What The Media Should Shut Up About

100 posts / 0 new
Last post
WWWTT

6079_Smith_W wrote:

Interviews with grieving family members who think sentences weren't harsh enough, for no reason at all other than no sentence would be harsh enough. That isn't news; it is exploitation.

 

Agreed.

 

Mr. Magoo

To be fair, if someone wants to forgive and embrace the person who raped and dismembered their daughter, the media is just as quick to report that.  So I don't feel like the media has pledged to serve the cause of vengeance.

6079_Smith_W

I am actually okay with the 10th anniversary article. It is in better taste than our former minister in charge of STC claiming last month that that tragedy was the turning point in the shutdown of our bus service.

As for the coverage back then, of course they have a right to voice their opinion, and of course the media should cover that.

When it is an article solely devoted to nothing but how the family felt he needed to be held responsible, even though he was found not criminally responsible, yes I blame the media. I read several articles and saw TV pieces devoted to that single point.

It was sad and manipulative and embarrassing to watch. The  interviewer didn't even have the guts to point out to them that we have laws about offenders who are not criminally responsible.

And as we saw back then, it ended up with the province stepping in and overruling doctors for no reason at all other than public perception. And that's not counting all the rest of the discrimination against the mentally ill, and calls for the death penalty that resulted from someone just wanting a juicy story.
 

(cross posted)

And there's a bit of a difference between expressing forgiveness and calling for mercy (there was a story about that in the case of the mother of the La Loche killer too) and not recognizing the principle of someone being not criminally responsible, or the fact that prisons aren't just built as tools of vengance.

Again, if this hadn't whipped up a whole bunch of discrimination, and interference on the part of the government it wouldn't have been such a problem.

 

 

Misfit Misfit's picture

I'm sick and tired of seeing Trump's reality tv style become the new headline grabber every single  day.

progressive17 progressive17's picture

No one is obliged to forgive someone who kills a family member. Expecting them to forgive after 100 years is completely unreasonable, if they do not want to do so. There is no forgiveness for taking a life.

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

progressive17 wrote:

No one is obliged to forgive someone who kills a family member. Expecting them to forgive after 100 years is completely unreasonable, if they do not want to do so. There is no forgiveness for taking a life.

Of course no one is obliged to forgive anything. The question is always what are the advantages and disadvantages of forgiving those who have harmed us. In my opinion, the answer varies according to circumstances and personality. Some people are naturally, or through learned conviction, more forgiving than others. However that may be for an individual, their actual behaviour will vary depending on how grievous is the harm. Those who forgive serious harm immediately and those who hang on to the slightest grudge for life represent the tails of this distribution. Most of us fall somewhere in between.

Aristotleded24

Russiagate. I'm going to be generous and pretend that there is actually some truth to that, and that it isn't a silly distraction the Democrats are using to blame anyone and anything for their election losses other than themselves. How is the focus on Russiagate going to bring people health care, give them good jobs, move towards a non fossil fuel economy, and reduce military tensions and conflicts all over the world?

Aristotleded24

Brett Kavanaugh. To a point, the fact that there are allegations against him is troubling, and exposes a real issue that needs to be discussed. The problem is it has taken up so much time in the media at the expense of other issues that are impacting people's lives. I'm perticularly frustrated that it takes up so much space in Canadian media because we have no control over the process.

The other issue I have is that this is merely the Democrats playing politics with the issue and lashing out becuase they know they have lost this one, and refuse to take responsibility for their role in this. When Scalia died, the Democrats did not effectively stand up to the Republican obstructionism that prevented Obama from filling that void. They used the issue of the Supreme Court nomination to attempt to win the Presidency, and that backfired on them big time. Now all they can do is wail and moan, but unfortunately for them, Kavanaugh's appointment to the bench was a sure thing from day one. There was never any realistic hope of stoopping this thing.

WWWTT

Legal cannabis in Canada!

oh god please make it stop. Just stick a fuckin cork in it already corporate Canadian media. 

The media bombardment about this is non stop. Just a moment ago I read an article about how Newfoundland was the first province to legalize because of the time zones. This is way over the top. 

I now refuse to read anything more about this topic! 

I used to smoke/consumer years ago and as far as I’m concerned it’s just a waste of time. Just like alcohol cigarettes etc etc etc. 

If someone wants to smoke it, go right ahead. Sure it should have never been illegal in the first place, just like all other recreational substances and the use of. But I suspect that corporate media is hyper inflating this issue to revive their circus freek side show darling Justin Trudeau 

lagatta4

That is your opinion. There are many fine people who enjoy a joint, a beer, or a glass of wine. I don't give a damn, as long as nobody does potentially dangerous things such as drink or drug driving, operating machinery etc. or if they get violent (unlikely with cannabis) and attack other people.

I think it is important, and not because I'm any great Trudeau fan. Many people are saddled with criminal records for simple possession and it has a serious impact on their lives. In that sense, it is an important civil liberty issue and a matter of justice. Often police would be more likely to single out young people of colour.

Another important issue is the attempt to undercut criminal gangs.

WWWTT

Sorry what was that lagatta4? For a moment there I went blind and deaf from the Canadian media megaphone assaulting me 24/7 with their coverage! But it's OK because I can shut it off and move on. This ability I have of not getting sucked up into the media circus freak's sideshow helps me call it out  for what it is.

As far as expressing my opinion, I think that's one of the reasons why posters come to forums like babble? 

Also, I'm not going to get sucked into a debate about legalisation use criminality etc etc. I'm posting about the media. The media's job is to inform us. If I wanted to know what province marihuana was going to be legal in first because of time zones I probably would have slapped myself in the face and thought "who the fuck cares?"

Ya I get it corporate media, marijuana is now legal (recreational use and many added new laws to go along). But hey lets all read another 20-50 articles about how pot is now legal and there's nothing else going on in the world.

NDPP

re: 'criminal gangs'

And replace them with others:

Brian Mulroney Joins Board of Directors of New York Based Pot Company

https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/brian-mulroney-joins...

"Acreage holdings, one of the largest vertically integrated cannabis companies in the US, says Mulroney will officially become a board member in November, when the company will list on the Canadian Securities Exchange. Mulroney, who also served as prime minister 1984 to 1993, will join other prominent former US politicians on the board of Acreage, including former House of Representatives speaker John Boehner and former Massachusetts governor William Weld...Mulroney's daughter, Caroline Mulroney, is the attorney general of Ontario and has been overseeing the legalization of marijuana in that province..."

Aristotleded24

The 2020 Presidential race. In recent months, we have heard several names floated. Hillary Clinton. Bernie Sanders. Andrew Yang. Richard Ojeda. Tulsi Gabbard. Kirsten Gillibrand. Kamala Harris. Corey Booker. Beto O'Rourke. Elizabeth Warren. Heck, I even read in the newspaper that my *dog* was interested in running, and I don't even have a dog. This was going on even before the current Congress was sworn in. The next election is just a little over 2 years away, let's deal with it then, and focus on more pressing things.

Aristotleded24

Apparently there is a last will and testament of the BC murder suspects who were found dead in Northern Manitoba earlier this month. How is that a public interest news item? Why does it concern anybody other than their family members? By talking about this, aren't they giving more noteriety to these individuals, noteriety that they may have wanted?

bekayne

Aristotleded24 wrote:

Apparently there is a last will and testament of the BC murder suspects who were found dead in Northern Manitoba earlier this month. How is that a public interest news item? Why does it concern anybody other than their family members? By talking about this, aren't they giving more noteriety to these individuals, noteriety that they may have wanted?

Is it a political manifesto?

Aristotleded24

bekayne wrote:
Aristotleded24 wrote:

Apparently there is a last will and testament of the BC murder suspects who were found dead in Northern Manitoba earlier this month. How is that a public interest news item? Why does it concern anybody other than their family members? By talking about this, aren't they giving more noteriety to these individuals, noteriety that they may have wanted?

Is it a political manifesto?

I have no idea. I just saw the headlines when I was clicking through the websites. I just don't see what is left to do with this case except to allow people to begin the healing process so they can move on.

laine lowe laine lowe's picture

I guess as long as the family of their victims get some sense of closure as to why their loved ones were targeted.

And why do two white young men deserve less scrutiny about their motives than when "muslim terrorists" or their sympathizers have their whole lives analyzed for motive whenever they are suspected or accused of violence and murder?

Aristotleded24

I'm sick of hearing about the Trump impeachment inquiry. There is no bigger principle involved, the Democrats are only fighting with Trump because they are not in a position to use their power the way he is doing. And why are they pretending that this outcome is anything other than a foregone conclusion? The Republicans control the Senate. A two-thirds majority is needed to remove a President. You think enough Republicans are going to turn on their guy, especially when his base is still enthusiastically behind him? Trump is not going anywhere. Time to move on to actual issues people are facing.

Aristotleded24

I know this might sound a bit cruel given the times, but do we really need to hear stories in the news about every person who gets sick with coronavirus, every person who was debilitated from it, and every person who dies? First of all, why don't we go all the way and fill the news with stories about every person who recovers without any long-term reprecussions?

Of course these debilitating and fatal infections are tragic. Peole had plans, and all of a sudden they were cut down by tragedy. The implication, the way the news media is talking about these, is that this sort of thing never happened before coronavirus. How about the many people whose lives were suddenly cut short or were suddenly disabled because of a medical condition they were not aware that they had? Notice the number of pedestians that are run down by cars every year in this country, and yet the media rarely shows these people or their families begging for dirvers to be careful in order to not ruin someone's life? Of course these people want drivers to be more careful, but they are almost never given a public platform to say as much. We know that cornoavirus can cause major sickness, often times wtih debilitating or fatal consequences. What is the actual news value of these stories?

Aristotleded24
Aristotleded24

Speaking of coronavirus, am I the only one here tired of seeing commercials from retail and food service companies thanking people for the work they do in the pandemic? Notice that these are the same retail and food service companies that under pay their staff and lobby against minimum wage increases. Are they going to put their dollars into action and pay their staff enough to live off of?

Aristotleded24

Am I alone in thinking that we should maybe consider ditching the daily coronavirus news conferences? Is there that much actual news happening that warrants that much time and attention? I understand if there's a major development like an outbreak or a new initiative the government is announcing. But it seems that most of the daily updates now involve reporting numbers of new cases, recoveries, deaths and hospitalizations. Why not condense all of that into a press release and send it out to all the major news organizations? We know events have been cancelled, we know we're under a state of emergency, we know that we have to take precautions and stay home as much as possible, what else is there to know? Speaking of cancellations, all of these big events and organizations that have yet to be cancelled? They all have social media pages, why don't they simply announce them there? We would have all the relevant information that we need and it would save us a great deal of time.

kropotkin1951

Oh no please don't stop the daily dose of Trudeau the Lesser emoting on television. He is been handed his best dramatic role ever and for those that don't cringe every time they hear him they seem to love it. Personally I turn him off unless I happen to catch a clip with him speaking French, then I don't feel like puking from the fake sincerity because I am listening to the translator.

However if we get to ditch useless reports I vote for ditching the stock market reports as well.

ETA For those that are fluent in French does he sound as insincere in French as he does in English?

Aristotleded24

kropotkin1951 wrote:
Oh no please don't stop the daily dose of Trudeau the Lesser emoting on television. He is been handed his best dramatic role ever and for those that don't cringe every time they hear him they seem to love it. Personally I turn him off unless I happen to catch a clip with him speaking French, then I don't feel like puking from the fake sincerity because I am listening to the translator.

However if we get to ditch useless reports I vote for ditching the stock market reports as well.

I was referring to the provincial "news" conferences, but I take your point about the Prime Minister as well.

Maybe instead of wasting time telling us what we already know or taking too long to tell us what is new, the media could remember that there are other things happening in the world and to start focusing on what those in power are attempting to do with our attention diverted to coronavirus?

cco

Aristotleded24 wrote:

Am I alone in thinking that we should maybe consider ditching the daily coronavirus news conferences?

Ever since I got a PVR, I've been recording (still tempted to write "taping") TV programs and fast-forwarding through the commercials. Usually I only start late enough for that (roughly 15 minutes per hour), but since the pandemic I just wait for Power & Politics to be over in its entirety and fast-forward through all pandemic-related news and press conferences. It cuts the show down to a nice 10 minutes about Canadian politics.

Until Sunday, of course, when the news became entirely about the mass shooting, and I fast-forwarded through that to get to the 10 minutes about the pandemic.

kropotkin1951 wrote:

ETA For those that are fluent in French does he sound as insincere in French as he does in English?

To my ears, he sounds worse. His French, by local standards, isn't that great.

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

It seems obvious that neither the federal nor provincial daily press conferences have any purpose other than showing us that our leaders are working hard every day to protect our health and lives. If they didn't do this, pundits would begin asking "Why hasn't Trudeau/Ford/Horgan/et al said anything about the pandemic lately?" Politics, pure and simple. Nothing to do with informing the public.

kropotkin1951

Michael Moriarity wrote:

It seems obvious that neither the federal nor provincial daily press conferences have any purpose other than showing us that our leaders are working hard every day to protect our health and lives. If they didn't do this, pundits would begin asking "Why hasn't Trudeau/Ford/Horgan/et al said anything about the pandemic lately?" Politics, pure and simple. Nothing to do with informing the public.

As much as I dislike the BC NDP on the big environmental issues they are handling this well. They have let Doctor Henry take the lead and any government announcements have been an adjunct to her and delivered by the Minister not the Premier. Far less partisan and IMO far more likely to gain them new voters.

bekayne

Michael Moriarity wrote:

It seems obvious that neither the federal nor provincial daily press conferences have any purpose other than showing us that our leaders are working hard every day to protect our health and lives. If they didn't do this, pundits would begin asking "Why hasn't Trudeau/Ford/Horgan/et al said anything about the pandemic lately?" Politics, pure and simple. Nothing to do with informing the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqAyz1coj44

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

bekayne wrote:

Michael Moriarity wrote:

It seems obvious that neither the federal nor provincial daily press conferences have any purpose other than showing us that our leaders are working hard every day to protect our health and lives. If they didn't do this, pundits would begin asking "Why hasn't Trudeau/Ford/Horgan/et al said anything about the pandemic lately?" Politics, pure and simple. Nothing to do with informing the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqAyz1coj44

LOL. I needed a good Frank Drebin joke, thanks Bekayne.

NDPP

I agree that the daily propaganda sessions are odious.  As well, the Canadian news hole, never anything to write home about, is now almost totally infected with COVID-porn and virtually empty of anything else. Canadians are already dumbed down enough without this.

lagatta4

Yes, Trudeau sounds just as smarmy and insincere in French, and makes several errors. I suppose he's imperfectly bilingual in both languages. I loathed his father (remember the War Measures Act - several older friends were detained then, and no, none were in the FLQ; they were simply union or community group activists). But he spoke both French and English eloquently.

It is horrible for me when they have the voice of the interpreter either way because I hear both at once, which reminds me too much of badly adjusted interpreting systems.

lagatta4

Yes, Trudeau sounds just as smarmy and insincere in French, and makes several errors. I suppose he's imperfectly bilingual in both languages. I loathed his father (remember the War Measures Act - several older friends were detained then, and no, none were in the FLQ; they were simply union or community group activists). But he spoke both French and English eloquently.

It is horrible for me when they have the voice of the interpreter either way because I hear both at once, which reminds me too much of badly adjusted interpreting systems.

Misfit Misfit's picture

It can always be worse. You could be the actual voice interpreter. :)

 

kropotkin1951

I remember the War Measure's Act's and the improper us of it to roundup activists in Quebec, it was a big part of what framed my views of the Canadian system I live in. The arrest of anyone vaguely left wing was one aspect that showed the true face of our police but another big thing for me was that the RCMP broke doors in all over the country of people they suspected of being criminals but without any evidence to get a warrant. That and the burning of barns and other false flags is still to this day the lens I see the RCMP through.

lagatta4

Yes, my friends a decade older have all retired, those still alive. Unfortunately quite a few died relatively young, disproportionally men. Men back then were likely to drink and smoke too much, and recreational drugs went well beyond recreation. Also, many more of the male unionists were likely to have worked in heavy industry and have respiratory or other conditions, the female in health, light industry, retail or education. Obviously there were exceptions.

It was a shock to a lot of us. I was only a teen then, of course, but I was one of those kids who got involved from puberty or so.

Aristotleded24

Am I the only one who is tired of hearing about a second coronavirus wave coming in the Fall, just as most provinces and hard-hit European countries are moving out of the first one and we are still one month away from the offical start of summer? Is it really a crime, after being stuck inside during a brutal winter with that being stuck extended because of coronavrius, after seeing so many community events cancelled and losing so many personal connections, and knowing that we will be confined to our homes next winter because of wether, possibly again contending with cancelled events because of the second wave, and after hearing so much doom-and-gloom, to want to take a break from that and enjoy the few pleasures of summer that are left? I get that this is a possibility and that we have to prepare for it. But why the needless fearmongering? That is substantially different than saying that health officials are worried about a second coronavirus wave coinciding with flu season. Note tha the specific challenges are stated? That implies that we can do something to protect ourselves, so we should find out and protect ourselves. And why all this talk of countries in the second wave? With the possible exception of Sweden, when you look through the actual numbers, you see that these "second waves" are either small spikes in comparison to the first outbreak, or these are countries that never moved past the first wave to begin with. But oh no, we need to sell papers, get TV ratings, and clicks by scaring people about the prospect of a deadlier second wave on par with what happened in the Spanish Flu.

And speaking of the Spanish Flu, I'm tired of these hyped-up comparisons without putting that particular pandemic in the context of its time.

Aristotleded24

I'm going to say what so many must be thinking but are too afraid to say right now:

I'm sick of hearing about coronavirus, and how everything that happens these days is because of coronavirus. It's so bad that if I trip on the stairs walking up to the door, I expect to see a news article saying that it's because of coronavirus.

Ken Burch

The media damn well needs to shut up about damage to THINGS during the anti-racist rising.  They should be talking about the damage done to humans by everything that led up to the rising, not talking about and showing nothing but "riot porn".

NDPP

The CBC Needs More Black Producers. And to cut the crap..."

https://twitter.com/sandela/status/1266494329876393984

Remembering too watching The National how Adrienne Arsenault and CBC did to the Gustafsen Lake Sundance protest in 1995 , pretty much exactly what Fox News is trying to do now to  the George Floyd killer kops protests.

laine lowe laine lowe's picture

Ken Burch wrote:

The media damn well needs to shut up about damage to THINGS during the anti-racist rising.  They should be talking about the damage done to humans by everything that led up to the rising, not talking about and showing nothing but "riot porn".

Absolutely. Down playing the brutal murder by police by focussing on storefronts with broken windows and some burned down buildings. As others have been observing, what about the LOOTING of black lives?

NDPP

If White is a Verb, Canadian Media Keeps Whiting

https://sandyandnora.com/episode-105-if-white-is-a-verb-canadian-media-k...

"In this episode, Sandy and Nora talk about Canadian media and how white supremacy is embedded throughout, making life hell for racialized journalists and diminishing the quality and accuracy of the news."

Aristotleded24

Merci Dr. Arruda:

Quote:

Quebec's Health Ministry says it will only provide weekly reports about COVID-19, rather than providing a daily rundown of the situation.

The province's public health institute, INSPQ, had also been publishing daily updates, including the number of cases and hospitalizations in Quebec, the number of tests conducted and how many people have died.

The data was also broken down by age and region and showed how many long-term care homes have outbreaks.

The move from daily to weekly updates appears to mean Quebec is providing data less frequently than any other Canadian province, despite leading the country in number of cases. Ontario, which has the second-highest number of cases, continues to provide daily numbers.

As of Thursday, Yukon's Emergency Measures Organization is providing a public update once per week — but the territory has only 11 confirmed cases.

Now that the virus is on the downswing in every part of the country minus Toronto, and things are opening up, we can get some reprieve from the consistent emotional and psychological terrorism to which we've been subjected the last few months. We can also turn our attention to things that are a bit more pressing. If the covid situation escalates in severity, I'm confident that the media will jump on that and let us know right away like they did before.

Aristotleded24

So with attention on the deaths from coronavirus, I thought I would talk about the death of 24-year-old Joanne Enns in Winkler, Manitoba. She's a young woman who was reported to have died of the flu in the winter time, but now the family is wondering if it is covid. There was a news article about her death when it happened, but generally these kinds of sudden tragedies have been happening all the time, known only to the friends and family of the deceased, and never making the news page. Now that people are scared of coronavirus, of course the media is going to highlight those tragedies to generate more subscriptions, clicks, and ratings. (It's the flip side of what Fox News does, which is to find people in the "high risk" catetory who survived covid in an effort to downplay the severity.) Are the coronavirus deaths tragic? Of course! But all these other deaths, many of them sudden that don't make the news, are just as tragic for the family and friends left behind. We don't even know if this was covid. As the medical expert quoted says:

Quote:
"I wouldn't wish that situation on anybody," he said. "But this is something that happens every single season with influenza."

Misfit Misfit's picture

Ari wrote:

"Are the coronavirus deaths tragic? Of course! But all these other deaths, many of them sudden that don't make the news, are just as tragic for the family and friends left behind."

This is so akin to:

Black person: "Black lives matter!"

Racist white person:"No, ALL LIVES MATTER!"

From the beginning of time people have committed suicide. Drug overdosing is an ongoing problem whether it is accidental or suicidal. But right now we are living at a time where there is a virus spreading across the globe that is killing people but especially targeting immune compromised and breathing compromised people. It takes community cooperation and participation to work to try to stop the spread of this virus. So there is something that we all can do to work together to help other people and try to save as many lives as possible.

We are living in a pandemic right now. It is normal for the media to be focusing on issues related to covid.

Drug overdoses are always problematic and tragic but you are trying to create a distraction. I don't recall you having a prior theme of drug overdosing being a pressing and consistent issue for you before this pandemic struck. That doesn't mean that you have never cared about drug overdosing before, and you likely even posted about it before too. But I think that you are tired of covid and on the restrictions that covid has placed on you personally, and that you are using drug overdose statistics as a tool to justify your anger.

I am also sure that many politicians feel the exact same way as you do but they cannot ethically proclaim that our senior citizens and immune compromised and breathing compromised friends and family members are worthless statistical collateral because they want to get re-elected. So, you will just have to live with this and listen to our government epidemiologists strategize the best balance.

There are many in the United States who seem to be more in line with your views on covid. I don't consider you to be on the same bandwidth as some of the right-wing American civil liberty rights activists, but I don't consider your views to be any compliment to you either.

Aristotleded24

Misfit wrote:
From the beginning of time people have committed suicide. Drug overdosing is an ongoing problem whether it is accidental or suicidal. But right now we are living at a time where there is a virus spreading across the globe that is killing people but especially targeting immune compromised and breathing compromised people. It takes community cooperation and participation to work to try to stop the spread of this virus. So there is something that we all can do to work together to help other people and try to save as many lives as possible.

This to me is the flip side of the logic that is used on Fox News to downplay the pandemic. "It's just old people and those with compromised immune systems, and this happens every year during flu season," they say. "Why should the rest of us who aren't at risk have to restrict our liberty for such a small portion of the population?" I find this especially cruel since there is a case to be made that lockdown and quarantine measures have made these problems worse.

Misfit wrote:
We are living in a pandemic right now. It is normal for the media to be focusing on issues related to covid.

Sometimes the media creates things and either plays them up or plays them down. This is actually a great time for the media. People are scared of the pandemic, so the media writes stories about it. More people are scared, the media sees that it's a ratings generator, and the cycle continues. Best of all from the media standpoint, they don't have to do any work. Just keep on pumping out the coronavirus stories and ignore anything else going on that would cost actual time and resources to investigate while possibly angering their corporate advertisers.

Let's also take a look at why the media in this country is focusing on covid so much. It's basically because it has arrived here. Suppose you had an outbreak of a disease that was infecting far more people, with a much higher fatality rate (let's say for the sake of argument that 35% of the people who catch this disease die from it) but that this outbreak was confined to countries in south Asia and Africa. Do you think the media would pay as much attention as covid is now receiving?

Misfit wrote:
I don't recall you having a prior theme of drug overdosing being a pressing and consistent issue for you before this pandemic struck. That doesn't mean that you have never cared about drug overdosing before, and you likely even posted about it before too.

It has made the news in Winnipeg and BC, so there is cause to pay more attention. Plus, moving about in Winnipeg, I can see for myself that the city has changed for the worse because the social distancing restrictions are causing problems with service delivery for vulnerable populations. I can assure you that if social distancing keeps drop-in centres closed over the winter, you will see bodies in the street from people freezing to death because they have nowhere to go during the day.

Misfit wrote:
I think that you are tired of covid and on the restrictions that covid has placed on you personally

Bingo. I'm entitled to feel however I want about the covid restrictions, or anything else for that matter. And many more people are also tired of these restrictions, however they don't speak up for fear of being shouted down as being grandma-killers.

Misfit wrote:
I am also sure that many politicians feel the exact same way as you do but they cannot ethically proclaim that our senior citizens and immune compromised and breathing compromised friends and family members are worthless statistical collateral because they want to get re-elected.

This has been a godsend for politicians because now people are turning to their governments more, but these politicians are the reason why we are in this mess. They ignored warnings from the WHO in the early stages when this thing could have been stopped in its tracks, they didn't do a proper quarantine for returning travellers when the pandemic was declared and everyone was ordered to go home. They didn't protect our elder care homes even though the one thing you can say with confidence about any respiratory infection is that older people are at a higher risk and that has been a huge driver of the pandemic. They didn't stand up for meat packing plant workers who were screaming that their employers weren't taking proper protective steps, and they aren't taking steps to protect temporary foreign workers who live in apalling conditions when they arrive. They're also ending social distancing restrictiosn on planes, but churches are still closed in many parts of the country and will be for some time. Back to my point about the media above, they are for the most part ignoring these bigger systemic problems that are spreading the infection, while working hard to find ways to scare individuals that every move they make will make them sick.

Misfit wrote:
There are many in the United States who seem to be more in line with your views on covid. I don't consider you to be on the same bandwidth as some of the right-wing American civil liberty rights activists, but I don't consider your views to be any compliment to you either.

I don't know what this means. I like to make up my own mind about what I think is happening. I don't like being brow-beaten or intimidated into trying to change my opinion. And on any issue that the media says, "OH MY GOD THERE IS THIS CRISIS AND WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE," I assume ulterior motivations that have more to do with controlling the population than any rational discussion. It's essentially the same way I react to fear-mongering stories in the local media about how bad crime is here, fear-mongering about why it is necessary to spray dangerous chemicals in Winnipeg to stop West Nile virus, and the same way I would respond if there was a terrorist attack and these intimidation tactics were being used to try and get us to accept authoritarianism or snitch on our neighbours.

Can't the media, for once, objectively say, "this is what the problem is, these are our options to respond, here are the pros and cons of each" without the flashlight under the chin?

Aristotleded24

Can the media just stop airing speculation about a second wave? I'll grant that a second wave may be likely, following the pattern of other pandemics. As to when, how, or even if, nobody knows with any certainty. Anybody here have a magic 8-ball or ouija board? You can come up with as good a prediction of the second wave as any scientist. Scientists may have many talents and skills, however knowing the future with certainty is not one of them.

Aristotleded24

So shortly after the CFL was cancelled, there was an opinion piece on the CBC Manitoba webpage suggesting that we might not see CFL football until 2022. (I won't link to that article because I do not want to generate traffic and encourage that kind of reporting.) Why do we need to enter such speculation when it's not even Labour Day? Whatever happened to crossing that bridge when we get there? Let's just accept that the 2020 season is gone and cross our fingers for next year. We have plenty of time to worry about cancelling next year's season or not having fans in the stands if it comes to that.

lagatta4

Speaking of "whiting" and denial of the power of racism, here is the website of Gary Yonge, a Black Briton of descent who spent many years covering US news, including several forays into the Deep South. As you can see, Younge is not only Black (duh) but also looks like the stereotype of the Big Black Guy with heavy features (there are far more racist names for such a human, but I won't repeat them here). He courageously ventured into many hostile places, but eventually he returned to Britain because he was deeply afraid for the safety of his children (not that Britain is less racist, but it is less violent, and far less infested with guns).  https://www.garyyounge.com/

By the way, WWWTT, you have every right to express your opinion about cannabis legalisation, as I have every right to express a different view. I wasn't trying to shut you down. I'm looking into CBD medication (not smoked; my dad died of cigarette smoking so I can't abide it) for arthritis, and actually, I want a formula that does NOT make me stoned.

I also hate the "lifestyle" stuff about cannabis, which is only disguised advertising, but I hate such lifestyle stuff in general except for some of the food and recipes features. (Rachel Roddy, also in the Guardian "A kitchen in Rome" - lovely simple and usually economical recipes and great stories).

Aristotleded24

With school opening up, I really dread these news reports we are going to see every time a student tests positive for covid 19. The students are already cohorted into groups, and the schools have already put in place protocols to let people know what's happened. Most of these cases will be of immediate concern only to the students affected and those within their cohort, and will not pose a danger to the wider public. I think the schools can communicate directly with those affected, and should only send out public bulletins when the safety of the wider community is at stake. There is only so much the media can cover, let's move on to more serious and important things and not worry about situations that will resolve internally on their own.

Pages