India

228 posts / 0 new
Last post
NDPP

India's Poorest 'Fear Hunger May Kill Us Before Coronavirus'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52002734

"...Millions of other daily-wage earners are in a similar situation. The lockdown announced by PM Narendra Modi on Tuesday evening means they are now facing no prospect of income for the next three weeks. The likelihood is, some will run out of food in the coming days."

 

jatt_1947 jatt_1947's picture

https://www.indiatoday.in/business/story/finance-minister-nirmala-sithar...
Coronavirus: FM Sitharaman announces package worth Rs 1,70,000 crore for poor, daily wagers

https://www.academia.edu/2259770/The_Blood_of_Martyrs_The_British_Concep...

Rumors were widespread of the rape of white women throughout India by rebels, but there has never been conclusive evidence. Despite this, the concept of rape became one of the primary objects of terror in the English mind.

"General Neill was compelling all the high-caste Brahmins whom he could capture. . . to collect the bloody clothes of the victims, and wash up the blood from the floor, a European soldier staniding over each with a “cat”, and administering it with vigour . . . The wretches, having been subjected to this degradation, which includes loss of caste, are then hanged, one after another. The punishment is said to be General Neill‟s own invention, and its infliction has gained him great credit."
Illustrated London News, Embodying War: British Women and Domestic Defilement in the Indian “Mutiny” 1857

Regardless, the victims were always Christians and the Mutiny was viewed as an act of persecution and a war on Christianity itself. The reported actions of the sepoys, in their immorality and irreverence for religion echoes the call to the First Crusade.

Novelists such as Charles Dickens, often viewed as a humanitarian wrote,

"I wish I were a commander in chief in India. The first thing I would do to strike that Oriental Race with amazement . . . should be to proclaim to them . . . that I should do my utmost to exterminate the race upon whom the stain of the late cruelties rested; and that I was . . .now proceeding, with . . . merciful swiftness of execution, to blot it out of mankind and raze it off the face of the Earth"

“The Perils of Certain English Prisoners”,  Christmas issue of Household Works, 185, Contemporary Perspectives of The Sepoy Mutiny: The Beginning of The End of Empire

Often the rebels were portrayed either as a people overtaken with bloodlust or chronically subject to cowardice.

The stereotype of Indian men being lascivious was used repeatedly in English literature. Over a century following the Mutiny, American films such as Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom follow the same archetype.

Excluding the rape, which the sacrifice can be interpreted as a metaphor of, this film, made in the 1980’s, follows the same archetype of the classic British horror story of India.

The Indian Horror Story has shaped the West’s opinion of the country more than the nation itself. Even today the stereotypes set by the Mutiny exist in the mind of the West.

Sean in Ottawa
Sean in Ottawa

Not everyone of the majority in India thinks things are in any way okay. By email to me from a friend in India - (I edited out only personal details):

India is handling this as well as you might suspect under a fascist government known only for its inhumanity and logistic failings. Thousands of daily wage workers, migrants, farmers etc are suddenly caught hundreds of kilometers away from home, without any money or food or employment. They shut down all buses, trains, transit services, and restricted movement, so now we see pictures of them with their family, walking with their belongings on their back. Starving, being beaten to death by the police for violating 'quarantine', their children being forced to eat grass. The pinnacle of civilization. 

Please forgive me if I sound cynical: this year has left me no reason to hope human beings will ever do the right thing, for each other or for the planet. They sent armed goons, helped by police and the army, and looted, murdered, burnt everything and everyone in sight in Muslim neighbourhoods in Delhi. More than a month later, there are still bodies resurfacing from the gutters. And there was no follow-up. There is no such thing as an independent judiciary or media anymore. In Gujarat, where they carried out the same pogrom in 2002, there were celebrations with firecrackers and loud patriotic music to celebrate the massacre. As a 24-year-old, I have now lived through two genocides, both carried out exclusively by the same man and the same political group. Sometimes, more and more these days, I wish I hadn't. I don't want to keep waking up and reliving the same worsening nightmare repeatedly. Most of my so-called educated friends/family members still ask me why I bring up 'politics' when they're happily refreshing their phones as minority groups and journalists are slaughtered every hour without impunity, so I have given up trying to communicate on that front as well. Now it's just me here, in my room, watching movies and reading books that mean the most to me, in case it all finally sinks. I have no regrets.

India could well have positive cases numbering in thousands, but there is no way to know. No social distancing possible for the 30-40 million people who don't have homes, or live with dozens of other people in a few square meters in chawls. As usual, the poorest and most vulnerable will pay the highest price. In the coming few weeks, India is going to get more than a few jolts to its skeleton. The total intensive care capacity of the ENTIRE country's healthcare system is for 70,000 people with a population of 1.3 billion. As for what happens next, your guess is as good as mine. 

My parents and I are staying home, trading stories of our lives, and being grateful for everything we'd learned to take for granted all these years. Us as a species learning from this and restarting on an ecologically-sound method based on a fairer distribution of resources, evolving to accommodate everyone in the world would be an ideal scenario, but my mind will not allow anything resembling optimism inside. Been burnt way too many times now.

If you have the capacity and drive to hope these days, hope enough for the both of us. Glad to hear you and Mxxx are okay. Keep writing whenever you can.

jatt_1947 jatt_1947's picture

Afghan Sikh given 10 days to leave by ISIS. Afghanistan was close to 10% Sikh in 80s.
Western intervention in both Iraq and Afghanistan has led to the genocide of Non-Muslims.

Will take awhile to get 10% Sikh in Afghanistan again, at least in human time||

josh
travissmith

The level of anti-semitism and anti-Hindu bigotry on this forum is surprising. I don't see any condemnation of anyone or anything but Israel and the Bjp.

Jatt, we all stand with you and share your pain. There's no place for being claiming to be on the left but who support islamic atrocities and bigotry against others.

Last year, the world grieved when a white nationalist killed 51 Muslims praying at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand. Last week, ISIS terrorists killed 25 Sikhs praying at a gurdwara in Kabul, Afghanistan. Did anyone notice? Does anyone even care?

https://twitter.com/SikhProf/status/1245008962086481928

Sikhs show up for others in their moments of need. They do it because they love, not because they expect something in return. But imagine how it feels when no one even cares after 25 Sikhs are massacred at their place of worship -- and no one even knows, let alone shows up.

In America, they kill us because they think we're Muslims. In Afghanistan, they kill us because we're not Muslims. In India, they kill us because we're Sikh. Is there anywhere Sikhs can live with freedom and dignity?

Jatt, I don't think many of the posters care particularly about India or want to understand the issues in the region. Their hatred of Israel and the Jewish people makes them blind to anything the Islamist commit elsewhere..

Sean in Ottawa

travissmith wrote:

The level of anti-semitism and anti-Hindu bigotry on this forum is surprising. I don't see any condemnation of anyone or anything but Israel and the Bjp.

Jatt, we all stand with you and share your pain. There's no place for being claiming to be on the left but who support islamic atrocities and bigotry against others.

Last year, the world grieved when a white nationalist killed 51 Muslims praying at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand. Last week, ISIS terrorists killed 25 Sikhs praying at a gurdwara in Kabul, Afghanistan. Did anyone notice? Does anyone even care?

https://twitter.com/SikhProf/status/1245008962086481928

Sikhs show up for others in their moments of need. They do it because they love, not because they expect something in return. But imagine how it feels when no one even cares after 25 Sikhs are massacred at their place of worship -- and no one even knows, let alone shows up.

In America, they kill us because they think we're Muslims. In Afghanistan, they kill us because we're not Muslims. In India, they kill us because we're Sikh. Is there anywhere Sikhs can live with freedom and dignity?

Jatt, I don't think many of the posters care particularly about India or want to understand the issues in the region. Their hatred of Israel and the Jewish people makes them blind to anything the Islamist commit elsewhere..

Hey, you have been here for 5 days and are attacking people here. Hmmm 

Not believing this one bit as there is nobody who has been anti-Hindu only people pushing back on a one-sided agenda that does not account for all that is happning.

Nobody has supported any atrocity on this site or in this thread. There have been people Jatt has shouted down who have pointed out some of the things happening to Muslims in India. There is a difference.

travissmith

Don't take me for a fool.

josh

You're not fooling anyone.

Sean in Ottawa

travissmith wrote:

Don't take me for a fool.

That is not what people are taking you for.

travissmith

You two can't even bring yourselves to condemn terrorist attacks on civilians if it's by the wrong religion.
Will just take you as Islamists from now on.

India's Hindu majority was cited as the reason for a Sikh PM, Muslim President & Christian DM ten years ago.
Now that Hindu majority is the reason for 'fascism', Israel gets a similar treatment. Let's take the debate to another thread though.

Whites can't stand for the table to be turned and for historically oppressed people to stand up for themselves.
Anyway, wait for Jatt to shout at you I'm not an Indian and I've said my piece.

People in places like Russia, China, India, Israel, Thailand, Myanmar know how to deal with Anglo-Zionists and their Jihadi mercenaries. If I thought you were capable of informing yourself I'd suggest sites to read but alas, it's unfortunate the Canadian left has become nothing more than a mouthpiece for terrorism.

Sean in Ottawa

travissmith wrote:

You two can't even bring yourselves to condemn terrorist attacks on civilians if it's by the wrong religion.
Will just take you as Islamists from now on.

India's Hindu majority was cited as the reason for a Sikh PM, Muslim President & Christian DM ten years ago.
Now that Hindu majority is the reason for 'fascism', Israel gets a similar treatment. Let's take the debate to another thread though.

Whites can't stand for the table to be turned and for historically oppressed people to stand up for themselves.
Anyway, wait for Jatt to shout at you I'm not an Indian and I've said my piece.

People in places like Russia, China, India, Israel, Thailand, Myanmar know how to deal with Anglo-Zionists and their Jihadi mercenaries. If I thought you were capable of informing yourself I'd suggest sites to read but alas, it's unfortunate the Canadian left has become nothing more than a mouthpiece for terrorism.

Utter bullshit. Your attack here is dispicable on posters here. The people you are attacking have not failed to condemn any terrorist activity. These personal attacks are unwarranted. 

The fascism comment I posted was from a letter from a person raised Hindu in India.

I am not yet convinced that you are not Jatt btw. Not buying conincidence that Jatt stopped posting and you magically got here to continue his attacks on posters here. 

Coming here and telling people that they are not able to inform themselves is also a tactic that would normally mean they would have a short stay.

All that has happened is that some people here have declined to want to speak only about some oppression. Some of us oppose it no matter where it comes from. I despise nationalism and religion picking and choosing which humans we are allowed to care about. 

Anyway fuck you and your suggestions that anyone here is a mouthpiece for terrorism. I say fuck becuase I am making clear that this is substantially less offensive than the personal attacks and crap you are spouting in what you claim are your first days here.

travissmith

White terrorists..
Thank God for mass immigration.

Creating a native class to espouse the colonizer's views was a core aspect of imperialism.
We have many examples of this type in Israel & Russia as well.

josh
travissmith

We need to support those Anglophile elites against the backwards, regressives who want India in the dark ages.
We should be ready to intervene if necessary.

voice of the damned

Okay, Travis is officially trolling. First, he complains that people are excessively anti-Israel, then he condemns "Anglo-Zionists" for supposedly supporting mercenaries in a whole list of conflicts, most of which have little or no connection with Zionism.

travissmith

voice of the damned wrote:
Okay, Travis is officially trolling. First, he complains that people are excessively anti-Israel, then he condemns "Anglo-Zionists" for supposedly supporting mercenaries in a whole list of conflicts, most of which have little or no connection with Zionism.

I'm against Israel being used as an aircraft carrier for Anglo-American globalist conflicts.
I have NO problem with settlements in the West Bank or eventually Gaza..

I don't want to watch Israel get destroyed by picking fights with countries such as: Russia, Turkey, Iran, Egypt, Syria etc
I think that as long as they recognize our interests in Palestine we can come to a compromise. :)

voice of the damned

Quote:
I think that as long as they recognize our interests in Palestine

So you're Israeli, then?

travissmith

voice of the damned wrote:
Quote:
I think that as long as they recognize our interests in Palestine
So you're Israeli, then?

Yes, Sir. I'm hoping that without external interference we can one day live as brothers in our ancient homeland.
Jews and Arabs are technically half-brothers, not many know this

voice of the damned

Well, if you really wanna live in peace with your arab brothers, I suggest you change your stance on settlements in Palestine.

kropotkin1951

voice of the damned wrote:
Well, if you really wanna live in peace with your arab brothers, I suggest you change your stance on settlements in Palestine.

Israel is another murderous European settler society that takes its cues on peace with Palestine from the Canadian Indian Act model. Israel is a theocratic state that has more than one tier of citizenship and they are based on religion and ethnicity, that is not brotherhood that is apartheid.

Of course that is what Canada has done and is continuing to do as we speak. The RCMP don't kill as many indigenous people as the IDF kills Palestinians but they are still evicting people from their homelands with paramilitary force.

travissmith

They'll only realize they're brothers when oppressed by some outside force.

kropotkin1951

travissmith wrote:

They'll only realize they're brothers when oppressed by some outside force.

The IDF is the outside force inflicting race based tyranny just as the RCMP has always been in indigenous communities in Canada.

travissmith

kropotkin1951 wrote:

 

travissmith wrote:

 

They'll only realize they're brothers when oppressed by some outside force.

 

 

The IDF is the outside force inflicting race based tyranny just as the RCMP has always been in indigenous communities in Canada.

 

Israel is changing rapidly because the current arrangement of a more secular center keeping out both Leftist Arabs and Haredis is collapsing.

As for the future, I don't know. I think religion matters more than ethnic background, so I don't think it's just to tell the Sephardi or Ashkenazi to go back to Europe. I wouldn't want to send Mizrahi back to a warzone, about the only Jews who could re-patriate into a non-hostile environment both presently and historically would be the Indian Jews.

 

I think as the world moves away from oil and there is no longer an Arabic or Iranic behemoth seeking to fund Hamas the people will move closer.

 

If both Jews and Arabs lose their foreign sponsors or the spectre of a foreign invader like Turkey looms then they will likely unify. Especially after someone like the Turks mistreats Arab civilians.

 

As for your high level of concern, maybe you should worry about the future of race relations in Canada considering its ethnic, and linguistic problems from immigration.

Israel probably will find other sponsors like Russia, India or China especially the latter due to its enviable position. I don’t think it’s going anywhere despite the protestations of anti-Semites of all stripes.

kropotkin1951

travissmith wrote:

As for your high level of concern, maybe you should worry about the future of race relations in Canada considering its ethnic, and linguistic problems from immigration.

Its too late for me to worry about that now, being I'm a sixth generation settler on my Dad's side and eleventh generation on my Mom's. For over a century my Acadian ancestors had a two state solution with the Mi'kmaq around the Bay of Fundy. Like in Palestine the British facilitated the ethnic cleansing of the region based on the religion and ethnicity of my ancestors. My immediate family, while all Canadian born, have ancestral roots in the Caribbean, Japan and numerous indigenous nations. Just your typical "white" mans family as far as I'm concerned. So no, I don't really see a problem except that there are too many racist assholes in the world.

singh47

Stop cow slaughter or we'll burn Haifa next||

Pages