Hi, new person here...

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
gulcher
Hi, new person here...

Hi all...just introducing myself...good to be here.  Looking forward to chatting with some/all of you.  Thx.

gulcher

...

Maysie Maysie's picture

Welcome gulcher. What topics, issues are you interested in?

 

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

gulcher wrote:
...

Welcome to babble, gulcher.

I see you've discovered the double-post function already!

Sven Sven's picture

M. Spector wrote:

I see you've discovered the double-post function already!

And what a useful function it is!! Wink

_______________________________________

Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

"Try to think of it as a feature"

- official motto of the New Elbbab™

gulcher

Hi Maysie...I'm not sure if I really have any pet issues to speak of, meh...I suppose we all do, but in lieu of anything else - I think this famous quote about sums me up. 

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Sven Sven's picture

gulcher wrote:

Hi Maysie...I'm not sure if I really have any pet issues to speak of, meh...I suppose we all do, but in lieu of anything else - I think this famous quote about sums me up. 

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Uh-oh.  That's sounds suspiciously libertarian.  >:)

_______________________________________

Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!

gulcher

haha, yes...well, embarrassing to say, but I did that out of confusion more than anything...

After I'd posted my first comment, there it was, this field at the bottom of my screen saying "Post a Comment"...and I thought "I just did that, but ok...I'll do what it's telling me to do" and yeah, "..." seemed the safest thing to type in case I was being a moron and double-posting.  :)

"Dave...what are you doing, Dave?"

gulcher

Sven wrote:
gulcher wrote:

Hi Maysie...I'm not sure if I really have any pet issues to speak of, meh...I suppose we all do, but in lieu of anything else - I think this famous quote about sums me up. 

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Uh-oh.  That's sounds suspiciously libertarian.  >:)

_______________________________________

Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!

haha...

Well, I suppose I've been called worse.

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

gulcher wrote:

Sven wrote:

Uh-oh.  That's sounds suspiciously libertarian.  >:)

haha...

Well, I suppose I've been called worse.

Uh-oh. There aren't many things worse than right-wing libertarianism, and if you've been called them, that sounds very ominous indeed... 

gulcher

M. Spector wrote:

Uh-oh. There aren't many things worse than right-wing libertarianism, and if you've been called them, that sounds very ominous indeed... 

Wow...haha...I have no idea how to respond to that.  Thanks...I guess?

Wilf Day

gulcher wrote:
I think this famous quote about sums me up. 

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Umm, that would be the American constitution.

And the quote is from Patrick Henry, of whom Wikipedia says:

Quote:
As a wedding gift, his father-in-law gave the couple six slaves . . . Historians today observe that Henry was known to have used fear of Indian and slave revolts in promoting military action against the British. . . During the war, he served as the first post-colonial Governor of Virginia, from 1776-79, an office he held again from 1784-86. During his first stint as Governor, he presided over several invasions of Cherokee Indian lands. . . During the five years Henry lived at Leatherwood, from 1779 to 1784, Henry owned 75 slaves.

 

 

Unionist

So Patrick Henry used the Constitution to restrain the government from restraining people like Patrick Henry.

Hey - slavery, colonial conquest, aboriginal genocide, restrained government - it's messy, but it's Amerika!

Michelle

Welcome gulcher.  As you can see, there's a lively crowd here on babble. :)  Have fun!

gulcher

Wilf Day wrote:
gulcher wrote:
I think this famous quote about sums me up. 

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Umm, that would be the American constitution.

And the quote is from Patrick Henry, of whom Wikipedia says:

Quote:
As a wedding gift, his father-in-law gave the couple six slaves . . . Historians today observe that Henry was known to have used fear of Indian and slave revolts in promoting military action against the British. . . During the war, he served as the first post-colonial Governor of Virginia, from 1776-79, an office he held again from 1784-86. During his first stint as Governor, he presided over several invasions of Cherokee Indian lands. . . During the five years Henry lived at Leatherwood, from 1779 to 1784, Henry owned 75 slaves.

 

Yes, well you could probably also legally marry your sister or even a goat in the 1780s so I won't pretend a society that existed over two hundred years ago traveled many moral high roads.

 The quote, from Patrick Henry - the American - spoke to a level of personal freedom that resonated with me...don't read too much into it.

gulcher

Michelle wrote:
Welcome gulcher.  As you can see, there's a lively crowd here on babble. :)  Have fun!

 Thank you Michelle, I'm having fun already!  :)

M. Spector M. Spector's picture

M. Spector wrote:

Uh-oh. There aren't many things worse than right-wing libertarianism, and if you've been called them, that sounds very ominous indeed... 

You heard it here first, folks.