Hassan Diab freed

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
lagatta4
Hassan Diab freed

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/hassan-diab-back-in-canada-1.4489738 Ottawa academic Hassan Diab has returned home after a nine-year ordeal, including three years in a maximum-security prison in France.

Diab's supporters in Canada have long argued that he should never have been extradited to a foreign country on the basis of evidence that would not have stood up in a Canadian court.

Judges in France ordered Diab's release on at least eight occasions before he was finally set free, but under the French system prosecutors were able to keep him behind bars by appealing those release orders on grounds that Diab was a flight risk and public danger.

He remained imprisoned despite the fact that he did not match a fingerprint left by the perpetrator of the Paris bombing in 1980, and could demonstrate that he was in fact sitting exams in Beirut at the time it occurred. Both university records, and the stamps in Diab's passport, backed his claims.

Bombing a synagogue is a heinous crime, as are attacks on any place of worship - or for that matter anywhere people congregate. Like recent attacks on mosques and churches by white supremacists, it is also a hate crime. But there is no valid evidence that Dr. Diab committed it.... I wonder if there was some kind of rush to judgement to find a culprit?

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

lagatta4 wrote:

 

.

Bombing a synagogue is a heinous crime, as are attacks on any place of worship - or for that matter anywhere people congregate. Like recent attacks on mosques and churches by white supremacists, it is also a hate crime. But there is no valid evidence that Dr. Diab committed it.... I wonder if there was some kind of rush to judgement to find a culprit?

Mass shootings by white supremacists..Even the mass shooting in Las Vegas a few months ago, are not hate crimes but text book terrorism.

Unfortunately,that term only applies to Muslims. White domestic terror is always downplayed as a lone 'madman'

I find that hate crimes are generally verbal,vandalism and simple assaults.  

Bombing a mosque or any other public building is terrorism. Point final.

Im just putting it out there.

lagatta4

Oh, I agree.

Photos of Hassan Diab's arrival in Ottawa and reunion with his family:

http://www.justiceforhassandiab.org/warm-welcome-for-hassan-at-ottawa-ai...

Glad to be home despite the coldest winter in decades!

http://www.justiceforhassandiab.org/ The Canadian committee; the committee in France is Le comité de soutien à Hassan Diab.

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Its just too easy and too frequent that Muslims are the sole perpetrators of terrorism.

I think if the NRA still existed and a pub in London was bombed,it would no longer be labeled 'terrorism' . Probably be dismissed as naughty lads up to no good.

Canada extradites citizens way too easily. Especially when it comes to the US. Interesting that Ottawa capitulated to French authorities.Where is the Canadian Charter of Rights when Canadians need it?

lagatta4

Canadian Jewish News has brought out a nasty article continuing to insinuate that Diab was guilty. Based on crap from its counterpart in France, CRIF.

NDPP

French Jews Protest Release of Canadian Accused In Synagogue Bombing

http://www.cjnews.com/news/international/french-jews-protest-release-can...

"CRIF calls on the public prosecutor to appeal the release..."

MegB

lagatta4 wrote:

Canadian Jewish News has brought out a nasty article continuing to insinuate that Diab was guilty. Based on crap from its counterpart in France, CRIF.

Even though it's been proven that he was in another country at the time of the bombing.

lagatta4

Yes, he was in his native Lebanon writing some kind of postgraduate exam. With passport stamps and attestation from the faculty to confirm it.

J'accuse! Framed like Captain Dreyfus on the basis of his cultural-religious affiliations. And I know CJNews will never print that, though it was a classic case of antisemitism against a "respectable" citizen in a "democratic" country.

laine lowe laine lowe's picture

Frightening that such a miscarriage of justice continues to this day - especially when so much evidence was presented that Diab wasn't even in the country. I am so relieved he is finally home with his family and hope he is reinstated at the university where he taught.

NDPP

An earlier CJN article from Nov., 2014 is illustrative of the powerful interests supporting this stitch-up...

Alleged Shul Bomber Extradited To France

http://www.cjnews.com/news/canada/alleged-shul-bomber-extradited-france

"...We are pleased that the highest court in the land will honour the French extradition request and allow the accused to return to France so the victims may have their day in court. Mr Diab will now be able to defend himself before France's judicial system, which is as impartial as Canada's,' said CIJA CEO Shimon Fogel.

'We are pleased that authorities in France and Canada pursued this case even after more than 30 years since the murderous attack on the Paris synagogue. This sends an important message that diligent, committed authorities will never cease in their pursuit of justice against terrorists on behalf of their victims,' Fogel said."

lagatta4

In other words, that they will just grab some random person who happens to be of the wrong nationality or ethnicity...

Unionist

lagatta4 wrote:

In other words, that they will just grab some random person who happens to be of the wrong nationality or ethnicity...

When you say "they" lagatta, whom do you mean? French authorities? Canadian authorities? CIJA? Carleton University? Just curious. This was a huge miscarriage of justice, but I think it's important to identify who was primarily to blame and who just went along for the ride.

lagatta4

I was simply referring to CJNews scapegoating Professor Diab. Yes, of course the Canadian and French authorities are the main culprits.

 

NDPP

Email Trail Reveals How Carleton University Responded To 2009 Hassan Diab Media Storm

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/email-trail-reveals-how-carleto...

"A Freedom of Information request into the hiring and dismissal of Hassan Diab at Carleton University in 2009 sheds light on the chain of events that led to his termination in a firestorm of controversy...

...On July 28, this newspaper reported that Diab was to resume teaching at Carleton...At 1:40 pm, Jacques Shore, then chairman of the board of governors forwarded an email he had received from Jewish Canada at 12:39 pm to Carleton's then-president, Roseann Runte. The email included a news release from the Jewish advocacy group B'nai Brith..."

lagatta4

What on earth is "Jewish Canada"? Googled it, found nothing, except normal entries about the history of Jews in Canada, Jewish Canadians, etc. No such group.

NDPP

www.jewishcanada.org

Falsely Accused Terrorism Suspect Released After 10-Year Ordeal

http://therealnews.com/t2/story:20984:Falsely-Accused-Terrorism-Suspect-...

"Sociology professor Hassan Diab, who was accused of a terrorist attack in Paris over ten years ago, was just released. Diab talks to TRNN about his ordeal in one of his first interviews upon his release..."

NDPP

Shinewald: My Declaration of Contrition

https://twitter.com/dimitrilascaris/status/1037893921563725825

"Benjamin Shinewald has the decency to own up to the role he played in the persecution of Hassan Diab. Regrettably, CIJA and Bnai Brith do not have that same decency."

NDPP

French Court Orders Hassan Diab to Stand Trial in Terrorism Case, Three Years After He was Set Free

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hassan-diab-france-1.5888310

"The decision of the French court of appeal today is the continuation of a long odyssey of injustice,' his extradition lawyer Donald Bayne, said at a news conference Wednesday..."

Hassan Diab Support Committee reacts to French Court Order

https://youtu.be/xYk7innyR90

"I respectfully submit that no justice system worthy of the name offers an innocent scapegoat to satisfy a demanding lobby..."

laine lowe laine lowe's picture

Wow, this is a shocking reversal. Is there new evidence? How is re-charging him legal?

NDPP

If the government does it, it's legal. If two government's do it, even more so, apparently. No wonder China's somewhat skeptical of Canadian assurances of an 'independent,' 'impartial' extradition process...

Justice For Hassan Diab: Organisations Call for Public Inquiry into Hassan Diab's Extradition Case

https://www.justiceforhassandiab.org/calls-for-public-inquiry

kropotkin1951

laine lowe wrote:

Wow, this is a shocking reversal. Is there new evidence? How is re-charging him legal?

The CBC article says he was never charged in the first place. We sent him to France based on a case that was not strong enough to initiate a prosecution under French law. The CBC piece says they let him go without charging him after three years of investigation while he was imprisoned.

Our bar for extradition is obviously way to low and our federal government needs to revamp that legislation.

NDPP

This from almost exactly a year ago:

Hassan Diab, family launch $90 m lawsuit against government after extradition on terror charge

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/hassan-diab-family-launch-90m-...

"..A notice of action was filed in court Friday and claims damages for 'negligence, negligent investigation, malicious prosecution, misfeasance in public office, spoilation of evidence, deceit, abuse of process, and intentional affliction of emotional distress.' The notice also alleges Canada's attorney general breached Diab's Charter rights and asks for 'punitive and exemplary damages.'

The notice names Diab, his wife Rania, and the couple's two children ages 5 and 7, as plaintiffs, claiming an abuse of process and the 'intentional infliction of emotional distress.' Diab's legal action comes after an external review of his case concluded that federal lawyers had acted ethically and lawfully in ordering his extradition. The review was conducted by Murray Segal..."

LOL...!

NDPP

Rubber Stamped: The Hassan Diab Story (and vid)

https://www.justiceforhassandiab.org/rubber-stamped

NDPP

Extraditing Hassan Diab a Second Time Would be a Travesty

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-extraditing-hassan-diab-...

"The freedom of one Canadian citizen is again being threatened, and with it the integrity of Canadian democracy. With formal charges being laid against a Canadian citizen by France, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's ability to stand up in the face of injustice - and in the face of a bullying ally is being put to the test.

In the event that France requests Mr Diab's extradition we call on Mr Trudeau to stay true to his words and refuse...."

Not again. Free Diab.

[email protected]

NDPP

Hassan Diab's French lawyers appeal to the Court of Cassation

http://www.justiceforhassandiab.org/

April 15.

jerrym

Diab has been ordered to stand trial by the French court. What a travesty!

Has anyone started a petition to demand that Trudeau not extradite him? The French court is reacting to  strong pressure from civil society groups rather than evidence.

All the Trudeau Liberal government is saying about the possibility of another extradition is ""It would be inappropriate to speculate on any potential requests for extradition for Dr. Diab to France".

France's top court has rejected Hassan Diab's appeal and ordered the Ottawa academic to stand trial for a bombing outside of a Paris synagogue 40 years ago.

Diab's family and his lawyers confirmed that France's court of cassation rejected their appeal in a written decision this morning. "We are very disappointed, of course. This is a hard turnout," said Amélie Lefebvre, one of Diab's French lawyers. "But we remain confident that Hassan's innocence will be recognized."

In January, France's court of appeal overturned a lower court decision that set the 67-year-old Diab free due to a lack of evidence.

France's Advocate General, a senior officer of the law who offers advice in the French legal system, sided with Diab's defence team in the hearings and argued for his release.

But Diab's release has been opposed by more than 20 civil society groups in France — including victims of terrorism groups and pro-Israel organizations.

Diab's Canadian lawyer Don Bayne said pressure from those groups played a role in today's decision.

"The travesty of justice continues despite clear evidence of Hassan's innocence," he said in a statement.

"This shows how political pressure trumps justice. We call upon Prime Minister Trudeau to put an end to this miscarriage of justice."

The Ottawa university lecturer was accused by authorities of involvement in the 1980 Rue Copernic bombing, which killed four people and injured more than 40. He was arrested by the RCMP in November 2008 and placed under strict bail conditions until he was extradited to France in 2014. He spent more than three years in prison in France before the case against him collapsed.

He was released in January 2018 after two French judges ruled the evidence against him wasn't strong enough to take to trial. He was never formally charged. French prosecutors appealed Diab's release promptly — pursuing it after the last remaining piece of physical evidence linking Diab to the bombing had been discredited by France's own experts. The case moved slowly as prosecutors sought to find new evidence against Diab, and as court proceedings were delayed by the pandemic.

The key physical evidence Canada relied on in extraditing Diab to France was handwriting analysis linking Diab's handwriting to that of the suspected bomber. Canadian government lawyers acting on France's behalf called it a "smoking gun" in the extradition hearing.

But in 2009, Diab's legal team produced contrary reports from four international handwriting experts. These experts questioned the methods and conclusions of the French experts. They also proved that some of the handwriting samples used by the French analysts belonged not to Diab but to his ex-wife. ...

In 2018, CBC News confirmed that France was aware of — and had failed to disclose — fingerprint evidence that ended up playing a critical role in Diab's release. Since his release, Diab has been living with his wife and two children in Ottawa. He has resumed work as a part-time lecturer.

A spokesperson for Attorney General of Canada David Lametti would not comment on any extradition request. "It would be inappropriate to speculate on any potential requests for extradition for Dr. Diab to France," said David Taylor in a statement.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hassan-diab-france-trial-1.6032288

laine lowe laine lowe's picture

It is a travesty.

NDPP

[quote=laine lowe]

It is a travesty.

[quote=NDPP]

And 'pro-Israel organizations.'

NDPP

Our extradition system is broken and Hassan Diab is paying with his life

https://ricochet.media/en/3653/our-extradition-system-is-broken-and-hass...

"France has shown that in politically charged counterterrorism proceedings, it will hold a Canadian citizen in solitary confinement for years without charge or trial...

'Five French civil organizations presenting as parties before the court petitioned the French appeal court to overturn the decision to release Diab. Among them was the Union liberale Israelite de France - the religious community of the Copernic Synagogue - and the Association francaise des victimes du Terrorisme, which engages as a civil party in terrorism cases and seeks to prevent all forms of terrorism with a focus on fighting 'barbarism' and 'jihadist' terrorism,  according to its website. [But not in Syria where France trained, supported and armed jihadi terrorists along with other western nations in a failed attempt at regime change in Syria.]

The groups who appeared before the court 'have been lobbying long and hard for continued prosecution, even arguing at one point that, 'Okay, the evidence is so weak, he's likely to be acquitted at trial. But we want a trial anyway..."

The calculus is not in his favour. Strong pro-Israel groups wish to make a point, irregardless of actual guilt, the Canadian government is not known to oppose these interests and Canadians en masse are not known to take any interest in such matters. Respect and solidarity for Diab, his family and his stalwart supporters. Please support in any way you can.

Free Hassan Diab!

NDPP

Canada should suspend its extradition treaty with France over the persecution of Hassan Diab

https://buff.ly/2SVKql6

"...And yet, outrageously, here it is, happening again. The court of cassation's decision is perverse, made comprehensible only by the fact that a powerful victims' [Zionist] lobby in France has publicly pressured the government to put someone on trial for the 1980 bombing. The fact that Diab is not even a reasonable suspect in the case seems not to matter..."

Suspend the treaty!

Free Hassan Diab!

[email protected]

jerrym

NDPP wrote:

Canada should suspend its extradition treaty with France over the persecution of Hassan Diab

https://buff.ly/2SVKql6

"...And yet, outrageously, here it is, happening again. The court of cassation's decision is perverse, made comprehensible only by the fact that a powerful victims' [Zionist] lobby in France has publicly pressured the government to put someone on trial for the 1980 bombing. The fact that Diab is not even a reasonable suspect in the case seems not to matter..."

Suspend the treaty!

Free Hassan Diab!

[email protected]

I sent the email to Trudeau. Here's more on ending the extradition treaty with France.

Journalists discovered that fingerprint evidence that excluded Diab from being the bomber had been withheld from the Canadian courts. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised to get to the bottom of the case and "make sure this never happens again."

And yet, outrageously, here it is, happening again. The court of cassation's decision is perverse, made comprehensible only by the fact that a powerful victims' lobby in France has publicly pressured the government to put someone, anyone, on trial for the 1980 bombing. The fact that Diab is not even a reasonable suspect in the case seems not to matter.

The prime minister recently claimed that Canada was "standing up" for Diab, as it would for other citizens targeted for unfair prosecution by foreign states; but it is not clear what is being done, and in any event, it appears it is not working.

It is time that the government of Canada took both diplomatic and legal steps to push back against France's unfair and unlawful pursuit of a Canadian citizen. Such steps would be unusual and would have to be cautiously applied, since governments do not lightly interfere with how foreign states administer their criminal law, particularly when those foreign states are historical allies like France. But this is an unusual case, and there are international law considerations that Canada can bring into play, if it has the political will to protect its citizen.

France is arguably in breach of the United Nations International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), under which it is obliged both to ensure fair criminal investigation and trial procedures, and to send people to trial within a reasonable time. These are obligations owed to Canada, which is also a party to the treaty, and neither seems to have been complied with here.

https://rabble.ca/news/2021/06/canada-should-suspend-its-extradition-tre...

 

NDPP

TRNN: France's attempts to extradite Hassan Diab have chilling implications

https://therealnews.com/frances-attempts-to-extradite-hassan-diab-have-c...

"The French government has renewed its attempts to extradite professor and exonerated  terrorism suspect Hussan Diab. Canada's government must oppose any effort to extradite professor Diab..."

This is an act of  continuing western Islamophobia just as surely as a Canadian pickup truck mowing down an innocent family.

laine lowe laine lowe's picture

True enough, NDPP. I hope Canada will reconsider being complicit in this sham. France has been the worst offender among the western governments when it comes to Islamophobic policies and laws.