and to increase ratings etc...I actually thought both Dumont and yaffe were very fair moderators, though the guy in Halifax did the best job of challenging people when they were being evasive.

Gaian

Gaian wrote:
NorthReport wrote:

Boy, these right-wingers sure get lots and lots of airtime in the mainstream press.

The Tories don’t fear Thomas Mulcair, but Liberals should
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/Tories+fear+Thomas+Mulcair+Liberals...

Yes, somehow we must go among those who must be taught about the extent of right-wing propaganda in the mainstream press and help them to understand - without being preachie - that those messages are not in their best interest.

This, by the way, was written with tongue in cheek to underline the tensions building around an up-front statement about the level of political consciousness out there. But some, in their very angry state, are not up to trying to understand an attempt at bitterly wry humour. How's this? :) :)
------

As for this: "It seems to me that you want to browbeat people when you should be seeking to inspire them, and you won't do that by talking down to them."

Hell, in the Ontario forum I've only been trying to argue that those who don't eat well should be given food as a first consideration - and that the bloody revolution should, perhaps, not be fought over their bodies.

bekayne

Gaian wrote:
I'd have thought that Conservatives would have been more concerned with the vision of a tattooed, out of shape young Senator who will represent them in the Senate for another third of a century, ATBE.

As opposed to this?

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

Man that is some ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gaian

bekayne wrote:

Gaian wrote:
I'd have thought that Conservatives would have been more concerned with the vision of a tattooed, out of shape young Senator who will represent them in the Senate for another third of a century, ATBE.

As opposed to this?

Yes, a good point, b, but he doesn't have a third of a century...

NorthReport

Come on, focus guys.

------------------------------

The road to 24 Sussex Dr.

What the New Democrats will have to do to win the 2015 election

 

http://thevarsity.ca/2012/04/01/the-road-to-24-sussex-dr/

NorthReport

Humm...........while I may agree with some, I certainly don't agree with all of this

 

The NDP and me

 

http://www.theargus.ca/articles/opinion/op-ed/2012/04/the-ndp-and-me

NorthReport

Ah, Ha!
Be careful what you write here folks, as others are watchin' us.  Laughing

What really swayed NDP voters on leadership

 

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/04/02/mitchel-raphael-on-what-really-swayed...

 

Olivia’s big surprise

A small surprise birthday gathering was held during the convention for Olivia Chow, at which she was presented with a huge painting of her late husband, Jack Layton, by Montreal artist Christel Marchand. The trick to get Chow to the room was to tell her she had one more interview with rabble.ca, an alternative news website. Rabble publisher Kim Elliott, a friend, says she was surprised that Chow, after a long day of non-stop network and print interviews, still agreed to show up.

janfromthebruce

read this in the link to the article above - the road to govt for the NDP via the vaniety article

Ahead of the convention, Nova Scotia premier Darrell Dexter published an op-ed in the Globe and Mail touting his government’s many economic achievements. Indeed, Dexter’s government is one of the few in Canada to be running a budgetary surplus. New Democratic governments, past and present, in Manitoba and Saskatchewan have also enjoyed many successes. As the New Democrats look towards the 2015 election, they should aggressively recruit current and former cabinet ministers from these governments to run.

 

But but aren't those old outdated ND govts who were unprogressive NDP govts, especially in Sask., just can't understand why now we would trot them out as something to emulate - thought they were old, outdated and not modern, and anybody who would have been even remotely associated with them - why they are part of the old guard. Hmm, just a couple of weeks ago, that all I heard on these boards during the leadership race that those govts and those people/leaders associated with such needed to be discarded, and really they were not progressive. The negative association was constantly linked here by some posters, and now, why it's a different story - interesting that.

NorthReport

jftb - the leadership campaign is over. Please try and let it go and just get used to it.

NorthReport

This is probably why the Topp campaign didn't stand a realistic chance of winning.

 

Cullen Narrowly Won Convention, But Mulcair Victory Already Assured

 

http://www.punditsguide.ca/2012/04/cullen-narrowly-won-convention-but-mu...

 

 

NorthReport

Politicians need to 'embrace' Mulcair

The newly elected NDP leader is an experienced politician, says a former NDP federal candidate for the PA riding

 

http://www.newstalk650.com/story/politicians-need-embrace-mulcair/50533

josh

NorthReport wrote:

A small surprise birthday gathering was held during the convention for Olivia Chow, at which she was presented with a huge painting of her late husband, Jack Layton, by Montreal artist Christel Marchand. The trick to get Chow to the room was to tell her she had one more interview with rabble.ca, an alternative news website. Rabble publisher Kim Elliott, a friend, says she was surprised that Chow, after a long day of non-stop network and print interviews, still agreed to show up.

Well we know that trick would never work on Tom Mulcair.

pookie

josh wrote:

NorthReport wrote:

A small surprise birthday gathering was held during the convention for Olivia Chow, at which she was presented with a huge painting of her late husband, Jack Layton, by Montreal artist Christel Marchand. The trick to get Chow to the room was to tell her she had one more interview with rabble.ca, an alternative news website. Rabble publisher Kim Elliott, a friend, says she was surprised that Chow, after a long day of non-stop network and print interviews, still agreed to show up.

Well we know that trick would never work on Tom Mulcair.

Snerk

janfromthebruce

lol, forgot that NP runs the board on the NDP - so yeah, leadership is over and glad we are moving forward with all new and modern thought - and so we don't need all that old stuff.  I'll look forward to postings with no reference to all that old stuff, now that we are going forward.

 

NP, please don't tell me what to do; would appreciate it. I find it rude and a bit uppity.

mtm

janfromthebruce wrote:

read this in the link to the article above - the road to govt for the NDP via the vaniety article

Ahead of the convention, Nova Scotia premier Darrell Dexter published an op-ed in the Globe and Mail touting his government’s many economic achievements. Indeed, Dexter’s government is one of the few in Canada to be running a budgetary surplus. New Democratic governments, past and present, in Manitoba and Saskatchewan have also enjoyed many successes. As the New Democrats look towards the 2015 election, they should aggressively recruit current and former cabinet ministers from these governments to run.

 

But but aren't those old outdated ND govts who were unprogressive NDP govts, especially in Sask., just can't understand why now we would trot them out as something to emulate - thought they were old, outdated and not modern, and anybody who would have been even remotely associated with them - why they are part of the old guard. Hmm, just a couple of weeks ago, that all I heard on these boards during the leadership race that those govts and those people/leaders associated with such needed to be discarded, and really they were not progressive. The negative association was constantly linked here by some posters, and now, why it's a different story - interesting that.

 

I apologize but I don't understand what you are trying to say here at all.  First off Dexter has only been in since 2009.  What exactly are you attempting to criticize here and who are you accusing as saying that the NDP governments in Manitoba and elsewhere should not be emulated.  Is ANYONE saying that?

Mucker

janfromthebruce wrote:

read this in the link to the article above - the road to govt for the NDP via the vaniety article

Ahead of the convention, Nova Scotia premier Darrell Dexter published an op-ed in the Globe and Mail touting his government’s many economic achievements. Indeed, Dexter’s government is one of the few in Canada to be running a budgetary surplus. New Democratic governments, past and present, in Manitoba and Saskatchewan have also enjoyed many successes. As the New Democrats look towards the 2015 election, they should aggressively recruit current and former cabinet ministers from these governments to run.

 

But but aren't those old outdated ND govts who were unprogressive NDP govts, especially in Sask., just can't understand why now we would trot them out as something to emulate - thought they were old, outdated and not modern, and anybody who would have been even remotely associated with them - why they are part of the old guard. Hmm, just a couple of weeks ago, that all I heard on these boards during the leadership race that those govts and those people/leaders associated with such needed to be discarded, and really they were not progressive. The negative association was constantly linked here by some posters, and now, why it's a different story - interesting that.

Touting former prominent Saskatchewan NDPers is the best way to ensure the federal NDP never wins a seat here again.

KenS

Ditto with mtm Jan, I didnt understand what you were saying about Dexter, etc.

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

What about Mulcair's front bench? Do we need changes. I just watched David Christopherson on Power and Politics and again to me he seemed weak, and unable to really dominate the discussion. The Lib was much more polished. Is it simply we aren't used to being Oppostion or does Mulcair have to look at moving people around. I can tell you I have seem Christopherson 5 or 6 times and he hasn't impressed me at all. It's like his persona is one of "oh well, they won't let me talk, so ok". That is just not going to work in my opinon. Anyone have thoughts, or can you straghten me out on this? I am willing to listen but I would sure like to know what people think who know more about this then I do.

NorthReport

‘Dumbed-down nature of the conversation’ forces NDP MP off Twitter

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/dumbed-down...

Winston

KenS wrote:

Ditto with mtm Jan, I didnt understand what you were saying about Dexter, etc.

What I understood was snark about the leadership race just passed.  If I understand correctly, the fact that a certain candidate didn't win is indicative that the Party is not proud of its provincial governments' past accomplishments in Saskatchewan and, by extension, those of every other province which the Party has governed.

Howard

-

Michelle

I agree with Angus about Twitter.  I've never been able to get into it.  I don't really get how people can have real conversations in nothing but 140 character soundbites.  It's okay for following real-time events as they're happening with people reporting from them in quick bursts, but I don't find it a very friendly medium for political discussion.

DSloth

Michelle wrote:

I agree with Angus about Twitter.  I've never been able to get into it.  I don't really get how people can have real conversations in nothing but 140 character soundbites.  It's okay for following real-time events as they're happening with people reporting from them in quick bursts, but I don't find it a very friendly medium for political discussion.

Yeah I had fun with the silly spin games played during the leadership race but without the pace of a campaign storyline I don't really see the point. I don't think I've looked at twitter, much less tweeted anything since the Convention. 

ReeferMadness

There is an incredible amount of wishful thinking going on here.  Mulcair will move the NDP towards the centre and guarantee the split of the centre left vote in the next election.  Sure, it's possible that the Libs will collapse and disappear.  It's also possible that we'll get wiped out by a massive asteroid that will end civilization.  I'm not betting on either.

So, I see a big smile on the face of Stephen Harper.   He's looking at a Dipper leader who's a former Lib and a Lib leader who's a former dipper.  The voters will have to be forgiven for getting confused as to who is right and who will be left.  Meanwhile, Harper's base has nowhere to go and he's throwing them exactly the right amount of red meat to keep them interested while not moving so fast as to alienate the centrists.  Most Canadians are so politically naive that unless he seriously upsets the applecart, Harper will not scare them off.

Bad Mojo.  Look for another Con majority in 2015.

Stockholm

I think the Liberals will fall into the low teens next election and be reduced to about 12 seats and the NDP will scoops almost all of that sliding Liberal vote. Let's face it, the Liberal Party is now nothing more than a pathetic vanity project for Bob Rae. In a head to head CPC vs. NDP battle, the NDP will win.

socialdemocrati...

Stockholm wrote:

I think the Liberals will fall into the low teens next election and be reduced to about 12 seats and the NDP will scoops almost all of that sliding Liberal vote. Let's face it, the Liberal Party is now nothing more than a pathetic vanity project for Bob Rae. In a head to head CPC vs. NDP battle, the NDP will win.

That's not fair to the Liberals. If the leadership race will show us anything, they're capable of more than one vanity project at a time.

janfromthebruce

KenS wrote:

Ditto with mtm Jan, I didnt understand what you were saying about Dexter, etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________ Our kids live together and play together in their communities, let's have them learn together too!

 

I wasn't actually relating anything to Dextor although I have heard some negative comment about this NDP govt on babble by some posters from Nova Scotia. So I apologize for including although it was in the online quote.

This has to do with the notion that the federal NDP needs to emulate and show that they are capable of running good govts and with sound economic policies and so on. Often times, NDP govts in Sask and Man are used as shiny examples of how NDP govts can provide good economic management in both good and bad times, say during times of recessions.

I always felt very proud that these govts, during tough times got the books in order and thus be able to provde programs that are more social democratic in nature.

However, during the past leadership campaign, I repeatedly read on these boards and by certain posters that those weren't good NDP govts to be proud of, and those associated with those govts (NDPers) were has beens, and we need to embrace the modern and new - those were has beens.

So I was quite surprised today, to see an article link posted here where the author - lo and behold - suggested that these same govts and those associated with these "successful" NDP govts be basically emulated and brought in by the current leadership federally - whether as staff, consultants, and/or run for office in the next election. I was dumb-founded.

So either the previous postings were a misrepresentation done strategically for particular candidate outcomes which is stuff I find distasteful during elections (smearing of other parties) or it was just a complete misread on myself. I guess I have a thing about integrity and that "means" don't justify the "ends".

That's all - no big deal - carry on. On and we all have to move on now and forget that little history online.

 

 

Jacob Two-Two

ReeferMadness wrote:

 

So, I see a big smile on the face of Stephen Harper.   He's looking at a Dipper leader who's a former Lib and a Lib leader who's a former dipper.  The voters will have to be forgiven for getting confused as to who is right and who will be left.  Meanwhile, Harper's base has nowhere to go and he's throwing them exactly the right amount of red meat to keep them interested while not moving so fast as to alienate the centrists.  Most Canadians are so politically naive that unless he seriously upsets the applecart, Harper will not scare them off.

Bad Mojo.  Look for another Con majority in 2015.

Man, do you really think that any swing voter out there cares who identifies themselves as left or right? I suspect that those who don't find the distinctions meaningless find them at least confusing. I don't believe such labels make any impact on their vote.

But more importantly, I think you're vastly overestimating the appeal of the Conservative party, and I don't say that just because I don't like them. I say that because the Liberals have been a sad joke for almost ten years now, arrogant, incompetent, and out of touch. And a broad majority of voters have simply never seen the NDP as an option (until recently). Basically there has been a political vacuum for the past decade where Canadians have been staring at three choices that they didn't feel good about, and the result was the string of minority governments.

And yet, even with barely any competition to speak of, still the Cons have laboured and strained to actually be accepted by the electorate, and have never truely gotten there. Even this last election where they finally got their majority, they just barely squeaked it out, and now it seems they had to cheat to do it. And a few months later, their numbers are back out of majority territory. I've been saying this from the very beginning and I stand by it. Canadians have never wanted to vote for the Cons, but they just felt that they had no options.

Obviously, that has changed. The Liberal party is as lost as ever, thank god, (I still think a charasmatic Liberal would sweep the nation, but it appears that's not going to happen in the near future) but the NDP under Jack finally started gaining the trust of the masses, and that same trust will carry through Mulcair's leadership and translate into big gains. All Canadians needed was someone they could feel good about voting for, but it's a slow-moving beast, this electorate. It took us a while to build this momentum, and one misstep could still wipe it all out, but barring that, it still rests with us. The Cons were just a default for a frustrated populace, but it's not the same ball game anymore.

 

Howard

Maybe the Liberals will become the new Marijuana Party now that they are in favour legalisation. They did run Ross Rebagliati after all.

ReeferMadness

Stockholm wrote:

I think the Liberals will fall into the low teens next election and be reduced to about 12 seats and the NDP will scoops almost all of that sliding Liberal vote. Let's face it, the Liberal Party is now nothing more than a pathetic vanity project for Bob Rae. In a head to head CPC vs. NDP battle, the NDP will win.

Spoken like a true sports fan.  Yay, team.  Those other guys are bums.  Bums, I tell ya!

Stockholm

Seriously, for the last 20 years the Liberals have had one argument and one argument ONLY for why anyone should vote Liberal as opposed to NDP and that was "we are big and they are small". Well no that the NDP is big and the Liberals are small, the Liberals are left with NOTHINg no argument whatsoever for why anyone should vote for them. They lived by the sword and now they shall die by the sword. Goodbye to an irrelevant party that stands for absoluetly nothing.

Careerists used to join the Liberal party because it was considered a good career move in terms of getting appointed to the Immigration and Refugee Board or to the bench - but now that the Liberals are an irelevant third party they have nothing to offer the opportunists.

ReeferMadness

Jacob Two-Two wrote:

ReeferMadness wrote:

 

So, I see a big smile on the face of Stephen Harper.   He's looking at a Dipper leader who's a former Lib and a Lib leader who's a former dipper.  The voters will have to be forgiven for getting confused as to who is right and who will be left.  Meanwhile, Harper's base has nowhere to go and he's throwing them exactly the right amount of red meat to keep them interested while not moving so fast as to alienate the centrists.  Most Canadians are so politically naive that unless he seriously upsets the applecart, Harper will not scare them off.

Bad Mojo.  Look for another Con majority in 2015.

Man, do you really think that any swing voter out there cares who identifies themselves as left or right? I suspect that those who don't find the distinctions meaningless find them at least confusing. I don't believe such labels make any impact on their vote.

No, I don't think that.  In fact, I never refer to myself or any individual as right or left - it's a two-dimensional stereotype.  I was only referencing centre-left as a population, not as individuals.

Quote:

But more importantly, I think you're vastly overestimating the appeal of the Conservative party, and I don't say that just because I don't like them. I say that because the Liberals have been a sad joke for almost ten years now, arrogant, incompetent, and out of touch. And a broad majority of voters have simply never seen the NDP as an option (until recently). Basically there has been a political vacuum for the past decade where Canadians have been staring at three choices that they didn't feel good about, and the result was the string of minority governments.

I hope you're right just for the sake of getting rid of the Cons.  But in fact, they haven't lost significant support despite the scandals.  Maybe Mulcair will prove wildly popular and NDP support will zoom.  I doubt it but maybe.

Quote:

And yet, even with barely any competition to speak of, still the Cons have laboured and strained to actually be accepted by the electorate, and have never truely gotten there. Even this last election where they finally got their majority, they just barely squeaked it out, and now it seems they had to cheat to do it. And a few months later, their numbers are back out of majority territory. I've been saying this from the very beginning and I stand by it. Canadians have never wanted to vote for the Cons, but they just felt that they had no options.

I think you talk from the heart more than the mind.

Quote:

Obviously, that has changed. The Liberal party is as lost as ever, thank god, (I still think a charasmatic Liberal would sweep the nation, but it appears that's not going to happen in the near future) but the NDP under Jack finally started gaining the trust of the masses, and that same trust will carry through Mulcair's leadership and translate into big gains. All Canadians needed was someone they could feel good about voting for, but it's a slow-moving beast, this electorate. It took us a while to build this momentum, and one misstep could still wipe it all out, but barring that, it still rests with us. The Cons were just a default for a frustrated populace, but it's not the same ball game anymore.

Maybe it's obvious.  Or maybe it's just obvious to people who desperately want it to be so.

Here's something else for you to chew on.  If the NDP should by some fantastic miracle find itself in government, it probably won't be significantly more progressive than those Liberals you love to hate.  In order for Mulcair to win, he'll need to do 3 things:

  • Annihilate the Liberals
  • Make the NDP more centrist
  • Overcome historical bias against the NDP on the part of many centrists

Number 2 is the killer.  Based on the records of actual provinical NDP administrations, an NDP government will be not much more progressive than the Chretien Liberals and probably less so than the Trudeau Liberals.

If your goal is for your team to win, then I suppose an NDP victory makes sense.  Yay team.

If your goal is to make Canada a more caring, progressive place, then the attitudes of the citizens are much more important than the title of the party.

ReeferMadness

Stockholm wrote:

Seriously, for the last 20 years the Liberals have had one argument and one argument ONLY for why anyone should vote Liberal as opposed to NDP and that was "we are big and they are small". Well no that the NDP is big and the Liberals are small, the Liberals are left with NOTHINg no argument whatsoever for why anyone should vote for them. They lived by the sword and now they shall die by the sword. Goodbye to an irrelevant party that stands for absoluetly nothing.

Careerists used to join the Liberal party because it was considered a good career move in terms of getting appointed to the Immigration and Refugee Board or to the bench - but now that the Liberals are an irelevant third party they have nothing to offer the opportunists.

Sorry, Stockholm but that's just more wishful thinking.   The Liberals got their support because they were perceived to be moderates.  People saw the Cons as one extreme and the NDP as the other.

So, now the NDP are trying to be the moderates.  In other words, they want to be just like the Liberals were.  Good luck with that.

Pages