I suppose I don't need to raise any alarms about Harper on here. But I thought I would get to see some of the flavour of your collective blogs. I will try to be open but I started out as an accountant, am training as a manager, and have always voted on the right (at least until this election). Now that you are all writing hate mail, let me tell you about the other side.
I am a vegetarian, I have planted a small forest by myself. I read a lot and I am probably not all that far politically from a lot of you, it is just there are no politicians who would run on anything close to a platform that I could wholeheartedly support. Sadly, most of you choices are less than satisfactory as well.
I mean seriously on the left you have the greens, NDP (serious leadership issues and questionable economic strategies), the center well the Liberals are making some good noises but I have serious doubts about them delivering on their promises and then there is the corruption that will inevitably follow. PC party it just a nastier version of the American government.
That said, my politics are vastly different from what is on offer now.
Here is my ideal platform;
- Personal taxes are eliminated and corporate taxes are pretty much left alone. There should be a 10% consumption tax and the government is re-sized to fit this new reality.
- Cuts could be made at Revenue Canada
- Bureaucracies that limit business would be chopped liberally
- Culture would not be federally supported
- Languages would not be federally supported
- Corporations would not be federally supported
- Political parties should be eliminated outright
- Confrontational political system needs an overhaul (not too sure how)
- Tax breaks for contributions to politics and religion eliminated
- Religions taxed as if they were a business
- Immigration reduced until real unemployment is around 10% or under and limited to highly skilled people into in demand trades (ie Doctors)
- The military is not reduced but is mostly recalled to Canada.
- New funding is introduced to the military's equipment needs but a 100% Canadian made policy is introduced.
- Health care is properly funded and thinned out at the administrative level
- Private health care is completely allowed but not publicly funded, it is publicly regulated though.
That should be enough for the moment if we even got part of this done it would make a real change. That is just a taste of what needs to happen and there is about 3 times as much to do just to fix some of the ills, forget about making great forward strides in civilization.