Earth on Brink of an Ice Age

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sven Sven's picture
Earth on Brink of an Ice Age
Frustrated Mess Frustrated Mess's picture

Finally, something from Pravda you can sink your bias into.

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

This Fegel guy is a noted conspiracy theorist who believes the US government was behind the 9/11 attacks.

ElizaQ ElizaQ's picture

Well just to be fair or some interest I guess, here's the Pentagon report on the whole potential ice-age theory.  Not just the crazy Russians mulling it over. 

 Though their's is directed more at an abrupt change scenario.

 http://www.grist.org/pdf/AbruptClimateChange2003.pdf

 

 

M. Spector M. Spector's picture
DaveW

Everyone used to just talk about the weather,

 now they fight over it ....

 

Even though weather does not = climate, the global-warmists' arguments have a much larger popular audience when the weather actually is hot, and this partly explained the genesis of the current cycle of warm-ism in the beastly summer of 1988.

 A series of cold winters could truly cool down the public sympathy.

 

Wesen ist was Gewesen ist

Sven Sven's picture

I think the article raises some interesting questions regarding very long-term cyclical changes in the world's climate (looking at cycles occurring over hundreds of thousands, or millions, of years, as opposed to examining climate information only from the relatively recent past).

_______________________________________

Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!

ElizaQ ElizaQ's picture

 Are you assuming that doesn't already happen or something?  

 

jas

Very similar to this Sept '08 babble thread: Global Warming Scare May Have Peaked

And I will repost my Farmer's Almanac reference from there, just for fun: A Century of Cycles

P S: tried to get these links to post in blue and underlined, as M Spector has done, but it did not work.

 

Sven Sven's picture

jas wrote:
P S: tried to get these links to post in blue and underlined, as M Spector has done, but it did not work.

Are you using a Mac?  I cannot format in color (or use hyperlinks at all) with a Mac. 

_______________________________________

Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!

jas

No, pc.

 

 

Bobolink Bobolink's picture

We are going to get more precipitation whether snow ar rain because of climate change. With the oceans warming, there is more evapouration and thus a more rapid water cycle with greater volumes. More snow does not disprove global warming. In fact, it confirms it.

Sven Sven's picture

Bobolink wrote:
More snow does not disprove global warming. In fact, it confirms it.

There's a significant difference between merely having "more snow" and entering into another ice age as part of a repetitive historical cycle.

Another ice age (which is inevitable) will really suck for Canada because your entire country would be covered with hundreds (if not thousands) of feet of ice). 

_______________________________________

Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!

Fidel

Sven wrote:

Bobolink wrote:
More snow does not disprove global warming. In fact, it confirms it.

There's a significant difference between merely having "more snow" and entering into another ice age as part of a repetitive historical cycle.

Another ice age (which is inevitable) will really suck for Canada because your entire country would be covered with hundreds (if not thousands) of feet of ice). 

And prolly all of the North and Central U.S. except for the Rockies and everything west of them. Mississippi River valley on the south might prolly go untouched, except for when the glaciers melt toward the end.

But the end of the last ice age was about 10000 years ago.

Sven Sven's picture

Fidel wrote:
And prolly all of the North and Central U.S. except for the Rockies and everything west of them. Mississippi River valley on the south might prolly go untouched, except for when the glaciers melt toward the end.

But the end of the last ice age was about 10000 years ago.

Map of furthest southern reaches of ice masses during last ice age:

http://uk.encarta.msn.com/media_461527006/ice_extent_during_the_last_ice...

It would be interesting to know where the progeny of current Canadians will flee to when the ice starts flowing again.

_______________________________________

Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!

Policywonk

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2009/01/cnn-is-spun-right-...

Pravda's musings on a coming ice age date from the 70s and were not reflective of prevailing scientific thought even then.

Policywonk

Not the Milankovich theory but the idea that an ice age is imminent.

Noise

Davew:

Quote:
A series of cold winters could truly cool down the public sympathy.

If you beleive North America is the entire world, this is true.  What does a series of cold winters here while other sections of the globe experience significantly warmer temperatures do to public perception?

Policywonk

http://www.skepticalscience.com/heading-into-new-little-ice-age.htm

Another link explaining why we are not even heading into a little ice age.

Lard Tunderin Jeezus Lard Tunderin Jeezus's picture

Noise wrote:

Quote:
A series of cold winters could truly cool down the public sympathy.

If you beleive North America is the entire world, this is true.  What does a series of cold winters here while other sections of the globe experience significantly warmer temperatures do to public perception?

It's incredible that American 'skeptics' are so easily able to ignore what is happening in Europe Asia and Africa. 2008 was still one of the ten warmest years on record. Check with NASA...

Noise

Hmm, LTJ...  I usually use NCDC (National Climate Data Center) to obtain these numbers, but Nasa includes this figure that I haven't seen before:

[img]http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2008/Fig4.gif[/img]

 

I guess I need understand what info they are composing that graph from next.  Assuming thats true, solar irradiance has dropped since 2000 yet the temperatures rise.   Then again, the drop is less than .1% change...  Might be hard to draw many conclusions.   Meh, time to research...  Thanks for that link

jacki-mo

Met Office in UK (the chief climate modelers and data repository) looks to announce an emarassing finding about their super computer used in climate modelling:

 http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article5536973.ece

Everything has a price

 

500_Apples

jacki-mo wrote:

Met Office in UK (the chief climate modelers and data repository) looks to announce an emarassing finding about their super computer used in climate modelling:

 http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article5536973.ece

Everything has a price

 

Pretty ridiculous complain huh?