Join the discussion about Charlie Hebdo - closed

796 posts / 0 new
Last post
voice of the damned

Um, okay. But who is supposed to be "slumming it" here, and in what way?

Durrutix

6079_Smith_W wrote:

I think "derp derp" means slumming it on that font of political correctness and high art,  4chan. THey have a great Daumier gallery over there. Made me laugh, actually.

And you didn't answer the question -- surprise surprise.  

Durrutix

voice of the damned wrote:
"Derp derp" means "Democratic Republican"? Are you saying that because the two parties are idologically similar, they are deliberately taking falls to let the other one win? I peronally don't think that's true, since I think people who run for office want to win, regardless of his close they are ideologically to their opponents. Next paragraph...

No.  I'm saying that you're an idiot.  

voice of the damned

And, by the way, anyone who has called the alleged attackers "patsies"(which includes PCR) is also implying that they are stupid. Because a patsy is someone who gets tricked into covering for someone else's crime.

voice of the damned

Oh, okay. Well, usually when I say that about a person I try to come up with some rationale for the epithet. Like for example, "Actually, no, there are few if any examples of people in politics doing dumb things that help their opponents." But I guess such ehgagement is not on order tonight.

Pondering

6079_Smith_W wrote:

Gee, if it really is just a fringe, and no one is being offended, then what is the problem?

The attackers are a western or MOSSAD false flag, now the whole notion that anyone would take offense to those pictures is a western plot too? In the first place, that claim is better directed at those who are criticizing  CH, not those of us who have no problem with it.

A fringe wants to shoot people over it. That is not common. "Terrorism" in the western world is a rare cause of injury and death.

A persecuted minority taking offence at being ridiculed is common and causes harm to the persecuted minority beyond mere offence. The reason for not doing it is not because one might get shot, or to avoid being rude. It is to avoid increasing persecution of the minority.

I don't believe this is a false flag incident but the notion is not out of the bounds of possibility.

I don't believe there was any conspiracy but I believe the incident was predictable in the general sense not the specific. The powers that be were ready to take advantage of the situation. That this event happened served the interests of the powerful.

I don't think the powers that be planned to create the impoverished banlieus of disenfranchished and angry youth, it just wasn't important. Sort of like environmental damage and garbage dumps were not a goal. Now that they exist the goal is to exploit them for profit.

Various interested parties have their own motivations. Israel wants French Jews to move to Israel and wants to incite hatred of Muslims to aid in their conquests in the mid east and encroachment on Arab lands.

France may have a long term goal of encouraging more improvished North African youth to leave the country then discouraging them from re-entry through laws that will force them to face imprisonment for having left. Those with criminal records know what that will mean.

http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2008/12/18/la-prison-de-fleury-mer...

You don't need to understand French to understand the clandestine video of conditions inside the prisons of France where Muslims are separately housed.

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Durrutrix, I'm noticing a number of people carefully avoiding calling you any number of names which may or may not be synonymous with "idiot".  How about you extend the same courtesy?  You know, in the spirit of complying with the rules of the board.

Durrutix

Timebandit wrote:

Durrutrix, I'm noticing a number of people carefully avoiding calling you any number of names which may or may not be synonymous with "idiot".  How about you extend the same courtesy?  You know, in the spirit of complying with the rules of the board.

 

I haven't noticed this.  And besides it wouldn't fit.  If you have something to say, say it.  Don't concern troll other people's posts 'cause it's kinda pathetic.  Clear?  

6079_Smith_W

@ votd, durrutix got it. "Derp derp" is a term which is about as frat boy as it gets, was my point.

Durrutix

voice of the damned wrote:
And, by the way, anyone who has called the alleged attackers "patsies"(which includes PCR) is also implying that they are stupid. Because a patsy is someone who gets tricked into covering for someone else's crime.

Patsies are pretty common.  And no -- it does not follow that someone has to be stupid to become a patsy.   

voice of the damned

@Durritix Well, maybe not "stupid", but if it's possible for someone to have bad enough judgement to be tricked by his opponents into carrying out a false flag, then it's probably possible for them to have bad enough judgement to carry out the same actions on their own volition.

Durrutix

voice of the damned wrote:
@Durritix Well, maybe not "stupid", but if it's possible for someone to have bad enough judgement to be tricked by his opponents into carrying out a false flag, then it's probably possible for them to have bad enough judgement to carry out the same actions on their own volition.

Not without money and guns and guidance.  Otherwise they would remain dreamers.  

Have you read this?  

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Terror-Factory-Manufactured-Terrorism/dp/193543...

It's actually a pretty mainstream book.  Charts in detail how the FBI has snookered thousands of Muslims into playing the patsy.  

Most were not stupid people.  Indeed if you take a look at cults, you find that frequently, very intelligent people fall prey to absurd ideas.  

Pondering

6079_Smith_W wrote:
I don't see any connection between those bombs and the attack either, unless you mean that both were violent acts by extremists against those who are resisting extremism, or just happen to be in the way. 

Then that is a huge blind spot that shuts down the conversation. You are evaluating the shooting as though it occurred in a vacuum and was motivated solely by religious fervor.

6079_Smith_W wrote:
As for your attack on the intelligensia (also a tactic with a long tradition), I have made that same comparison as she did myself, and  I don't know if people are being deliberately obtuse or are really that blind.

So it's fine for the intelligensia to ridicule everyone else but they can't be criticized.

6079_Smith_W wrote:
Nice try with the image of the marginalized youth, but I don't think they are the ones, pounding tables or writing blogs denouncing heretics. 

I don't think the ones, pounding tables or writing blogs denouncing heretics are doing the shooting nor providing the motivation. They just provide a focus for the rage.

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Durrutix wrote:

Timebandit wrote:

Durrutrix, I'm noticing a number of people carefully avoiding calling you any number of names which may or may not be synonymous with "idiot".  How about you extend the same courtesy?  You know, in the spirit of complying with the rules of the board.

 

I haven't noticed this.  And besides it wouldn't fit.  If you have something to say, say it.  Don't concern troll other people's posts 'cause it's kinda pathetic.  Clear?  

I beg your pardon?

You are not a moderator or an arbiter of who gets to chime in and on what terms.

I see you've put a lot of energy into this thread.  I do have some strong opinions on the subject and have expressed some of them - however, I've got things that need tending to IRL and can't take the time to spin conspiracy theories on a message board all day and night, so I've largely let this thread go.

Name-calling is against babble policy.  You might take some of that apparently copious free time of yours and acquaint yourself with it.

voice of the damned

Durrutix: Yes, "absurd ideas". All I'm saying is that if it's possible for someone to follow an absurd idea planted in their heads by a mole, it's possible for someone to follow an absurd idea that they came up with themselves.

Pondering

Durrutix wrote:

Timebandit wrote:

Durrutrix, I'm noticing a number of people carefully avoiding calling you any number of names which may or may not be synonymous with "idiot".  How about you extend the same courtesy?  You know, in the spirit of complying with the rules of the board.

I haven't noticed this.  And besides it wouldn't fit.  If you have something to say, say it.  Don't concern troll other people's posts 'cause it's kinda pathetic.  Clear?  

In this Timebandit is right. Babble is not a heavily moderated board so members play a large part in setting the tone. As soon as we start insulting each other personally rather than refuting points they made the path is set for a flame war.

That derails threads which defeats the purpose of this board. It impacts all members not just those directly involved.

P.S. I greatly value your participation in the thread which is why it would be a real loss if defending the right to call someone an idiot led to your suspension.

voice of the damned

^^ As for the book, is it describing actual false-flag terrorist attacks that the FBI carried out in full, or fake planned attacks that the FBI entrapped Muslims into participating in, in order to arrest the dupes(before anything actually happened) and make themselves look like big heroes worthy of ever more funding?

Durrutix

Pondering wrote:

Durrutix wrote:

Timebandit wrote:

Durrutrix, I'm noticing a number of people carefully avoiding calling you any number of names which may or may not be synonymous with "idiot".  How about you extend the same courtesy?  You know, in the spirit of complying with the rules of the board.

I haven't noticed this.  And besides it wouldn't fit.  If you have something to say, say it.  Don't concern troll other people's posts 'cause it's kinda pathetic.  Clear?  

In this Timebandit is right. Babble is not a heavily moderated board so members play a large part in setting the tone. As soon as we start insulting each other personally rather than refuting points they made the path is set for a flame war.

That derails threads which defeats the purpose of this board. It impacts all members not just those directly involved.

P.S. I greatly value your participation in the thread which is why it would be a real loss if defending the right to call someone an idiot led to your suspension.

 

Okay.  I'll dial it back.  And I apologize to those whom I may have offended.  

Durrutix

@Time-sucker

"I see you've put a lot of energy into this thread."

Not really.  

"Name-calling is against babble policy"

Ouch.  Can your mother come save you?  In any case, you should run to the mods, post-haste.  

"conspiracy theories on a message board"

Anyone who uses the term "conspiracy theorist" with any regularity is...(I was about to say an idiot...needs to do more research)...is an idiot.  Sorry, intellectually challenged member of the community.  

Durrutix

voice of the damned wrote:
Durrutix: Yes, "absurd ideas". All I'm saying is that if it's possible for someone to follow an absurd idea planted in their heads by a mole, it's possible for someone to follow an absurd idea that they came up with themselves.

 

I agree with this.  

NDPP

Anti-Islam Group Buys Ads on San Francisco Buses

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/15/anti-islam-group-buys-ads-on-san-fr...

"They began appearing within days of attacks by Islamist militants in Paris that killed 12 people at the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo and another four at a Jewish supermarket. A policewoman was also shot dead.

"Islamic Jew-Hatred, the ads read. 'It's in the Quran"

In 2012, Zionist Pamela Geller's American Freedom Defense Initiative unrolled an ad campaign saying 'In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man. Support Israel. Defeat Jihad'

 

Sodomy, the New Jihadi Training Method?

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/12/sodomy-the-new-jihadi-training-method

"In a video posted on YouTube last month, and as reported by the New York based think tank, Gatestone Institute more recently, cleric Abu al Dema al Qasab's instructions include details on how to carry out a successful suicide bombing mission by hiding explosives in the bomber's anus.

'However to undertake this jihadi approach you must agree to be sodomized for a while to widen your anus so it can hold the explosives,' al Dema al Qasab tells followers in the video.

There is no indication where or when the video was recorded. Author Raymond Ibrahim who wrote the article for Gatestone, denies claims the video is a hoax intended to insult Islam."

 

Rape Cartoons Are A Riot Aren't They?  -  by Shailja Patel

http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/01/16/rape-cartoons-are-a-riot-arent-they/

"Cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed naked, on all fours, anus presented as target, are anti-clerical snigger fodder. Unless you and half the men and boys and boy children and baby boys you know and love are named Mohammned.

Unless you and your brother, cousins, fathers, sons, friends are at daily risk of random causeless stop-and-frisks, patdowns - gropes - strip searches, cavity searches inside Enlightened Fortress Europe. Because they can.

Unless your grandfather Mohammed was raped and castrated by the French in their concentration camps in Algeria. Unless your mother survives daily harassment and threats of violence by Front National thugs in her banlieue by invoking the mercy of the Prophet on the ignorant.

Unless all the naked bodies in the Abu Ghraib torture photos look like you, like your brother, like your father, like the man your sweet baby boy will grow up to be..."

Durrutix

Timebandit wrote:

Durrutix wrote:

@Time-sucker

"I see you've put a lot of energy into this thread."

Not really.  

"Name-calling is against babble policy"

Ouch.  Can your mother come save you?  In any case, you should run to the mods, post-haste.  

"conspiracy theories on a message board"

Anyone who uses the term "conspiracy theorist" with any regularity is...(I was about to say an idiot...needs to do more research)...is an idiot.  Sorry, intellectually challenged member of the community.  

How very, very sad.  

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Durrutix wrote:

@Time-sucker

"I see you've put a lot of energy into this thread."

Not really.  

"Name-calling is against babble policy"

Ouch.  Can your mother come save you?  In any case, you should run to the mods, post-haste.  

"conspiracy theories on a message board"

Anyone who uses the term "conspiracy theorist" with any regularity is...(I was about to say an idiot...needs to do more research)...is an idiot.  Sorry, intellectually challenged member of the community.  

Personal attacks are also against babble policy.

Durrutrix, I've been a documentary filmmaker for a very long time.  I've researched subjects ranging from science, medicine and technology to current affairs and human interest and my docs have aired worldwide.  There is very little you can school me on when it comes to research.

I refer to what you're peddling here as conspiracy theory because it fits the definition.  All you have is suspicion and what-if reasoning when it's pretty clear what has happened.  I realize that you will dispute this, but frankly, I think your claims are beyond dubious.

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

I was attempting to avoid a double post.  Please see my edit above. 

For ease of reference, please see babble policy quoted below:

Quote:
 

babble terms and conditions

All babblers agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this discussion board to post any material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory. You agree to avoid personal insults, attacks and mischievous antagonism (otherwise known as "trolling"). You will not post material that is inaccurate, abusive, hateful, harassing, obscene, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy or otherwise in violation of Canadian law. You understand that racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, classist (e.g. poor-bashing) and other oppressive language that degrades marginalized communities is not acceptable. This policy applies to both public and private messages. 

Durrutix

Timebandit wrote:

I was attempting to avoid a double post.  Please see my edit above. 

For ease of reference, please see babble policy quoted below:

Quote:
 

babble terms and conditions

All babblers agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this discussion board to post any material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory. You agree to avoid personal insults, attacks and mischievous antagonism (otherwise known as "trolling"). You will not post material that is inaccurate, abusive, hateful, harassing, obscene, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy or otherwise in violation of Canadian law. You understand that racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, classist (e.g. poor-bashing) and other oppressive language that degrades marginalized communities is not acceptable. This policy applies to both public and private messages. 

 

If you would like to debate an actual issue I would be happy to do so.  As of now you resemble a whining, snot-nosed kid complaining to his mommy for support.  How pathetic is that?  

Durrutix

Timebandit wrote:

Durrutix wrote:

@Time-sucker

"I see you've put a lot of energy into this thread."

Not really.  

"Name-calling is against babble policy"

Ouch.  Can your mother come save you?  In any case, you should run to the mods, post-haste.  

"conspiracy theories on a message board"

Anyone who uses the term "conspiracy theorist" with any regularity is...(I was about to say an idiot...needs to do more research)...is an idiot.  Sorry, intellectually challenged member of the community.  

Personal attacks are also against babble policy.

Durrutrix, I've been a documentary filmmaker for a very long time.  I've researched subjects ranging from science, medicine and technology to current affairs and human interest and my docs have aired worldwide.  There is very little you can school me on when it comes to research.

I refer to what you're peddling here as conspiracy theory because it fits the definition.  All you have is suspicion and what-if reasoning when it's pretty clear what has happened.  I realize that you will dispute this, but frankly, I think your claims are beyond dubious.

And I think your claims are dubious.  What are we in the schoolyard?  Grow up.   

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Again with the personal attacks.  Mods notified. 

The real issue, as I see it, is that people were murdered for penning and publishing rude comics that were disrespectful of a particular religion.  The real distraction, as I see it, is all this nonsense about false flag operations and whether or not a police officer was murdered in cold blood in the course of his work (he most demonstrably was).  If we could set aside the bullshit and talk about what I started the damned thread about, that would be awesome.

 

ETA:  What claim have I made that is dubious?

NS NS's picture

Durrutix wrote:

@ Swallow

So edgy!  

It's garbage.  Seriously.  Like a drunken frat boy lighting his farts on fire.  

Have you ever viewed the works of a great satarist?  

Try this: 

http://www.abcgallery.com/D/daumier/daumier.html

 

 

 "How come no one mentions the homophobic subtext of the cartoons of Charlie Hebdo?",  Angry Arab asks

I have not seen any comments that address sexism and even rape apologia of Charlie

 

"Mistresses of DSK testify"

 

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

NS, that's not why the cartoonists were shot.  They were shot for disrespecting Islam. 

Durrutix

Timebandit wrote:

Again with the personal attacks.  Mods notified. 

The real issue, as I see it, is that people were murdered for penning and publishing rude comics that were disrespectful of a particular religion.  The real distraction, as I see it, is all this nonsense about false flag operations and whether or not a police officer was murdered in cold blood in the course of his work (he most demonstrably was).  If we could set aside the bullshit and talk about what I started the damned thread about, that would be awesome.

 

ETA:  What claim have I made that is dubious?

 

"Mods notified."  

Mods notified.  Again, what are you twelve?  

As for an alleged "false flag operation," it certainly wouldn't be the first time.  In fact it's a perfectly reasonable supposition given that the vast majority of terrorist attacks in Europe for the past 50 some odd years were indeed false flag operations.  Only a complete...wait for it...IDIOT would imagine otherwise.   

 

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

There is no solid evidence for that claim, Durrutrix.  This is the kind of nonsense Glenn Beck is famous for.  Oh, and Alex Jones.  Great intellectual company you're keeping. 

As I said, I'd be happy to talk about the real issue, but I see you're still busy indulging in your fantasies.  Let me know when you're ready to talk about the real world.

Durrutix

There is no "solid" evidence either way.  

And the name is Durrutix.   

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Well, I think you can suck it up over a typo after calling me "Time-suck", which was clearly deliberate.

Durrutix

Timebandit wrote:

Well, I think you can suck it up over a typo after calling me "Time-suck", which was clearly deliberate.

 

That was a clear mistake.  I meant to say...no you're right.  It was deliberate.   And yet...

Just for once I'd like an ounce of honesty.  False flags are routine.  Provocateurs are routine.  They happen every day.  COINTELPRO.  

It's dishonest to claim that these operations are rare -- we're talking about intelligence agencies with billion dollar black budgets.  

NDPP

re connections to the criminal state of Israel: It is now criminal for Canadians to fight or fundraise for terrorist entities.  It is completely legal to do both for Israel. This  state of affairs is yet another indication of the shameful cooption of Canada's own 'gauche caviar'

Harper's Canada: Bibi's Poodle

http://www.richardsilverstein.com/2015/01/15/harpers-canada-bibis-poodle

"Israel and Canada have signed secret agreements regarding their defense and intelligence relationship. Canadian ministers have even said publicly that their country considers an attack on Israel to be an attack on Canada.

But Israeli military and intelligence agencies are expert at ginning up Islamist conspiracies whether real or imagined, and rumour has it that cooperation between the Mossad and Canadian Intelligence are more robust than ever.

One must ask what benefit Canada finds in the relationship in order to overlook so many insults."

 

Charlie Hebdo Has Broad Shoulders  -  by Thierry Meyssan

http://www.voltairenet.org/article186458.html

"For Thierry Meyssan, the government has led an extensive manipulation to cast itself as the head of a great popular event and is now looking for ways to justify a new military operation in Libya..."

6079_Smith_W

Timebandit wrote:

NS, that's not why the cartoonists were shot.  They were shot for disrespecting Islam. 

Yeah, but evidently for some it is important that they be mass murderers, arch imperialists, rapists and child abusers.

I expect those PETA people have it all wrong assuming those animal cartoons aren't just to glorify, exploit, and sell their rag (then again, they are just the sort of people that a slimy misogynist group like PETA WOULD stand up for).

Surely we can find a cartoon making fun of gas attacks and the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa so we can prove they did that too.

Of course we have to be sensitive and not claim that was why those monsters were murdered. No one is justifying that, after all. Again, I am sure they got killed just so they could sell more papers.

 

 

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Durrutix wrote:

Timebandit wrote:

Well, I think you can suck it up over a typo after calling me "Time-suck", which was clearly deliberate.

 

That was a clear mistake.  I meant to say...no you're right.  It was deliberate.   And yet...

Just for once I'd like an ounce of honesty.  False flags are routine.  Provocateurs are routine.  They happen every day.  COINTELPRO.  

It's dishonest to claim that these operations are rare -- we're talking about intelligence agencies with billion dollar black budgets.  

Look, I've been in the doc business for nearly 20 years and I know a crapload of journalists.  No, there is not much evidence to support your argument that false flag operations are common - or any more involved than VOD has commented. If there was, most of us would be all over it.  But the evidence doesn't hold up if you cut out the purely speculative.  It's not dishonesty, it's the fact that the evidence does not meet the standard that it should for anyone to buy it.

Not to mention that you're pissing on the grave of a muslim cop who was doing his job by chalking his death up to a fabrication.  That's a shitty, shitty thing to do. 

There is zero evidence to support the conspiracy argument, so can we please drop it? 

I started this thread to talk about people who were murdered for offending the religious.  What we've devolved to is fantasy scenarios and intimations that they deserved to die. 

Perhaps I should have known better.

Durrutix

Timebandit wrote:

Durrutix wrote:

Timebandit wrote:

Well, I think you can suck it up over a typo after calling me "Time-suck", which was clearly deliberate.

 

That was a clear mistake.  I meant to say...no you're right.  It was deliberate.   And yet...

Just for once I'd like an ounce of honesty.  False flags are routine.  Provocateurs are routine.  They happen every day.  COINTELPRO.  

It's dishonest to claim that these operations are rare -- we're talking about intelligence agencies with billion dollar black budgets.  

Look, I've been in the doc business for nearly 20 years and I know a crapload of journalists.  No, there is not much evidence to support your argument that false flag operations are common - or any more involved than VOD has commented. If there was, most of us would be all over it.  But the evidence doesn't hold up if you cut out the purely speculative.  It's not dishonesty, it's the fact that the evidence does not meet the standard that it should for anyone to buy it.

Not to mention that you're pissing on the grave of a muslim cop who was doing his job by chalking his death up to a fabrication.  That's a shitty, shitty thing to do. 

There is zero evidence to support the conspiracy argument, so can we please drop it? 

I started this thread to talk about people who were murdered for offending the religious.  What we've devolved to is fantasy scenarios and intimations that they deserved to die. 

Perhaps I should have known better.

 

You're full of shit.  

Proof: 

http://www.amazon.ca/NATOs-Secret-Armies-Operation-Terrorism/dp/07146850...

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Well, that's a stellar argument. [/sarcasm]

So somebody wrote a book about something that happened in the Cold War.  Very interesting.  However, it has no bearing on this incident UNLESS AND UNTIL YOU CAN SHOW SOME EVIDENCE.  Again, all you've offered to this point is speculation, some of it fevered and passionate but *still speculation*.

 

6079_Smith_W

I thought the proof was that they were able to shoot straight, acted calmly and knew what they were doing. That's the expert, not at all racist rationale Greta Berlin used for claiming it was MOSSAD and not someone from the Arab community.

 

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Yeah.  And pure speculation from that not-at-all-racist point of view.  And no wishful thinking there, at all, either.  Because wouldn't it be great if it was actually Mossad...  We could tie things up into a neat little package and tie it with bow.  We can be sure that all the bad guys are the correct bad guys.  As in religion, let's start with a conclusion and then wrestle reality to make it fit.

NS NS's picture

Timebandit wrote:

NS, that's not why the cartoonists were shot.  They were shot for disrespecting Islam. 

I suggest you go back and view my comments in this thread.

 

Timeebandit & Smith

So are you ignoring racist misogyny of Charlie Hebdo or the rape apologia about Dominique Straus Kahn sexual assault victims?

Would you be okay with cartoonists using Cosby rape victims as a punch line?

Pondering

Timebandit wrote:

There is zero evidence to support the conspiracy argument, so can we please drop it? 

I started this thread to talk about people who were murdered for offending the religious.  What we've devolved to is fantasy scenarios and intimations that they deserved to die. 

I'm pretty sure he will be gone the minute a mod catches up to this thread quite possibly permanently.

Timebandit wrote:

There is zero evidence to support the conspiracy argument, so can we please drop it? 

I started this thread to talk about people who were murdered for offending the religious. 

Do you really think that is the core reason they were murdered? Do you think the islamists believed that this would result in Mohamed being treated with greater respect? Or did they think it would create more animosity between Muslims and the west and inspire more young men to offer themselves up as cannon fodder?

If Charlie Hebdo didn't exist, do you think the shooters would have refrained from acting or do you think another target would have been selected?

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

NS wrote:

Timebandit wrote:

NS, that's not why the cartoonists were shot.  They were shot for disrespecting Islam. 

I suggest you go back and view my comments in this thread.

 

Timeebandit & Smith

So are you ignoring racist misogyny of Charlie Hebdo or the rape apologia about Dominique Straus Kahn sexual assault victims?

Would you be okay with cartoonists using Cosby rape victims as a punch line?

You have a lot of difficulty with irony and cultural context, don't you?

ETA:  I'm not going to justify your game of silly buggers with a defense.  The fact is, whether or not some of their cartoons were racist or sexist (debatable, in many cases) is beside the point.  They were murdered for not respecting the rules and regs of Islam - ie: don't depict the prophet.  Otherwise known as blasphemy - although I don't really recognize blasphemy as a thing because I don't believe in anybody's deity and you can't insult an entity that doesn't exist.

Religious freedom means you are free to practise the tenets of your beliefs, not that I - or Charlie Hebdo or anyone else - am required to respect them.

Durrutix

Blah blah blah blah

 

 

Pondering

If no one in the west ever disrespected Islam would that stop the terrorist attacks?

NDPP

Charlie Hebdo Massacre Aftermath: LIVE UPDATES

http://rt.com/news/220523-deadly-attack-french-newspaper/

"Anti-terror raids are being staged across the EU. Charlie Hepdo's first post-attack edition, carrying a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed on its cover, is triggering widespread protests from Muslims and threats of violence from radical Islamists."

 

Turning Right (and vid)

http://rt.com/shows/crosstalk/223211-paris-tragedy-immigration-policies/

"In the wake of the tragedy in Paris, what are the prospects for Europe's right wing populist political parties?

CrossTalking with Stephen Haseler, John Laughland and John Weeks

Timebandit Timebandit's picture

Pondering wrote:

Do you really think that is the core reason they were murdered?

Yes.  The shooters were remarkably clear on that.  I'll take their word for it.

Quote:
Do you think the islamists believed that this would result in Mohamed being treated with greater respect? Or did they think it would create more animosity between Muslims and the west and inspire more young men to offer themselves up as cannon fodder?

It was a punitive measure, and it seems pretty clear that it was meant to both punish the offender and create fear and consequent second-guessing by any others considering "offending" Islam.  For the latter question, I don't think we'll ever know if that was the intent - although it may be an effect.

Quote:
If Charlie Hebdo didn't exist, do you think the shooters would have refrained from acting or do you think another target would have been selected?

Refrained from shooting up the staff of a magazine that doesn't exist?  Yes.  Shooting somebody else?  Probably.  There are many that are offensive to their organization, after all.  There are still Danish cartoonists in hiding, are there not?

6079_Smith_W

@ NS

What Timebandit said.

(plus, we have been around this argument quite a few times, but it seems to keep coming back with something else larded on top for not at all gratuitous shock value)

I posted this here a few days ago. Again, just a coincidence I am sure, or a secondary target because they couldn't afford the bus fare to the cop shop:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/11/german-newspaper-muhammad-c...

And there are plenty of other targets of blasphemy (including snowmen, as I mentioned) . Not all of them are white guys. Do I need to repost those, too?

voice of the damned

Pondering wrote:

"Do you really think that is the core reason they were murdered? Do you think the islamists believed that this would result in Mohamed being treated with greater respect? Or did they think it would create more animosity between Muslims and the west and inspire more young men to offer themselves up as cannon fodder?" NEXT POST...

Pages

Topic locked