The new babble quote function: stop using it.

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Catchfire Catchfire's picture
The new babble quote function: stop using it.

Catchfire wrote:
It would be great if
Catchfire wrote:
babblers could stop
Catchfire wrote:
quoting posters at length
Catchfire wrote:
for no discernable reason
only to type
a one line response

It needlessly lengthens threads, derails discussion and makes it difficult to follow a thread.

Thanks!

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
It would be great if
Catchfire wrote:
babblers could stop
Catchfire wrote:
quoting posters at length
Catchfire wrote:
for no discernable reason
only to type
a one line response

It needlessly lengthens threads, derails discussion and makes it difficult to follow a thread.

Thanks!

Okay!Laughing

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

Boom Boom wrote:
Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
It would be great if
Catchfire wrote:
babblers could stop
Catchfire wrote:
quoting posters at length
Catchfire wrote:
for no discernable reason
only to type
a one line response

It needlessly lengthens threads, derails discussion and makes it difficult to follow a thread.

Thanks!

Okay!Laughing

Bump!

Sven Sven's picture

Catchfire wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:
Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
It would be great if
Catchfire wrote:
babblers could stop
Catchfire wrote:
quoting posters at length
Catchfire wrote:
for no discernable reason
only to type
a one line response

It needlessly lengthens threads, derails discussion and makes it difficult to follow a thread.

Thanks!

Okay!Laughing

Bump!

 

That's not a bad idea.

 

 

____________________________________________________

Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!

 

Ken Burch

Sven wrote:
Catchfire wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:
Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
It would be great if
Catchfire wrote:
babblers could stop
Catchfire wrote:
quoting posters at length
Catchfire wrote:
for no discernable reason
only to type
a one line response

It needlessly lengthens threads, derails discussion and makes it difficult to follow a thread.

Thanks!

Okay!Laughing

Bump!

 

That's not a bad idea.

 

 

 

Perhaps it will catch on.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Our Demands Most Moderate are/
We Only Want The World!
-James Connolly

Unionist

Ken Burch wrote:
Sven wrote:
Catchfire wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:
Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
Now if
Catchfire wrote:
only
Catchfire wrote:
everyone
Catchfire wrote:
could learn
to use
taglines,

we could

cleverly combine

two

useful

 

new functions

 

 

 

into one!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________ Our Demands Most Moderate are/ We Only Want The World! -James Connolly

 

_________________________________________________

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.

Jingles

Unionist wrote:
Ken Burch wrote:
Sven wrote:
Catchfire wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:
Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
Now if
Catchfire wrote:
only
Catchfire wrote:
everyone
Catchfire wrote:
could learn
to use
taglines,

we could

cleverly combine

two

useful

 

new functions

 

 

 

into one!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________ Our Demands Most Moderate are/ We Only Want The World! -James Connolly

 

_________________________________________________

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.

I'll say that again. 

Maysie Maysie's picture

Stop the insanity!! Argh!! 

............

Maysie: the babbler formerly known as bigcitygal.

Fidel

Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
It would be great if
Catchfire wrote:
babblers could stop
Catchfire wrote:
quoting posters at length
Catchfire wrote:
for no discernable reason
only to type
a one line response

It needlessly lengthens threads, derails discussion and makes it difficult to follow a thread.

Thanks!

 

I agree 

Jingles wrote:
Unionist wrote:
Ken Burch wrote:
Sven wrote:
Catchfire wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:
Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
Now if
Catchfire wrote:
only
Catchfire wrote:
everyone
Catchfire wrote:
could learn
to use
taglines,

we could

cleverly combine

two

useful

 

new functions

 

 

 

into one!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________ Our Demands Most Moderate are/ We Only Want The World! -James Connolly

 

_________________________________________________

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.

I'll say that again. 

Say what again?

Ze

Fidel wrote:

Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
It would be great if
Catchfire wrote:
babblers could stop
Catchfire wrote:
quoting posters at length
Catchfire wrote:
for no discernable reason
only to type
a one line response

It needlessly lengthens threads, derails discussion and makes it difficult to follow a thread.

Thanks!

 

I agree 

Jingles wrote:
Unionist wrote:
Ken Burch wrote:
Sven wrote:
Catchfire wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:
Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
Now if
Catchfire wrote:
only
Catchfire wrote:
everyone
Catchfire wrote:
could learn
to use
taglines,

we could

cleverly combine

two

useful

 

new functions

 

 

 

into one!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________ Our Demands Most Moderate are/ We Only Want The World! -James Connolly

 

_________________________________________________

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.

I'll say that again. 

Say what again?

 Someone set the nested quote maximum to 3 in the name of all that's unholy! 

Sven Sven's picture

Ken Burch wrote:
Sven wrote:
Catchfire wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:
Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
It would be great if
Catchfire wrote:
babblers could stop
Catchfire wrote:
quoting posters at length
Catchfire wrote:
for no discernable reason
only to type
a one line response

It needlessly lengthens threads, derails discussion and makes it difficult to follow a thread.

Thanks!

Okay!Laughing

Bump!

 

That's not a bad idea.

 

 

 

Perhaps it will catch on.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________Our Demands Most Moderate are/We Only Want The World!-James Connolly

 

Hey, what is everyone complaining about?  This is the ONE new feature of the "new" babble that I like best!!!  Tongue out 

 

____________________________________________________

Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!

 

Michelle

This is my new LEAST favorite thread!  :D  (Actually, I quite like it, it illustrates the point perfectly.  Thanks, Catchfire!)

Ze

Ze wrote:
Fidel wrote:

Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
It would be great if
Catchfire wrote:
babblers could stop
Catchfire wrote:
quoting posters at length
Catchfire wrote:
for no discernable reason
only to type
a one line response

It needlessly lengthens threads, derails discussion and makes it difficult to follow a thread.

Thanks!

 

I agree 

Jingles wrote:
Unionist wrote:
Ken Burch wrote:
Sven wrote:
Catchfire wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:
Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
Now if
Catchfire wrote:
only
Catchfire wrote:
everyone
Catchfire wrote:
could learn
to use
taglines,

we could

cleverly combine

two

useful

 

new functions

 

 

 

into one!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________ Our Demands Most Moderate are/ We Only Want The World! -James Connolly

 

_________________________________________________

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.

I'll say that again. 

Say what again?

 Someone set the nested quote maximum to 3 in the name of all that's unholy! 

 Please! 

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

Michelle wrote:
This is my new LEAST favorite thread!  :D  (Actually, I quite like it, it illustrates the point perfectly.  Thanks, Catchfire!)

Sorry Michelle, could you be more specific? I don't know what you're referring to. Maybe you could quote the thread in question?

Papal Bull

Ze wrote:
Ze wrote:
Fidel wrote:

Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
It would be great if
Catchfire wrote:
babblers could stop
Catchfire wrote:
quoting posters at length
Catchfire wrote:
for no discernable reason
only to type
a one line response

It needlessly lengthens threads, derails discussion and makes it difficult to follow a thread.

Thanks!

 

I agree 

Jingles wrote:
Unionist wrote:
Ken Burch wrote:
Sven wrote:
Catchfire wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:
Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
Now if
Catchfire wrote:
only
Catchfire wrote:
everyone
Catchfire wrote:
could learn
to use
taglines,

we could

cleverly combine

two

useful

 

new functions

 

 

 

into one!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________ Our Demands Most Moderate are/ We Only Want The World! -James Connolly

 

_________________________________________________

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.

I'll say that again. 

Say what again?

 Someone set the nested quote maximum to 3 in the name of all that's unholy! 

 Please! 

Ha ha, catchfire reminded me of this. He goofed!

Boom Boom Boom Boom's picture

Papal Bull wrote:

Ze wrote:
Ze wrote:
Fidel wrote:

Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
It would be great if
Catchfire wrote:
babblers could stop
Catchfire wrote:
quoting posters at length
Catchfire wrote:
for no discernable reason
only to type
a one line response

It needlessly lengthens threads, derails discussion and makes it difficult to follow a thread.

Thanks!

 

I agree 

Jingles wrote:
Unionist wrote:
Ken Burch wrote:
Sven wrote:
Catchfire wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:
Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
Now if
Catchfire wrote:
only
Catchfire wrote:
everyone
Catchfire wrote:
could learn
to use
taglines,

we could

cleverly combine

two

useful

 

new functions

 

 

 

into one!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________ Our Demands Most Moderate are/ We Only Want The World! -James Connolly

 

_________________________________________________

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.

I'll say that again. 

Say what again?

 Someone set the nested quote maximum to 3 in the name of all that's unholy! 

 Please! 

Ha ha, catchfire reminded me of this. He goofed!

I don't understand - why should we stop using the new babble quote function?

j.m.

Boom Boom wrote:
Papal Bull wrote:

Ze wrote:
Ze wrote:
Fidel wrote:

Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
It would be great if
Catchfire wrote:
babblers could stop
Catchfire wrote:
quoting posters at length
Catchfire wrote:
for no discernable reason
only to type
a one line response

It needlessly lengthens threads, derails discussion and makes it difficult to follow a thread.

Thanks!

 

I agree 

Jingles wrote:
Unionist wrote:
Ken Burch wrote:
Sven wrote:
Catchfire wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:
Catchfire wrote:

Catchfire wrote:
Now if
Catchfire wrote:
only
Catchfire wrote:
everyone
Catchfire wrote:
could learn
to use
taglines,

we could

cleverly combine

two

useful

 

new functions

 

 

 

into one!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________ Our Demands Most Moderate are/ We Only Want The World! -James Connolly

 

_________________________________________________

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.

I'll say that again. 

Say what again?

 Someone set the nested quote maximum to 3 in the name of all that's unholy! 

 Please! 

Ha ha, catchfire reminded me of this. He goofed!

I don't understand - why should we stop using the new babble quote function?

Yeah, is it the quote function or the use of the quote function?

Oh, somebody quote me!

Fidel

I think the quote feature is an aid for continuity of discussion and should not be used excessively. I often wonder why babblers sometimes quote a mile long post only to add, "Yes", or "I disagree" or "I agree"

And further, I am not a wordsmith myself, but I do realize that we should post as few words as possible as a courtesy to others reading. English teachers have told me time and time again not to write more than I have to. Writing shorter paragraphs and essays takes a lot more effort than writing needlessly long and boring diatribes. No one wants to read more than they have to in order to get what it is you're trying to say. The good writers say what they need to in as few words as possible and without mincing words. I am guilty of doing the opposite most of the time.

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

Strunk wrote:
O
Strunk wrote:
M
Strunk wrote:
I
Strunk wrote:
T
Strunk wrote:
N
Strunk wrote:
E
Strunk wrote:
E
Strunk wrote:
D
Strunk wrote:
L
E
S
S
W
O
R
D
S

Caissa

Or you could use Caissa's third person method (tm)

oldgoat

When you scroll through this quickly you get a cool wavey effect.

 

Very trippy

Maysie Maysie's picture

Great, now I feel nauseous.

oldgoat

Back in my acid days this sort of thing could keep me amused well into the night.

Papal Bull

I can't imagine that LSD and babble are a good combination. I believe that the terminology is 'bad trip'.

Ken Burch

"...don't post about the brown acid..."

RevolutionPlease RevolutionPlease's picture

Is it karma I made fake acid and the kids thought they were high?