Canadian politician sues Jewish groups

106 posts / 0 new
Last post
remind remind's picture
Canadian politician sues Jewish groups

 

Quote:
An ex-candidate in Canada is suing the country's leading Jewish advocacy groups, alleging they ruined her political career.

Lesley Hughes, who was dumped as a Liberal candidate in a Winnipeg-area electoral district, claims the Canadian Jewish Congress and B'nai Brith Canada made false and defamatory accusations that she is anti-Semitic.

In a lawsuit filed June 16, Hughes alleges that as a result of the actions of the CJC and B'nai Brith, former federal Liberal leader Stephane Dion revoked her candidacy in last September's federal elections.

Hughes is suing the organizations, four of its senior members and Peter Kent, now a federal Cabinet minister who represents a heavily Jewish Toronto-area district.

Hughes claims she has been "branded as an anti-Semite and a person of unsavory character and, as a result, is no longer employable in her role as a freelance journalist/broadcaster." She also says she has suffered mental distress and humiliation.

Star Spangled C...

I would think that penning bizzare opinion pieces trading in discredited anti-Semitic conspiracy theories and bigoted cliches and her general idiocy is what ruined her political career and what makes her "no longer employable." Frankly, I'm shocked that she ever WAS employable. Easier to just blame the Jews, I guess...

Unionist

SSC, your ignorant comment from across the border illustrates the danger facing the Jewish people. You wouldn't recognize a real antisemite if he showed up your kid's Bar Mitzvah.

Lesley Hughes is no antisemite. We had threads on this issue which clearly showed how the smear campaign against her worked. I know her personally. She has always been a respected friend of the Jewish community in Winnipeg. Her association with Rabble and Canadian Dimension speak volumes. She is a progressive and outspoken journalist who got lost and ended up in the Liberal party. Hopefully the cowardly capitulation of Dion to the wealthy and powerful right-wing extremists has helped her to see the true nature of that party.

Unionist

Here comes the Zionist cavalry.

Winnifred

Well I did a Google search on this and the only article published that I could find was this one:

 

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2008/10/03/bernie-farber-the-wilful-blindness-of-lesley-hughes-and-her-beliefs.aspx

A read of this actually demonstrates that at least as far as Canadian Jewish Congress may be concerned it was pretty careful in NOT claiming Hughes was an anti-Semite: "Let’s be clear: CJC has never accused Ms. Hughes of being an antisemite. Nor is she the object of a witch hunt or the victim of thought police. She was damned by her own hand because of her unapologetic association with 9/11 Jewish conspiracy theories. If Ms. Hughes was, as she has suggested, simply “reporting” alternate theories to the generally “accepted” version of the events of September 11, she would have done well to clarify that those theories were antisemitic in nature because they represented a collective assault on the Jewish people and the essence of the community’s nature"

As Star Spangled already posted, you cannot write uncritically claiming that Jews were somehow forwarned about the WTC attack and hope not to be critiqued harshly as a result.

Edited to add: Unionist are you suggesting that Hughes' comments about WTC are OK?

Winnifred

Unionist stop with the smarm and answer the question...is it ok for Hughes to have suggested that Jews and Israelis were forwarned about the WTC attacks allowing them to leave in advance without warning others?

Star Spangled C...

Unionist wrote:
Here comes the Zionist cavalry.

Why do you insist on trying to make everything about Zionism? This has nothing to do with it. One doesn't have to be a rabid Zionist to take offence to viscious and unfounded lies being told about people.

Star Spangled C...

It now qualifies as "right wing extremism" to object to blatantly anti-Semitic lies being told to vilify and demonize an identifiable group?

If you click on the link in teh opening thread, the article plainly states that Hughes DOES NOT DISPUTE publishing a column in which she repeated a viscious smear that Israelis had advance knowledge of 9/11 and made sure to vacate teh WTC in advance. And of course, made sure to only save themselves, not alert anyone else and sleep in that morning while people burned alive.

Do you believe that there was advance knowledge of 9/11? Would you agree that anyone who DOES beleive that is either hopelessly ignorant and stupid or a bigot? Do you think someone publishing that in a newspaper might have some sort of bigoted agenda? Is such a person someone you want in Parliament?

remind remind's picture

I think Leslie Hughes is taking taking offense to the viscious and unfounded lies that were stated about her, and good for her!

And you are correct unionist!

Star Spangled C...

What lies? Did she or did she not write a column advancing the completely false and blatantly anti-Semitic conspiracy theory about 9/11? It would be like the governor of South Carolina suing CNN for "damaging his reputation" for reporting on his adultery. HE damages his OWN reputation and so does Hughes.

Cueball Cueball's picture

Star Spangled Canadian wrote:

Unionist wrote:
Here comes the Zionist cavalry.

Why do you insist on trying to make everything about Zionism? This has nothing to do with it. One doesn't have to be a rabid Zionist to take offence to viscious and unfounded lies being told about people.

You know, the Zionist cavalry that rides on a horse in the form of a special op ed piece by well known Zionist Bernie Farber.

Unionist

Winnifred wrote:

Unionist stop with the smarm and answer the question...is it ok for Hughes to have suggested that Jews and Israelis were forwarned about the WTC attacks allowing them to leave in advance without warning others?

I won't grace your lies with a response. C'mon, try and bait one out of me!

Winnifred

 I don't blame you really for not answering the direct question. After all what can you say ? If you agree with Huighes....well...if you disagree well then you end up supporting mainstream Jewish leadership...what sheer hell!!

Cueball Cueball's picture

Huh?

breezescream

Anti-semite or not, anti-zionist or not, this woman is a whack job.  Can we all agree on that, at least?

Winnifred

Unionist doesn't seem to think so

Unionist

breezescream wrote:

Anti-semite or not, anti-zionist or not, this woman is a whack job.

Speak for yourself. You appear to be very familiar with the syndrome.

breezescream

Just so I'm straight on this Unionist, are you actually saying that it's not deranged to entertain the idea that Jews were forewarned about 9/11?

Unionist

[url=http://canadiandimension.com/blog/1064][color=red]From the CD blog last October:[/color][/url]

Quote:

(By Lesley Hughes) [b]Six years ago[/b], I wrote a column which examined evidence that the U.S. occupation of Afghanistan may have been motivated by the drive for oil and drug profits.

As background, I reported that the intelligence agencies of Germany, Israel and Russia all warned the CIA that the attacks of Sept. 11 were coming, a fact also reported in the London Telegraph, the Jerusalem Post, and on Fox News. I noted that the U.S. disregarded the warnings, but Israeli businesses took them seriously, and (sensibly) vacated the Twin Towers.

The Canadian Jewish Congress seems to have assumed that I am one of those who subscribe to a bizarre conspiracy theory that the world’s Jews were responsible for 9-11, a ludicrous idea I have never supported. As a result of the Congress’s assumption, I have been slandered as an odious anti-Semite, a claim accepted by the prime minister, by the leader of the opposition, and the nation’s media. I have also been labelled an extremist nutbar who has promoted, rather than investigated, the possibility that 9-11 was an inside job. As a result, the voters of Kildonan-St. Paul have no Liberal candidate, and a narrower debate before electing their MP.

One hopes journalists will be asking two questions: 1) Who benefits from this hysteria? 2) Is it still possible for journalists to do the work of journalism, which is to “challenge the official story” in an atmosphere of fear and ridicule?

Cueball Cueball's picture

breezescream wrote:

Anti-semite or not, anti-zionist or not, this woman is a whack job.  Can we all agree on that, at least?

What makes her a whack job? We have one decontextualized alledged quote where she sites a common rumour that was circulating around immediatly after 9/11. If someone relays information that is false, it doesn't make them crazy or bigoted, necessarly. In most cases it makes them mistaken, and there is a difference.

Many people go around talking about Hozbollah Suicide bombers attacking innocent civilians. This is not a fact. In fact Hezbollah has never been shown to make extensive use of suicide bombers, and never against civilians. It is a popular myth. Does that make those persons bigots? Does that make them "whack job's". Or does it simply mean they are mistaken?

Snert Snert's picture

In a huge irony, even Al-Qaeda debunk the nutty theory that all the Jews were told to take the day off.

Meanwhile, this doesn't even need to involve anti-semitism in order to have legs.  Anyone dirt-stupid enough to believe such a ridiculous rumour really isn't fit even to be a Liberal.  Not exactly the kind of accuracy and thorougness one might expect from a journalist, either.

Quote:
If someone relays information that is false, it doesn't make them crazy or bigoted, necessarly. In most cases it makes them mistaken, and there is a difference.

 

She's allegedly a journalist. Shouldn't she have done some rudimentary fact checking before making such a fantastic and inflammatory claim?

 

And how quickly did she retract and apologize? The next day? The next week? If it's a "mistake" then surely she owned up?

Cueball Cueball's picture

Snert wrote:

She's allegedly a journalist. Shouldn't she have done some rudimentary fact checking before making such a fantastic and inflammatory claim?

Quote:
As background, I reported that the intelligence agencies of Germany, Israel and Russia all warned the CIA that the attacks of Sept. 11 were coming, a fact also reported in the London Telegraph, the Jerusalem Post, and on Fox News. I noted that the U.S. disregarded the warnings, but Israeli businesses took them seriously, and (sensibly) vacated the Twin Towers.

 

So I guess then that the London Telegraph, the Jerusalem Post and Fox News are all anti-semitic organizations filled with whack jobs.

 

breezescream

Cueball, you wrote "We have one decontextualized alledged quote where she sites a common rumour that was circulating around immediatly after 9/11..."

Only a complete moron (or Jew hater) would cite this conspiracy theory (rumour is hardly an appropriate word).

Cueball Cueball's picture

One who was repeating something that was cross confirmed in the Jerusalem Post?

remind remind's picture

breezescream wrote:
Anti-semite or not, anti-zionist or not, this woman is a whack job.  Can we all agree on that, at least?

No we can't!

Unionist

breezescream wrote:

Just so I'm straight on this Unionist, are you actually saying that it's not deranged to entertain the idea that Jews were forewarned about 9/11?

You consider "Israeli" and "Jews" as synonymous? Answer, before I waste any time communicating with you. And read her article before shitting over someone you don't know anything about.

[url=http://paulsgraham.ca/index.php/2008/09/27/lay-off-lesley-hughes-jerks/]... Paul Graham's blog last September:[/color][/url]

Quote:
If former Liberal candidate Lesley Hughes is an antisemite, then George Bush is Mahatma Gandhi, Stephen Harper is Mother Theresa and Stephane Dion is capable of leading Canada.

Of course, none of the above is true. In dumping Hughes, a well respected Winnipeg journalist and social activist, Dion has buckled under the pressure of the pro-Israel lobby and proven himself incapable of developing independent foreign policy for Canada. How else are we to judge a man who accepts the nonsense that any criticism of Israel, no matter how minor, is antisemitic?

The article that cut short Hughes brief career as a Liberal candidate, Get the Truth, raises a series of questions about the events leading up to the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. The sad irony is that the article did not even criticize Israel. Here is what she had to say:

Quote:
Many official sources are claiming to have warned the American intelligence community, which spends $30 billion a year gathering information, about the attacks on the twin towers on that heartbreaking day.

German Intelligence (BND) claims to have warned the U.S. last June, the Israeli Mossad and Russian Intelligence in August. Israeli businesses, which had offices in the Towers, vacated the premises a week before the attacks, breaking their lease to do it. About 3000 Americans working there were not so lucky.

If anything, Hughes credits Israeli inteligence with attempting to warn the Americans of an impending attack on the Twin Towers, one which they obviously ignored.

Dion’s spinelessness is not unique, unfortunately. It is difficult to find any political leader who is willing to be critical of Israeli policies. In this instance, though, his gutlessness was stupendous, because Hughes did not “blame the Jews” for anything. The point of her article was to raise questions about the genesis of 9-11 and the invasion of Afghanistan. As she put it:

Quote:
If the work of Internet journalists is correct, then the war is neither a holy war, not a grand clash of civilizations between East and West, and our soldiers were lost to us and to their families to keep drugs and oil profits flowing in the U.S.

Until we know the truth, we should refuse to add one more Canadian body to the pile of dead in Afghanistan. Not one. Canada should get the truth or get out.

Hughes has been unfairly maligned. Fortunately, many Canadians, especially those who are familiar with her and her work refuse to join the witchhunt that has been mounted by right wing media, zionist apologists and barely literate bloggers.

In an online readers poll today, the Winnipeg Free Press asked: “Do you think Liberal leader Stephane Dion was right to turf Lesley Hughes over 9/11 conspiracy writings?” Of the 2,469 readers who have responded to date, 73 percent have said “No.”

Stephane Dione has not done his party any favours in Winnipeg. However, he may have done Lesley Hughes a big favour. Had she succeeded in her election bid, I doubt she would have been happy for long.

Unionist

Snert wrote:

In a huge irony, even Al-Qaeda debunk the nutty theory that all the Jews were told to take the day off.

 

Characters like you count on your readers not going back and reading the original article. Which is why you have no readers.

breezescream

Someone's going to have to show me where the Jerusalem Post entertained this insanity as being true. 

remind remind's picture

Unionist wrote:
[url=http://canadiandimension.com/blog/1064][color=red]From the CD blog last October:[/color][/url]
Quote:

(By Lesley Hughes) [b]Six years ago[/b], I wrote a column which examined evidence that the U.S. occupation of Afghanistan may have been motivated by the drive for oil and drug profits.

As background, I reported that the intelligence agencies of Germany, Israel and Russia all warned the CIA that the attacks of Sept. 11 were coming, a fact also reported in the London Telegraph, the Jerusalem Post, and on Fox News. I noted that the U.S. disregarded the warnings, but Israeli businesses took them seriously, and (sensibly) vacated the Twin Towers.

The Canadian Jewish Congress seems to have assumed that I am one of those who subscribe to a bizarre conspiracy theory that the world’s Jews were responsible for 9-11, a ludicrous idea I have never supported. As a result of the Congress’s assumption, I have been slandered as an odious anti-Semite, a claim accepted by the prime minister, by the leader of the opposition, and the nation’s media. I have also been labelled an extremist nutbar who has promoted, rather than investigated, the possibility that 9-11 was an inside job. As a result, the voters of Kildonan-St. Paul have no Liberal candidate, and a narrower debate before electing their MP.

One hopes journalists will be asking two questions: 1) Who benefits from this hysteria? 2) Is it still possible for journalists to do the work of journalism, which is to “challenge the official story” in an atmosphere of fear and ridicule?

Apparently some are choosing to overlook this in their rush to defame Ms Hughes. Perhaps Ms Hughes should extend her law suit?

 

breezescream

"German Intelligence (BND) claims to have warned the U.S. last June, the Israeli Mossad and Russian Intelligence in August. Israeli businesses, which had offices in the Towers, vacated the premises a week before the attacks, breaking their lease to do it"

How about a little proof to back that up?  Verifying information is no longer journalistic practise......

Cueball Cueball's picture

That Isreal had foreknowledge of the attacks? It has been widely reporter numerous times that various intelligence agencies warned the US of the attack. In fact, Condeleeza Rice recieved a brief from the CIA describing precisely the kind of attack that might be made in one of her own intelligence briefings.

This report was ignored.

breezescream

Cueball wrote:  "It has been widely reporter numerous times that various intelligence agencies warned the US of the attack. In fact, Condeleeza Rice recieved a brief from the CIA describing precisely the kind of attack that might be made in one of her own intelligence briefings."

Proof, anyone?  Anyone?

Unionist

For all the pro-Israel pretend friends of the Jewish people upthread, the following letter appeared on October 1, 2008 in the Winnipeg Free Press letters section. I advise everyone here to read it carefully, and look to the signatures as well:

Quote:

[b]An open letter to the Canadian public:[/b]

We the undersigned, friends and colleagues of Lesley Hughes, know Lesley to be anything but anti-Semitic.

[b]We know Lesley Hughes to be a good friend and avid supporter of the Jewish community[/b], and indeed of every community in Winnipeg.

Over the years, Lesley Hughes has demonstrated the commitment of a capable and candid journalist, in pursuit of truth uncensored, through decades of service to the city and country she loves.

Her contributions to the community, through journalism and through her support of community service, have been recognized with several distinguished awards, including being named a YWCA Woman of Distinction.

Lesley Hughes is the author of We Chose Canada, profiles of 11 Manitobans, including Arnold Frieman, a prominent member of Winnipeg's Jewish community. [b]She has taught thoughtful, insightful, well-articulated classes on the Holocaust as part of the communications course at the University of Winnipeg.[/b] Her commitment to respect for the dignity of all persons has led her to support human rights movements at home and abroad. She has been recognized by the Lieutenant-Governor of Manitoba for her work on Canadians with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD).

As a journalist, Lesley Hughes has written about many controversial topics, with the events of September 11, 2001 among them.

We encourage all members of the Canadian public to read what Lesley Hughes actually wrote regarding 9/11. Attached is a copy for your perusal.

[b]The prime minister of Canada admitted he hadn't read what Lesley wrote, but characterized her writing as saying "Jews were behind 9/11."[/b]

[b]Bernie Farber, chief executive officer of the Canadian Jewish Congress, said "Lesley Hughes crossed a line which just simply cannot be crossed under any circumstances.[/b] There is no room in Canada or anywhere for these modern-age twists on the age-old anti-Semitic calumnies with these odious and dangerous conspiracy theories."

[b]We invite both men to cite a passage in her writing which supports their charges.[/b]

There is not a single word written by Lesley to suggest that Israel supported the 9/11 attack or the terrorists in any way. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Hughes talks about the Israeli intelligence service Mossad and two other intelligence services warning the U.S. that 9/11 was coming. They were sharing information with an ally, as is their mandate - perhaps in the hopes of adverting tragedy. The U.S. intelligence chose to ignore these warnings.

"It's now been well established that the U.S. had advance warning of a plan by Osama bin Laden to crash planes into the World Trade Centre."

The article also states that the United States used the terrorist attacks to strengthen its hold on oil in Afghanistan and Iraq. (That) these statements are now widely accepted as self-evidently true.

[b]If Lesley Hughes' comments were anti-Semitic, we would agree with public denunciation. But public denunciation of someone as anti-Semitic - when the opposite is true - weakens the charge of anti-Semitism in its true form.[/b]

Some commentators claim that Lesley Hughes should be disqualified because anyone who believes in any kind of conspiracy theory should not be considered for public office.

We remind them that Watergate was dismissed as a conspiracy theory until two honest journalists challenged the official version of the truth. Similarly, the involvement of senior aides to the premier of Manitoba in creating a new political party was at first dismissed as a conspiracy theory, but later proved by a journalist to be true.

We know that open, honest, and candid inquiry is part of what Canada is all about. Misguided accusations of racism should not be used to intimidate or silence that pursuit.

Signed by:

Don Marks
Gary Zubeck
Christine & Keynes Emeruwa
Muriel Smith
Ellen MacDonald
Bruce Hanks
Ivan Berkowitz
Linda James
Marika Panchuk
Linda Lazarowich
Ken Macdonald
S. June Menzies
Randi Gage
Ken Murdoch B.A., M.Div., M.S.W. (Retired)
Abraham (Abe) Arnold, C. M. LL. D.
Bertha Arnold
Cy Gonick
Mary Scott
Mark Golden
Geoff Hughes
Carolyn Garlich
Barrie & Phyllis Webster
Meryle Lewis
Lenore Berscheid
Kreesta Doucette
Phyllis Watson
Paula & Andrey Sigurnjak
Roz & Larry Usiskin
Pearl Eyford
Pat Powell
Stephen & Dee Gillies
Michael Welch
Bob Axworthy

Chris Webb, Canadian Dimension

Roz Usiskin, President
United Jewish People's Order

Dora Rosenbum, Vice president
United Jewish People's Order

Vienna Badiuk
The Buzz Communications Group

Marianne Cerilli
Liberal Candidate - Winnipeg North

Hon. Dr. Rey D. Pagtakhan, P.C., LL.D., (Honoris causa), M.D.

Harvey Smith, City Councilor

Shahina Siddiqui
President/Executive Director
Islamic Social Services Association Inc.-Canada

Lloyd Kornelsen, PhD Student
Education / Peace Studies, University of Manitoba

Peyton Lyon, Professor Emeritus
Political Science, Carleton University

Peter Miller, Senior Scholar
University of Winnipeg

Jesse Vorst (very Jewish)
Department of Economics
University College, University of Manitoba

Frances Russell, Journalist and author

Nykola Dubenski, Communications inter alia

Liz Findlay, CFP
Certified Financial Planner

David Pankratz, Director
Institute for Community Peace building

Jane Runner, Program Manager
Transition, Education and Resources for Females (TERF)
New Directions for Children, Youth, Adults and Families

 

Cueball Cueball's picture

breezescream wrote:

Cueball wrote:  "It has been widely reporter numerous times that various intelligence agencies warned the US of the attack. In fact, Condeleeza Rice recieved a brief from the CIA describing precisely the kind of attack that might be made in one of her own intelligence briefings."

Proof, anyone?  Anyone?

You don't know this?

Unionist

The frenzy-mongers in this thread are guilty of the same lies as Harper, pointed to in the above letter. They are the same character assassins who spewed venom against George Galloway. Their lies are damaging to the Jewish people, precisely because they keep repeating (like Farber and Dimant and others of that species) that they are "Jews". There is nothing Jewish about them. But ignorant people will connect their lies and slanders to the Jewish people, and antisemitism will be fueled accordingly. That's why it is incumbent on progressive Jews, at all times, to condemn and expose these criminals who purport to speak in our name.

Snert Snert's picture

Quote:

So I guess then that the London Telegraph, the Jerusalem Post and Fox News are all anti-semitic organizations filled with whack jobs.

 

 

Did these organizations claim that "the intelligence agencies of Germany, Israel and Russia all warned the CIA that the attacks of Sept. 11 were coming"?

 

Or did they claim that all the Israelis broke their leases and stayed home? No, they're not the same thing.

Unionist

Cueball, with all due respect, I plead with you not to turn this thread into a debate over 9/11. This is about whether Lesley Hughes - or anyone - can be vilified for expressing views about whether a conspiracy was at work or not. This is about crushing of dissent in a supposedly democratic society. There are plenty of the other kinds of thread for the other debate.

I wish Lesley every success in her lawsuit, although I can't confess to much optimism. More important is that public opinion be corrected on the McCarthyite smear job that has been done against her.

Cueball Cueball's picture

Two Months Before 9/11, an Urgent Warning to Rice

Quote:
On July 10, 2001, two months before the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, then-CIA Director George J. Tenet met with his counterterrorism chief, J. Cofer Black, at CIA headquarters to review the latest on Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaeda terrorist organization. Black laid out the case, consisting of communications intercepts and other top-secret intelligence showing the increasing likelihood that al-Qaeda would soon attack the United States. It was a mass of fragments and dots that nonetheless made a compelling case, so compelling to Tenet that he decided he and Black should go to the White House immediately.

Tenet called Condoleezza Rice, then national security adviser, from the car and said he needed to see her right away. There was no practical way she could refuse such a request from the CIA director.

I know. I know, its the Washington Post, but I really couldn't find a better source. It's have to do.

Cueball Cueball's picture

Quit trying to run the board. She asked me to provide proof that Condeleeza Rice was warned prior to the 9/11 attacks. She is saying that these reports are false and part of a wild conspiracy theory designed to vilify Jewish people. These are indeed widely reported facts as found in the mainstream press. This fact has been established.

If Hughes is therefore a wild eyed conspiracy theorist, then so is the Washington Post editorial board.

Don't try and turn this into some kind of meta debate debate about debating.

breezescream

No Cueball, I don't know this.  Back it up.

 

Cueball Cueball's picture

Washington Post isnt good enough for you?

Cueball Cueball's picture

I am glad she is suing. Where can I send the donation?

Something for Bernie to consider:

Unionist wrote:

In an online readers poll today, the Winnipeg Free Press asked: “Do you think Liberal leader Stephane Dion was right to turf Lesley Hughes over 9/11 conspiracy writings?” Of the 2,469 readers who have responded to date, 73 percent have said “No.”

 

In other words 73 percent of online readers of the WFP who chose to respond, are tired of the boy who cried wolf.

breezescream

From the Washington Post story:  "There was no conclusive, smoking-gun intelligence, but there was such a huge volume of data that an intelligence officer's instinct strongly suggested that something was coming." 

How could Rice or anyone else act on non-specific information?  For years people knew Al Qaeda was a threat, especially after the USS Cole bombing, but what do you do with vague information?

All that aside, for a serious journalist to entertain the notion and publish a demented conspiracy theory that Jews were forewarned, is at best irresponsible and at worst, anti-semitic psychosis.

 

Unionist

breezescream wrote:

All that aside, for a serious journalist to entertain the notion and publish a demented conspiracy theory that Jews were forewarned, is at best irresponsible and at worst, anti-semitic psychosis.

 

Sorry - who published a theory that Jews were forewarned?

Cueball Cueball's picture

breezescream wrote:

From the Washington Post story:  "There was no conclusive, smoking-gun intelligence, but there was such a huge volume of data that an intelligence officer's instinct strongly suggested that something was coming." 

How could Rice or anyone else act on non-specific information?  For years people knew Al Qaeda was a threat, especially after the USS Cole bombing, but what do you do with vague information?

All that aside, for a serious journalist to entertain the notion and publish a demented conspiracy theory that Jews were forewarned, is at best irresponsible and at worst, anti-semitic psychosis.

 

I am not interested in the veracity of the Washington Post story or what conclusions can be drawn. If you are really interested you can go do the first hand research yourself.

I posed the following: That Hughes was asserting "facts" that were well established in the mainstream press", and that as such she was well within her rights to reprint those facts, right or wrong, based on legitimate news stories. You challenged me on the facts, and asked me for prove that Condeleeza Rice was given advance information. I have established one fact, out of several that have been proposed here.

If you want to check the rest be my guest. But rather than prove you are wrong over and over again, for an afternoon, I will do something else. You can draw your own conclusions about what Rice thought about the facts as presented to her.

Thanks.

ETA: When this goes to trial I am sure Hughes will outline "the facts" based in original copies of the relevant sources and you can review them at that time.

remind remind's picture

http://www.jpost.com/Editions/2001/09/17/News/News.3495...

"Mossad officials traveled to Washington last month to warn the CIA and the FBI that a cell of up to 200 terrorists was planning a major operation, according to a report in the Sunday Telegraph here yesterday.

The paper said the Israeli officials specifically warned their counterparts in Washington that "large-scale terrorist attacks on highly visible targets on the American mainland were imminent." They offered no specific information about targets, but they did link the plot to Afghanistan-based terrorist Osama bin Laden, and they told the Americans there were "strong grounds" for suspecting Iraqi involvement.

A US administration official told the paper that it was "quite credible" that the CIA did not heed the Mossad warning: "It has a history of being over-cautious about Israeli information." But the official noted that "if this is true, then the refusal to take it seriously will mean heads will roll."

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&add...

~

"In the second week of August 2001, two high-ranking agents from the Mossad, the Israeli intelligence agency, came to Washington and warned the CIA and FBI that 50 to 200 al-Qaeda terrorists had slipped into the US and were planning an imminent “major assault on the US” aimed at a “large scale target” [Telegraph, 9/16/01, Los Angeles Times, 9/20/01, Ottawa Citizen, 9/17/01 Fox News, 5/17/02]. Near the end of August, France also gave a warning that was an “echo” of Israel’s. [Fox News, 5/17/02]

In October 2002, the story broke in Europe and Israel that on August 23, 2001, the Mossad had given the CIA a list of 19 terrorists living in the US. The Mossad had said that the terrorists appeared to be planning to carry out an attack in the near future. It is unknown if these are the same 19 names as the actual hijackers, or if the number is a coincidence. However, the four names on the list that are known are names of the 9/11 hijackers: Nawaf Alhazmi, Khalid Almihdhar, Marwan Alshehhi, and Mohamed Atta. [Die Zeit, 10/1/02, Der Spiegel, 10/1/02, BBC, 10/2/02, Ha’aretz, 10/3/02]

http://www.historycommons.org/essay.jsp?article=essaytheytriedtowarnus


breezescream

Unionist:  Hughes was “reporting” alternate theories to the generally “accepted” version of the events of September 11.  We can play the game of semantics, but what for?

Cueball:  No where in that Post story was the "fact" that Jews were forewarned.

Unionist, you wrote:  "Their lies are damaging to the Jewish people, precisely because they keep repeating (like Farber and Dimant and others of that species) that they are "Jews". There is nothing Jewish about them." 

I know this is off topic, but I'm interested to know what you think it means to be a Jew.  Religious belief?  Blood line?  Culture?

remind remind's picture

Now all that Hughes did was address th ese world wide reports that the US rulers had been warned but did nothing, and she said nothing that could be construed as anti-semite.

remind remind's picture

Cueball wrote:
I am glad she is suing. Where can I send the donation?

Something for Bernie to consider:

Unionist wrote:
In an online readers poll today, the Winnipeg Free Press asked: “Do you think Liberal leader Stephane Dion was right to turf Lesley Hughes over 9/11 conspiracy writings?” Of the 2,469 readers who have responded to date, 73 percent have said “No.”

In other words 73 percent of online readers of the WFP who chose to respond, are tired of the boy who cried wolf.

I am glad too, and it is probably scaring the shit of  the CJC and BB.

contrarianna

Perhaps Leslie wasn't reading the Washington Post but some bizzare, anti-semetic newspaper such as, er, ah, Haaretz?

Quote:

Odigo says workers were warned of attack
By Yuval Dror

Odigo, the instant messaging service, says that two of its workers received messages two hours before the Twin Towers attack on September 11 predicting the attack would happen, and the company has been cooperating with Israeli and American law enforcement, including the FBI, in trying to find the original sender of the message predicting the attack.

Micha Macover, CEO of the company, said the two workers received the messages and immediately after the terror attack informed the company's management, which immediately contacted the Israeli security services, which brought in the FBI...

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=77744
====
At least Leslie said that Israel tried to actually WARN the US. and never went as far to say, as some sick, psychopathic fringies have, that 9/11 would have been good for Israel:

Haaretz.com

Quote:
Last update - 00:00 16/04/2008                
Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks good for Israel
By Haaretz Service and Reuters
Tags: Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu

The Israeli newspaper Ma'ariv on Wednesday reported that Likud leader Benjamin Netanyahu told an audience at Bar Ilan university that the September 11, 2001 terror attacks had been beneficial for Israel.

"We are benefiting from one thing, and that is the attack on the Twin Towers and Pentagon, and the American struggle in Iraq," Ma'ariv quoted the former prime minister as saying. He reportedly added that these events "swung American public opinion in our favor...."

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/975574.html

Cueball Cueball's picture

breezescream wrote:

Cueball:  No where in that Post story was the "fact" that Jews were forewarned.

1) And no where is there a sentence in Hughes story that "the Jews were forewarned."

2) You did not ask me to prove that "the Jews were forewarned"

3) Condeleeza Rice is not Jewish.

4) I did not say the Condeleeza Rice was Jewish

5) Condeleeza Rice does not in any way shape or form represent Jews, in whole or in part.

6) I did not say that Condeleeza Rice represents Jews in whole or in part.

7) I said that Condeleeza Rice was forewarned.

You asked for proof of the following:

breezescream wrote:

Cueball wrote:  "It has been widely reporter numerous times that various intelligence agencies warned the US of the attack. In fact, Condeleeza Rice recieved a brief from the CIA describing precisely the kind of attack that might be made in one of her own intelligence briefings."

Proof, anyone?  Anyone?

I have offered proof for exactly one fact, from a reputable source. As I said the sources for the others that I posited, are available elsewhere, and are as true as the one about Condeleeza Rice.

Now before I get embroiled any further in this dishonest, cyncial and manipulative interogation, where you shift questions, and intentionally misquote people (lie), both me an Hughes,  I am going to stop now, hoping against hope that you are the attorney handling the case for Mr. Farber.

 

 

Pages