U.S. teacher broke law by calling creationism "superstitious nonsense"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Unionist
U.S. teacher broke law by calling creationism "superstitious nonsense"

Quote:

A US teenager has successfully won a lawsuit against a teacher who described creationism as "superstitious nonsense".

Chad Farnan, a devout Christian studying at California's Capistrano Valley high school, persuaded a judge that his European history teacher, James Corbett, violated the establishment clause of the First Amendment, which courts interpret as banning government employees from promoting, or displaying hostility towards, religion.

[url=Source.[/url]">http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/06/us-creationism-teacher-first...

Interesting. What would happen to a Canadian teacher who said such things in class? I mean in a real public school, not a religious school funded by the public.

 

Caissa

As a Christian, I'll say it: Creationism is superstitious nonsense.

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

Just when you think the USA couldn't get any weirder, a story like this pops up to restore our faith. Laughing

Rexdale_Punjabi Rexdale_Punjabi's picture

blinded.. What Is Religion? It's different then Faith What is it? It's not just the beliefs etc but the clergy, churc, imams, mosque etc set around it as well the power structure. It's a way for one group to make others go to war for a cause, give money time and energy to a cause without questioning what that cause is. If you look at the origins and history of all 3 of the "abrahamic" religions you realize that many if not all of the concept, etc are ripped off, copied, and stolen from others around them, labeled as their own, and because now they in power no-one can question that. The bible has been changed so many times it aint funny and mistranslations from hebrew to greek and then latin languages means that for example someone being called a young girl and a virgin because not having had a 2nd marriage yet would be being turned into a virgin birth. (look dat up) the examples are astounding, even down to the whitewashing of jesus and every1 in the bible when, if moses could pose as the pharaohs son, and the ppl In kemet were blacc. Nuff Said cuz Remember the mid east "arabs" is a result of invasions occuring from the 6-7th century onward b4 that the sayin is anything south of turkey was blacc basically.

Caissa

What's your point and how does it relate to this thread?

Rexdale_Punjabi Rexdale_Punjabi's picture

Caissa wrote:

What's your point and how does it relate to this thread?

proving that it is superstitious, the kid is blinded, it bs, or was my reply just supposed to be yo The court is stupid nuff said?

Caissa

You certainly didn't prove it's superstitious.  Seemed more like a mishmash of Religious Studies 101.

Spong does a good job on the Virgin Birth debate in Born of a Woman.

remind remind's picture

Well, unionist with the new human rights laws in Alberta, we just might see the same thing happening there.

Star Spangled C...

Rexdale_Punjabi wrote:

 The bible has been changed so many times it aint funny and mistranslations from hebrew to greek and then latin languages means that for example someone being called a young girl and a virgin because not having had a 2nd marriage yet would be being turned into a virgin birth.

That's really why it needs to be read in the original language. Back when I was actually better in Hebrew, I did read it in Hebrew and the subtelties that get lost in translation are amazing. What's baffling though is that I would assume high level clergy WOULD have read it in Hebrew and still perpetuate false ideas and conflate concepts like "young woman" with "virgin."

Snert Snert's picture

Not to mention the UN's recent resolution to [url=http://www.mediawatchwatch.org.uk/2008/01/02/defamation-of-religion-beco..."Combat defamation of religions"[/url]

 

That's what the world needs: more protection for religions, which historically have been unable to break into the public sphere or acheive recognition or influence of any kind. Now, with the playing field leveled, perhaps they'll finally have a voice! Thank you, UN, for empowering the world's superstitious to finally speak up!

Sven Sven's picture

Snert wrote:

That's what the world needs: more protection for religions, which historically have been unable to break into the public sphere or acheive recognition or influence of any kind.

Tongue out

_______________________________________

Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!

Rexdale_Punjabi Rexdale_Punjabi's picture

Caissa wrote:

You certainly didn't prove it's superstitious.  Seemed more like a mishmash of Religious Studies 101.

Spong does a good job on the Virgin Birth debate in Born of a Woman.

by provin that it aint factually based what's left?

Caissa

Maybe you should read the book. I'm not sure what you mean by "factually based" in a belief system.

Skinny Dipper

For those who want to look at the different versions of the Bible, go to Bible Gateway.com.

Rexdale_Punjabi Rexdale_Punjabi's picture

Caissa wrote:

Maybe you should read the book. I'm not sure what you mean by "factually based" in a belief system.

the fact that they dont admit those beliefs and stories aint their creation, changing the storys about ppl esp their race, etc the fact that for example christianity based on judaism which has taken a lot of concepts from other places esp Kemet and claimed it as theirs.

 

edit-  actually why Am I arguin with sum1 who blinded sry my bad