U.S., Canada, and Ukraine reject anti-Nazi resolution at UN General Assembly

68 posts / 0 new
Last post
ikosmos ikosmos's picture
U.S., Canada, and Ukraine reject anti-Nazi resolution at UN General Assembly

Three countries opposed a Russian-sponsored resolution at the 3rd Committee of the UN General Assembly that condemned attempts to glorify Nazism ideology and deny German Nazi war crimes (including the Holocaust). Those countries were the USA, Canada, and Ukraine.

 

Record of the UN vote: (pdf file)

115 Yes

3     No

55   Abstain

 

 

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

Quote:
The fact that the US, Canada and Ukraine voted against, while delegations from EU member states abstained in the vote on this draft resolution, which was supported by an overwhelming majority of the UN member states, is extremely regrettable,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

“Ukraine’s position is particularly dispiriting and alarming. One can hardly understand how a country, the people of which suffered their full share of the horrors of Nazism and contributed significantly to our common victory against it, can vote against a resolution condemning its glorification,” the ministry said.

Russia has proposed similar resolutions at the UN on an annual basis, with the US and Canada consistently opposing them. The formal vote at the General Assembly will take place next month.

 

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

Vinyard of the Saker wrote:
To me, this is disgusting beyond belief.  Here we have two countries who try to positions themselves as the most pro-Israeli on the planet (the US and Canada) and the EU which has even passed laws making not only Nazi propaganda illegal, but jailing those who would dare investigate the mass murder of Jews by the Nazis (the so-called 'Holocaust').  And yet these putatively anti-Nazi and "democratic" countries are now refusing to condemn the heroization of Nazism not so much because they particularly like Nazis, but because they want to "protect" the Ukrainian junta.  As for the Ukrainians themselves, they have suffered more from Nazis then any other country or ethnic group, and yet they also refused to condemn the heroization of Nazism.  This makes a mockery not only of all their so-called principles and values, it also is an act of obscene disrespect for the millions of Ukrainian murdered by the Nazis.  There is one good thing about all this: it shows clearly and unequivocally how much the western elites truly hate Russia and that this hate clearly trumps any other considerations or values.

 

Here is the text of the document that the "freedom loving" Canadian and US regimes rejected.

NDPP

We knew that Canada OPPOSED any and all resolutions condemning Zionism. So now it's also official and internationally recorded that  the United Snakes imperium could only get two of their of their most abject, craven, puppet fascist kleptocracies to OPPOSE opposing Nazism, against most of the planet.

Canuckleheads will snooze through this as they do most everything and the media will avoid it but it's now a part of an increasingly shameful history nonetheless.

milo204

fucking disgraceful.  

6079_Smith_W

No. 

Like almost everything that is happening between Russia, Europe and the U.S. right now, it is a front for something else.

Condemning Nazism sounds like a no-brainer, but MP Alexander Baybakov, speaking about the motion, talked not about Nazism, but nationalism, specifically in the Baltic states.

Quote:

Unfortunately, it would be naïve to hope that once, no person in the world will have nationalist sentiments,” the Russian MP continues. “In some countries, separatist processes are going on, and separatist sentiments are often accompanied with nationalistic ones. In some, people are just becoming more aggressive because of social problems or some other reason. But in every country, it should be the authorities’ duty to stop manifestations of nationalism.

Of course that hasn't stopped Russia from doing the very same thing in supporting far-right and Nazi sympathetic parties in Europe. And the growth of its own far right and National Bolshevist movement, which is cut from the same cloth.

Most European nations didn't go as far as the U.S., Canada and Ukraine; they abstained. But the Norwegian representative pointed out that Anders Breivik committed his crimes because he was deprived of the freedom of speech to express far-right ideas .

Even Germany, which does ban overt expressions of Nazism, abstained.

The resolution was nothing but window dressing, and had no purpose other than as a foil not against Nazism, but against Russia's smaller neighbours. Really the only significance in the three no votes is that those countries were being more honest.

http://sputniknews.com/voiceofrussia/2012_12_21/Russias-anti-Nazism-reso...

Of course it is a lose-lose, because with the no vote Russia gets to crow that they are just a pack of Nazis, when in fact that wasn't the reason for the votes and abstentions at all.

Ukraine's reason for not supporting the resolution:

Quote:

“As long as Stalinism and neo-Stalinism are not condemned as strongly as Nazism, neo-Nazism and other forms of hatred, Ukraine would not be able to back this document,” the diplomat said.

http://rt.com/news/207899-un-anti-nazism-resolution/

Unionist

6079_Smith_W wrote:

Ukraine's reason for not supporting the resolution:

Quote:

“As long as Stalinism and neo-Stalinism are not condemned as strongly as Nazism, neo-Nazism and other forms of hatred, Ukraine would not be able to back this document,” the diplomat said.

I read the entire resolution (god forgive me), and I was going to say that while I have few qualms about suppressing Nazism, the political manoeuvring and ulterior motives of Russia are pretty crassly obvious here. Their reasons for proposing it are almost as feeble as those who oppose or abstain.

But then I read the above quote from the Ukrainian "diplomat" - channeling the same "sentiment" as those Ukrainian butchers of the Bandera brand who couldn't make up their mind whether to fight Hitler or join with him to fight Stalin. Like all the other quislings and traitors in Europe during that war.

Whether we approve Putin's selfish propaganda motives in pushing this resolution or not, the response to it merely highlights the necessity to destroy every vestige, old or new, of fascism in Europe masquerading under the nationalist banner. No country is immune.

 

 

6079_Smith_W

I agree with you Unionist, certainly to the degree that it is happening (and it is happening to some degree in all these places, and in fact pretty much everywhere).

India voted for this resolution, even though they had similar Nazi interference in their independence movement (though obviously not in the same way as in Ukraine). But have they done anything to stamp out public and even political admiration for Hitler in their country?: http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Why-is-Adolf-Hitler-popular-in-India-376622

And Israel voted in favour of the motion. Obviously we know why, but when you look at it in relation to modern politics, how much bearing does that "yes" vote have on anything their government actually does?

So yes, I agree that the Ukrainian response (and certainly the Canadian one) is another example of politicking on both sides. But seeing as the original intent had nothing to do with challenging Nazism, it is also calling their motive out for what it is.

They could have abstained, after all.

Russia started these annual resolutions in 2006, the year after Viktor Yushenko came to power in Ukraine. Why then, rather than in the early 90s, when there was an explosion of actual neo-Nazism in the former East Germany? Why wait those 15 years before ringing the alarm bells?

(edit)

In fact, I am sure Israel voted in favour through gritted teeth, certainly given all the propaganda that there is an AngloZionist Nazi cabal in charge of Ukraine.

One other thing though... the Svoboda protest in Kiev last month was to a great degree because of the Rada's repeated refusal to honour OUN:

http://www.ibtimes.com/nationalist-svoboda-party-supporters-clash-police...

Again, contrary to a lot of the propaganda, and notwithstanding the fact that the war still depends on right-wing militias.

swallow swallow's picture

Voting against that resolution is of course reprehensible. I would think that the US and Canadian governments will vote against any declaration affirming the UN Durban anti-racism programme, and that may be the key reason for their votes. 

voice of the damned

I have to wonder if that Vinyard Of The Saker guy actually read the Russian resolution before trimpetting his support for it.

His website endorses the "No To Internet Censorship" campaign run by the Electronic Frontier Foundation. Yet Section 32 of the resolution pretty much calls for censorship of the internet.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Harper Conservatives. 'Nuff said

NDPP

WTF? Canada Votes Against UN Resolution Condemning Glorification of Nazism  -  by David J Climenhaga

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/djclimenhaga/2014/11/wtf-canada-votes-ag...

"The Canadian media however apparently doesn't think this is an important story, if they are even aware of it..."

 

iyraste1313

¨not an important story¨

hmm!
So where are the so called opposition parties on this...their leadership surely knows about this!
No they are all opportunists afraid to make a statement that might look like they side with Russia and the ëvil axis.(Orwell sigue!)

And that they may offend their Ukrainian and Jewish et al vote!

This is what so called opposition politics is in Canada...principles? moral values? They have no place in Canadian politics as it now stands. Including the Greens which sold out their soul way back at the time of the putsch of 93?

This always begs the question! what are we to do!
When will we ever begin a debate on this necessity?

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

Canadian Disgrace

discusses Canadian Nazis, made welcome in Canada

driven by Canadian politics

Harper the buffoon

 

bekayne

Though it should be noted Russia only has a problem with some Neo-Nazis:

http://www.theweek.co.uk/europe/61498/russia-funds-french-national-front...

Russian loans have also been extended to Greece’s neofascist Golden Dawn party, Belgium’s Vlaams Belang, Italy’s Northern League, Hungary’s Jobbik and the Freedom Party of Austria, The Times reports. All of these parties except Golden Dawn were invited to observe Crimea's vote on joining Russia and all offered their support for the annexation of the south-eastern Ukrainian region.

Unionist

swallow wrote:

Voting against that resolution is of course reprehensible. I would think that the US and Canadian governments will vote against any declaration affirming the UN Durban anti-racism programme, and that may be the key reason for their votes. 

You know, I thought of that while plowing through the "whereases" etc. - and I think you may be right. That was the poison pill they couldn't swallow.

 

6079_Smith_W

Unionist wrote:

You know, I thought of that while plowing through the "whereases" etc. - and I think you may be right. That was the poison pill they couldn't swallow.

Yet Israel voted in favour, even though it was far more the object of Durban than the U.S. and Canada.

I lean more towards it being a response to Russia, and essentially calling this resolution what it is - a foil.

Again, look at the abstentions, which are only a difference of degrees from the no votes.

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

The poor coverage by the bought and paid for corporate media here in Canada, and the US, is noteworthy.

Alexander Mercouris summed it all up by noting that it wasn't so much that the Canadian and US regimes actually LIKE Nazis, but rather that the ant-Russian or Russophobic prejudices of the ruling elites in these countries TRUMPS everything else. And it's significant as to who follows these elites, unthinkingly, and thereby expose their social prejudices as well.

It's not always clear who sides with the rich, for much politics is lying about this very matter, but when the opinions of the rich are echoed by unexpected sources then it helps to connect the dots and identify so-called class "traitors" to ordinary people. 

The jackboot Harper regime certainly deserve the title ... but it's also important to note the deafening silence by the so-called "Opposition" Parties, who are also angling for the votes of the many Canadians of Ukrainian ancestry.

The ugly truth is that many genuine Nazis and Nazi supporters from Ukraine were wecomed into Canada after WW2, since at that time anti-Communism trumped everything. Many foreign commentators note this obvious fact that far too many Canadians are oblivious of. These ugly views are still well represented in Ukrainian Canadian circles even today.

Unionist

ikosmos wrote:

The ugly truth is that many genuine Nazis and Nazi supporters from Ukraine were wecomed into Canada after WW2, since at that time anti-Communism trumped everything. Many foreign commentators note this obvious fact that far too many Canadians are oblivious of. These ugly views are still well represented in Ukrainian Canadian circles even today.

That's the plain truth, and yes, no one teaches actual history in this country.

 

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

ONE

An example of a foreign commentator who has noted the "obvious fact" as I have called it, is Sergei Glazyev ...

Economist S. Glazyev wrote:
It’s a well known fact that following the liberation of Ukraine from the fascists, hundreds of thousands of Banderites and their families fled to America and Canada. They served as a basis for cultivating an aggressive Ukrainian Nazism.

It was then exported to Ukraine and today we see American agents in power, who are using ultra-nationalists to foment a new world war against Russia.

TWO

Supplemental: an old story from last spring but bears drawing attention to:

Ukrainians in Canada could be game-changers in federal election

This explains, but hardly justifies, the stony silence by the Opposition Parties on the disgraceful vote by the Harper regime at the UN Commission of the General Assembly.

THREE

Related to ONE above. Some Russian commentators use the derisive term "zombified" to describe the Russophobia as it exists in parts of Ukraine today. They criticize the Putin administration, and others, for doing nothing about the nefarious activities, over a couple of decades, of the US-sponsored NGO's whose activities seem to match perfectly the wishes of the US State Department.

There are perfectly legitimate reasons for Ukrainians (and Poles and people from the Baltics) to concern themselves with, e.g., Russification and crimes from the past, but it makes no more sense to look the other way when faced with Banderite and neo Nazi views and actions than if pro Nazi views were being revived in Germany itself. Anti-communism, and now Russophobia, play the role of deluding Slav into killing Slav ... just as US foreign policy has succeeded in getting Sunni to kill Shi'a and vice versa.

Divide et impera.

bekayne

ikosmos wrote:

ONE

An example of a foreign commentator who has noted the "obvious fact" as I have called it, is Sergei Glazyev ...

Economist S. Glazyev wrote:
It’s a well known fact that following the liberation of Ukraine from the fascists, hundreds of thousands of Banderites and their families fled to America and Canada. They served as a basis for cultivating an aggressive Ukrainian Nazism.

It was then exported to Ukraine and today we see American agents in power, who are using ultra-nationalists to foment a new world war against Russia.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/ukrainian-canadians/

Between 1947 and 1954, some 34,000 Ukrainians, displaced by the Second World War, arrived in Canada.

And the number would have probably been even less for the U.S.

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

You need to include those Ukrainians [and others] who fled with the help of fascist Spain to Canada and the US. And we have, of course, the whole issue of nationality of convenience. I would just mention all the Germans who, coming to North America, would say things like, "No, I'm not German. I'm Austrian. " etc.

In any case, Glazyev's point is solid. Most of us probably personally know the son or daughter of pro-Nazi Ukrainians.

swallow swallow's picture

And most of us know the sons, daughters or grandchildren of Canadians who wante dto send Jewish refugees back to Nazi Germany. "None is too many." What's your point, ikosmos? 

Yes, it's a genuine question. 

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

I reject the trivialization of this disgusting vote by the Harper regime and I don't care who is doing the trivializing. There's no way these misanthropic ideologies can be justified.

Canada and the Nazi thing.

 

Quote:
This document never made it to mainstream media  – the Post only referenced it because RT News had picked it up and as the neo-cons main media support, was angling for anti-Putin comments on the blog.  That would indicate the willingness of Canada’s mainstream media to avoid critical thinking and analysis of Canada’s entangled and bizarre foreign/domestic policies on multiple issues. As usual for the ‘new’ Canada, command and control affects the news.

Why is re-gurgitating the vomit-inducing prejudices of the corporate media now worthy of trivializing or passing over in silence? Inquiring minds want to know.

swallow swallow's picture

As Counterpunch says, it's probably about Durban. 

6079_Smith_W

That counterpunch article is funny. Lots of scorn at the European nations that have far right parties. Not a word about Russia bankrolling them and offering them free trips to Crimea and eastern Ukraine as electoral observers.

And the question isn't whether the u.s. is supporting Nazis by opposing the resolution, but what kind of fetish Vladimir Putin has for old statues of Lenin, since he sees fit to include them as a matter for concern.

And yeah, maybe I know someone who is the child of an alien abductee. What an ignorant, baseless slur.

 

 

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

Some useful quotes from the Whitewashing Fascism panel discussion on Crosstalk follow.

I'd rather provide a link to Canadian media discussion of the vote by the Harper regime ... but there is none.

Guests: Dmitry Babich
Alexander Mercouris
Nebojsa Malic.

Dmitry Babich: "This will go down in history as one of the most shameful moments in Canadian history."

Babich distinguishes Nazi collaborators in western Europe from those in eastern Europe.

Quote:
In western Europe, collaboration (with Nazis) ended at the train station. The worst thing a Frenchman could do was to report on his Jewish neighbour or maybe to take that Jewish neighbour to a train station where Germans would transport him from there to a concentration camp or to a camp of destruction. In places like Ukraine or Latvia, the locals took part in the whole process of annihilation from the start to the very end. A lot of them worked in the concentration camps. So it's quite understandable why the new regime in UKraine doesn't want to hear about it. But what reason would Canada vote against the resolution?

The answer, of course, is that plenty of those who worked in all facets of the Nazi extermination camps also worked with intelligence agencies in the USA, etc., and moved to the US and Canada following WW2. Pathological anti-communism, you see, trumped even war crimes.

Alexander Mercouris:  "For those in power in the USA and Canada, nothing, it seems, trumps Russophobia. Nothing. You can be Nazi, you can be fascist, you can be genocidal but, provided you are against the Russians, then we will back you."

Does the opposition to this motion have to do with mentioning Ukraine? How can it? Nowhere in the resolution is Ukraine mentioned.

Nebojsa Malic wrote:
The current PM of Canada is relying upon Alberta to stay in power, as opposed to previous PM's who relied on Ontario. One of the most powerful political blocs in Alberta are the Ukrainian Nazis. The descendants of the SS Division and various Banderites who were evacuated to Canada, and the UK, and the US, after 1945, when the US and Western authorities decided that eastern European Nazis were not like the German Nazis [though they let plenty of the German Nazis skate] ... This is not necessarily driven by Ukrainian politics, but is driven by Canadian politics ... which is even worse (that we thought).

If Ottawa was trying to back Kiev for some principled reason I would understand (I wouldn't approve but I would understand!) but this is purely internal political posturing and internal political games with Stephen Harper trying to play stateman and (instead) looking like a buffoon.

Babich points out that we have been fed a simplified version of what Nazism is.

Dima, aka Dmitry Babich wrote:
There is a great deal of poor understanding of Nazism in the West. For decades, people were fed a rather simplified version of what Nazism is. It was basically reduced to anti-Semitism. Anti-Semitism is the ugliest part of Nazism but it is not all of Nazism. The essence of German National Socialism was this idea of superiority of Europe - in which they thought THEY were Europe -  over "the hordes" as they called the Russians, the Ukrainians, the ByeloRussians, even Lithuanians. This (Nazi view) is very much what you hear from the (present day) so-called Euro-enthusiasts in places like Latvia, Estonia, or Ukraine. They develop their own theories that Stalin was actually WORSE than Hitler. I read, for example in a Polish newspaper, including some very respected ones, that Stalin's dictatorship was "Asian" so that it was "inferior" to Hitler's dictatorship which was European.
  
These people forget something that a great historian  Erich Goldhagen, wrote. Bolshevism was a heresy in the Enlightenment, whereas Nazism was an apostasy. The Bolsheviks won, and despite all the wars and so on, eventually showed themselves capable of reform and, little by little, it was "evicted" out of Western Europe. If Nazism had won, the face of Europe would have changed beyond recognition in 5 years, and there would have been nothing to save in 10 or 15 years.

Alexander: notes, along with the host, how the Ukrainian Nazis actually glorify an ideology that viewed them, Ukrainians, as little more than farm animals. It's ... incredibly stupid. "It is very wrong, it is very bad, and it is very stupid."

The rebirth of Nazism is not only in Ukraine, Latvia, etc. It is in many places. It looks like Canada can be added to that gruesome list. It is, important as well, to note how Nazism has been to a large extent RE-Imported BACK into Ukraine from places like Canada and the US.

The idea of the USA as the "invaluable" country, with the US as cavalry "riding to the rescue" of barbaric "others" everywhere, the USA as the global gendarme, imposing "democracy" with a truncheon, or a smart bomb, or a colour revolution, the USA (and its doltish satellites like the Harper regime in Ottawa) "punishing" errant "children" like Russia - all of this also rides on neo-Nazi ideas of an American "master race" that is not dissimilar to the Nazi idea of European superiority over Asian "barbarians".

All of this explains the rejection by Canada, the US, and the Ukrainian junta of anti Nazi motions at the UN.

bekayne

ikosmos wrote:

Nebojsa Malic wrote:
The current PM of Canada is relying upon Alberta to stay in power, as opposed to previous PM's who relied on Ontario. One of the most powerful political blocs in Alberta are the Ukrainian Nazis. The descendants of the SS Division and various Banderites who were evacuated to Canada, and the UK, and the US, after 1945, when the US and Western authorities decided that eastern European Nazis were not like the German Nazis [though they let plenty of the German Nazis skate] ... This is not necessarily driven by Ukrainian politics, but is driven by Canadian politics ... which is even worse (that we thought).

Not only slander, but not factual.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/ukrainian-canadians/

Between 1947 and 1954, some 34,000 Ukrainians, displaced by the Second World War, arrived in Canada. Representing all Ukrainian territories, they were the most complex socioeconomic group. While the Prairie provinces absorbed the bulk of the first two waves of immigration, displaced persons settled mainly in Ontario.

 

NDPP

 

Since the Canadian self-image reinforced is largely 'progressive' the accompanying deep denial of what is really happening will come as no surprise to those paying attention

Canada's Embrace of Nazism Should Come as No Surprise to Conscious Canadians  -  by Mark Taliano

http://whatsupic.com/special-canada/canadas-embrace2890.html

"Other external manifestations of the fascistic CPC government - and the courtesan corporate media's suppression of the truth - are manifest in the government's unequivocal support of a Nazi-infested illegal regime in Kiev, Ukraine.

Canada's internal and external policies increasingly demonstrate our true colors. We have become agents for extremism, terrorism and imperial warfare..."

 

Stephen Harper Linked to Nazi Intellectuals and Christian Fundamentalists Suggests Trevor Harrison's Book.

http://agoracosmopolitan.com/home/Frontpage/2011/04/19/03610.html

'Mr Harrison documents in the book entitled Of Passionate Intensity, that PM Stephen Harper was a member of the ultra-right wing Northern Foundation in 1989. Mr Harrison documents that this foundation was comprised of Neo Nazi social Darwinist intellectuals."

 

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

 

 

Nazi propaganda in Ukrainian schools. Because children just need to learn about the "Master race" and "cleansing" Ukraine of the Russian untermensch.

 

I guess we don't have to ask why Ukraine voted against the anti-Nazi resolution at the UN do we?

6079_Smith_W

ikosmos wrote:

I guess we don't have to ask why Ukraine voted against the anti-Nazi resolution at the UN do we?

No we don't.

They said themselves it was because the Russian resolution contained no mention of Stalinism (odd, considering they mentioned everything else, including the slave trade).

But perhaps you have more fun making stuff up.

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

6079_Smith_W wrote:
But perhaps you have more fun making stuff up.

The photos aren't made up. What is this all-volunteer far-right/fascist paramilitary detachment doing in a children's classroom? Showing boys and girls how to tie a bowline?

Anything these Nazis do is fine by you, huh?

6079_Smith_W

Or defend their city, maybe. I do know they have been training people to do that.

You do know that had there been no Russian invasion that organization would not have been formed in the first place. As it is, they are close to the front line of a very shaky truce. So no surprise to me that they would be there.

A_J

ikosmos wrote:

Some useful quotes from the Whitewashing Fascism panel discussion on Crosstalk follow.

Guests:

Dmitry Babich 

Alexander Mercouris
Nebojsa Malic.

Alexander Mercouris: Barrister struck off over claim that senior law lord had him kidnapped

Nebojsa Malic: Genocide denier and radical Serbian ultranationalist

 

Another all-star panel from the folks at RT.

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

lol. If you haven't got a leg to stand on, attack the messenger. It's a long established right wing approach.

boo rah.

sherpa-finn

Thanks A_J, - that's absolutely hilarious! 

And so sorry, ikosmos, - but it is fully appropriate to "attack the messengers" when one messenger is a pathologial liar and genocide denier and the other is a proven fantasist and fraud artist.  One has to draw the line somewhere!

NDPP

"We recently saw the US vote against a resolution at the UN General Assembly condemning Nazism, apparently for fear that this would limit its ability to support a Ukrainian government that is honey-combed with Neo-Nazis..."

Max Blumenthal: 14:55 minutes

http://www.mintpressnews.com/video-germany-uses-anti-semitism-stifle-cri...

 

iyraste1313

Just recently read the globalresearch.ca article by George Eliason, which suggests a far deeper background to this negative vote backed by the descendants of the emigre Nazi Ukrainian refugees, which apparently demonstrated a unparalleled viciousness of the holocaust in Ukraine during the WWII..

I receive the newsletters of the Ukrainian Federation of Canada, openly recruiting to send volunteers to support the Kyiv militias...

That Harper relies on this constituency for his electoral support..

This certainly opens up a whole new dimension to this recent vote at the UN, if this highly referenced article bears some truth!

Would an expose of the Ukrainian emigre population to Canada after the WWII effect their extreme right wing support here in Canada?

6079_Smith_W

iyraste1313 wrote:

I receive the newsletters of the Ukrainian Federation of Canada, openly recruiting to send volunteers to support the Kyiv militias...

The Ukranian National Federation of Canada, you mean?

http://unfcanada.ca/

Nothing on their website, and I couldn't find a newsletter.

They are selling wristbands to support the cause in Ukraine, and there is a call to ban RT in Canada, and to challenge anti-Ukrainian propaganda.

But sending militia volunteers? Couldn't find it. Can you help? If it exists I'd be interested to know what it actually says.

 

 

NDPP

6079_Smith_W wrote:

 there is a call to ban RT in Canada,

Do you support such a ban Smith?

6079_Smith_W

Have I ever said anything that might lead you to think I do?

No, NDPP. And I also don't think it has any chance of succeeding.

But I can certainly sympathize with their frustration, and we do have a CRTC regulation about not broadcasting false or misleading news. Hopefully that will take care of the crucified baby reports, anyway.

 

 

bekayne

ikosmos wrote:

It is very telling, for example, that noisy Russophobic media campaigns in the UK, which have in the past invariably been accompanied by the trumpeting of public opinion polls that purport to show strong public support for the frothing Xenophobia, is now accompanied by ... silence when it comes to advertising public opinion on these matters.

And no wonder. The Empire is scared.

You would dismiss any poll you didn't agree with. So why mention them?

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

bekayne wrote:
You would dismiss any poll you didn't agree with. So why mention them?

It's the absence that I'm mentioning here. The manufacture of consent is faltering, and you're still trying to parse my  replies.

What side are you on, anyway? Wouldn't you be more comfortable ... on a Conservative or Liberal discussion board? Or maybe a US discussion board?

6079_Smith_W

What's with all the baiting?

Is there a winter hunting season I don't know about?

6079_Smith_W

But on a more serious note, that pic that is supposed to show a bunch of guys with the flags of NATO, Azov and some Nazi rag (posted over in the Ukraine thread) actually came from someone claiming to be in Zhittomir, posting on VKontakte.

Didn't the UN resolution include a committment to clamp down on expressions of Nazism on social media? If VV Putin can shoot journalists in the head, and beat up politicians when they visit the graves of soldiers he doesn't want people to know were killed in Ukraine, and he just passed a law banning all the swear words in the arts,  is it really a problem for him to get the Nazi stuff off of the social media site he took over just this spring?

Was he serious about that resolution or not? Or is there something else going on here?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/31/5363990/how-putins-cronies-seized-cont...

 

 

bekayne

ikosmos wrote:

bekayne wrote:
You would dismiss any poll you didn't agree with. So why mention them?

It's the absence that I'm mentioning here. The manufacture of consent is faltering, and you're still trying to parse my  replies.

What side are you on, anyway? Wouldn't you be more comfortable ... on a Conservative or Liberal discussion board? Or maybe a US discussion board?

Pew Research does these surveys all the time:

http://www.pewglobal.org/question-search/?keywordtext=Russia&btnSubmit=S...

Here's the specific question:

http://www.pewglobal.org/question-search/?qid=841&cntIDs=&stdIDs=

6079_Smith_W

You know zombies aren't real, ikosmos. THe only inaccuracy is who it is actually opening the lid on the fake stories.

And I know I have said it more than once, but  they should have marked that monument 22 June 1941.

From 1939, and through the first half of that year Stalin was actually working with the Nazis, and killing many of those who stood in their way, just like the rest of the collaborators the Russians like to call down now.

 

 

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

Wow. Talk about shooting the messenger! Captive corporate media in Canada and the US barely say a word about the pro-Nazi voting of the US and Canadian regimes, and now we've got blather about the "frustration" with media that actually DOES report on the shameful voting of the Empire and its Ottawa vassal.

Face it. Independent media is administering a terrible thumping to the corporate media in this part of the world, especially on issues relating to the Ukrainian civil war, Russia, and so on. And this is not even a left-wing media like rabble. ca. Conservative Russian media is helping administer the drubbing. Just imagine if we had more left wing content.

Oh never mind. That is too optimistic for some.

It is very telling, for example, that noisy Russophobic media campaigns in the UK, which have in the past invariably been accompanied by the trumpeting of public opinion polls that purport to show strong public support for the frothing Xenophobia, is now accompanied by virtual ... silence when it comes to advertising public opinion on these matters. (ETA: it is the volume of noise here; undoubtedly there is still a trickle of such polls ....)

And no wonder. The Empire is scared.

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

Hey, one good image deserves another, huh?

 

This is what they mean by the "zombification" of Ukraine.

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

That's typical for supporters of the fascists and Neo-Nazis ... to identify Hitler and Stalin. There are even some fascists in Ukraine today who write about how they wish Hitler had "supported" Ukrainian nationalism more ... and then the Nazis might have won the war.

You're keeping some pretty evil company with such views.

6079_Smith_W

Are you denying that Stalin's collaboration with Hitler is true. ikosmos?

And no, Bandera wound up in a Nazi camp, so you know that was never their goal.

Pages