Subject: VERY! very important! ODSP is reviewing ongoing medical eligibility just like the UK, USA
1)The Social Assistance Review Commission's report recommended that ODSP review the ongoing entitlement to benefits of current recipients who have review dates. Most recipients have review dates.
2)The Commission estimated that at the time of the report there were over 30,000 outstanding reviews and that the Province could save many $millions if recipients whose health had improved were cut off benefits.
3) It has started and the method by which the reviews are happening will itself result in many thousands of very disabled people being cut off benefits.
4) The process is that the local ODSP office is sending new forms to each recipient. These forms are almost identical to the original DDPs. The recipient is expected to take these forms to doctors. Then the forms are sent to the DAU (ODSP medical decision makers).
5) If the recipient does not send the forms back they will be cut off benefits.
6) If the doctor filling in the forms does not provide enough information to prove the case the person is cut
7) I think that most of my clients will not be able to complete this process. They will be cut off because they do not send in the forms.
8) Further I anticipate that many psychiatric survivors and HIV survivors who have stabilized will be deemed able. This will probably include most of the people in the Ambassador program and those recipients who are able to work part time.
9) I believe that at a minimum the process of reapplication may be legally challengeable as it it bureaucratic disentitlement. I also believe that it is important to both warn and assist current ODSP recipients who are now and who will be forced to respond to this awful neoliberal attack.
10) Please contact me if anyone wants to work on this issue.